Newbie Question(s) so dumb, you're afraid to even ask!

Hey folks, just wanted to start off by saying hi to everyone.
I'm pretty new to the SEO game and slowly learning.

My content is getting impressions, but no clicks.
Is there a standard CLR and does it change with ranking?

A site ranking at the bottom of Google's first page will get impressions, but no one really clicks down there. As your site ranks higher, you'll get a lot more clicks. The two lines in Google Search Console will eventually merge. Keep pumping your site and you'll get there.

Two of my recent posts have mobile usability issue according to my search console.

1) clickable elements too close together
2) Text too small to read

I went through the post multiple times but I couldn't find anything that was too small or having clickable elements too close together. My previous posts have a similar format but they don't have this issue. Can someone help identify what could be the possible issue?

Can someone help identify what could be the possible issue?
Google sometimes (often) does not load the associated css so the page looks unstyled.

I used to validate the page when this happened but it is so common across all the sites that I don't waste my time now. It has no ill effects that I have experienced.

Any tips on finding reputable vendors for clothing? Example a vendor for quality White t shirts, etc.

Is there a way to import a set of photos into Wordpress media library and have the files be sorted in an alphabetical order of filename after import. Currently the files I am uploading are named as numbers from 1 to 20. But after I upload it to media library, the files are in random order. I can drag and drop one file at a time, but that would be tedious.

Hello - I'm fairly new to this space and have set up an info/affiliate marketing site over the past few months. I've seen a few recommendations and keep being told by Google to set up goals within Analytics. Whenever I go to try to do so, it feels like it's more intended for an e-commerce site or something with more of a funnel than what I currently have.

Do you use analytics goals in your affiliate sites? If so, how do you configure that generically or do you have any good resources I could take a look at?

Can I have 2 articles from my site show up both on #1 and #2 spot in the SERPs?

I have a keyword that has only 1-2 real competitors and I want do take both #1 and #2 spot for that keyword. Is it possible or does Google restrict that?

Essentially, its an up and coming lucrative keyword and I want to completely dominate it.

Which is more reliable for knowing your traffic from google search, GA or Search Console? And does anyone know why GA shows "keyword not provided" for some of the sessions?

Search console

That said I have seen keywords get their volume inflated very substantially by bot traffic so you still gotta look at the data and make sure it adds up.

And does anyone know why GA shows "keyword not provided" for some of the sessions?

Legal privacy issues, as far as I know. Google Analytics has a unique id for each visitor with a lot of identifiable data, so Google removed it, even before the european GDPR agreement.

Looking for ideas to buy ads or get us student eyeballs on a certain product I'm working on.

NB: I'm non resident in the USA

I have been playing with Google properties (iframes + links) and had good results. Do you guys know other ways to use them? I tried Amazon AWS and Windows storage but haven't seen any movement.

I recently bagged a good domain for a health related niche. Not sure what to do with it though. Easiest thing would be adsense site but it feels very lazy. Is adsense even allowed for health related niches?

Some additional questions:

1. How important are image file names? I usually name them by the associated sport, followed by a number (the order they fall in my folder).

2. For image alt tags, is using the header name that the image falls under a good method for alt tags?

3. When hiring writers from other countries (such as the Philippines) through Upwork (or similar sites) do you pay by the hour or by word? I’ve only paid US writers by word up until now but was wondering how you know the writer(s) is being truthful with the time he’s spending on an article.

1+2. Not important, but Alt tags should definitely be as descriptive as possible, I might write "red competition kettlebell for use in home training". Keep in mind we're not far off when Google will use AI to read the image.

3. I don't think anyone pays by the hour unless it's someone you have a long standing relationship with or they work in your office. Authority Hackers seem to pay by a combination of words and time, but I figure most writers wouldn't want it unless it's huge volume. Many writers like the idea of being paid if they're fast, which is why quality often drops over time.

What's the best method to add a simple buy button to a Wordpress site? Without adding a full on ecommerce plugin like Woocommerce. I have a few simple products I'd like to start selling on my content site.

So far I found Gumroad, which also has a WP plugin. Wondering if there is a better way to handle this.

What's the best method to add a simple buy button to a Wordpress site? Without adding a full on ecommerce plugin like Woocommerce. I have a few simple products I'd like to start selling on my content site.

So far I found Gumroad, which also has a WP plugin. Wondering if there is a better way to handle this.

Depending on what you are trying to do, PayPal is easy.

Random thought: you ever come across another site in your niche that gets 100k+ views a month (well, according to semrush) and don't see one sign of them monetizing?

Random thought: you ever come across another site in your niche that gets 100k+ views a month (well, according to semrush) and don't see one sign of them monetizing?
Yes, but a lot of sites make money selling sponsored content and doing behind the scenes deals. They might operate mailing lists too. They might exist to push an agenda and get funded by some "think tank" and make more money than we all make. You never know. But few sites that get a lot of traffic and required a lot of real effort just leave the money on the table. We just don't know where their table is located and who's hands are in the pie.

time has something to do with it or can you position a website fast? I am trying to plan in time a project that I am starting. That is why I need an estimate of how long it would take from the day I start to the day I can generate income with the web

time has something to do with it or can you position a website fast? I am trying to plan in time a project that I am starting. That is why I need an estimate of how long it would take from the day I start to the day I can generate income with the web
The quality of the answers you receive are entirely based on the quality of the questions you ask.

I'm not trying to be demeaning or anything, but your question is equivalent to the question "how long is a piece of string?" in that there's not enough information to answer your question.

We don't know:
  • Are you starting on an aged domain with existing backlinks?
  • What's the competition level of your vertical, niche, and keywords?
  • Do you have experience with on-page SEO?
  • Will you be earning or acquiring backlinks? If so, how many and how powerful?
  • What will your page speed and other technical SEO metrics be like?
  • How much content do you plan on publishing?
So on and so forth. We aren't psychic so if you don't tell us these things, we can't really give you an informed answer.

I can give you a roundabout answer though: You, specifically, as a newbie, should expect to learn and work for at least 2 years (best case scenario) if not more before you begin ranking well enough for high enough volume keywords to generate any significant money.

Otherwise you can take the shortcut and pay for Adwords ads in the SERPs.

Having several websites that rank well for specific searches and products, one completely service based, the other product line based, the service site is killing it and actually overwhelming client load. The product line is doing well, but not hitting as much traffic, growth and conversions as we would like.

Is there a resource here to help guide me through what I don't know to help increase those measures?

I know I need to build a better marketing plan, more "content" and offer value to the customer outside of the product itself (education/supplement recommendation) some of what we have but not extremely evident or motivating.

I'm just smart enough to be dangerous with marketing, so I'd love to have your opinion on where to start resource wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back