Newbie Question(s) so dumb, you're afraid to even ask!

Degree
Has anyone here ever used call tracking software, especially one that links up with Google Ads / Bing? I've gone looking at several different ones but not really sure which one to use.
Google Ads does have it's own call tracking/forwarding service: https://support.google.com/google-ads/answer/2382961

It can be used in call extensions and they also give you a javascript snippet which generates the forwarding number on your website as well: https://support.google.com/google-ads/answer/6095883

Degree
is domain register long enough but not starting out any projects, will count as new domain ? the domain was 2 years old, not build any single link. if that so, why many affiliate site with low-mid metric can get rank over keyword that they want, when i check out the aged of domain, much of them is 1 years +, so i guest they are not building a link regularly and just purchase the domain with 0 metrics and then build niche site on it.

what do you think? any experience on this kinda thing ?
As far as I know, if your domain is just "parked" with the registrar, it will still count as a new domain (as everyone can "harvest" age this way).

But if you actually build out a site and then let it sit (even without linkbuilding), it will start "aging". Hope that makes sense.

Cash Builder

BuSo Pro
Degree
I've been working on UK sites recently but I just logged into my US Amazon Associates account and I notice there is a new 'bonus' section. Anyone know what this is for?

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
@Cash Builder, I'm pretty sure that's just the new name for "Bounties," and they're going to create new ways to earn them. Like getting your first "Amazon Pantry" sale is one of them right now.

Stones

BuSo Pro
Degree
Sitebulb or Screming Frog? I like Sitebulb interface and how it presents data. But it just seems like a bit of a toy still.
I do like the crawl map map in SItebulb, makes explaining the topic easier.

Cash Builder

BuSo Pro
Degree
@Cash Builder, I'm pretty sure that's just the new name for "Bounties," and they're going to create new ways to earn them. Like getting your first "Amazon Pantry" sale is one of them right now.
Ahh makes sense, got exited there and thought they were bringing back the volume thresholds and percentage increase.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Ahh makes sense, got exited there and thought they were bringing back the volume thresholds and percentage increase.
I found something that confirms:

Definitely them rebranding Bounties and expanding them. Not sure why they haven't been clear about this.

Potatoe

BuSo Pro
Degree
The bounties thing is kind of neat, but is anyone really going to venture into a new niche over a couple extra bucks here and there? I don't really get what it's for. They have some for businesses tho, where you get $10-$15 IIRC for referring people to sign up for a free "Amazon Business Account" or whatever it was. I could see that adding up if someone has a big mailing list.

darkzerothree

DunkelNullDrei
Degree
Sitebulb or Screming Frog? I like Sitebulb interface and how it presents data. But it just seems like a bit of a toy still.
I do like the crawl map map in SItebulb, makes explaining the topic easier.
I need to Google sitebulb, it seems.
was just about to pull the trigger on screamingfrog

RBT

Degree
My GSC is showing several thousand impressions at #1 but no clicks for one keyword.

So I investigated a bit and found that the stock image that I used from canva (I have a subscription there) is being shown at the top of the search results. Its not an infographic or anything, just one of those generic stock images.

Please advise how I can fix this so that I can actually use GSC to analyze my content SEO. Is there a way to stop all my stock images from showing in results or something? I do have 2-3 infographcis but those never seem to rank :(

No wonder no one is clicking on those useless stock images. Why google even shows them is beyond me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Degree
My GSC is showing several thousand impressions at #1 but no clicks for one keyword.

So I investigated a bit and found that the stock image that I used from canva (I have a subscription there) is being shown at the top of the search results. Its not an infographic or anything, just one of those generic stock images.

Please advise how I can fix this so that I can actually use GSC to analyze my content SEO. Is there a way to stop all my stock images from showing in results or something? I do have 2-3 infographcis but those never seem to rank :(

No wonder no one is clicking on those useless stock images. Why google even shows them is beyond me.
Is the search type filter set to "Image" instead of "Web"?
Also, if you don't want images indexed you can set it up in the Yoast SEO plugin to not index attachments (assuming you're using WordPress and Yoast). Just go to "Search Appearance", click the "Media" tab and make sure "Redirect attachment URLs" is set to yes.

For those who've used Sendy, practically speaking, is there any difference between installing it in a folder versus a subdomain?

Degree
What is the meaning of "[redacted]" on the forum? Is it about deleted words for privacity reasons? Are they "forbidden" words on the forum?

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
What is the meaning of "[redacted]" on the forum? Is it about deleted words for privacity reasons? Are they "forbidden" words on the forum?
It's 99% of the time just a joke. Anyone can get in on it. Yesterday I did something like this in a thread: [REDACTED]. (click the fuzzy part, which is done using [ispoiler] tags.

It often means, and that specific case, that there's more to a story or to a tactic that I don't want to reveal but I've left enough hints that it can be figured out by anyone taking the time to think about it. Usually it's a joke with real truth behind it.

Sometimes it's simply a low-level, no-secrets-behind-it joke, too. One where you pretend you hold the secret keys to secret information, but it's all just for goofs.

Though I did [REDACT] a ton of stuff for real in one of my case study threads a while back. I shared openly back at the start before the forum had too many eyeballs on it. Eventually people started trying to play detective so I had to clean up the breadcrumb trail.

RBT

Degree
Is the search type filter set to "Image" instead of "Web"?
Also, if you don't want images indexed you can set it up in the Yoast SEO plugin to not index attachments (assuming you're using WordPress and Yoast). Just go to "Search Appearance", click the "Media" tab and make sure "Redirect attachment URLs" is set to yes.
It was web search, not images. That's what was annoying.

The keyword in that screenshot was an obvious case but on further investigation I found that it was happening for some of my other keywords as well. Quite an annoyance since it really messes up GSC analysis.

That Yoast setting has always been set to yes on my site. I don't think it prevents indexing. I think it just prevents new pages being created for each image. In my case, stock images were just ranking at the top on the web results carousal and getting thousands of impressions but no clicks.

I found that I can use robots.txt to stop indexing images but since I do have some infographics, I don't want to do that for now. What I have done for now is changed the files-names and alt-text of images to be less descriptive. That way, hopefully, google wont rank them for keywords.

JasonSc

BuSo Pro
Degree
I have a list of roughly 4000 sites, I would like to know if they have run any Google PPC campaigns in the last couple of years. I don't need granular information, just if they ever spent money on PPC. KW would be great, but not necessary.

I'm looking to do this in bulk. I couldn't find a bulk PPC checker in Ahrefs, SPyFu, SEMRush and ispionage, unless I over looked it.

Any suggestion, is greatly appreciated.

RBT

Degree
I have a question about back links.

I sent out a 100 emails asking for back-links and apparently I got some. However, I only found out by randomly checking some of the websites that I emailed. The links dont show in GSC, google search, Moz, Ahref anywhere.

How long does it take for back-links to update? Which tool is the best and most frequently updated? I thought GSC/ google search would be the fastest. I don't mind waiting but I have to send follow up emails.

Do I need to check all 100 sites manually? And 100 was just the first batch.

______

I have an update on my problem so I figured I'd post a reply in case anyone else ever has this issue.

Essentially, you search for the URL with the backlink on google. Then you click the tiny green arrow next to the URL and click on "cached". This shows you the cached version of the page, along with the date the cache was made!

In my case, the cache was dated 27 Oct and I def got the back-link after that. Why google has not crawled that DA 85 page in the last 18 days is beyond me. I guess I can check the other 100 sites one by one or just wait a few more days. :/

Wish there was a tool that could just open a 100 pages and Ctrl+F my website name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Degree
I have an update on my problem so I figured I'd post a reply in case anyone else ever has this issue.

Essentially, you search for the URL with the backlink on google. Then you click the tiny green arrow next to the URL and click on "cached". This shows you the cached version of the page, along with the date the cache was made!

In my case, the cache was dated 27 Oct and I def got the back-link after that. Why google has not crawled that DA 85 page in the last 18 days is beyond me. I guess I can check the other 100 sites one by one or just wait a few more days. :/

Wish there was a tool that could just open a 100 pages and Ctrl+F my website name.
Can't Screaming Frog do this?

Reactions: RBT
Degree
DA = domain authority. Domain authority is a fairly terrible metric, but even if you're using that, it's about the domain, not the page's authority. That page may have never been updated since written and may have few internal or inbound links, and therefore it's not going to be crawled regularly. 18 days is nothing. Come back if it hasn't been indexed in 6 months.