Newbie Question(s) so dumb, you're afraid to even ask!

mj22

Back War Mongering.
Degree
I noticed there was a line through a few peoples names, what does that mean? banned? I seen emp migrated over here but has a line in his name, did zingo ever make it over here?

Degree
I think so. There are easier fonts to read too.
I changed it to 20px on a gut feeling, might even go higher to 21 or 22.

I've noticed a new "low quality indicator" for me, are walls of text with small font online. It really turns me off. On the other hand, larger font sizes, optimized for reading (no sidebar, good line spacing etc), makes things pop and feel comfortable.

I also don't like the standard Arial font, but don't know which to replace it with. Should be a Sans Serif from what I gather about typeface psychology.

Calamari

BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
I also don't like the standard Arial font, but don't know which to replace it with. Should be a Sans Serif from what I gather about typeface psychology.
Sans serif fonts are a safe choice. That combined with the other things you mentioned will make your pages more likely to be read.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Should be a Sans Serif from what I gather about typeface psychology.
I tend to go with around 18px and a 1.7 line-height on sans-serif font. I spent an absurd amount of time reading up about typography for the internet at one point and that's what I boiled it down to.

The only other thing to think about is the length of the lines before they break to the next line. You don't want the columns of text too wide either.

Degree
Is buying stock video worth it?

I was very surprised to see $100 for even the cheapest 20 seconds cut, which was just a static background.

Is it really not possible to get pre-made video for less than several thousands? If so, you might as well just hire someone or get animation done.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Is buying stock video worth it?
It depends on how niched you're going. I was able to make the intro to my videos using footage I found here: https://videos.pexels.com

In the long run, you're probably better off buying a camera and lighting and learning to edit yourself, depending on how frequently you do it. It'll come out a lot cheaper after a few runs, except if you have the budget to blow on it and time matters more than that money.

Degree
Anyone ever experienced a penalty of a site just because it was added in the same search console as another site that got a penalty?

I am using different gmails for all my websites but obv Google knows which Gmail Accounts are connected.

Adding to this, general opinion on using WMT for expired domains where you recreated a lot of the old content? I could imagine that if Google ever decides to go after this practice it could lead them to all your other properties if they found one.

Degree
I have a question.

I have an amazon affiliate site that I manage and I use Amazon Native Ads on the site. For the past one month, I've discovered that I'm not getting any report on the Native Ads.

The ads shows without problem on my site but I'm getting zero clicks and earning in my amazon reports dashboard.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Or could this be from a conflicting plugin? Thanks

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Anyone ever experienced a penalty of a site just because it was added in the same search console as another site that got a penalty?
People used to fear that a bunch. I'm not sure it ever happened. I never heard of or experienced a case. Like you said, Google is going to know who owns the site. They're getting us through Analytics, Search Console, Gmail, Fonts, Sheets & Docs, Adsense... there's no escape. Usually they only hit the offending site.

The only time they go through and whack everything you own is if you're doing something really atrocious like running a huge PBN and selling links. It's happened to me before. Lost the entire PBN plus all of my sites got penalized, even if they were unrelated and "unlinked" in terms of Google accounts.

The ads shows without problem on my site but I'm getting zero clicks and earning in my amazon reports dashboard.
Have you double checked to make sure the tracking tag is on it? I feel like I read somewhere that there was some issue with them and OneLink, but that could be a false memory. Are you using OneLink? And are you sure you're actually getting clicks?

Degree
Ok I'm using my month's newbie question quota in one hit:
  1. When creating an affiliate site to get organic search traffic, is it an issue if all of my content is "money articles" (best X for Y, guide to X, product name reviews)? Or do I need some sort of supporting content to get Google on side?
  2. When using traffic leaking, do "money articles" change? Do you still leak to a best/guide/review articles, or is there a better strategy to follow there?

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
When creating an affiliate site to get organic search traffic, is it an issue if all of my content is "money articles" (best X for Y, guide to X, product name reviews)? Or do I need some sort of supporting content to get Google on side?
We talked about this a lot in the Google Fred thread. Google did seem to be cracking down on sites made with a pure "commercial affiliate" intent. The problem is that they targeted many variables. There seemed to be a high correlation of sites that took a hit that only focused on "money pages," however there were many that did that that did not get hit too. The ones that slipped through were likely already validated by links, age, etc. and/or didn't commit enough of the other sins to trip the radar.

Looking at this from another direction, there's no better way to rank pages than to get contextual links from related pages with targeted anchor texts. You can pull that off on your own site too. I always create supporting pages and arrange them into what I call "relevancy nets."

When using traffic leaking, do "money articles" change? Do you still leak to a best/guide/review articles, or is there a better strategy to follow there?
Yes, it changes. If you want huge success with traffic leaking, you don't match platforms to your content. You match your content to the platform, which allows you to use copywriting, exploit emotional triggers, take advantage of the psychological mind-state of the users of the platform you're targeting, etc. Otherwise you might get a tiny bit of traffic. If you do it right, you can get half a million hits in a day or more.

Degree
@jjj_
Ok I'm using my month's newbie question quota in one hit:
  1. When creating an affiliate site to get organic search traffic, is it an issue if all of my content is "money articles" (best X for Y, guide to X, product name reviews)? Or do I need some sort of supporting content to get Google on side?
I don't think you should stress about the ratio of money pages vs informational pages. Google doesn't have anything against affiliate money pages as long as the money page itself adds value and doesn't look like it's just made to get that affiliate click.

The following quoted paragraphs were taken from official Google support thread on affiliate programs. I've added my interpretation bellow each quote.

Our Webmaster Guidelines advise you to create websites with original content that adds value for users. This is particularly important for sites that participate in affiliate programs
My interpretation of this is that Google has more strict thin content triggers if you're affiliate.

Not every site that participates in an affiliate program is a thin affiliate. Good affiliates add value, for example by offering original product reviews, ratings, navigation of products or categories, and product comparisons.
However, they don't have anything against affiliates as long as they add value to users. By value I don't mean 1k, 2k, 5k, or 165k words of content. I mean actual helping people.

Affiliate program content should form only a minor part of the content of your site if the content adds no additional features.
If you don't add actual value with affiliate content, it doesn't matter if you have 1:0, 1:1 or 1:45 review to informational content ratio.

More actionable tips from Google itself:

• Ask yourself why a user would want to visit your site first rather than visiting the original merchant directly. Make sure your site adds substantial value beyond simply republishing content available from the original merchant.
  • When selecting an affiliate program, choose a product category appropriate for your intended audience. The more targeted the affiliate program is to your site's content, the more value it will add and the more likely you will be to rank better in Google search results and make money from the program. For example, a well-maintained site about hiking in the Alps could consider an affiliate partnership with a supplier who sells hiking books rather than office supplies.
  • Use your website to build community among your users. This will help build a loyal readership, and can also create a source of information on the subject you are writing about. For example, discussion forums, user reviews, and blogs all offer unique content and provide value to users.
  • Keep your content updated and relevant. Fresh, on-topic information increases the likelihood that your content will be crawled by Googlebot and clicked on by users.
Some actionable steps you can take:
  • Update money pages quarterly (add/remove products, change your top 10 table rankings, more info content etc.)
  • Add user ratings option to build a community
  • Focus on one niche & dominate it
  • Set up events like "table viewed", "product viewed", 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% scroll events in Google Analytics.
  • A/B test article introductions, layouts, etc. for better engagement on those events
  • Survey visitors with onpage surveys and react to changes.
  • Always have a floating "feedback" button on the right.
  • Add "why you can trust us" mini section (how many products you considered, how many hours of research, how many experts interviewed etc.)
  • Use heatmaps to see how people scroll & click
  • Watch visitor recordings to see how people engage with content.

Have in mind that value doesn't mean 1k, 2k, 5k or 156k words of content that were paid x or y dollars. Value is actual help to people and demonstration of expert view and deep understanding of topic/problem.

For example, you've asked

When creating an affiliate site to get organic search traffic, is it an issue if all of my content is "money articles" (best X for Y, guide to X, product name reviews)? Or do I need some sort of supporting content to get Google on side?
My reply contained a lot of content I copy pasted from Google webmaster guideliness but I've also (hopefully) added value by adding my intrepretation of it along with actionable steps you can take.

On the other hand, what do you think would happen if you've tasked your writer to answer your question in 1,000 words by the end of the week. I bet you'd realize she's not really an expert on the topic.

Of course, not all topics require such level of expertise as talking about SEO. However, people often realize when the content is filler fluffy. Maybe not all of them. Some of them will end up reading your article and clicking on Amazon links but what about 70% that bounced off your article?

Degree
Here's my newbie question even though I have been in SEO for a while now. When starting a new site from scratch which url style is more preferable and user friendly (which do you choose) www or no www.

I have seen arguments where www brings more trust with older users and looks more professional, then the experience argument where its easier to not type the www.

For those saying theres no difference, clearly there is although a smaller one, also when users type one over the other you push out a redirect that can add an extra half second to your page load time so getting the right one can save you some pagespeed. My guess is with an older demogrpahic stick with www with a younger one go no www?

ex.
WWW.mywebsite.com
vs
mywebsite.com

Degree
@tyealia, there's no SEO benefit involved with either choice. Even if someone types the wrong one and gets redirected, Google will pick that up and index the correct one.

As far as people, I don't care for the same reason. They end up at the right place. I've not had a redirect take half of a second before, but I moved away from cruddy shared servers too. I just ran a triple test where the redirect too 94ms, 107 ms, and 94ms.

I choose which to use entirely based on the domain name look and length. If it looks better with or without it, I go with that, as long as it's not really long. If it's a long domain, I'll usually drop the 'www'.

Sometimes not having 'www' can look more elegant and sophisticated, depending on the niche and site design.

Degree
I am reviewing the Digital Strategy Crash Course and there is mention of AIDA (attn, interest, decision, action). So let me get this straight - the bulk of my website pages should be attention grabbing pages that lead to interest/decision pages (like reviews) that lead to action pages (affiliate product landing pages or order forms), right? So what are examples of Attention pages and the difference between those pages and interest pages? So is the first "clickbaitey", the second "informational" and the third and fourth "reviews" and "landing pages" linking deeper and deeper into the funnel from the Attn pages down to the Action page?

Degree
@tyealia, there's no SEO benefit involved with either choice. Even if someone types the wrong one and gets redirected, Google will pick that up and index the correct one.

Sometimes not having 'www' can look more elegant and sophisticated, depending on the niche and site design.
Thanks Sam, I have hosgator cloud hosting business and drop the www vs adding it on timetofirstbyte was adding an additional 500ms for me.

I guess ill stick with www for small domains. I also read somewhere a survey was taken and 54% of people dropped the www when typing a domain now, but thats so miniscule it doesent seem to matter for the small redirect time difference.

Degree
I am reviewing the Digital Strategy Crash Course and there is mention of AIDA (attn, interest, decision, action). So let me get this straight - the bulk of my website pages should be attention grabbing pages that lead to interest/decision pages (like reviews) that lead to action pages (affiliate product landing pages or order forms), right? So what are examples of Attention pages and the difference between those pages and interest pages? So is the first "clickbaitey", the second "informational" and the third and fourth "reviews" and "landing pages" linking deeper and deeper into the funnel from the Attn pages down to the Action page?
You don't have to follow that model to the letter but ideally, here is how it could be done:

Attention: "10 crazy hole in one golf swings"

Interest: "Tutorial: How to hit longer with better golf clubs"

Decision: "Best long range drive clubs"

Action: "In depth review and voucher code for Golf Club 1" or you can skip this and let the vendor do it.

That's my interpretation. In reality, a lot of people will have Decision (i.e. reviews) in an Interest article.

Degree
I have a few stupid questions myself, so let's get started.
  1. Is there any issue if I only use pages on my website? This will mean that I won't create any post whatsoever, regardless of the keyword I am targeting. Even though I don't see any cons to this approach, I believe that with time it may get cluttery.
  2. Do you find any issue in not having a comments section on the pages (at least at the very beginning of the website)?
  3. If I created all the pages but some don't have content yet, should I just no-index those until I add the content? Could my site be penalized for thin content if I don't no-index those pages and leave them be?
Thanks in advance!

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
@amru82, pages and posts both spit out HTML. There's no difference in what search engines or browsers see. That difference is only there for you. The main difference is that you won't be able to use any taxonomy like categories and tags, but you'll be able to use a parent-child relation ship (or sub-pages, whatever they call it). When you do that, the parent slug will appear in the child page slug like a category would for posts.

I don't use comments on my projects anymore, not of any type. Yes, they can for sure be a positive engagement signal for the search engines but I simply don't want to take the time to manage them and have 100x the amount in spam bloating up my database and writing to the server all the time. That's not good for high traffic sites. It sucks to give up a possible ranking factor, but it's not worth the time or resource usage for me.

Yes, you can fall under the "thin content penalty" or get hit by the Panda algorithm if you have a bunch of no-content pages in the index. You could simply not link to them until they're ready but then again Wordpress will hit Ping-o-matic and give Google a way to find them and/or your sitemap will include them. I'd either no-index them or just not publish them until they're ready.

Degree
Oh, I have just remembered a question that I've had for quite some time now and it's been haunting me.

Let's say that I am building a website dedicated to running.

Keywords:

how to start running
benefits of running
proper running form
how to run correctly

My question is: would you rather create "The Ultimate Guide to Running" in which you cover the above plus more, or would you rather create individual articles for each and every single keyword?

Creating some sort of "the ultimate guide to..." would most likely be a huge ass pillar article (which we consider that would be made packed-full with value) and perhaps attract more backlinks/shares. However, making individual articles will allow for more specificity (especially in terms of on-page SEO).

So what is your guys' take on that?

Degree
@amru82
I'd say it depends.

Some sub-topics may need their own separate piece of content (for better user experience, conversion rate, etc).
You're speaking to your audience, then to the search engines. Not the other way around.

What I generally do is have a master post i.e "The Ultimate Guide to Running".
In it I'll add as many keywords (sub-topics) as possible, while still keeping it relevant, readable and interesting.

Then interlink the subtopic posts and the master post to:
- keep pagerank flowing,
- keep users on site, increasing their time on site & pages per session.

Degree
I've had success with both models.

For example, you might have an article that really goes into depth with "five finger running shoes", where you pull in a lot of studies, facts, illustrations etc, which would be too much if you had to do that for every subtopic in your ultimate guide. You'll still talk about it in your ultimate guide, but only a fraction, then link to the in depth article. What will happen here is that sometime your in depth guide will take off and sometimes it will underperform, while your ultimate guide will rank better. I take this is a sign to merge articles, where as if my in depth guide ranks well, I tend to expand and add more content to it.

Degree
There was a link shared here (cant find it), to a voice answering/international phone service thing, anyone know?