Newbie Question(s) so dumb, you're afraid to even ask!

TGZ

Degree
I have a simple question about marketing onReddit. I have created a subreddit in my niche and I am slowly growing it. I have a wiki and a recommended resources page, and I am going to monetize this as well as link useful resources and my content.

Q1: Can I link to a product with an affiliate link directly on Reddit, in a wiki or recommended resource page? e.g. in a blogging subreddit have recommended web hosting with an affiliate link?

Degree
Planning on building a long-term authority site and want to avoid spam, cause that seems to be the bane of long term projects from what I have gathered here.

What makes spam "spam" though? If I post a link on Pinterest to get a traffic leak going, is that considered spam or whitehat? Do I really have to be so super cautious about it and not do any promotion whatsoever?Where do I draw the line?

Degree
Planning on building a long-term authority site and want to avoid spam, cause that seems to be the bane of long term projects from what I have gathered here.

What makes spam "spam" though? If I post a link on Pinterest to get a traffic leak going, is that considered spam or whitehat? Do I really have to be so super cautious about it and not do any promotion whatsoever?Where do I draw the line?
Pinterest is pretty much whitehat. Go look up big websites that use pinterest, they all post multiple pins daily to their site. Just mix in a few of other peoples links and you're good.

I post my pins 5-10 times a day and get about 1-3k clicks to my site just from pinterest.

Degree
Pinterest is pretty much whitehat. Go look up big websites that use pinterest, they all post multiple pins daily to their site. Just mix in a few of other peoples links and you're good.

I post my pins 5-10 times a day and get about 1-3k clicks to my site just from pinterest.
1-3k clicks a day that is? Outstanding. I really should get going then, haha. Thanks!

Degree
1-3k clicks a day that is? Outstanding. I really should get going then, haha. Thanks!
Yea, it's nice. I suggest getting tailwind to schedule posts, and joining some tailwind tribes. Getting shares from other people helps alot, especially once you get a lucky share from a huge page. Its just a spiral of increasing traffic after that.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
@goin4destiny, Social Media is fine. You're allowed to promote your own projects. Reddit is fine too. You're going to have a hard time generating so many backlinks there that it becomes spam, unless you're abusing it by creating a sub-reddit and filling it with spam. And in that case the links are going to be worthless.

It's like anything... even white hat methods can become spam if you abuse them, like the old Guest Posting Networks which became huge PBNs. It's obvious when the line is crossed, and that's usually when it stops being authentic marketing and starts being about building the link.

Degree
Alright thank you guys so much for helping me out here! I would love to give a lil thumbs up to y'all but I don't find the button. Add that to the list of questions I am afraid to ask, but how do I like a post?

And yet another one: Silos must not be too deep, right? At what stage is it considered "too deep"? I have trouble finding a good answer for that. My URL would look something like that:

www.domain.com/category__a/subcategory_a/sub-subcategory_a/page

So three layers of category at max. That is... too deep right? From what I have heard, most recommend a depth of two categories at most. Can someone give me an educated opinion here? Thanks so much in advance, and if you're lucky, by the time you answer I will know how to like your post! :wink:

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
@goin4destiny, You can't like a post until you yourself have 3 posts and 3 likes under your belt. Then the ability to give likes appears at the bottom of each post.

The wisdom of not having too many sub-categories like you've illustrated comes from the days of flat file websites where you actually had to have them in subfolders and generally built the sites that way too, which meant you were creating a lot of leaps for search engine crawlers to go through. They give up after a certain number of leaps from where they start crawling.

These days, the advice against going that deep would be that it creates an unsightly URL. It can help the user to have the nested categories in the URL to a certain point, but then it becomes overwhelming too. If the purpose is to help your user navigate, then you'll be better served to do that with Breadcrumbs.

I've created sites with no categories in the URL at all but plenty of categories for real, which get shown in the breadcrumbs. I've also created sites with categories in the URL down to 2 levels. At this point in time, it doesn't really matter as long as they're clean and not too long. There's no substantial SEO benefit to having them shorter or longer. But cleaner is part of a better user interface. Rather than thinking about length, I'd urge you to think about visual cleanliness. And I wouldn't think more than 2 levels deep could provide cleanliness.

Degree
@goin4destiny, You can't like a post until you yourself have 3 posts and 3 likes under your belt. Then the ability to give likes appears at the bottom of each post.

The wisdom of not having too many sub-categories like you've illustrated comes from the days of flat file websites where you actually had to have them in subfolders and generally built the sites that way too, which meant you were creating a lot of leaps for search engine crawlers to go through. They give up after a certain number of leaps from where they start crawling.

These days, the advice against going that deep would be that it creates an unsightly URL. It can help the user to have the nested categories in the URL to a certain point, but then it becomes overwhelming too. If the purpose is to help your user navigate, then you'll be better served to do that with Breadcrumbs.

I've created sites with no categories in the URL at all but plenty of categories for real, which get shown in the breadcrumbs. I've also created sites with categories in the URL down to 2 levels. At this point in time, it doesn't really matter as long as they're clean and not too long. There's no substantial SEO benefit to having them shorter or longer. But cleaner is part of a better user interface. Rather than thinking about length, I'd urge you to think about visual cleanliness. And I wouldn't think more than 2 levels deep could provide cleanliness.

That's an interesting way to look at it. Showing categories through breadcrumbs instead of the URL sounds like a cool idea, I would lose some SEO benefit by not optimizing the URL though?

Why not have my cake and eat it too? Use breadcrumbs as de facto navigation on my site yet have URLs that are up to three categories deep? That way, users can still find their way around the website and Google sees highly relevant categories displayed throughout the URL.

Degree
@goin4destiny Because in Google's eyes, having your cake and eating it too means getting all the benefits of a breadcrumb / virtual silo while still providing users a short, digestible URL that's easy to read and better for UX.

Getting a few extra keywords in the URL probably isn't going to make the difference compared to upping your content quality and relevance. I imagine Google's evolved far past using the URL as a major ranking factor. Down the line, an outdated SEO URL structure may even be used against you, ala the meta keywords tag, as a way to easily identify those darn rank-manipulatin' SEOs (speculation).

In short, put the extra energy into your content research and creation.

Degree
I've never had a Youtube channel, but I'm considering it.

Years ago I played keyboards and messed around with doing my own EDM/techno remixes. I see there are a lot of DJ's who put a lot of their remixes of popuar songs (sometimes mashups of several songs) on their Youtube channel. I'm vaguely thinking about something doing like this.

But what's the story with ad revenue? I searched on this and most websites tend to take a white-hat view that if the DJ obviously doesn't own a popular song, Google assigns the ad revenues to the owners of the song. But is that really what's happening, or are a lot of these remixes flying under the radar and making some ad revenue for the DJ making them and putting them on his own channel?

Jared

Breaking the Shackles of a Lifetime of Bummery
Degree
How accurate do you all think these "top pages" reports are? These broad pages that allegedly rank for hundreds of keywords and bring in hundreds-of-thousands of visitors. Has anyone had any success replicating that style of page?

EyesExist

Happy Beast
Degree
Are Patch articles with 1 link good for your site?

I see the site's got great ranking but wondering how a press release on it would actually fair.

EyesExist

Happy Beast
Degree
Yes. I thought most people knew about Patch. Sorry

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
But what's the story with ad revenue?
Yeah, the music industry is one of the most venemous and bot driven "claimers" on YouTube. They'll claim videos with titles that are the same as a song without even checking if the song is in the video. Song titles aren't even copyrightable. Google attempts to detect the usage too.

I suspect most of these channels are doing one of two things, much like you see all the bands and girls singing a million covers and then finally uploading some original material. One, they are piggy backing off of other popular stuff to get exposure to their original stuff, and then the DJ's will build up playlists and then take pay from marketing companies to include their artist's videos.

Are Patch articles with 1 link good for your site?
Yes, a backlink from a good site is good for your site.

Degree
Hey guys!

I would appreciate some input on 301 redirecting an expired domain.

I just bought an expired domain with a good link profile, unrelated to my niche. All the links are spread to inner pages that looks like this: domain.com/Article=212323-x-whatbro34XY

At first my plan was to do a simple 301 redirect, but then I started reading about it and people seem to be quite negative to 301 redirects now days.

What do you guys think? Would you have done a 301 direct or rather making it a PBN-site?

Both the domain and my money site are in a small European country that nobody cares about. :-)

Thanks!

Degree
Redirect the inner pages to new related inner pages.

If the links still have traffic, then you should focus on those, since they are more likely to rank.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
@Olov, the 301 redirecting is fine, but my only concern is that it's unrelated. You could be wasting your time with Google ignoring the links or devaluing them, or you could set yourself up for a possibly penalty in the future, because this is definitely coming down the Google pipeline sooner or later.

Degree
Hey everyone! I need to get back into these forums. Love seeing my old thread still running HOT! I am still a "newbie" I suppose, but not as woefully ignorant as I was when I first found you guys. The DIGITAL CRASH COURSE is STILL about the best thing to be found anywhere on "the net." I am somewhere along my journey where I still have questions, but they are much better questions. I might even be able to answer a few things here and there. HAPPY 2019

P.S. Pretty great to be back here and look around on the TWO-YEAR Anniversary of meeting you guys.

Jared

Breaking the Shackles of a Lifetime of Bummery
Degree
We all good with posting Amazon affiliate links directly to Facebook Groups?

Degree
I've never ran a forum before lol
To those who have: is starting a forum worthwhile in 2019?

I ran one with success a 2 decades ago and have been thinking of starting another lately. The niche is asking for it but I imaging the participation rate is still lower than a decade ago (before Facebook groups, Reddit, etc)

I see more and more "private communities" now that people pay to be a member of. I could see this could be an option for my niche.