Newbie Question(s) so dumb, you're afraid to even ask!

Hi, I have a question, for the life of me, I can't crack!
How does a Wordpress site display the IP of a visitor to them?

Any ideas?

Jared

Breaking the Shackles of a Lifetime of Bummery
I have a dropshipping site. This site has about 1,000 products on it.

If i do a site:domain.com search for this site, almost none of the product pages show up. Yet, if I search for any of the individual product pages, they show up in the search results.

Any idea what's up?

Thanks.

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
If i do a site:domain.com search for this site, almost none of the product pages show up. Yet, if I search for any of the individual product pages, they show up in the search results.
John Mueller just said in the past couple of weeks in a Google Webmaster Hangouts that site:domain.com isn't accurate, and I took it to mean it was WILDLY inaccurate, like you're mentioning. That was his vague and insufficient answer to someone who's example was very similar to yours. Seems they could be phasing that out. Your best bet to check is through Search Console, which will tell you exactly what is indexed or not in the Coverage Report.

How does a Wordpress site display the IP of a visitor to them?
It's done through PHP: https://www.php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.server.php

Basically:
PHP:
$ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
echo $ip;
That's going to get you the IP they're showing to the world, which could be a proxy or VPN, in which case that's their problem. There's several methods to try to get underneath the proxy but in the example that you're showing, there's no need to do that.

I have a service business and want to get my legal act together. I want to have a simple checkbox on my order form that covers my ass if the customer hates the service or claims that I've negatively impacted their business.

Using a free template seems to be a dumb way of going about this - should I pay a lawyer? I assume yes, who can handle this type of thing for a US LLC?

Now that Amazon has cut their commissions: Is it worth the effort to be monetizing a site via Amazon Affiliates?
Or should we monetize with other Affiliate Networks like everyone is saying? Even if the possibility that the conversion might t be lower. In my particular case, I was planning to start a site with only Amazon as the source of income, but right now I am kind of lost.
To the people that have one of these sites what's your plan?

Thanks a lot.

It's done through PHP: https://www.php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.server.php

Basically:
PHP:
$ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
echo $ip;
That's going to get you the IP they're showing to the world, which could be a proxy or VPN, in which case that's their problem. There's several methods to try to get underneath the proxy but in the example that you're showing, there's no need to do that.
Thanks @Ryuzaki - that's what I'm after, no need to get under a proxy just want to show their actual IP in shortcode box etc, cheers

Now that Amazon has cut their commissions: Is it worth the effort to be monetizing a site via Amazon Affiliates?
Or should we monetize with other Affiliate Networks like everyone is saying? Even if the possibility that the conversion might t be lower. In my particular case, I was planning to start a site with only Amazon as the source of income, but right now I am kind of lost.
To the people that have one of these sites what's your plan?

Thanks a lot.
I am going to continue monetizing with Amazon Affiliates. My sites are rather large so it's hard to find another affiliate program that has all (or nearly all) of the products I have reviewed. There are many individual affiliate programs that I could get into, but managing them all would be a huge pain in the ass. The pull-through generated from non-direct Amazon conversions is huge. I don't know of any other affiliate program that can come close to that. That helps close the % gap.

I am going to continue monetizing with Amazon Affiliates. My sites are rather large so it's hard to find another affiliate program that has all (or nearly all) of the products I have reviewed. There are many individual affiliate programs that I could get into, but managing them all would be a huge pain in the ass. The pull-through generated from non-direct Amazon conversions is huge. I don't know of any other affiliate program that can come close to that. That helps close the % gap.
Hi mate,
Thank you for your helpful comment. If you were to start a new site would you still go with Amazon or find other networks right of the bat? Or monetize them with Ads or even CPA?

It really depends in where you are, and the products you are trying to sell.

For example, in my country Amazon is big, but not the biggest. So I went to their competitor.
In some niches Amazon isn't the biggest, so maybe skip them.

But if Amazon is the biggest provider of the products you are trying to sell in your country, or you have a very wide catalog of products you are trying to shill for, I would guess it's more effective than going for something else.

If you have the option to skip them without hurting yourself, I would say 100% skip them. Their monopoly is turning into a problem, like google.
But at the end of the day, you need to do what is best for YOU.

Good luck.
EDIT: don't forget to TEST. You can try different approaches and different affiliate programs. You don't have to be doing only one.

It really depends in where you are, and the products you are trying to sell.

For example, in my country Amazon is big, but not the biggest. So I went to their competitor.
In some niches Amazon isn't the biggest, so maybe skip them.

But if Amazon is the biggest provider of the products you are trying to sell in your country, or you have a very wide catalog of products you are trying to shill for, I would guess it's more effective than going for something else.

If you have the option to skip them without hurting yourself, I would say 100% skip them. Their monopoly is turning into a problem, like google.
But at the end of the day, you need to do what is best for YOU.

Good luck.
EDIT: don't forget to TEST. You can try different approaches and different affiliate programs. You don't have to be doing only one.
Thanks for the advice mate! Me, personally, it won't hurt me since I in the planning phase. You are right that we need to search for other affiliate programs. I will use your advice in order to test and see what works best. Did you have any websites that were affected by the update? What's your plan now?

My plan didn't change, I just use the competitor. For UK and US, I found suppliers that are just as trustworthy (if not more so) than Amazon. I don't have a lot of traffic from there, so that wasn't a big priority. Currently waiting for their affiliate approval. But that's very niche dependent. I currently have no Amazon.
I might try some links to them in the future, but honestly, not very motivated for that atm.

I do have a question of my own:

I have a little bit of trouble understanding the Google Search Console data.
I imagine Average positions is all pages on this website? I would guess that's pretty good. (That means there are pages doing better, and some are quite recent)
CTR seems to be bad (I guess I should aim for about 10% at least?)
The 2 query's show, in my understanding, that's pretty decent? Only 10 impressions and 1 click sounds good to me.

I'm just wondering if I'm interpreting this right... And I know there is not a lot of data to go on, but that will improve :smile:

Website is 2 months old.

Last edited:

bernard

BuSo Pro
That data only makes sense for individual pages and queries. Generally, if you have a lot more impressions than clicks, then it means you could optimize some of your pages better for other keywords and most important, it could mean you are ranking for terms, you haven't yet optimized for and that's where the gold is.

This concerns an idea I have about building out a sales brand and online press releases.

As a contractor I sell a fairly big ticket item on behalf of a financial platform. The product is terrific and sales have even managed to hold up (though barely) through this financial wreckage of shutdown ... but a very real problem I have is with the platform's website and collateral sales material being outdated, cheesy, and even inaccurate in terms of what I sell. It didn't seem to matter much before the markets went to shit - but ever since, I've been getting feedback that prospective clients think we're 'scammy' based on what we're giving them for due diligence.

There's something my partner and I are free to do - which is create a selling brand to introduce ourselves (customer base being private equity firms, venture, and RIAs) and with us creating the sales info.

QUESTION: Say we did an online press release (and SEO ramifications not a consideration here) ... and it gets syndicated by, say, Bloomberg and CBS Business or the like - would (should?) we be able to create that section on the home page 'as seen on' or 'featured on' Bloomberg/CBS with watermarked logos?

Or is this actually too scammy in its own right?

I set up tag manager to track non-affiliate Etsy link clicks which fired as expected.

But, today I added the Awin script for conversions and enabled the convert-a-click in the Awin dashboard which seems to register the non-affiliate link plus the convert-a-click link in GA events (I get 2 events rather than 1) which messes the tracking, at my end at least.

I've never used Awin before so I'm not 100% sure on how it should be set up. Any pointers to sort this out would be awesome.

Facebook just released their shop feature. That means I can create a "storefront" on my Facebook page.

Do you guys think it's stupid / overkill to create a Shopify website so I can add the checkout URL for my products on Facebook and if it'll be easy to manage hundreds of products? I buy anywhere from single items / lots all the way to pallets.

The only other option they give me is to meet and do the transaction in person.

Last edited:
Dumb question #219

When looking for affiliate offers, how reputable is Clickbank really?

To me, most of the sales videos from a psychology perspective seem to be praying on weak people (which doesn't sit well with me) and telling half-truths e.g. "My WWI war veteran dad was lying in my arms, if only he'd taken time to have these 4 magic herbs".

It seems to be a goto for gurus to "prove their worth" in the internet marketing industry.

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Should I spend 2 months writing as much content as possible, then spend all my time promoting the content I've written afterwards, sprinkling in a new post every 2 weeks? Or, should I publish a post, spend a week promoting it, and repeat the process? Does this really matter? I just don't know if not publishing a new article for say, 2 months, because I'm spending all my time promoting content, would hurt my website or not.
It doesn't matter to Google. A regular publishing schedule can help with real people if you end up with fans that check in everyday or use your RSS feed.

QUESTION: Say we did an online press release (and SEO ramifications not a consideration here) ... and it gets syndicated by, say, Bloomberg and CBS Business or the like - would (should?) we be able to create that section on the home page 'as seen on' or 'featured on' Bloomberg/CBS with watermarked logos?
Typically that means they've done a story on you, not that an automated press release got syndicated or you bought a link from some contributor with 3 posts that are all noindex and nofollow. Will people actually bother to try to see if you were truly mentioned? Some will and word could spread that you're misrepresenting yourself. There's always a few psychos that will go the full distance to hurt someone else for no reason.

What does this mean for the future of SEO? Could this impact how SEO works ?

Justice Department, State Attorneys General Likely to Bring Antitrust Lawsuits Against Google
If anything it means they'll stop filling the SERPs up with 90% of their own websites and products. Everything is knowledge graph, Youtube, Images, shopping network, Adsense, etc. I doubt it would impact anything other than a forced de-cluttering of the SERPs.

Do you guys think it's stupid / overkill to create a Shopify website so I can add the checkout URL for my products on Facebook and if it'll be easy to manage hundreds of products?
For hundreds of products, it sounds like a nightmare unless they have a way for you to bulk upload from CSV or something. I've only seen Shopify from the consumer side, but it seems like it's built for a lesser number of products. At the same time, are you really going to be able to promote hundreds of products on Facebook one at a time? Are you sure they don't offer any other payment processors?

When looking for affiliate offers, how reputable is Clickbank really?
I think it's exactly as you described. It's reputable in the sense that it's been around forever and they pay out on time, transactions work, tracking works, etc. But they tend to have offers like you've mentioned, ones designed for the gullible. If that's your demographic you won't have a problem.

I'm starting on my own and doing some freelancing and looking into LLC's.

Is there any difference in an LLC and S-corp that would benefit someone freelancing with SEO? I heard there is no real tax advantage, but wondering what other SEO's typically pick in the USA for setups.

trying to add this code to my site child theme functions.php

Code:
// CURRENT YEAR SHORTCODE
function currentyear($atts = [], $content = null) {
// always return
return date("Y");
}
add_shortcode('currentyear', 'currentyear');
add_filter( 'single_post_title', 'my_shortcode_title' );
add_filter( 'the_title', 'my_shortcode_title' );
add_filter( 'wp_title', 'my_shortcode_title' );
function my_shortcode_title( $title ){
return do_shortcode( $title );
}
add_filter( 'pre_get_document_title', function( $title ){
// Make any changes here
return do_shortcode( $title );
}, 999, 1 );
But I keep getting the error

Code:
Your PHP code changes were rolled back due to an error on line 21 of file wp-content/themes/generatepress-child/functions.php. Please fix and try saving again.

syntax error, unexpected ';' (T_STRING), expecting ';'
Where line 21 is
Code:
return date("Y");
???

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
@FrankCertain, try deleting that ; and retyping it (especially if you pasted this code from somewhere else. Sometimes they get encoded weird. It might be unicode or whatever and look like an ; but actually be U+003B or &#59; or ; as examples.

I set up tag manager to track non-affiliate Etsy link clicks which fired as expected.

But, today I added the Awin script for conversions and enabled the convert-a-click in the Awin dashboard which seems to register the non-affiliate link plus the convert-a-click link in GA events (I get 2 events rather than 1) which messes the tracking, at my end at least.

I've never used Awin before so I'm not 100% sure on how it should be set up. Any pointers to sort this out would be awesome.
Bit confused by your question.
If it's the case that links you don't want to be affiliate links are becoming converted you can opt them out.
Ignore Links
If there are any links that you do not want to be converted into affiliate links by the Convert-a-Link plug-in, you can apply the data-awinignore attribute to them. See below for an example of how to apply this attribute:
<a href="https://www.test.com/tablet-accessories/ipad-sleeve-red/106.html" data-awinignore>iPad Sleeve - Red</a>

Last edited:
Bit confused by your question.
If it's the case that links you don't want to be affiliate links are becoming converted you can opt them out.
Yeah, I was probably just unclear. I just disabled the convert-a-click and build the affiliate links manually and it seems to all function properly

Hey,

I usually write content in clusters with heavy interlinking. How big would you suggest this cluster be? Or is it the case that you can internally link as many as you want if it's related?

The idea is basically building a silo of informational pages that are interlinked and exact match anchor link to a money page.

Currently I have a cluster of 5 pages. I started writing another cluster but one of those pages are related to the previous cluster but the others in the 2nd cluster aren't. In that case, would you suggest interlinking one page from this cluster to that cluster although it's technically part of another silo?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.

CCarter

King of America
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Digital Strategist
In that case, would you suggest interlinking one page from this cluster to that cluster although it's technically part of another silo?
Of course! If it helps the user gain better insight, understanding, or convert and stay on your site longer why would you NOT? Every now and then you need to step back and keep your user/customer/visitor in mind. Will this benefit them? If the answer is an "YES!" then do it.