Newbie Question(s) so dumb, you're afraid to even ask!

This seems silly to ask but does Google see a photo of a table as a photo or a table? Or both?

I’m wondering if a table created within a Wordpress post has equal or more strength than a photo of the same table.

If I want to insert a table, I normally create it in Wordpress and take a snippet of it and then upload that to the post. I was finding that tables I created directly in Wordpress (no photo) would cause the contents of the table to display improperly on mobile.

Hope all that makes sense.

This seems silly to ask but does Google see a photo of a table as a photo or a table? Or both?
Without a doubt, a photo is a photo. It is a file with no HTML markup. A table has (or is) HTML markup in a language that can be retrieved and understood and re-shown in featured snippets. An image is still just an image. I'd rather have it in table format, but I agree that <table>'s are hard to make responsive. You can set a min-width and cause a horizontal scroll bar to appear without having to get into the voodoo of responsive tables.

Jared

Breaking the Shackles of a Lifetime of Bummery
I have a site that's 100% information/entertainment , but many (probably most) of the articles have clear opportunities to link out to Amazon (a mention of a book, for example).

So, my questions is . . .

How often can an infotainment site link out to Amazon before it starts becoming a negative in the eyes of Google?

Am I overthinking this, or is this a real concern?

I have a site that's 100% information/entertainment , but many (probably most) of the articles have clear opportunities to link out to Amazon (a mention of a book, for example).

How often can an infotainment site link out to Amazon before it starts becoming a negative in the eyes of Google?

Definitely overthinking this. It's good practice to nofollow those Amazon affiliate links, but as far as Google penalizing you over this... not going to happen. That being said don't expect to make much in the form of Amazon Associate commissions as the buying intent on informational content is low.

bernard

BuSo Pro

Just label it as an Ad and remember the nofollow.

I mean, literally put in a box that says AD with large font.

Dailymail.co.uk does this thing with celebrities where they have a "Steal this look" box, where they find clothes that celebs are wearing on Amazon and the like. I couldn't find an example with a quick google though, but go take a look.

When should a link be “follow” and when should it be “no follow”? Assuming the link is on your website.

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
When should a link be “follow” and when should it be “no follow”? Assuming the link is on your website.

Follow​

A link should be follow if it is editorially chosen and endorsed by the author of the article.

Other scenarios outside of the article include all of your internal links on your header, footer, sidebar, etc. Sometimes these will be external links and can be follow.

Nofollow​

A link should be nofollow if you don't endorse it but it's being used to make a reader aware (like showing them a "bad" website and you don't want to give it credit).

They should also be nofollow if they're incentivized, meaning monetized links like affiliate links, display ads, and, sponsored links.

Guest post links are supposed to be nofollow too and can get you in trouble if you make it clear it's a guest post. So the obvious move is to not say it's a guest post. Sites do get outbound link penalties for this.

Other scenarios for nofollow include user-generated links like on forums and in blog comments and user profiles.

secretagentdad

American Dad is the best show of all time.
BuSo Pro
Why don't more people promote their own products with an affiliate link on amazon?
Is it allowed? Anyone talk about this somewhere I missed? Always kinda amazed we don't see much of it. I feel like I'm missing something.

Can someone explain to me these redirection backlinks? A whole bunch of them from different countries using google images, maps, cse, etc. I assume they are spammy because they are worthless, but I was just curious on how one goes about this?

Code:
images.google.co.uk/url?q="websitehere.com"
google.fr/url?sa=t&url="websitehere.com"

Someone I met the other day was talking about their website and they actually had a good idea. I gave them a few pointers on what they should improve on and I thought that was going to be that. They now want to pay me to help them out, didn't expect that.

I looked more into their backlinks and it looks like this guy is getting ripped off on whoever he is using. It kind of just opened my eyes. He's happy with a local keyword that gets 50 searches a month and he is position 22.

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
@ItsYoBuddy, They're used to fake DR scores on Ahrefs, along with subdomains on web 2.0's. Ahref's claimed they cleaned this up, but I'm still seeing the problem out there. It's a cheap Fiverr gig people use to scam newbie link buyers.

It's all automated. If you have the list of sites (and it goes beyond just Google) you can replace the domain (websitehere.com) with yours, and then trick Ahrefs into crawling the list by putting it on another page and getting it crawled. It's that simple. Tons of .gov and .edu sites have this setup too.

Why don't more people promote their own products with an affiliate link on amazon?
Is it allowed? Anyone talk about this somewhere I missed? Always kinda amazed we don't see much of it. I feel like I'm missing something.
Yeah, I don't think I've come across someone who has done it. That is, if it is allowed. I think part of it might be the hassle of focusing on selling them by affiliate links. It might just be a waste of time for people that need to do logistics, accounting, offline marketing, legal stuff, etc.

secretagentdad

American Dad is the best show of all time.
BuSo Pro
Yeah, I don't think I've come across someone who has done it. That is, if it is allowed. I think part of it might be the hassle of focusing on selling them by affiliate links. It might just be a waste of time for people that need to do logistics, accounting, offline marketing, legal stuff, etc.
Found out it’s against their rules.

I wonder why. Kinda lame to disincentivize vendors to promote a listing.

Boy

Reusable Block Buster
BuSo Pro
I had 6 (out of ~200) of my articles translated.

My question: is it imperative that I create either a subdomain or subfolder for the 6 articles?

Maybe I'm naive but nothing I'm reading says that something like that is required and is more for organizational benefits. Will it cause any issues on a technical side for https://website.com/english-article1 and https://website.com/french-article1 to be in the same sitemap or anything crazy like that? (EDIT-what a dumb question, lol. Creating a subfolder would put it on the same sitemap...)

I don't see myself translating the entire site or any other articles beyond those 6 (for this language). If I ever get to the point that I would/can do an entire site translation, I'm probably cashin' big enough checks that someone much smarter than me would be paid to clean up whatever micro mess this would cause.

@Philip J. Fry, I saw you answer a similar question recently, hopefully you don't mind helping me out.

I had 6 (out of ~200) of my articles translated.

My question: is it imperative that I create either a subdomain or subfolder for the 6 articles?

Maybe I'm naive but nothing I'm reading says that something like that is required and is more for organizational benefits. Will it cause any issues on a technical side for https://website.com/english-article1 and https://website.com/french-article1 to be in the same sitemap or anything crazy like that? (EDIT-what a dumb question, lol. Creating a subfolder would put it on the same sitemap...)

I don't see myself translating the entire site or any other articles beyond those 6 (for this language). If I ever get to the point that I would/can do an entire site translation, I'm probably cashin' big enough checks that someone much smarter than me would be paid to clean up whatever micro mess this would cause.

@Philip J. Fry, I saw you answer a similar question recently, hopefully you don't mind helping me out.

If you have 6 articles, it's OK. Make sure you set your language flags for the URL so that Google can understand that it's a different language than the rest of the site.

Reactions: Boy
Are google slow/do not index articles that are full of embedded gif from GIPHY? I've noticed a pattern in my articles where all my articles that have embed gifs are not being indexed.

@ItsYoBuddy, They're used to fake DR scores on Ahrefs, along with subdomains on web 2.0's. Ahref's claimed they cleaned this up, but I'm still seeing the problem out there. It's a cheap Fiverr gig people use to scam newbie link buyers.

It's all automated. If you have the list of sites (and it goes beyond just Google) you can replace the domain (websitehere.com) with yours, and then trick Ahrefs into crawling the list by putting it on another page and getting it crawled. It's that simple. Tons of .gov and .edu sites have this setup too.

I'm seeing it on semrush too. I keep trying to explain to the guy why this is a problem but it's hard to explain to an older person. He just emailed me this morning that his SEO guy showed him the Moz stats and that his domain authority is now at 50. All the top linking domains are maps.google, google from different countries, and even some .gov like you mentioned. I don't want this guys money but I'm just trying to warn him not to get scammed.

Do you think that Google is only considering backlinks that are showing up in GSC?

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
Do you think that Google is only considering backlinks that are showing up in GSC?
No. They've said themselves that they do not list every single backlink there, and they aren't the only ones they take into account in the algorithm.

No. Furthermore, GSC only shows up to 1000 referring domains. Authority sites have 10s of thousands of RDs that don't show up in GSC but obviously provide link juice.

Currently using Ahref's site audit and it says I have 85 pages with missing meta descriptions. These all happen to be category pages, my about page, etc. Should these all be set to no-index, to begin with?

Also, with the site audit, is it worth fixing warnings (the yellow symbols), or does only fixing the errors move the needle?

Currently using Ahref's site audit and it says I have 85 pages with missing meta descriptions. These all happen to be category pages, my about page, etc. Should these all be set to no-index, to begin with?

Also, with the site audit, is it worth fixing warnings (the yellow symbols), or does only fixing the errors move the needle?
Why would you noindex your About page? The others, that's your choice. Google's John Mueller says it's fine to leave them indexed. If you do noindex them you should keep page 1 of the paginated series indexed and only noindex page 2 and beyond.

I wouldn't assume yellow symbol errors don't move the needle. I haven't run an Ahrefs audit, but they're showing it to you and it's not green. They're probably easy to fix and easy advantages to have over competitors even if they're tiny needle moves.

Why would you noindex your About page? The others, that's your choice. Google's John Mueller says it's fine to leave them indexed. If you do noindex them you should keep page 1 of the paginated series indexed and only noindex page 2 and beyond.

I wouldn't assume yellow symbol errors don't move the needle. I haven't run an Ahrefs audit, but they're showing it to you and it's not green. They're probably easy to fix and easy advantages to have over competitors even if they're tiny needle moves.
Misspoke about the about page - not going to no-index it. And it sounds like I might as well leave them as they are then.

I made a number of changes to my site yesterday but they're not reflected in today's audit. Hopefully, the changes show up in ahrefs in audits in the coming days. If they don't, I assume I did something wrong. Now I just need to figure out how to fix "Open Graph URL not matching canonical" and "Open Graph tags incomplete".

@Titan243, If you open your site in the site audit you can also hit the "new crawl" button if you don't want to wait a week for the next crawl.

Now I just need to figure out how to fix "Open Graph URL not matching canonical"
I wouldn't worry about it but probably either of these urls is relative and the other is not. Their crawler isn't smart enough to see those as identical. Unless you're linking to a completetly different page you're probably fine.

"Open Graph tags incomplete".
It depends on what information is missing. You can check with Facebooks official debugger (you need a FB account): https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/

Now that my content engine is more or less in place, I'd like to transition to interactive tools (calculators, quizzes, etc.)

But before I decide on a specific path, I want to make sure that:
- It can be executed quickly (I'd like to have at least 5 tools up & running by end of next week)
- Scale with traffic (1000's of daily uses and tens/hundreds of concurrent users)
- Works with WordPress

Has anyone gone down this path before? What do you recommend?

Thanks!

bernard

BuSo Pro
Now that my content engine is more or less in place, I'd like to transition to interactive tools (calculators, quizzes, etc.)

But before I decide on a specific path, I want to make sure that:
- It can be executed quickly (I'd like to have at least 5 tools up & running by end of next week)
- Scale with traffic (1000's of daily uses and tens/hundreds of concurrent users)
- Works with WordPress

Has anyone gone down this path before? What do you recommend?

Thanks!

I bought Formiddable Forms, which I think does most of this, but I haven't gotten around to using it yet.

I did a page of specific fitness calculators with the free plugin Calculated Fields Form. It was not a user friendly experience, which is why I bought Formiddable Forms.

If you want to use it specifically as a lead magnet, then there are a bunch of plugin aimed at surveys and "personality type" quizzes, Riddle being one of them.

On the positive side, it seems to work and my page ranks well now. I would probably buy Formiddable Forms from the outset though.