Newbie Question(s) so dumb, you're afraid to even ask!

Degree
Use a crawler like Screaming Frog, Xenu Link Sleuth, Integrity (Mac), Ahrefs, etc. Most of those have a free version that will get you the info you need and spit out a spreadsheet, which you can add to manually from there. There's even ways to map out your internal linking in a graph:

That's cool to see how you're flowing your Page Rank but nobody is adding in external links yet to influence that flow. Ahrefs has the data, I wish they'd cook that up.
That's amazing man! I downloaded link-assistant. I had been looking for that software for a few days, I never remembered the name. Then I recognized in your screenshot.

This was very helpful to me! Thanks a lot for your help!

What tool is that?
It's link-assistant.com software. More precisly it's the "website auditor" of their software. A very helpful tool. It shows me every internal anchor text.

@Olov does screamfrog do this?
Not from what I could find. A few days ago I was searching for that function for an hour with no success. With Link-assistant I found it after a minute.

Degree
Nowhere near as good as text links and image links in your posts. It'll probably shake out about the same as Adsense would depending on where you place them, except you won't get paid on the click. You're far better off doing pre-sale work and sending the user to specific products than just shooting them to Amazon for a general category and hoping for the best.
Ah, I see, I was worried that would be the case. I'll try it anyway because I can put the banner in a prominent place above the fold, while my product links are less visible. So I'm hoping the increased visibility will outweigh the reduced conversion rate. I actually got two sales since adding the banner yesterday, but that's random luck lol.

Degree
I have 2 email lists:

2000 people who opted in after changing GDPR settings. They are now subscribed to a newsletter.
11000 people who opted in before GDPR, which was also mixed with the 2000 GDPR approved users.

Does anyone know of a simple (Google Sheets?) way to "subtract" the 2000 GDPR approved users from the 11000 person list?

I want to email the 9000 remaining people saying "if you want to opt back in, do x y and z", but don't want to fk up and confuse my 2000 good subscribers.

Degree
It's link-assistant.com software. More precisly it's the "website auditor" of their software. A very helpful tool. It shows me every internal anchor text.
Thanks!

They stole that idea from https://sitebulb.com/
Looks like it, I thought it was sitebulb for a moment. I had a trial of it a while ago when comparing it to Xenu/Gephi internal link maps.

One thing I still haven't been able to do is create one of these maps while excluding menu navigation. Might revisit node labels in gephi, not sure how to approach it though.

Sites with mega navs end up looking like this:

[moderator note: please embed images instead of linking to them]

Degree
I have 2 email lists:

2000 people who opted in after changing GDPR settings. They are now subscribed to a newsletter.
11000 people who opted in before GDPR, which was also mixed with the 2000 GDPR approved users.

Does anyone know of a simple (Google Sheets?) way to "subtract" the 2000 GDPR approved users from the 11000 person list?

I want to email the 9000 remaining people saying "if you want to opt back in, do x y and z", but don't want to fk up and confuse my 2000 good subscribers.
You can do a vlookup formula on the table of 11k emails to check if they are in the table of 2k emails

Degree
Sendy gurus: do you have a go-to newsletter template generator?

I'm on the fence between very basic text based newsletter and image heavy HTML newsletter. Whatever I go with needs to be quick/easy to produce. Ideally it will be semi-automated from my latest Wordpress content (multiple CPTs).

_

Answering my own question for others who might need a similar solution: I used BEE. It doesn't seem perfect but allowed me to create a new newsletter template and get it sent in about 2 hours. A good first step at least.

Degree
I'm trying to find a PBN guide here on the forum, but can't find any. Is there one that I've missed? I can imagine that some guys on the forum have some great experience and knowledge on PBNs.

I'm going to create my first PBN, it will be around 4-6 sites in total.

As I will snapback these domains, they will all end up at the same registrar. I will host all the sites under different IP adresses, but what are your thoughts about them all having the same nameserver? Is it a big risk or am I overthinking this?

__

I would assume that it's relative. If I have 40 links pointing to my site and 4-5 of those are my PBN. Then I wouldn't think it matters if they all have the same nameserver, as long as they have different IP.

If my link profile contains of 10 links and 5 of those are from my PBN with the same nameserver, or if I had 20 PBN links from the same nameserver - then I'd think it's a big footprint.

I could be wrong about this, so if anyone has some input that would be appreciated.

Have a nice Friday all!

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
@Olov, the risk surrounding PBN's is entirely around the footprints you leave that make it possible to map out the fact that it's a PBN. Whether you get to that point or not depends on what kind of stuff you do on-page in terms of linking patterns.

The thing to realize too is that all PBNs come crashing down, no exceptions, and sometimes they take your money site with them.

You need the PBNs to share common link targets beyond just your own site and that does not include link sales or multiples of your own sites. Think about it in terms of "sites 1-3 link to X, sites 2-4 link to Y, sites 3-5 link to Z, sites 4-6 link to A" and all kinds of rotations. The game isn't always to not have a footprint, because you will have some. The game is to blur the footprints and dilute them enough that they don't know who's to blame for the PBN. Is it created to support your site or the 20 other sites that all get linked across all the properties. Of course you mix in lots of single random targets.

But in terms of hosting there's a lot of footprints out there that people doom themselves with because they don't know about them. Do you know what a Start of Authority Record is and how it's generated and how to read them? 99% of PBN builders have no clue about that and are doomed when they start.

Yes, I would have them on separate IPs. No, I would not have them on the same nameservers. It's very unlikely that that batch of sites would all have the same nameservers and all link to your site. Do you know how to set up custom A Records and custom nameservers?

There's a LOT to doing this properly to the point where it's not really that time effective or cost effective. There's a lot of overhead to keeping a good PBN live. If you're doing it right, you don't even have a PBN. You have a collection of 4-6 more money sites that just so happen to link to your other money site once or twice.

There's a reason almost all PBNs result in being used for link sales. Recouping the investment becomes important and it becomes obvious that the quickest way to do it while maintaining a similar but higher risk is to sell links. That shortens the lifetime but at least you break even and likely make some money.

My recommendation is to NOT build a PBN. It's not worth the time or money, and it's not worth getting on Google's bad side.

What I recommend is thinking of the internet as your PBN. You want sites on different IP's with different owners and different nameservers and different out-bound link profiles? The internet can be your PBN and you don't even have to pay for nice domains, hosting, or content. You just have to do some clever marketing and outreach.

Degree
@Olov, the risk surrounding PBN's is entirely around the footprints you leave that make it possible to map out the fact that it's a PBN. Whether you get to that point or not depends on what kind of stuff you do on-page in terms of linking patterns.

The thing to realize too is that all PBNs come crashing down, no exceptions, and sometimes they take your money site with them.

You need the PBNs to share common link targets beyond just your own site and that does not include link sales or multiples of your own sites. Think about it in terms of "sites 1-3 link to X, sites 2-4 link to Y, sites 3-5 link to Z, sites 4-6 link to A" and all kinds of rotations. The game isn't always to not have a footprint, because you will have some. The game is to blur the footprints and dilute them enough that they don't know who's to blame for the PBN. Is it created to support your site or the 20 other sites that all get linked across all the properties. Of course you mix in lots of single random targets.

But in terms of hosting there's a lot of footprints out there that people doom themselves with because they don't know about them. Do you know what a Start of Authority Record is and how it's generated and how to read them? 99% of PBN builders have no clue about that and are doomed when they start.

Yes, I would have them on separate IPs. No, I would not have them on the same nameservers. It's very unlikely that that batch of sites would all have the same nameservers and all link to your site. Do you know how to set up custom A Records and custom nameservers?

There's a LOT to doing this properly to the point where it's not really that time effective or cost effective. There's a lot of overhead to keeping a good PBN live. If you're doing it right, you don't even have a PBN. You have a collection of 4-6 more money sites that just so happen to link to your other money site once or twice.

There's a reason almost all PBNs result in being used for link sales. Recouping the investment becomes important and it becomes obvious that the quickest way to do it while maintaining a similar but higher risk is to sell links. That shortens the lifetime but at least you break even and likely make some money.

My recommendation is to NOT build a PBN. It's not worth the time or money, and it's not worth getting on Google's bad side.

What I recommend is thinking of the internet as your PBN. You want sites on different IP's with different owners and different nameservers and different out-bound link profiles? The internet can be your PBN and you don't even have to pay for nice domains, hosting, or content. You just have to do some clever marketing and outreach.
Thank you for an excellent post. Exactly what I was looking for! It sure did make me question if I should really build a PBN or not.

The thing is that I operate in a small country, where most of the competition are small and big companies. They have manpower, money and networks to push me down the hill. Don't get me wrong, I know the importance of keywords and competition analysis. I just decided to go against the fairly big/medium guys on a new project.

At this point I have done SEO for 2-3 years or something like that. I have several websites and my income is, at the moment, matching my 9-5 salary. So I am trying to evolve my SEO work by introducing a PBN.

I recognize that in my small country you don't get natural backlinks, just the odd blog link here and there, if you're lucky. And the big guys have several websites interlinked and they have networks between each other to keep competition out. The norm for one link (from normal websites/bloggers) with ok metrics is between 100-900 euros in my country, so its costly to do out reach. I thought a small PBN would be more cost effective, plus I get more control over the links. Although, I recognize that there is a big risk and a huge time investment - especially since I write the content myself.

You have some very strong points that makes me reconsider doing this. Perhaps its better to keep on buying expensive links on websites I don't have to invest any time in.

Much appreciated @Ryuzaki!

Degree
Real noob stuff: I want to get into rank and rent in a big way - mainly because I have a good process for creating and ranking microsites. I think it's a good fit with my personality... however I don't know about the best way to sell/"rent" them.

I want to avoid having 100 sites all bringing in $250 a month as that means a lot of people to keep happy and more sites to maintain. But surely there's also a happy medium for making an easy sale (massive value, low "rent") vs squeezing every last cent out of it.

If anyone is doing well with this model, how are you pricing it? Are you doing email sales, cold calls, something else?

Degree
Thank you for an excellent post. Exactly what I was looking for! It sure did make me question if I should really build a PBN or not.

The thing is that I operate in a small country, where most of the competition are small and big companies. They have manpower, money and networks to push me down the hill. Don't get me wrong, I know the importance of keywords and competition analysis. I just decided to go against the fairly big/medium guys on a new project.
Olov, I think people don't quite know small markets like your swedish market. Google doesn't have the same reach, interest or ability to monitor PBNs there. Charles Floate said this in the most recent Authority Hacker podcast specifically about Scandinavia. I know that it's the defacto linkbuilding method in Sweden and similar, but I still agree with Ryu, that it's a bad idea.

It simply consumes so much time, that could be better spent on your own site(s). I think, long term, it's a real shame to spend so much time on a time limited asset. I am not against using PBNs somewhere like Sweden, but I would only do it to go after highly luctrative niches like loands, internet providers and similar and only if I had an aged domain and only if I knew I could do it.

Instead, I suggest you use your expired domains to make various smaller money making sites. You can then link from those to your main sites. I think @Ryuzaki is against this as well, but I think for our smaller markets, we have to do some different stuff cause it's much more difficult to get organic links here.

Degree
You can then link from those to your main sites. I think @Ryuzaki is against this as well, but I think for our smaller markets, we have to do some different stuff cause it's much more difficult to get organic links here.
Unless you're doing local business sites, could you use multi-language as a way to rank them?

For instance, build it in Swedish, then translate the whole thing to English and run the site in both languages. Do some local swaps and building for the Swedish pages and then use the English pages to use the more traditional strategies?

Degree
Unless you're doing local business sites, could you use multi-language as a way to rank them?

For instance, build it in Swedish, then translate the whole thing to English and run the site in both languages. Do some local swaps and building for the Swedish pages and then use the English pages to use the more traditional strategies?
I do this.

I create a piece in English, for example: "Top 10 insider spots to play frisbee in Stockholm" and then I do outreach to English language sites, typically expat magazines and the like.

I'll also do outreach using the foreignness as an asset "Why the Lithuanians are so much slimmer than Americans" and then I'll link my site or, better, to an english language article on my own site.

It's not ideal, I prefer local links for local sites, but quite simply it can be very difficult to get links in smaller markets, cause everyone is sort of competition.

Degree
Olov, I think people don't quite know small markets like your swedish market. Google doesn't have the same reach, interest or ability to monitor PBNs there. Charles Floate said this in the most recent Authority Hacker podcast specifically about Scandinavia. I know that it's the defacto linkbuilding method in Sweden and similar, but I still agree with Ryu, that it's a bad idea.

It simply consumes so much time, that could be better spent on your own site(s). I think, long term, it's a real shame to spend so much time on a time limited asset. I am not against using PBNs somewhere like Sweden, but I would only do it to go after highly luctrative niches like loands, internet providers and similar and only if I had an aged domain and only if I knew I could do it.

Instead, I suggest you use your expired domains to make various smaller money making sites. You can then link from those to your main sites. I think @Ryuzaki is against this as well, but I think for our smaller markets, we have to do some different stuff cause it's much more difficult to get organic links here.
I appreciate your input, Bernard. Very informative!

To get some context: I have a couple of niche sites. One of them being in a very lucrative space. So I know what it takes to climb to the top there. The benefit of having such a small market is that it's easier to learn and understand what's what and who's who.

Now I have created a broad site, a magazine type. So I will be involved in the most lucrative niches in the Scandinavian market. My small niche sites gave me knowledge, experience and understanding on how things work, so I am now trying to create something big. Not saying that I am an expert or anything, just that I am ready to up my level a little bit.

Regarding the smaller money sites, it is tempting. Because I have a couple of sites that could give my new project boost in rankings. But I don't want to link my money sites together. As that would risk my passive income, I rather risk time and money spent on a PBN... I think.

Just like you say the time consumption is of big importance. Every article written on a PBN could have been an article/money maker on my real sites. But in exchange for authority and general rankings, maybe it's worth it.

Something that stuck with me from @Ryuzaki post was that every PBN gets caught sooner or later. Are you of the same opinion? At least in Sweden I've seen a couple of (very) obvious PBNs that keeps giving juice year after year. I also hear people sometimes mention that they've had PBNs for many years without any problems.

Again - thanks for your feedback. Very valuable, especially since you've got experience in the neighberhood :-)

Degree
I used to have PBN's and got burned by Penguin and various other things.

I think the thing is that Scandinavia does not have any manual action happen often. Very rarely will some manual action get taken and only if some SEO with links to Google points it out. Eventually they will get them, yes, I agree. You won't discover it though. Maybe they just stop working. I see that with the competition I am outranking. They have tons of PBN links but they can't pass much value anymore.

I just don't want to do it. I ended up HATING working last time, because I had to install another wordpress installation, write another trash article, buy another cheap hosting provider. Is this what I dreamt of? To be a glorified tech support guy?

I realize much of this can be outsourced. If you can do it, and get the domains at a good price, then go for it. I conclude that I am comparatively MUCH better at writing and researching than being an admin. I think introspection is in order. Are you the kind of person who can really create and maintain processes? Are you very organized? If so, maybe PBNs could be a good idea.

It's a personal choice for me, because I am not convinced that PBNs would be the only thing taking my sites down. I also don't buy advertorials even if this is extremely common as well. I just look at my competition and see how much money they are spending every month on linkbuilding and I don't like it.

On the other hand, I am convinced I could probably have been at 6K USD a month and not 3K USD a month, had I just replicated the links my competiton has. However, I don't want to risk all that good content I've written.

Will it prove I am more safe against Google? I don't know, I hope so. I think overall, I also have a better resale value, so that's factoring in it as well.

If you're up for it, go ahead. For me, to conclude, I don't see myself being able to compete with other domain buyers without investing a lot of time and money into it, and I would rather invest in my sites. I'm also 100% convinced that you can get results in Scandinavia this way, but personally, I think buying links from real sites and newspapers and the like would be more efficient. Get advertorials on those mainstream sites, which are frequently almost orphan pages, then give them a round of PBNs. I think that would be VERY effective in Sweden. Mix it up with some real links from abroad, see my post above.

Last edited:
Degree
Im not sure where to post this but need your honest opinion and I will summarize that for your really quick.

- On March 13 my website got a hit but - Majority of PBN links which point only to homepage get deindexed.

- The most important post which is linked from homepage get slowly decrease in rankings:

(moderator note: don't link to images, embed them)

-- if you see on MARCH 13 it slowly get to page 2 but can anyone explain me what is happening in APRIL? Right now is main keyword on PAGE 10 as you see on graph, is this still a google dance? Other keywords for this post are still in a bottom of PAGE 1 or top of PAGE 2 which is acceptable, only the main keyword is problem.

I didnt updated the post, no backlinks are deindexed or anything else, everything is fine.
I would be really happy if main keyword can get back to PAGE 2, this is frustrating. How long it could take? I said to myself that I would wait till end of the May and hopefully it will get back.

What I did?
- On From April 2 To April 12, create new quality links to homepage, even better than the previous one with same anchors brand, generic, naked urls - that the only thing which I did.

Can anyone give me some advice? Basically nothing changed, new posts are indexed withing day or two without help, no message in webmaster tools...

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
@micho24, it's hard to say much, even with the level of detail you provided. You'd think it's because the homepage lost the PBN links and therefore is flowing less page rank to the post (since it's linked from the homepage).

The weird part is that it's only affecting the main keyword and not the others as much. Does the link from the homepage pointing to this post use the main keyword as the anchor text for the link? It could be possible that after Google took down those PBNs that it decided it no longer trusts your homepage and the links directly on it (as opposed to your navigation links, etc.).

Another thing is that the main keyword could be far more competitive than the secondary keywords, which could explain why the secondary ones are hanging on better.

And finally, it's possible that the March 13th problem & the April 2nd problem are coincidental but not connected. Google may have reclassified the intent of that main keyword and decided your post no longer matches the correct intent. Have you checked to see if your same competitors are still there? If not, then see if there's a new style of post and a new intent that is now ranking versus what you and your competitors did in the past.

Degree
Thank you very much for answer.

Does the link from the homepage pointing to this post use the main keyword as the anchor text for the link? -yes

The TOP 10 is totally the same as before, no change. Im aware of the competition of the keyword and all other variants, the variants are basically: something main keyword, or something main keyword something...

As I said Im totally fine that the main keyword drop a few spots at the March 13 when PBNs gets deindexed, but I already replaced them on April 2, and after they got indexed these things start happening - big drops.

How long would you wait if you were in my situation? I honestly dont want panicking and delete backlinks or disavowing them but dont know how long to wait.
If the main keyword would still ranking Page 2 I would not even post here but these big drops scares me a lot. Is this look to you like a Google dance? or do you have something else in your mind? I would be happy to hear more.

Degree
I'm reaching out for you guys again.

Do you have any recommendations for a "latest post" plugin? Right now I am using Recent Posts Widget With Thumbnails, but it's not exactly what I need.

I am working on a very broad site. When people are in the tech-section of the site, I want the "latest posts" are only in that category. When the visitor is in the health-section of the site, I want the "latest posts" to only show from that section.

Any ideas of a plugin that can do the above?

Thanks!

CCarter

If they cease to believe in u, do u even exist?
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Digital Strategist
Degree
How long would you wait if you were in my situation?
I would wait the 60-90 days - leaning towards the full 90 days before doing anything else. This is Google testing whether you are doing SEO or something, if you disavow or change something further, you'll get dropped from the top 100.

CCarter

If they cease to believe in u, do u even exist?
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Digital Strategist
Degree
Question - Why do SEOs need "Indexer Tools"? Software that indexes pages their pages in Google (example - GSA link indexer, Speed Links, Backlink Indexer, etc)