Newbie Question(s) so dumb, you're afraid to even ask!

@abbykmorley, A similar question was recently asked here by @DanielS, you can follow that link and read the next few responses to see some thoughts on this topic from @Ryuzaki and myself.

Generally speaking, there's no reason to hold back. If the content is ready to go, post it. You're better off having it live instead of trying to build up a big backlog to launch with a ton of posts all at once (assuming you've already got a plan, a domain, a website setup, etc.)

The sooner the articles get posted, the sooner they'll get indexed, the sooner they'll get some age behind them, the sooner other sites will be able to link to them, the sooner you can start sending visitors to them, etc.

I can't think of an advantage to holding back and waiting until you have a bunch of posts and posting them all at once, if the alternative was having some of them posted sooner - but maybe somebody can offer a counter-point.
I agree with the posting part, having worked on many sites and doing both big push and gradual, I haven’t seen any big difference

JasonSc

BuSo Pro
Has anyone went down the ADA/WCAG compliance rabbit hole? Some how, I detoured down this road.

There is a bunch of noise about people suing web masters for not meeting ADA compliance. It almost sounds as bad as patent trolls.

There are some plugins and scripts (USERWay.org) you can add to your site which is suppose to "help" your site to be compliant, but then there are counter articles saying these plugins/scripts are an open invitation for ligation.

Typically I'm not a doomsday person, but this has me doing a lot of research.

Has anyone done a deep dive into this subject matter? Is this more for e-com sites or fortune 500 companies and should I be concerned?

Sutra

On the edge of the sand
BuSo Pro
Struggling with the following ...

How do I research and validate a niche for a new site that I want to monetize with display ads by acquiring organic traffic? I'm not talking about click-bait list type sites that rely on social traffic.

I already have an amazon affiliate site, so well versed on buying intent, but for some reason I'm struggling with getting my head around finding and validating a niche for an informational based site that has the scope for traffic needed for display ads.
Are there sites in this niche already monetizing with display ads? Yes? Good. No? Bad. Check their traffic. Any of those sites getting enough traffic to make monetizing with display ads worth it? Yes? Good. No? Bad. Do some keyword research. Enough keywords to write about in this niche to make display ads worthwhile? Yes? Good. No? Bad.

Struggling with the following ...

How do I research and validate a niche for a new site that I want to monetize with display ads by acquiring organic traffic? I'm not talking about click-bait list type sites that rely on social traffic.

I already have an amazon affiliate site, so well versed on buying intent, but for some reason I'm struggling with getting my head around finding and validating a niche for an informational based site that has the scope for traffic needed for display ads.
1. Are there enough topics to cover? You'd want to create as much content as possible to generate more traffic. If there's nothing to write about, then there are no articles = no traffic = no $$$.
2. Follow the money. If there are many competing brands in the niche, it's a good niche. If there are many competing websites in the SERPs for head keywords, that's a good niche. If the CPC for head keywords is high, it's a good niche.

You can monetize ANY traffic with display ads. The secret is to get as much traffic as possible as cheap as possible. So you'd want to target low competition keywords. And most of the time those are informational rather than commercial (i.e. with buyer intent). If you have ahrefs, click here and add your niche keywords into the "include" section.

Also, check the actual SERPs and try not to target keywords where there are youtube videos in top 10.

Just don't limit yourself with an EMD domain and any niche would do. If you put enough effort into the site, you'll outgrow your expectations fast.

When buying a domain, is it worth the trouble to buy other top-level domains? I.e. .com, online, xyz, yada, yada.

From an marketing perspective; is it okay/smart/worth-the-trouble to, lets say, use .com as the website that only elaborates on the service aspect and actually offer the service?

The .online version will be used for general thoughts and ramblings, affiliate links and so on.

The other top-levels will either be routed to .online or .com.

Any input is appreciated in advance.

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
@DanSkippy,

I only see two scenarios where it's worth doing this (though I'm sure I'm missing many others):
  • You want to protect your brand
  • You have uses for the other domains
I don't do this for every project I build, but when I do I tend to only pick up the .com, .org, and .net. Anything else isn't as tasty to goobers out there trying to play games. Maybe the .co or .io depending on the niche, too.

But realistically, if you have your trademark registered, you can simply deal with it later once you discover someone messing around. The registrar will likely yank the domain and give it to you (for registration) without much friction, because they know the result. They cough it up now or they do it after it becomes a legal matter that possibly costs them more money.

Has anyone went down the ADA/WCAG compliance rabbit hole? Some how, I detoured down this road.

There is a bunch of noise about people suing web masters for not meeting ADA compliance. It almost sounds as bad as patent trolls.

There are some plugins and scripts (USERWay.org) you can add to your site which is suppose to "help" your site to be compliant, but then there are counter articles saying these plugins/scripts are an open invitation for ligation.

Typically I'm not a doomsday person, but this has me doing a lot of research.

Has anyone done a deep dive into this subject matter? Is this more for e-com sites or fortune 500 companies and should I be concerned?
I've used Accessibe before. You can inject their code using GTM, or their own plugin. Within supposedly within 48 hours, their AI algorithm will figure out everything on your site and allow it all to be changed to be AA - AAA level compliance. The best part is that the algorithm will run every 24 hours and detect any changes and re-adjust AA-AAA compliance. The only two things it doesn't do is video subtitling and doc/pdf accessibility. Hope this helps.