Newbie Question(s) so dumb, you're afraid to even ask!

Degree
What is the minimum number of posts I could launch an Amazon affiliate site with? Should I wait until I have 20 posts? 50?

How many words is the bare minimum for a post to be successful these days? Is a post of 1000 words with an introduction and comparisons (pro's and con's) going to succeed?

Degree
What is the minimum number of posts I could launch an Amazon affiliate site with? Should I wait until I have 20 posts? 50?
I don't know that there's a specific number, but I've read people suggesting to flesh out the site fairly well, like at least 25 posts. That probably does play into the acceptance or rejection, but the problem I see people uncover more than anything is a lack of adding any value.

Dummies get rejected then share their URL and it's always the same story. They're listing Amazon items and not adding any value at all. They're trying to make another shopping portal or they're just rewriting the item descriptions.

I would also make sure that the site isn't 25 posts of reviews. You need to add value in other ways too, like having information and educational content surrounding the products. I don't think this is a must, but I'd do it anyways so I'm not some bottom-of-the-funnel affiliate that Google ends up penalizing.

How many words is the bare minimum for a post to be successful these days? Is a post of 1000 words with an introduction and comparisons (pro's and con's) going to succeed?
Word count isn't a major determining factor in whether or not a post will rank. I'm not even sure it's a minor one any more.

You're not asking the right questions. The questions should be:
  • What keyword am I going after?
  • What posts are Google ranking in the top 10 and what are their word counts?
  • What is the intent of the keyword and how does the top 10 deal with that intent?
If a search query is "euphemism definition" do you think you need 1000 words? 50 words is probably enough and the top 10 probably are in that range.

I just realized this isn't a separate independent question and is related to the Amazon discussion. My bad. Same answer though. Look at the top 10 of a query and see what they're getting away with. Yes, 1000 words can do it, with an intro and product reviews only. That's as dead on target as it gets for that intent, really.

Google has to show its cards. It has to show you what ranks and doesn't. You just have to search the query and look at the results.

Degree
Assuming this is a brand new site, just publish as you complete your posts. Plan to go back and edit them later to improve them as you get more comfortable writing about the niche. There's no reason to wait to publish your posts. No one is going to read them for a few months or more unless you're promoting them on social or paying for traffic. You might as well start that clock now as opposed to after you have 20 posts written.

Apply for Amazon Associates approval from the start. If you don't get 3 sales in 180 days, you just reapply. Eventually, your site should start attracting viewers and getting sales.

Of course, you'll want to keep adding posts until you've blanketed the niche. By then, you may have stumbled upon a whole bunch of shoulder ideas you will be able to explore.

You'll need to look at the competition and how they're ranking. If you're going for a keyword that is low value and the competition is ranking with 500 words, you may be able to rank for that keyword with less than 1,000 words in your text, assuming it's high quality.

Realistically though, in 2019, if you're going to be doing any decent quality product reviews or information on a topic, you should be able to coherently write 1,000 words of helpful content on the topic. You may need to touch on some ancillary points or related questions to achieve that word count, but I have almost 0 blog posts that are under 1,000 words on my sites. Many go up in the 4,000-7,000 word range for long, in-depth topics.

Sutra

Breathe the body deep
BuSo Pro
Degree
I feel like a dork for asking this, haha.

I deleted 10 Categories in Wordpress and expected they would create 404 errors, thus I would need to create 301's to redirect them. However, before creating the 301's, I ran Screaming Frog on my site (use the paid version so not running into any url limits) and none of the deleted categories showed up as a 404. In fact, the deleted category urls don't show up at all (I did a search within Screaming Frog to verify).

I don't have the Wordpress option set to have categories in urls. My urls look like: cars.com/how-to-choose-a-new-car/

But of course categories have their own slug so if the category is "New Cars" the category url looks like cars.com/new-cars/

And if you have nested categories, such as New Cars > Hondas then the category url will look like cars.com/new-cars/hondas

So two questions:
  1. If you delete a Category in Wordpress, does it create a 404 error?
  2. After you delete a Category, do you need to redirect (301) the Category url?

Last edited:
Degree
@Sutra, visit them manually and see what you get. You deleted the categories, which means your posts aren't in those categories, which means there's no links to those categories. So something like Screaming Frog, which crawls and only see's pages with links to them, wouldn't see these pages.

They should be 404 though. If you visit the old URL, it should toss up a 404 error and 404 page.

Sutra

Breathe the body deep
BuSo Pro
Degree
@Future State Thank you. Have a followup question about redirects. Couple years ago I used pagination. Eventually stopped and made everything 1 page. So I entered redirects for the paginated pages, i.e. cars.com/buy-new-car/2, cars.com/buy-new-car/3, cars.com/buy-new-car/4 were all 301'd to cars.com/buy-new-car/

Going through everything I just noticed that I have redirects entered for urls like: cars.com/buy-new-car/1/
However, after removing the redirect, if I enter cars.com/buy-new-car/1/ into the browser and go, it automatically goes to cars.com/buy-new-car/ (which is the correct page).

Does that mean that the url cars.com/buy-new-car/1/ is essentially the same as cars.com/buy-new-car/ ? Thus, I can remove those type of redirects? I have something like 100 of those redirects, hah.

Degree
I've got (very much a beginner) question about hosting. I'm just starting out with my new website, and I was wondering how hard it is to transfer to different hosting? I've heard good things about for example WPengine, but since I don't know yet how well my website will do, I don't really want to spend that money yet. I'd prefer to start somewhere cheap (thinking of AWS Lightsail WP instance) and transfer if my site gets traction.

Degree
I've got (very much a beginner) question about hosting. I'm just starting out with my new website, and I was wondering how hard it is to transfer to different hosting? I've heard good things about for example WPengine, but since I don't know yet how well my website will do, I don't really want to spend that money yet. I'd prefer to start somewhere cheap (thinking of AWS Lightsail WP instance) and transfer if my site gets traction.
Depending on the tools available at the various hosts, it’s pretty easy to switch hosts without too much difficulty.

If you are starting out and have no WordPress knowledge, it may be easier to use a shared host that has cPanel as their interface. Bluehost is a common one, Siteground, Hostgator, etc. You can find hosting at various places for less than $10/mo.

Start with cheap shared hosting, and as you grow and earn some revenue, switch to VPS hosting that’s more focused on speed. I think I pay about $20/mo for Cloudways/Digital Ocean, and it works very well. Migration was easy, and their support is great.

Im not really familiar with WPEngine, but if their lowest-priced plan is $35/mo, I would stay away. It looks like they include the Genesis framework and themes. That’s cool, but if you like Genesis (I use it) just purchase it and your theme separately.

Go with shared hosting and put that savings into content. Once you’re far enough in that you feel you need to focus on speed and bandwidth, find a VPS provider that has good migration tools. As I mentioned, Cloudways is one.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Does that mean that the url cars.com/buy-new-car/1/ is essentially the same as cars.com/buy-new-car/ ? Thus, I can remove those type of redirects? I have something like 100 of those redirects, hah.
It sounds like you still have a plugin or something in your .htaccess that is causing the redirects. That's not native Wordpress functionality. Your cars.com/buy-new-car/page/2/ should return a 404 error if it doesn't exist. It shouldn't redirect to cars.com/buy-new-car/ without your intervention.

Degree
I suggest using smaller or shared hosting like siteground or bluehost or namecheap easywp at first.
I've you'd like to move hosting, most hosting provider provide migration service as well.

Degree

I highly recommend using Cloudways as Noisegen mentioned as well. If you've got a PHP based site, it's a pretty great wrapper for cloud providers that can make your life very easy.

Automatically setting up staging sites, lets encrypt, server settings at your fingertips if you're not very server savvy, backups, super simple migration plugin, varnish cache does a good job for saving resources as well.

The only thing you need to keep an eye out for is a third party SMTP server as most of these cloud instances don't have that out of the box.

As someone who's worked at dev agencies for years, this has been one of the more solid hosting providers that haven't completely shit the bed.

Degree
Where should a complete newbie start when creating a sales funnel? I read the Ahrefs guide and have played with Hubspot before, but I still don't know where to begin.

I want to create a funnel that disqualifies bad leads and qualifies great leads and to do this using as much automation as possible. These leads could come via email, form, or phone.

I think I need some sort of CRM for lead tracking/scoring, but something that also tracks where they are in the funnel. I can also see this as something that can get out of control really fast - I want to keep it simple while I understand the process.

If anyone has a good guide or loves a particular tool I'm excited to check it out.

Degree
Is there any way to boost SERP rankings without contextual links?

I am really scared to buy HQ backlinks...

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
@Rrocks:
  1. Get those links through marketing instead of buying.
  2. Improve your on-page optimization.
  3. Publish content related to the page you want to increase and interlink to it with the right anchor text.
  4. Improve your site's page speed loading times.
  5. Improve your existing interlinking patterns to flow page rank where you want it to go.
  6. Improve your CTR in the SERPs by improving your title tag and meta description.
I'm sure there's more but I'm still drinking my first coffee. All of those except #1 are fairly simple things to do. #1 is simple too but takes more time.

Degree
Anyone have tips on partnering up with a salesperson for commission based deals?

We can agree on a % but, these are deals that will happen on the phone after multiple calls/emails. I can track the first call, but after that will lose visibility.

Is it simply a matter of trust? That is, I test working with someone for 3 months, see if they make sales and report them back to me? If it doesn't work out, test with someone else?

Degree
I've found a domain that has been used for government purposes (very legit). Wayback Machine last indexed it in 2014, so it's been dead for a long while. It has around 20 quality referring domains.

Can I buy this and redirect it to my site that is on a similar topic. Will it make any difference? Is there a risk in doing so?

Degree
We can agree on a % but, these are deals that will happen on the phone after multiple calls/emails. I can track the first call, but after that will lose visibility.
I'm not an expert on this but I'd suspect you should be able to tag a number as "yours" and have your pal attach email addresses to it too and any additional phone numbers. Then on the conversion, you could then check all that to see if you played a role. It boils down to trusting him to do that, and if he does it zero times over the course of time, he's not playing fair.

Otherwise, that's typically how it goes for lead gen and affiliate sales. You get scraped and shaved and cheated. A old story told since man still walked on four feet.

Can I buy this and redirect it to my site that is on a similar topic. Will it make any difference? Is there a risk in doing so?
5 years of not being in the index runs a big risk of those links being worthless. What you can do is buy it and put something up on it and see if you can get it to rank for a term that has a little competition. Rebuilding exactly what was there may bring the trust back to it too, letting it sit in that state for 3-6 months. I wouldn't immediately redirect it. There is probably some amount of risk if it's not seen as a real acquisition and just an SEO move.

Degree
I've found a domain that has been used for government purposes (very legit). Wayback Machine last indexed it in 2014, so it's been dead for a long while. It has around 20 quality referring domains.

Not sure how much value it would pass on as it has been dead for so long. Also how relevant is it would you say to the topic of your site?

The thing about expired domains as well is that the value of the links pointing to it tend to decrease over time. Each year X number of links will drop off/be lost and the value of your investment shrink.

A year or so ago I picked up an expired domain that had been part of a marketing campaign by a telephone provider here in Scandinavia. It had some nice media links and even links still coming in from the telecom company. However in the year we've held it a number of those links have vanished so we just ended up not continuing with it. However for a short to mid-term tactic, it might be OK as long as you don't overdo it.

Degree
Is there any way to boost SERP rankings without contextual links?

I am really scared to buy HQ backlinks...
You could try safe ones such as profile links

Not sure how much value it would pass on as it has been dead for so long. Also how relevant is it would you say to the topic of your site?

The thing about expired domains as well is that the value of the links pointing to it tend to decrease over time. Each year X number of links will drop off/be lost and the value of your investment shrink.

A year or so ago I picked up an expired domain that had been part of a marketing campaign by a telephone provider here in Scandinavia. It had some nice media links and even links still coming in from the telecom company. However in the year we've held it a number of those links have vanished so we just ended up not continuing with it. However for a short to mid-term tactic, it might be OK as long as you don't overdo it.
I did that one time years ago, and I recall receiving a notice to release the domain...take care :cool:

Anyone remember the good old times when Google had that "keyword wheel" in the bottom of serps? You could basically see exactly how Google grouped keywords. Of course, this was before AI and content grouping. What would be the current equivalent?
I would assume "Related Keywords" through the chrome plugin keywords everywhre.

Degree
I just realized that one of my old sites have a lot of Google adsense ads in the articles.

The problem is that I can't find them in the back-end.

I checked my Google adsense account and the source of my page, and it seems as if the ads are from my publisher account.

I am using Newspaper theme and I can't find the adsense code under "ads". Neither have I any ads plugin, however, I've had it in the past. So I re-installed to check if maybe something stuck, but it didn't.

I have checked through the code in the theme editor - but no success. The ads appear sometimes 4-5 times in the article, and one ad is always below the menu and above the article title.

This is confusing me a lot. Any suggestion on how I can locate these ads and delete them?

Cheers!

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
This is confusing me a lot. Any suggestion on how I can locate these ads and delete them?
Some ideas:
  • You might have Adsense Auto-Ads installed, which is just a script in the header (I think) or footer.
  • The ads might be placed within the PHP templates themselves in the theme files.
  • You may have used an old "Ad Inserter" style of plugin that left data in the database when uninstalled, but this isn't likely. It'd need the other files to successfully place the ads.
  • You've been hacked and there's some kind of javascript file being loaded and adding the advertisements on your behalf (but you said they're from your account)>
It's probably Auto-Ads, that's the only thing that makes full sense to me. Check for header code or footer code either in a theme options panel that lets you insert it, in the PHP theme templates themselves, or in some plugin you're using for that purpose.

Degree
Hi everyone my first post here.

I learnt SEO in 2012 (mostly reading on blogs and warriorforum) and then stopped doing internet marketing.

I want to restart learning SEO again for my new side project. I plan to have the site with passive adsense and amazon affiliate/ebooks.

One of my friend recommended buildersociety.

Do you guys recommend any blog or video course (free/paid) which will be helpful for learning SEO?

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask the question.

Cheers
SeoNewbie

CCarter

If they cease to believe in u, do u even exist?
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Digital Strategist
Degree
Do you guys recommend any blog or video course (free/paid) which will be helpful for learning SEO?
Don’t waste your money on “paid” course for SEO, SEO is extremely easy, there is no magic. You were recommended BuSo cause of this: Digital Strategy Crash Course

Start there and it will open your eyes on what is possible.

Degree
Does Medium allow affiliate links or redirects? I want to test a viral technique in a niche, that I don't have or want a site in.

Degree
Since we obviously have some pretty good coders/programmers in here...

I can create my own static sites pretty well with html/css and bodging around with js and php when/if I need to. And the last couple of sites, I've stuck my toe into WP waters, just to see what all the cms fuss was about.

As a small-scale independent publisher, would it be worth my time and energy to learn the latest js thoroughly and any other supplementary stuff (for example, something like React/Redux)? Or is that better left to others that you can hire in on an as-needed basis (or fiddle about with yourself if you need a specific feature for a site)?

And, if the answer is yes, what would you recommend? (The questions here were sparked by reading the Gutenberg thread and then realising I had no idea what some of this 'creating custom blocks' was about.)