Newbie Question(s) so dumb, you're afraid to even ask!

I just checked my Google Ads account which told me I had made $20.000 this year in profit for a 3x ROI.

Certainly made me think.

Set and forget isn't only SEO.
Congrats!

Sorry for off-topic. Are you running Google Ads on affiliate offers, or do you have your own products? I was wondering if it's something worth looking into or, while doing SEO and other marketing tactics. I always hear that it's difficult to run ROI positive Google Ad campaigns on affiliate offers.

As a total beginner, if I have $100 to spare, where should I spend it on? I'm doing my own writing currently. Should I buy a link for that money?

As a total beginner, if I have $100 to spare, where should I spend it on? I'm doing my own writing currently. Should I buy a link for that money?

Buy a nice Wordpress theme and a nice logo.

Congrats!

Sorry for off-topic. Are you running Google Ads on affiliate offers, or do you have your own products? I was wondering if it's something worth looking into or, while doing SEO and other marketing tactics. I always hear that it's difficult to run ROI positive Google Ad campaigns on affiliate offers.

Yes, affiliate offers.

It's definitely not easy to get it working or if you get it working, what is your return going to be?

Is it worth it for a 15% ROI on a small search volume?

For others, it is definitely worth it, usually high ticket commission items.

The others, you know it should be possible, but you have to pay for data, like figuring out that people buy this particular thing on weekends after 6pm and not on phones and such.

So yeah, you need to be very comfortable with Google Analytics.

Hi there!

Let's imagine that you have a site named adventuretravels(dot)com. You want to do affiliate of different kinds of vehicles. Before jumping into affiliate, your first goal is to create authority in that topic. Before that, you will try to earn a decent amount from display ads.

Now there are three categories in your website.
  1. Mountain
  2. Desert
  3. Forest
In these 3 categories, you will give 300 articles about only bikes. All will be info articles and related to adventure.

Now how will you choose the keywords? And how long and detailed the articles should be?

Can I over optimize an article with alt tags? Let's say I write an article "Nike Shoe Review" and I have 15 pictures in the article. I describe the pictures with alt tags:
  • Nike shoe front
  • Nike shoe rear
  • Nike shoe top
  • Nike shoe button
  • Nike shoe sole
  • etc.
Should I do it differently?

I scanned through the eternal grind case study.

I was wondering how are the keywords chosen.

Are they KGR keywords.

thanks.
I seek out keywords where I know my domain is powerful enough (link-wise) to rank if I get most everything else right, plus a link to the page maybe, hopefully not needed. What's the fast way to do this? Find competitor sites who are weaker than me and dig through their keywords where they rank highly.

Of course it's a whole different story if you don't have much of a backlink profile. My suggestion then is to go for the lowest competition keywords with acceptable volume. Most of these will be between 100-300 in search volume. I don't go lower than that. I also recommend that you spend time acquiring links at this stage too so you aren't stuck in this fashion for too long.

Buy a nice Wordpress theme and a nice logo.

Yes, affiliate offers.

It's definitely not easy to get it working or if you get it working, what is your return going to be?

Is it worth it for a 15% ROI on a small search volume?

For others, it is definitely worth it, usually high ticket commission items.

The others, you know it should be possible, but you have to pay for data, like figuring out that people buy this particular thing on weekends after 6pm and not on phones and such.

So yeah, you need to be very comfortable with Google Analytics.

I got way into being a data nerd in 2011 and it did not work out well for me. My thinking was with the right targeting I can make anything work.

Now my focus is on the creative, making boring creatives work with data is limited and small in scale. Coming up with new angles/creatives to promote something has been key for me to get bigger volume.

I got way into being a data nerd in 2011 and it did not work out well for me. My thinking was with the right targeting I can make anything work.

Now my focus is on the creative, making boring creatives work with data is limited and small in scale. Coming up with new angles/creatives to promote something has been key for me to get bigger volume.

Yes, I agree, I do mostly text ads though, but the same applies and also the landing page.

Can I over optimize an article with alt tags? Let's say I write an article "Nike Shoe Review" and I have 15 pictures in the article. I describe the pictures with alt tags:
  • Nike shoe front
  • Nike shoe rear
  • Nike shoe top
  • Nike shoe button
  • Nike shoe sole
  • etc.
Don’t over think it. You are doing it correctly!

I implemented google tag manager and "scroll depth" and the bounce rate and time on page have changed dramatically. Now I'm wondering if I've set it up correctly and if there are other tags or google analytics/tag manager "best practices" that I should be employing.

In general, scroll depth shouldn't affect bounce rate at all. But it depends on how you want it. It's possible to implement it either way.

You can think that if a user has scrolled, he has interacted with the page, even if he had left afterward. This way - yes - most of the visitors will scroll at least a little bit, GTM will record interactions, and your bounce rate will decrease.

However, not only this skews the concept of bounce rate to large extent, but there's also a problem with big screens. For example, desktop screens will show a quarter or more of the page, so even if your visitors bounce, they’ll be counted as an interacting visit (e.g. pageview).

How to implement it properly? When you configure your tag in Google Tag Manager, upon
“non-interaction hit” select "True". This way scrolling will not affect bounce rate. You have probably left it to undefined or "False". Again, this is possible, it all depends on your measurement plan.

So I completely removed a money 3 word long tail I was targeting historically as part of a redesign and promptly shot to number 1 with in 12 hours of updating the site.

Does this mean I had some kinda soft penalty flag or I was over optimized or something in a really basic way?

• Nike shoe front
  • Nike shoe rear
  • Nike shoe top
  • Nike shoe button
  • Nike shoe sole
  • etc.
It sounds just like it should be. The alt tags should be relevant to the picture, so a picture of the Nike shoe's front should definitely have alt text including "Nike shoe front..". You could just try to explain it in a bit more detailed matter (just don't overdo it).

Further, you could use the exact model in the alt tag. Eg: "Nike React Infinity Run 2 Men's Road Running Shoes".

Is it possible to outrank all the junky but high DR articles on page one?

Let's say Forbes and entrepeneur have articles on page one that are kinda crappy and I make much better content. Can I outrank those losers?

You have to give it some time, like 48 hours to a week, to 3 weeks. It might just... drop.

What you can be seeing a Google's CTR test:

A little bit more about it: Google Testing With CTR - SERPWoo

Hey, I have a question on other posts you made that I saw, you talk about how it's dumb to just rely on Google which I agree but, isn't it smart to focus on 1 traffic source rather than spreading yourself thin?

Also, should one focus on just creating more content that ranks on Google or get traffic from other things like social media and stuff? On one hand, there have been people who had seven figure exits from just creating content mainly But, then you talked about someone who got like 100,000 traffic per day (I don't know if it was SEO OR not).

Also, you mentioned that nothing is really long term. So, should you focus on businesses that are short term and make less money or should one focus on something long term and build something up?

isn't it smart to focus on 1 traffic source rather than spreading yourself thin?
Have you tried other sources? Like really put in time and effort to do so? Not just read a blog post or video, but actually dug in the trenches of what's going on?

Also, you mentioned that nothing is really long term.

The Earth will get sucked into the sun in 3 billion years, so yes, nothing last forever. I focus on businesses that will be around 5-7 years from now.

then you talked about someone who got like 100,000 traffic per day

That was @built, he has a journal here where he studied and attempted traffic leaking for 6 months until he eventually mastered it and was able to generate 100,000 visitors in single days with his skill. But again he spent 6 months in the trenches of that, working 7 days a week, including nights.

There are 16 year old kids making $10,000 a month off online using social to generate $250 leads for businesses, really comprehend that.

Your questions all come from fear, which has lead you down "paralysis by over analysis", which with enough time turns into procrastination.

You don't need to know all the answers. Just fucking do it. When I started my SAAS I didn't know the first thing about running one, I just did it and stumbled my way through it. You learn by doing, not by reading.

In what realm does someone learn to play sports from a book? You learn by doing. You make mistakes and correct them and move on.

It's like going on a road trip. You can print out a map and just go and if there are road blocks you go around them, if there is traffic jams you figure it out, as long as you know the end destination and keep going. But in your scenario you are thinking, what if my car breaks down? What if I get a flat tire? What if the one highway is blocked? Dude you just have to make a decision and pull the trigger, and keep pulling the trigger over and over. That it, that's ALL of life!

We don't tell the kids there is a secret sauce. We don't tell them there is a shortcut. When you tell the average kid, that has never sold anything, you are only 2000 cold calls away from being a multi-millionaire, they say "oh... well I guess I don't want to do it that bad." OR "Do I have to work on the weekends?"

Have you tried other sources? Like really put in time and effort to do so? Not just read a blog post or video, but actually dug in the trenches of what's going on?

The Earth will get sucked into the sun in 3 billion years, so yes, nothing last forever. I focus on businesses that will be around 5-7 years from now.

That was @built, he has a journal here where he studied and attempted traffic leaking for 6 months until he eventually mastered it and was able to generate 100,000 visitors in single days with his skill. But again he spent 6 months in the trenches of that, working 7 days a week, including nights.

There are 16 year old kids making $10,000 a month off online using social to generate $250 leads for businesses, really comprehend that.

Your questions all come from fear, which has lead you down "paralysis by over analysis", which with enough time turns into procrastination.

You don't need to know all the answers. Just fucking do it. When I started my SAAS I didn't know the first thing about running one, I just did it and stumbled my way through it. You learn by doing, not by reading.

In what realm does someone learn to play sports from a book? You learn by doing. You make mistakes and correct them and move on.

It's like going on a road trip. You can print out a map and just go and if there are road blocks you go around them, if there is traffic jams you figure it out, as long as you know the end destination and keep going. But in your scenario you are thinking, what if my car breaks down? What if I get a flat tire? What if the one highway is blocked? Dude you just have to make a decision and pull the trigger, and keep pulling the trigger over and over. That it, that's ALL of life!

We don't tell the kids there is a secret sauce. We don't tell them there is a shortcut. When you tell the average kid, that has never sold anything, you are only 2000 cold calls away from being a multi-millionaire, they say "oh... well I guess I don't want to do it that bad." OR "Do I have to work on the weekends?"

In the SEO avalanche technique, you showed like using Twitter right after publishing an article. And I am gonna assume other networks as well. So basically let's say I have done nothing social on one site. Do I tweet about every article on my site all at once or what? Or am I screwed and have to only do them every time I publish an article? I optimized my old content and added images to them. But I am just wondering how I should promote on social media. Like all at once put up Pinterest pins to my articles, FB page post articles, Twitter?? Or what?

But I am just wondering how I should promote on social media. Like all at once put up Pinterest pins to my articles, FB page post articles, Twitter?? Or what?

Dropping a link to your SEO content is NOT engaging on social. It's not participating within social. It's just spam. That's not social. And that is definitely NOT what I mean when I say engage on social.

Really think about it - you want someone that's browsing Twitter to stop and read your bland SEO-ed content? A piece that has zero likes, retweets, and zero engagement from the account? You're just spamming.

Here are 2 thread you should look over to understand: The Social Media Beast

And Day 10 - Social Supremacy

--

Social is not hard. The problem is you SEOs just want to "phone it in", basically automate your SEO content into tailwindapp or whatever and set it and forget it, cause in reality you don't believe in social. But FashionNova believed in social and became a $100 million valued company off of just Instagram. How? Cause they were actually using the platform to engage with users, similar to how I am interacting with YOU on BuSo.

Imagine if I came here dropped a link to my latest blogpost and went on my way once a day, without any other interaction? I'd be a spammer. So what's the different on what you guys are trying to do with social media versus what I just described?

If you think you can "phone it in", for social or really ANY marketing campaign then you are going to fail.

With Paid (PPC and Social ADs) advertisers login daily and hourly to monitor their campaigns, you can't "phone it in". Just like you can't "phone it in" with Google and keyword research, you have to be on-top of PageSpeed optimization now, your competitors, your rankings, keyword research, security, and creating content that users want to engage with and more importantly share with their own followers/users/audience members.

Now if you don't think it's worth your time engaging with your potential audience, you probably have a project that's boring to you and you are just again "phoning it in" to make money, you are going to have an uphill battle if you have no enthusiasm to talk to your audience.

That's what social allows, you can directly communicate with Coca-Cola, Wendys, The President of the United States, celebrities, and other people you would normally not have access to. On-top you can communicate and understand your audience's needs and desires and create products/services - AKA a business around their needs/desires and generate serious revenue. But you can't do any of this if you don't really care about the end user. And if you don't care about the end user, the content you create will be bland and not engaging for your SEO content.

Just look at this post, does it appear that I care enough to help you understand social? And then the question comes to WHY am I doing this? In reality you can down the road be a customer for SERPWoo or potentially buy another service of mine. Or maybe you pass me down to someone that might need help with one of the solutions I provide.

This is why social is critical, you are "amongst" your audience instead of just spamming like they are just a number.

Dropping a link to your SEO content is NOT engaging on social. It's not participating within social. It's just spam. That's not social. And that is definitely NOT what I mean when I say engage on social.

Really think about it - you want someone that's browsing Twitter to stop and read your bland SEO-ed content? A piece that has zero likes, retweets, and zero engagement from the account? You're just spamming.

Here are 2 thread you should look over to understand: The Social Media Beast

And Day 10 - Social Supremacy

--

Social is not hard. The problem is you SEOs just want to "phone it in", basically automate your SEO content into tailwindapp or whatever and set it and forget it, cause in reality you don't believe in social. But FashionNova believed in social and became a $100 million valued company off of just Instagram. How? Cause they were actually using the platform to engage with users, similar to how I am interacting with YOU on BuSo.

Imagine if I came here dropped a link to my latest blogpost and went on my way once a day, without any other interaction? I'd be a spammer. So what's the different on what you guys are trying to do with social media versus what I just described?

If you think you can "phone it in", for social or really ANY marketing campaign then you are going to fail.

With Paid (PPC and Social ADs) advertisers login daily and hourly to monitor their campaigns, you can't "phone it in". Just like you can't "phone it in" with Google and keyword research, you have to be on-top of PageSpeed optimization now, your competitors, your rankings, keyword research, security, and creating content that users want to engage with and more importantly share with their own followers/users/audience members.

Now if you don't think it's worth your time engaging with your potential audience, you probably have a project that's boring to you and you are just again "phoning it in" to make money, you are going to have an uphill battle if you have no enthusiasm to talk to your audience.

That's what social allows, you can directly communicate with Coca-Cola, Wendys, The President of the United States, celebrities, and other people you would normally not have access to. On-top you can communicate and understand your audience's needs and desires and create products/services - AKA a business around their needs/desires and generate serious revenue. But you can't do any of this if you don't really care about the end user. And if you don't care about the end user, the content you create will be bland and not engaging for your SEO content.

Just look at this post, does it appear that I care enough to help you understand social? And then the question comes to WHY am I doing this? In reality you can down the road be a customer for SERPWoo or potentially buy another service of mine. Or maybe you pass me down to someone that might need help with one of the solutions I provide.

This is why social is critical, you are "amongst" your audience instead of just spamming like they are just a number.
I am more likely to buy from that company if it's yours you are right. I noticed many of your articles on here, you seem to put in a lot of time and effort. But, do you make more money this way than say if you were to bulk push like 1000 pieces of content or just spend money on paid ads? (Assuming that SERPWOO is your saas.)

Also, you are right I don't care about the end-user and likely don't want to engage but, I feel this matters on what your doing and stuff. I mean it's some shitty niche site which I want to make like 5-10k from then move on to things I actually care about.

If you want to go big and stuff, you most likely aren't gonna do "niche sites". You would create a SAAS. something which is a high barrier of entry something that can scale big but takes way longer and more effort.

But, Idk if it was your post or someone else, where they mentioned when your back is against the wall or you have no other options you perform the best. I think you perform the best when you are no longer operating in survival mode and are content. That's when you are way more creative and are willing to bend/sacrifice way more.

I would like to do a quality saas but, I feel that to do that I'd need to get out of the "survival mode" thinking, you need some amount of money coming in. So, you don't go for small goals and stuff and are willing to sacrifice big time to get big things.

Also, you are right I don't care about the end-user and likely don't want to engage but, I feel this matters on what your doing and stuff. I mean it's some shitty niche site which I want to make like 5-10k from then move on to things I actually care about.

You're never going to be able to convey the right message to your audience since you are just "phoning it in".

If you don't care than that will come through in the effort you put in.

You'll be looking for shortcuts forever.

Life is fair, you get out of it what you put in. Low effort = low results.

Which WordPress plugins (free or paid) do you use for exit-intent popups on your sites?

Hi, I am a newcomer here, just curious to know if any one got some websites for German and French market for link building purpose. Would be thankful if anyone share their experience in these marekets.

Which WordPress plugins (free or paid) do you use for exit-intent popups on your sites?
For email opt-ins?

_______

What would someone need to do if their website got the white screen of death after adding a Wordpress plugin? Upload the backed up version of their website to their CPanel or? I'm tired of feeling like I'm about to launch a nuke and start WW3 whenever I add a new plugin to my website.

What would someone need to do if their website got the white screen of death after adding a Wordpress plugin? Upload the backed up version of their website to their CPanel or? I'm tired of feeling like I'm about to launch a nuke and start WW3 whenever I add a new plugin to my website.
If the plugin doesn't add tables to the database or anything, you could just go into the file manager and delete the plugin from /wp-content/plugins/ or whatever the location is. Just delete the folder. Even if it does interact with the database, most plugins don't clean that stuff up when you delete them, so you can probably still just delete the plugin folder.

If that doesn't work and you can restore a previous version, that's probably easier than tracking down the problem. Especially if you're getting the white screen on the user-facing side and not just the backend.

Back