Newbie Question(s) so dumb, you're afraid to even ask!

Degree
My guess is that the term 'drill machine' for a normal drill is typical for Indian English, and not as common in US/UK English. (Native speakers, please correct me if I'm wrong)
Depends what you are talking about: hand drill, pneumatic drill, power drill, cordless drill, etc. etc.

If I saw 'drill machine' (as a native UK English speaker) I would expect an industrial-style drill for use in a factory setting.

Degree
Depends what you are talking about: hand drill, pneumatic drill, power drill, cordless drill, etc. etc.

If I saw 'drill machine' (as a native UK English speaker) I would expect an industrial-style drill for use in a factory setting.
Ah, yes, that is what I would have guessed. The search results are about simple hand-held power drills.

Degree
My guess is that the term 'drill machine' for a normal drill is typical for Indian English, and not as common in US/UK English. (Native speakers, please correct me if I'm wrong)
Haha yeah, I figured that out a few seconds after my post. Tried to delete it, with that reason, but apparently admin didn't agree to that. :-)

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Haha yeah, I figured that out a few seconds after my post. Tried to delete it, with that reason, but apparently admin didn't agree to that. :-)
I undeleted it because you started a conversation that several people had replied to but hadn't quoted you, so the context wasn't obvious for other readers. It doesn't make sense to ask a question, get answers, and then delete the question.

Degree
I undeleted it because you started a conversation that several people had replied to but hadn't quoted you, so the context wasn't obvious for other readers. It doesn't make sense to ask a question, get answers, and then delete the question.
I understand. There were no replies when I requested it to be deleted, though. Otherweise I wouldn't have tried deleting it.

Degree
Do some of you have income earning sites that are not ".com"?
like uk, in, eu, au, cn?
Is there anything outside .com?

Cash Builder

BuSo Pro
Degree
like uk, in, eu, au, cn?
I have a .co.uk site that is doing well in the UK serps, just earned £1k in July. If you check serps for specific countries you will see lots of examples of non .com sites ranking well.

Degree
like uk, in, eu, au, cn?
Well, yes, outside the USA, there are plenty of successful 'country' domains - probably best if you have the country focus (and native language, if necessary).

I would say from general observation that .eu is building up slowly as an alternative to .com within Europe. And, of course, plenty of software and app brands going the old British Indian Ocean Territory (.io) or .to (Tonga) route.

To a certain extent, there is a window of opportunity for something non .com where the owners of a valuable .com are domain investors who are unwilling and/or unable to develop it. One of the domains I'm currently developing is in this situation so we will see how that theory works...

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
@Erayz, Here's a list of generic top level domains, in addition to the actual top level domains. Stuff like .com, .net, .org, .edu, .gov, .mil, and .int are your normal TLDs.

But there are ccTLD's (country code top level domains) that are so commonly used for other purposes that Google now treats them as global unless you specifically choose to target a locale in Search Console.

Some of the ones you've probably seen are .co, .fm, .io, .me, and .tv. There's more at that link above.

I've successfully ranked .info and .me and made plenty of money doing it. I don't have experience with others because I always try to get the .com and then go to .org otherwise.

Degree
@Erayz I do, I earn my income from affiliate networks in my country (Scandinavia). It's viable, but a bit different to .com. It's much harder to get backlinks, but the competition is much, much easier to beat. I am ranking for the same keywords as Thewirecutter, businessinsider and all of those guys do at .com, but in my country.

However, it also means that the volume is much lower - and we don't have Amazon either. So not all of my visitors are keen on buying from the shops that offer me affiliate. The writers in my country are also very over-priced, so I have to write most of my articles myself.

How do you guys track clicks on your website?

I've never done this, but want to start split testing. I want to see which buttons and links are being clicked on on my website. I found geni.us, is that the best option or is there a free alternative somewhere?

Degree
How do you guys track clicks on your website?
I use Google Analytics to track custom events.

For example in my lead gen sites you'll see clicks tracked by:
  • Event Category: Company Name (Acme Industries)
  • Event Action: The type of contact made (Email, Call, Website, etc)
  • Event Label: The actual URL (tel:+1-602-902-0411)
For my affiliate I do this:
  • Event Category: Outbound Click
  • Event Action: Click
  • Event Label: The actual URL
Then once you are collecting this date you can create custom goals. So in the second scenario you might want to create a goal that tracks any event with the Event Label .*(amzn|amazon).(com|to).*

If you get clever about this, you can also work out your historical value of a click and add that as the Goal Value.

Degree
Some of you may have seen that I have bought a better branded domain for my niche site.

Current domain: niche-site.com
New domain: nichesite.com

My concern was that if I grow this brand massively (away from just affiliate offers), people would be typing nichesite.com and wouldn't find my site. Or a competitor would snipe my business.

This website is a year or so old, has a DR of less than 10. The new domain has no links pointing to it, no manual actions. It's getting a nice amount of traffic and making me north of $1k per month.

Should I migrate the site to the new domain and suck up the short term loss in traffic (and hope Google treats the site just as well on a new domain)?

Or should I just redirect nichesite.com to niche-site.com and stick with niche-site.com for life?

My thoughts are:
  • niche-site.com looks cheap, and it always will
  • the website will never have this little traffic, so it's best to rip off the band aid now
  • losing that $1k a month will hurt the project right now. I'm reinvesting everything right now so if the traffic drops a lot I will have less to spend

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
@jjj_, you could move the site to the new domain, 301 redirect all pages on the old domain to the exact same pages on the new domain, set up a "site move" in Search Console, and everything should work out just fine, especially since nothing is changing. No text, no templates, no HTML, nothing.

But you never know. You might see some bouncing, you might not. There's more of a chance of it going perfectly smooth than not, but there is a risk.

Degree
There's more of a chance of it going perfectly smooth than not, but there is a risk.
A friend did a migration recently and messed up a lot of things. He lost around 60% of his traffic and has been trying to claw it back since (9 months later).

But, I know this is the right thing to do for the brand long term.

Degree
A friend did a migration recently and messed up a lot of things. He lost around 60% of his traffic and has been trying to claw it back since (9 months later).

But, I know this is the right thing to do for the brand long term.
I've done it once and had some trouble with the search console "new domain" selection. Must have been a bug, because the console just refused to list the non-www version of the new domain. I couldn't find anything on Google about it, domain registrar stuff was validated correctly and all that. The traffic dropped and came back in 1.5 months.

You can always go through the process on a dummy domain with some test posts live on it before doing it on a real site.

Jared

Breaking the Shackles of a Lifetime of Bummery
Degree
Is it worth going after brand-name website keywords?

Let me give you an example.

In politics, there's a site called Conservative Treehouse. According to ahrefs, their brand name gets almost 200,000 monthly searches -- not too shabby. The competition score is very low (single digits). There are dozens of similar sites with low competition and xx,xxx and xxx,xxx monthly searches.

Are these keywords worth going after, or does the presumed searcher intent and SERP-hogging sitelinks devalue them to the point they're not worth it?

Thanks.

Degree

In politics, there's a site called Conservative Treehouse. According to ahrefs, their brand name gets almost 200,000 monthly searches -- not too shabby. The competition score is very low (single digits). There are dozens of similar sites with low competition and xx,xxx and xxx,xxx monthly searches.

Are these keywords worth going after, or does the presumed searcher intent and SERP-hogging sitelinks devalue them to the point they're not worth it?

Thanks.
I have made more than a few sales from people googling the advertiser to check if they're legit. I have a "Brand" page for each vendor where I show their ratings on various platforms (Facebook etc), along with a feed generated search engine to find current offers. Then some more background info etc, history of the brand and so on. It's not a big hitter, but it has given enough sales to be worth the effort. In addition, I did it to increase trust and relevancy, since brand keywords are always linked in Google to more general keywords.

Degree

Thanks.
Do you mean ranking for the keyword "conservative treehouse"? Someone searching for that is looking for the latest conservative news to read from their favorite website. Not likely you'll outrank. You might land a #2-4 position in best case scenario, but because of the intent, I'd assume that most people are clicking through on the first result.

Options are:
  • Conservative treehouse review
  • Is conservative treehouse X?
  • How does conservative treehouse X?
  • etc.
But I'd be more worried about monetization with those, the traffic is likely not worth the effort. Unless you have your own conservative news website or email list where you can push them.

Otherwise, it depends on the keyword and the intent of the searcher. If TCTH is ranking for some term, and you know you can do a better article on the topic and build more/better links to it, why not go for it. If you have ahrefs you can see their top pages by traffic, so I'd start from there.

Degree
Earlier in my website's life, I made a 'best of' post that was pretty generic - imagine "best flip phones". Is it possible to edit the slug on the URL to "best fip phones for running" without having to do any redirects? If there does need to be redirects, or something else, what ones?

I want to make the URL more specific because I'm writing another article in a similar area at the moment (but not similar enough to be part of the same article) and don't want there to be any confusion of duplicate content.

Degree
Why don't you just leave the slug as it is? And use a different one for the new article? The slug doesn't mean anything when it comes to what is on the page or what people use to link to it (unless they are using the url as the text in the link and even then it's hardly crucial).

If you are thinking 'oh, I have to do this because this SEO tool told me to', then whether a web page is called jlkj34gmlke.php or best-flip-phones-forever-honest-guaranteed-guv-youll-never-find-a-bargain-like-this-again.php really has minimal influence on any rankings.

Degree
I want to test out advertorials and/or sponsorships for a website I have with around 10k monthly visitors in an entertainment niche. The people visiting are mostly high school and college age girls.

My plan is to cold email 100 companies and organizations and seeing who bites.

I have 2 questions:
  • Curious if there is a rule of thumb for pricing. I should be able to get 500-1k views on that in the first month. I'd like to price it "cheaply" to start, but don't even know what a cheap price for an advertorial would be. This is something that could potentially get views for a long time given the way I recommend articles
  • Having trouble coming up with 100 brands that I think would bite. I'm avoiding the big consumer brands like Coca Cola because I'm probably too small. Was looking at sponsors for more niche events and conferences, but it's not a lot. Was wondering if anybody had ideas for how to think more creatively about this to find more potential sponsors

Degree
Posting from my Laboratory thread, as I know not everyone reads them.

At the moment, jeff@domain.com is auto-forwarding to jeff@jeffscompany.com. I'd like to have this set up where either I can:
  1. set up a list of keywords that auto flags the email to not be forwarded
  2. have a system where I login each morning and manually review each email before approving it to be forwarded
Does anyone know of a tool that could work as a G-suite extension or something that can be built using Zapier that would achieve either (or both) of these scenarios?

darkzerothree

DunkelNullDrei
Degree
I want to test out advertorials and/or sponsorships for a website I have with around 10k monthly visitors in
  • Curious if there is a rule of thumb for pricing. I should be able to get 500-1k views on that in the first month. I'd like to price it "cheaply" to start, but don't even know what a cheap price for an advertorial would be. This is something that could potentially get views for a long time given the way I recommend articles
As for this, 500-1K views is nothing. You might be doing better by not even mentioning it.
Pricing I have seen is all over the place.

Might take Google pricing as a guideline.
Say a keyword in the niche costs .1$ and CTR is about 5%
That way, 1K views are basically worth 50 clicks or 5$
You want to make money, so you double that and add a fee for article writing and publishing of Idk - 20$
So your price might be 25-30$

Unless someone else has a better perspective, I guess you'll have to experiment with this.

• Having trouble coming up with 100 brands that I think would bite. I'm avoiding the big consumer brands like Coca Cola because I'm probably too small. Was looking at sponsors for more niche events and conferences, but it's not a lot. Was wondering if anybody had ideas for how to think more creatively about this to find more potential sponsors
Don't stay away from the big names. Yes, chances might be low, but they have the budgets.

Degree
Don't stay away from the big names. Yes, chances might be low, but they have the budgets.
Thank you!! Do you happen to have any experience with this part? For smaller orgs it's fairly easy to tell who I should reach out to. For big, it's definitely a swing for the fences, any thoughts who I should be swinging at? More senior vs. junior vs. where I'm most likely to get somebody to take a flyer