Newbie Question(s) so dumb, you're afraid to even ask!

Yvv

Degree
As a dropshiper do you keed know how to do every single thing and run all of them alone, (starting out) like copywriting, consumer psychology, design, coding, accounting, email marketing, seo, links, social media content, photo editing, etc..? Note that I am simply incapable of writing no matter how hard I try and have a budget of a student working as a cashier.

Degree
As a dropshiper do you keed know how to do every single thing and run all of them alone, (starting out) like copywriting, consumer psychology, design, coding, accounting, email marketing, seo, links, social media content, photo editing, etc..?
Nobody knows everything and not even amazon do everything right. And not everybody thinks the same thing or process is good.
You do things one step at a time and solve the issues as they arise.
eg you can start with wordpress and design /coding won't matter for a while.
You won't need to think about accounting until you make decent income.

Note that I am simply incapable of writing no matter how hard I try and have a budget of a student working as a cashier.
So I decide to go into a new niche and start a drop shipping site. Just so happens to be the same as yours.
I allocate $1000 to start the project, start with 20000 words of content and a decent looking site easily done in wordpress.
I then allocate $50 a week for site building/content for 6 mths and will reinvest all site income for the following 6 months.

How will you beat me to the prospective customers?
What would make them see your website first?
Which site will keep customers engaged based on the quality of the content?

Yvv

Degree
Nobody knows everything and not even amazon do everything right. And not everybody thinks the same thing or process is good.
You do things one step at a time and solve the issues as they arise.
eg you can start with wordpress and design /coding won't matter for a while.
You won't need to think about accounting until you make decent income.

So I decide to go into a new niche and start a drop shipping site. Just so happens to be the same as yours.
I allocate $1000 to start the project, start with 20000 words of content and a decent looking site easily done in wordpress.
I then allocate $50 a week for site building/content for 6 mths and will reinvest all site income for the following 6 months.

How will you beat me to the prospective customers?
What would make them see your website first?
Which site will keep customers engaged based on the quality of the content?
Good response
Thanks

I've recently learned that content gets prospective customers and keeps them engaged. I was always pushed to believed to rely on social media marketing but somewhere in the back of my head I wondered "what about SEO, surely there are other ways to get traffic".

Recently I was looking into consumer psychology and seen that urgency is a way to get them buy. Flash sales, limited supplies etc. But also timers. I noticed that the timers on shopify keep going forever or you can choose to stop it and wondered " what if a customer comes back and sees the same timer for the same product?". Since when the timer stops the prices won't return to their original prices, I'll have to do that manually for every single product.

Rowling

Looking for my own path
Degree
I get a lot of comments on my posts. Some are simple "Thanks so much for writing this" (from legit email addresses without any links), while others are more detailed or asking questions for further info.

Should I be publishing comments? What are the arguments for/against?
Hi.

Sometimes those are comments from people that never visit your site again and there is a technique which allows you take some advantage of them.

It's not my idea; I read it some time ago and applied to my webs.

First, edit email address that is on the comment. So the writer will not recieve any notification.

Second, edit the comment to add more valuable words to your post.

And third (bonus track!), if applies, add a link to your site (related content, a post that you want to rank better, etc.)

Hope it helps.

Degree
Dofollow backlinks from pages that are not indexed in Google have zero value, right?

Context: Looking at a competitor's backlink profile from Ahrefs, and there are many "profile" type of links that are not indexed in Google.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Dofollow backlinks from pages that are not indexed in Google have zero value, right?

Context: Looking at a competitor's backlink profile from Ahrefs, and there are many "profile" type of links that are not indexed in Google.
John Mueller has claimed that Google is pretty much now ignoring all user-generated links. I don't think that that means contextual links like on Medium or something, since there's an editorial process for each blog. But he specifically pointed out Pinterest profile links as an example. Even if you do the business account and get dofollow, they ignore it. I'm sure that goes for forum links and other types.

But I don't agree that noindex pages pass no page rank. I think they absolutely do. John Mueller made a statement once about noindex pages eventually making all links go nofollow (because they aren't crawled) and Gary Illyes corrected him. The logic is that... why would it matter if they "kind of" go nofollow if they didn't pass juice? Also, if they still get crawled from links on your site otherwise, they'll still flow juice through them, which then flows juice through the links on those pages. An example would be noindex-ing all paged pages of a category archive (page/2/ and onward) but still having them linked through the pagination.

Degree
But I don't agree that noindex pages pass no page rank. I think they absolutely do. John Mueller made a statement once about noindex pages eventually making all links go nofollow (because they aren't crawled) and Gary Illyes corrected him. The logic is that... why would it matter if they "kind of" go nofollow if they didn't pass juice? Also, if they still get crawled from links on your site otherwise, they'll still flow juice through them, which then flows juice through the links on those pages.
Haha, I actually found that Mueller video, but not the correction from Illyes!

That "eventually go nofollow" story sounded like some Google bullshit indeed, glad to have that clarified. Because the non-indexed pages (at least some of them) seem to pass juice, from looking at that competitor's profile.

Here's the competitor I'm looking at:

DR: 33
Dofollow RDs: 247
Indexed DF Links: 47
Non-indexed DF links: 200
  • Links are mostly comments/fundraisers/events/forum posts/profiles/directories
  • The rest is bought guest posts & niche edits - super-obvious ones like TheFrisky etc. And 2-3 links from a failed scholarship campaign.
So here's a breakdown of the 47 indexed links that this guy has:

No way that this alone would give him a DR 33, right? So it seems that links from the non-indexed pages pass juice as well.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
No way that this alone would give him a DR 33, right? So it seems that links from the non-indexed pages pass juice as well.
You can't confuse Ahref's DR metric with anything related to Google. Ahref's is definitely counting links from noindex pages. That doesn't mean Google does, though, although I think they do. Just saying to be careful with assuming Ahref's choices are evidence for anything Google actually does.

Degree
I read Ryuzaki's thread about security breaches in Wordpress.

It had me looking through my own setup.

I realized that two of my main money sites are on the same VPS, with two other sites. I was thinking perhaps this could be a potential risk and if I should buy two more servers for each main site.

A few minutes ago I contacted Cloudways support to get their input on this. He said that the applications are isolated, but if one site is hacked and infected with malware that drain server resources the server provider might stop my server due to abuse, thus shutting down all of my sites.

What do you guys think?

Right now I'm leaning towards getting two more VPS servers to eliminate the above risk. I rather not pay 20 bucks extra per week, but if it can save me in the future, then it's a no-brainer.

Degree
He said that the applications are isolated, but if one site is hacked and infected with malware that drain server resources the server provider might stop my server due to abuse, thus shutting down all of my sites.
I'd say that you're worrying too much about it since AFAIK malware doesn't necessarily drain server resources to the point of them shutting it down. $80/month is a lot of money, you could invest it in a security audit of your site instead.

I'd proof the sites 110% to make them as hack-resistant as possible. And then I'd have a solid backup plan in case they shut down your server, including some kind of a warning system (phone, email), and deal with it if it actually occurs.

Degree
I'd say that you're worrying too much about it since AFAIK malware doesn't necessarily drain server resources to the point of them shutting it down. $80/month is a lot of money, you could invest it in a security audit of your site instead.

I'd proof the sites 110% to make them as hack-resistant as possible. And then I'd have a solid backup plan in case they shut down your server, including some kind of a warning system (phone, email), and deal with it if it actually occurs.
Thanks for your input and advice. Then I will keep them on the same server for now. :-)

I just want to correct myself, I meant that 2 VPS's would cost me 20 extra per month, not week. :-)

Degree
I want to ask, after a year i found that one of my main projects (which sells products) dont have a home button in main or mobile menu only clickable logo. Should i add it there? I personally didnt found any relevant negative opinion on this. I found that it could help seo juice to flow better to homepage. What do you think? Thank you

Degree
I want to ask, after a year i found that one of my main projects (which sells products) dont have a home button in main or mobile menu only clickable logo. Should i add it there? I personally didnt found any relevant negative opinion on this. I found that it could help seo juice to flow better to homepage. What do you think? Thank you
Why wouldn't you? It's a navigation element. If the logo already has a link to the homepage you aren't sending anymore authority to it from an additional link but there really is no reason not to if it improves user experience.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
In my opinion this is fine, and it's how I design all of my own sites and sites for clients. I'd argue that 99% of the people that browse the web knows the convention that logos are clickable and return you to the homepage. I'd also argue that clutter in the main navigation is a negative to user experience.

Degree
In my opinion this is fine, and it's how I design all of my own sites and sites for clients. I'd argue that 99% of the people that browse the web knows the convention that logos are clickable and return you to the homepage. I'd also argue that clutter in the main navigation is a negative to user experience.
Thinking this through a bit more, I agree. And to be fair, I remembered most of my sites don't have "Home" links, my old school web design brain kicked in on the previous reply.

Degree
I'm thinking of using an aged domain for my next site, however my target country is not the US.

Are there any issues I should be aware of if using a domain that has previously targetted US or international traffic and switching the geo targetting to my target country?

I'm confident the links would still be valuable but I'm more concerned about the geo target change impacting ability to rank in local SERPs.

Any insights on how Google treats domains that switch geo targets after many years?

RBT

Degree
Here's my newbie question:

I created a website last year and it is getting a decent amount of traffic now, to the point that I can actually go ahead with monetization. It is in the careers and education niche. I have signed up and been approved to Rakuten and ShareASale and beginning to place affiliate links. My question is which are the best programs to promote for course material?

• I checked Coursera and I can see some nice $2,000 certificates on coursera but the website states '*Degrees and Certificate purchases excluded. " at the bottom. Then whats left to promote?
  • Then I checked Udemy but it only has really discounted courses and small commissions.

There are a lot of things that I can promote other than courses and I am still learning, but would appreciate guidance from people who are experienced in this. I might eventually sell my own stuff, but not there yet.

Thanks!

Degree
My question is which are the best programs to promote for course material?
I would start with the competitors - what are they promoting? Both SEO and PPC. Probably the fastest way of finding out what converts.

RBT

Degree
I would start with the competitors - what are they promoting? Both SEO and PPC. Probably the fastest way of finding out what converts.
Thanks for your reply. The biggest guys are mostly promoting their own digital products and services. For now, I cant make those products so just want to start with some affiliate stuff.

So I was just wondering if anyone here has experience with Coursera, Udemy? Or Campus Explorer?

The thing is you can find a LOT of information online about Amazon affiliates etc. but for education/ career niche, I don't know where to look.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
@RBT, Take a look at QuinStreet if you think you can drive leads to colleges. There's several different ways they help you do it (think widgets, landers, filters, etc.). The problem is getting into QuinStreet. It took me forever and a lot of hounding of different people to even get a reply. I had to find contacts offsite, actually. They wouldn't even respond if you went through the expected channels like their contact form and all that.

Degree
I see Google has pushed a lot of people to the new search console.

2 things are missing which concerns me:
1. Change of Address
2. Disavow

Both are available if you know the old URLs but haven't been included as legacy tools.

Are we thinking that these are no longer useful (301s will suffice for a domain migration)? I know many here are religious about their disavows. Keen to hear your views.

Degree
Both are available if you know the old URLs but haven't been included as legacy tools.
On the bottom left of Search Console you can "Go Back to Old Version" or something like that and still access all of those tools. They've said on Twitter that they're still porting tools to the new Search Console and it's not finished, which is why we still have access to the old one.

They've also said they most likely will not be including the Disavow Tool. The story is that it can do more harm than good, but the truth is probably that they've used the data we gave them to train the algorithms and no longer need it.