Newbie Question(s) so dumb, you're afraid to even ask!

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Question - Why do SEOs need "Indexer Tools"? Software that indexes pages their pages in Google (example - GSA link indexer, Speed Links, Backlink Indexer, etc)
I think that's usually for spam, web 2.0's, and low grade PBNs, old posts on old sites with "niche edits," tier 2 and tier 3 links, etc. There's two reasons: 1) Get crap that would never get crawled indexed or re-indexed with the update, 2) Link sellers trying to get their clients results ASAP for good reviews and less complaints.

Most respectable stuff is going to get crawled by Google soon enough without extra prodding, especially if you've set up sitemaps in Search Console, your CMS is using ping services, etc.

Sutra

Breathe the body deep
BuSo Pro
Degree
@Olov does screamfrog do this?
Not from what I could find. A few days ago I was searching for that function for an hour with no success. With Link-assistant I found it after a minute.
Just saw this. Yes, Screaming Frog can do this. Not sure if it's in the free version though. After you've run the url, go to Visualizations (in the menu bar) then choose one of the "Forced-Directed" diagram options.

EyesExist

Happy Beast
Degree
So, i've made $11k revenue from the site I discussed in my lab study (business #2):
https://www.buildersociety.com/threads/changed-strategy-team-work-time.4130/

howver, it's only about 4 months old. I KNOW there's a ton of potential but i want to sell to build my 'nest egg' and focus on another project I have brewing..... I always sell projects early if they aren't of ultimate interest to me.

I believe sometimes it's better to sell while the trend is swinging upward... when you dont have a ton of money to sit on yourself ($100k or less).. and in this case, i could knock out a major expense, have money left over, and focus on the new project.

Plus I have just been freshly acquired by 'DFY links' for my SEO company which gives me a new revenue stream as well

So I was wondering,

With $11k revenue but only in 4 months.. Would it be hard to get ~$48k in a sale? 5x the revenue?

The profits are probabl around $7k-$8k .. so it would be more like 7x(or less) x the profit.

Degree
Going to start doing some email outreach (around 120 emails a day outbound), personalized with details from a spreadsheet.

1. Originally, I was going to automate these to go out directly from my gmail account using a tool I have. I want these to look like normal sends and not a mass email. I may look at scaling this out more eventually, so considering doing it right in a way that could actually scale to thousands per day. If I were to do thousands a day, what would be the proper set up? How much would I be looking to spend?
  2. If I do end up using a gmail, I know fresh accounts get blocked pretty fast. Where I can I buy properly warmed up/aged gmail accounts? Or is there a process to adequately warm up gmails to send hundreds a day without getting the account suspended

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
With $11k revenue but only in 4 months.. Would it be hard to get ~$48k in a sale? 5x the revenue?
Sounds reasonable but the problem is that you haven't proven stability, but there's nearly always a buyer that won't care, especially since you're asking for a lower than usual price. $11k divided by 4 months is $2,750 a month. You can tend to fetch anywhere from 20x - 36x the monthly revenue. You're asking for 17.5x, which might make up for the lack of history for eager buyers.

EyesExist

Happy Beast
Degree
Sounds reasonable but the problem is that you haven't proven stability, but there's nearly always a buyer that won't care, especially since you're asking for a lower than usual price. $11k divided by 4 months is $2,750 a month. You can tend to fetch anywhere from 20x - 36x the monthly revenue. You're asking for 17.5x, which might make up for the lack of history for eager buyers.
Usually people want 1 year history right?

Where do you think I could land a sale?

Degree
  1. Originally, I was going to automate these to go out directly from my gmail account using a tool I have. I want these to look like normal sends and not a mass email. I may look at scaling this out more eventually, so considering doing it right in a way that could actually scale to thousands per day. If I were to do thousands a day, what would be the proper set up? How much would I be looking to spend?
You will not be able to send thousands per day ever with Gmail. You would need a proper ESP like mailchimp or something like that. But before you use an ESP like mailchimp you need to make sure your list is clean & won't mark you as SPAM. Also, setting up with an ESP you have to worry about burning out your domain & so you would need to cycle through domains. Why? The more people who click SPAM damages your sender reputation & eventually all of them go to spam or immediately bounce. Mailchimp & most other ESPs will then ban you for having a high bounce rate / low sender rep. The same burnout will apply to generic gmails, but gmail will never get up to thousands per day.

If I do end up using a gmail, I know fresh accounts get blocked pretty fast. Where I can I buy properly warmed up/aged gmail accounts? Or is there a process to adequately warm up gmails to send hundreds a day without getting the account suspended
Time is the main warm up factor. You will eventually get banned, so you need to have the mindset of churn & burn. Meaning you would need multiple gmail accounts & only send little per gmail.

Ultimately gmail would be bad for scale, so you could use gmail to clean the list & then move to an ESP. But your list needs to be pretty clean before you import them into an ESP.

Degree
You will not be able to send thousands per day ever with Gmail. You would need a proper ESP like mailchimp or something like that. But before you use an ESP like mailchimp you need to make sure your list is clean & won't mark you as SPAM. Also, setting up with an ESP you have to worry about burning out your domain & so you would need to cycle through domains. Why? The more people who click SPAM damages your sender reputation & eventually all of them go to spam or immediately bounce. Mailchimp & most other ESPs will then ban you for having a high bounce rate / low sender rep. The same burnout will apply to generic gmails, but gmail will never get up to thousands per day.

Time is the main warm up factor. You will eventually get banned, so you need to have the mindset of churn & burn. Meaning you would need multiple gmail accounts & only send little per gmail.

Ultimately gmail would be bad for scale, so you could use gmail to clean the list & then move to an ESP. But your list needs to be pretty clean before you import them into an ESP.
this is great thanks!! if I were to buy a domain to put on an ESP, would I need to warm up the email/domain at all before sending?

I should have a fairly low bounce rate as I've tested this in the past at 50 a day with a old gmail I had and it worked fine and still works fine. The gmail is useful to me though so I don't want to burn it up. Would also consider getting like 10 gmails sending 100 a day, hosted on a bunch of proxies

Degree
this is great thanks!! if I were to buy a domain to put on an ESP, would I need to warm up the email/domain at all before sending?
Yes & no. Say you have 10k on your list.
1) Make this list crystal clean as far as bounce rates & spam reports. Use something else for this. Then, take the clean list and import say 5k into MailChimp (they have excellent deliverability). It can be a fresh domain.
2) Then, you would add 500 - 1k (randomize this number to look natural) every week. If they ever ask (because bounces get high or spam complaints get high), you just say I'm bringing an old list in from Wix, Godaddy (this way you sound like a newbie) & you're just importing them weekly.
3) Blast away.
4) Try someone else besides Mailchimp (constant contact first) just incase, so that you can use them & if they ban you then you'll learn.

I should have a fairly low bounce rate as I've tested this in the past at 50 a day with a old gmail I had and it worked fine and still works fine. The gmail is useful to me though so I don't want to burn it up. Would also consider getting like 10 gmails sending 100 a day, hosted on a bunch of proxies
Yes, use gmail for your High quality list. They have very high deliverability as well. However, I would only use crystal clean lists with a gmail that I care about. Otherwise, find someone to buy gmails off of & wait at least 30 - 60 days, then start with 10 per day & ramp it up from there.

Degree
Does anyone have a great example of a large blog (100,000 sessions a day type of site) that has their schema set up perfectly?

I am specifically thinking about the home page.

Individual posts should be simple, but I don't know what schema should be used on the home page. I'm thinking Organization schema makes sense, but don't know if I should also be including BlogPosting (https://schema.org/BlogPosting) as well, as the home page shows snippets of about 10 latest posts.

If someone has a guide, great.. but if not an example will be really helpful.

Degree
Does anyone have a great example of a large blog (100,000 sessions a day type of site) that has their schema set up perfectly?
Perfectly, is subjective. I'd say you want to focus more on what info you want to include.

If someone has a guide, great.. but if not an example will be really helpful.
Let's take is straight from the horses mouth: https://developers.google.com/search/docs/data-types/article

On the left this gives you the ones that Google includes in their guide. So, just put as many of those as applicable on each page.

Be sure to use JSON-LD, but if you're in a pinch use Microdata.

Then, use their validator to make sure that you have no errors, no warnings: https://search.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool

Degree
Hi Guy's,I don't know if this is the place to post this,anyway, while searching for a term backpack, there's a site that is ranking first,and its robot.txt is blocked, any seo's what's your take?

Degree
Hey, have a question: I have a 2 websites ranking for a same keyword in page 1. Would you interlink them between each other? If yes, would you use the same keyword for both of them? Or it is too big footprint? Dont really know how to behave in this situation.
Thank you very much

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Hi Guy's,I don't know if this is the place to post this,anyway, while searching for a term backpack, there's a site that is ranking first,and its robot.txt is blocked, any seo's what's your take?
Google claims that, though they'll index pages like this that they can't read, that they won't rank them. During updates, weird stuff happens though and the index not only becomes weird but the overall quality dips until the effects of the update propagate out. I think you'll find that page disappears soon. The only reason it would rank is if a lot of internal page rank is going to that page (they should be using a meta noindex, not robots.txt, and nofollowing those links) and it's a pretty powerful domain.

Hey, have a question: I have a 2 websites ranking for a same keyword in page 1. Would you interlink them between each other? If yes, would you use the same keyword for both of them? Or it is too big footprint? Dont really know how to behave in this situation.
Thank you very much
That in itself is not the big footprint, though I'd use two different longer-tail variations that include the main keyword. You're allowed to own more than one website and you're allowed to link your brands together. But there are signs that it's a manipulation ploy, like when they're on the same server and IP address, same topics going for the same keywords, etc.

I wouldn't risk it. Yes, it would fortify the rankings of those two pages, but you could also just get each page some more links from other sources instead and carry no risk in that regard.

Degree
Greetings.
Is anyone active on Wikipedia? I think that one of my sites could be used as reference for some Wiki pages but I'm reluctant to do the edits myself with a new account (already got a site banned in the past...). Do you know if somebody can help me do this for a fee?

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
@Luxalpha, reach out to @kingofthewiki about this.

Otherwise, I've had zero issues with Wikipedia and have a 100% stick rate so far. It works like anything else. You have to warm up the account and use it, then do your link drop, then use your account some more, link drop, repeat. I really just fix typos whenever I see them when I'm reading random posts.

I tend to dig down into rare topics so there's plenty of opportunity to fix really dumb stuff people put up there. Doing that has let me slide so far. Of course, it helps for the post you're linking to to be really professional on a legitimate site (not saying yours aren't, just stating it for the readers who think they might get away with something silly).

Degree
I'm just wondering how to optimise the following:
I have a page in multiple languages.
Let's say French, Dutch, English and German.

I would like all of these to get the benefits from the English "link". (Becasue this one is very popular)

I don't mind changing the set up, so it's just one link, and onpage a script decides what language it needs to show or something. I just have no idea how to get started.

This is hypthetical, I don't have a popular page yet. But I was working on the layout and design of my site and this bothers me.

I just seems such a waste to have a website in multiple languages and not being able to transfer the advantages of popularity in one language to the others.

Am I wasting my time here?

Degree
@WinMore. I don't think that's possible. You could go as far as changing the hreflang tag and everything. At the end of the day, every URL can only have one canonical URL. Meaning Google is going to recognize the English URL as the English URL and not as the other languages. That's a huge problem for you if you're doing this for SEO purposes.

If it's for PPC then carry on, who cares.

For SEO you're better off having sub-folders of the site like .com/fr for France and duplicating everything there. You could set up a redirect script on the English part to send people to the right spot, but this way they'd likely land on the right spot in their own search engine.

Degree
I suppose writing a script on the page that allows people to click on a button to see their preferred language doesn't work?

In my mind it would still be the same page... But maybe search engine then only see the default language?
If I can change the setting automatically to the language of the browser, I think this might be plausible?

I guess I won't implement this, because in the end, if I'm correct, only one language will be indexed.
So a Dutch person will only find the English excerpt, click on it and see the text in Dutch. This might be a little weird.

Degree
Is there a recent, up to date guide on keyword research? I am starting a niche Amazon affiliate site and I want to start by targeting low competition review/best keywords as well as low competition info keywords.

Degree
I've been reading a bit about network effects recently. If you don't know what a network effect is the definition is as follows: a phenomenon whereby a product or service gains additional value as more people use it.

The cost to the owner of the network rises linearly but the value generated (a lot of the time by the users themselves, if not always?) rises exponetionally.

An example would be the App Store on the iPhone or similar - more people available to download apps means more apps are created and in turn even more people download the apps. The cycle continues. People don't want to miss out on this, leading to more iPhones being purchased and Apple's revenue goes up without doing too much, relatively speaking.

The trouble is you need a critical mass of users in the first place to to initiate the network effect. If no one is uploading video clips to Youtube then there's no viewer base. Once enough videos are uploaded, however, the traffic comes and more videos are uploaded, etc.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had implemented something like this for their own sites, either intentionally or accidentally? My site hasn't reached critial mass yet but I'm wondering if it's something that should be thought about and pounced on once the opportunity arises. A forum on the site is an option but I'm not sure I'm feeling that. Any ideas?

Degree
Is there a recent, up to date guide on keyword research? I am starting a niche Amazon affiliate site and I want to start by targeting low competition review/best keywords as well as low competition info keywords.
Depends on which methods/tools you want to use, here's one free way to do it that I like:

1. This Nichehacks post is very in-depth when it comes to finding all the keywords that could be relevant to your niche. Follow the guide, and get a list of "root" keywords from there, the more the better. Save the list to Excel.

(OR keep it simple and focus on 10-20 root keywords that you already know for a start - e.g. survival, prepping, doomsday, prepper, homesteading etc.)

2. Once you've got your list of root keywords, get yourself a "keywords everywhere" addon and set it up to target US. Make sure the extension is turned on in your browser.

3. Then go to keyword shitter. Test it by putting something in there and clicking "shit" - you should get keywords with their search volumes coming out below. If it works - great. If not, then the addon is not working and you might have to try in different browser.

4. Plug one of your root keywords into keyword shitter. Press shit keywords. When the dump has exhausted itself, copy the results that the tool spits out from below together with their volumes to an excel sheet. Repeat this process for each keyword.

(You can add buyer-intent modifiers like "best" and "review" to your dumps, although if you let it run long enough they should come up by themselves.)

In Excel, write a 2 formulas in adjacent cells to your list that (1) extract out the keyword and (2) extract out the volume from the original cell. You can learn the formula by Googling "how to extract a part of string excel" or something similar.

You now have a list of keywords with their volumes for your niche. From here on, you should:
  • See which ones are buyer-intent, and which ones are informational
  • Google the keywords one by one & gauge the competition with MOZ toolbar
  • Create a content calendar & start pounding
(Or you could just watch a Youtube video on how to do keyword & competition research with ahrefs, get their $7 trial, cancel right away, and squeeze the shit out of it while it lasts.)

Degree
  • Google the keywords one by one & gauge the competition with MOZ toolbar
Thanks! Mainly, I was interested in reading a guide about how to gauge competition (is Keyword Golden Ratio good etc?) since I do not want to build backlinks to this new project (at first).

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Degree
Anyone remember the good old times when Google had that "keyword wheel" in the bottom of serps? You could basically see exactly how Google grouped keywords. Of course, this was before AI and content grouping. What would be the current equivalent?