Newbie Question(s) so dumb, you're afraid to even ask!

Degree
Any recommendations for hosting? I used WiredTree years ago and they were the best when it came to customer support. I had a VPS plan and that seemed to work out in the beginning to get things started. I saw they were acquired by LiquidWeb but I have no experience with them. Who do you guys use/recommend that also has great customer support?

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
I got what RPM is, but what's EMP? Thanks
Revenue Per Mille and Earnings Per Mille, one being based on revenue and one based on profit.

Oh, I see, my bad. I had a typo. It's not EMP (electromagnetic pulse), it's EPM.

Degree
Any recommendations for hosting? I used WiredTree years ago and they were the best when it came to customer support. I had a VPS plan and that seemed to work out in the beginning to get things started. I saw they were acquired by LiquidWeb but I have no experience with them. Who do you guys use/recommend that also has great customer support?
I have SiteGround. Customer service is fantastic. Reasonably priced for solid performance. Might be some others out there but it's head and shoulders above GoDaddy, HostGator.

Degree
My question is: lets say your whole site just need to have 5 long quality articles which cover every keyword which you need target. Would you still add articles to the blog even the fact that you dont need them? How crucial is to keep the site updated with fresh content? I didnt read any related article to this so far. Or is there any minimum like 1 article per month, or it could be a waste of money? Or it totally depends on the niche only?

Degree
My question is: lets say your whole site just need to have 5 long quality articles which cover every keyword which you need target. Would you still add articles to the blog even the fact that you dont need them? How crucial is to keep the site updated with fresh content? I didnt read any related article to this so far. Or is there any minimum like 1 article per month, or it could be a waste of money? Or it totally depends on the niche only?
There's always content that you could be routinely adding to your website to supplement your pillar articles. An easy way to find these pieces is to look on forums / Q&A sites to see what users are asking. Odds are people did a Google search for the answer prior to posting. Depending on the niche, at least 1 per month, but preferably at least 1 per week.

Degree
There's always content that you could be routinely adding to your website to supplement your pillar articles. An easy way to find these pieces is to look on forums / Q&A sites to see what users are asking. Odds are people did a Google search for the answer prior to posting. Depending on the niche, at least 1 per month, but preferably at least 1 per week.
It's more than supplementation though.

Topic clusters/supporting content is a great way to increase relevancy on-site and make your site an authority on a topic. Authorities will always rank better than thin content sites.

I always think of topic cluster content as easy ways to get links. More often than not the modifier type articles like "vs" "how to" etc that are easy to rank. When you rank, people link to you. Internal those to your pillars and you get free juice flowing.

@JamaicanMoose is spot on with forums + Q/A sites. Stick your keywords into tools like:
https://answerthepublic.com/

Then bulk check the volumes. Even searches of 50-100 per month start to add up.

Degree
Anyone with experience of the Soledad theme?

I am currently using Generatepress on most of my sites, but thinking of going with Soledad for one of them. But my previous experience with Themeforest themese made me a skeptic. Is it bloated and slow like Newspaper and all the other themes?

Generatepress is lightning fast and clean, but some of Soledads themes looks way better in terms of UX.

Degree
If, you have an affiliate niche site then the product you have recommended is no longer available,what do you do?

Degree
If, you have an affiliate niche site then the product you have recommended is no longer available,what do you do?
Agreed with JamaicanMoose. Otherwise might be interesting to try something different related to your niche if that particular product didn't convert well.

Degree
Hey, another question (also happy new year), recently I logged into webmaster tools on one of my sites which I thought perform in terms of speed above average and it looks I was wrong.
I have got an SLOW message in Mobile speed for all pages/posts. Computer is average.
My score on pagespeed is:
Mobile: 79 score (Desktop: 97)
Mobile: FCP - 3,1s , FMP - 3,2s
Average page size under <1MB (mostly about 0,5MB)
My question is: Would you care about that slow webmaster tools speed thing and should I resolve this? If yes, how? Ryuzaki mentioned that FCP is mostly about TTFB, so hosting change? Can you reccomend me any which can perform well? Im assuming that because my theme is configured good and my images are optimized to the max, dont really know what is wrong :!
Right now running that site on shared server with activated cloudflare.
Thank you my friends

Last edited:

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Ryuzaki mentioned that FCP is mostly about TTFB, so hosting change? Can you reccomend me any which can perform well? Im assuming that because my theme is configured good and my images are optimized to the max, dont really know what is wrong :!
It's not mostly about Time to First Byte (TTFB) but if you can get that faster then everything else is faster because everything else comes after it. Otherwise, First Contentful Paint (FCP) is about getting anything rendered on the screen. That typically means reducing render-blocking files in size or making them asynchronous or defer them for later (CSS and JS files).

You can inline some CSS in the <head> of your HTML before you call the full CSS file to help the above-the-fold area render sooner, rather than having to download and parse through the CSS file. You can have a Flash of Unstyled Text (FOUT) so that system fonts appear before whatever nice font you're serving. You can lazy load images (deferring the ones above-the-fold) so you can flash anything else up faster like text.

Degree
I have created a site that targeting the exact same keywords as one of my other sites. Hence, I don't want to add them both on the same Google analytics and webmaster account.

I feel kinda handicapped without analytics and webmasters.

Therefore I am thinking of getting a VPN and a second sim card to my phone, create a second email account with analytics and webmasters, and only login there through my VPN.

Would that be overboard? What do you guys think and how do you do it?

Degree
Would that be overboard? What do you guys think and how do you do it?
You're being paranoid. Just get a new Google account for the new site and proceed as normal. I wouldn't put them in the same account, but I wouldn't go through all that other stuff you're talking about. Google doesn't constantly scan and cross reference IP addresses and what domains are ranking for random SERPs.

It's only when you get into PBN link buying that you risk an algorithmic penalty and even then there's no human involved. When you get into PBN link selling you'll get the manual treatment and then, yes, it gets pretty investigative.

Degree
Hi, I have some questions related to the running of my forum:
1. I have tons and tons of image boards (forum topics that contain a lot of images), but there is very little text. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to add better value to those images boards? I am currently paying for a content writer to conduct light research and to write biographical profiles.
2. Does anyone have any recommendation on easy video content creation? I feel like short-form and long-form video is the future of winning in SEO.

Jared

Breaking the Shackles of a Lifetime of Bummery
Degree
WebSite Auditor is your best choice

Website Auditor is coming out with what looks like a promising update by the end of the month.

It's no Cora SEO, but it looks useful for people who can't afford the monthly fees of Surfer or Page Optimizer Pro.

Degree
2. Does anyone have any recommendation on easy video content creation? I feel like short-form and long-form video is the future of winning in SEO.
InVideo is pretty painless (apart from the fact you can only access the tool with Chrome) with helpful staff. They had/have an Appsumo deal as well as the website pricing, plus you can chat to them about custom deals if you have special video needs.

Degree
How valuable are aged domains with only a few to none backlinks?

I have my eye on one that was first registered back in 2005, way back machine checks all out (nothing suss), has been parked for the last 7 years or so, but has no backlinks at all. I'm about 90% happy with the name itself (not perfect but could work with it) so if it is beneficial I'll bite the bullet.

Degree
How valuable are aged domains with only a few to none backlinks?

I have my eye on one that was first registered back in 2005, way back machine checks all out (nothing suss), has been parked for the last 7 years or so, but has no backlinks at all. I'm about 90% happy with the name itself (not perfect but could work with it) so if it is beneficial I'll bite the bullet.
SEO wise? Nothing. Age of the domain, as in when it was first registered, is not a SEO factor and whoever claims otherwise, should consider pursuing a different career. :smile:

The only value the domain might possibly have is the brandable name.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
@Postmortis, there's sometimes something positive to be said if the domain had some kind of actual site on it and that was indexed the entire time. If there's any "age metric" then I'm sure it's more about time in the index than simply time being registered. A domain with nothing indexed essentially doesn't exist in terms of SEO. And no matter how long it's existed, it has to start it's SEO life as a baby.

Jared

Breaking the Shackles of a Lifetime of Bummery
Degree
Website Auditor is coming out with what looks like a promising update by the end of the month.

It's no Cora SEO, but it looks useful for people who can't afford the monthly fees of Surfer or Page Optimizer Pro.
This finally released today. So far it looks decent. I'm sure it'll improve in the coming weeks and months.

For those wanting to give it a look . . .

https://www.seopowersuite.com/tg-special.html#step-1-1

Last edited by a moderator:
Degree
After the last google update one of my sites get hit. What is more interesting that the major hit get only two pages which have the most backlinks (probably poor and toxic - i bought majority of them here) but dont know and dont want to point a finger at someone. These two pages are main and only money makers for me and need to move on and solve the situation somehow. What are my options?

1. If I delete those two pages from the site which get hit and write two new totally different articles targeting the same keywords it should work? I read numerous times that google will probably not rank that specific domain for those terms again even with new article on new page, it is worth even trying?

2. Try disavow file and wait? To be honest I went from like TOP 10 to N/A for all keywords.

Any other tip? Thank you very much

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
I read numerous times that google will probably not rank that specific domain for those terms again even with new article on new page, it is worth even trying?
This is false. I've had domains and pages penalized and recovered in full. The exact same pages can rank again. But if you do new pages they have to re-age and you may not rank for many months, if not a year.

2. Try disavow file and wait? To be honest I went from like TOP 10 to N/A for all keywords.
This is the move. This will turn the links "nofollow" in the eyes of Google and become discounted in their ability to give you a penalty.