Google Algorithm Updates - 2020 Ongoing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minor movements upwards for me on one site, but overall very quiet.

have one big affiliate site down about 30% right now unfortunately

Seems to be some major changes in the last 24 hours. Some sites jumping off a cliff, but no consistency in them at all. SERPWoo's picking it up.

I've checked a dozen or so keywords in Ahrefs that have dropped from top 3 to oblivion in my rank tracker. About 50% show them in the same position today. So maybe they're bouncing back as things settle in.

Seems to be some major changes in the last 24 hours. Some sites jumping off a cliff, but no consistency in them at all. SERPWoo's picking it up.

I've checked a dozen or so keywords in Ahrefs that have dropped from top 3 to oblivion in my rank tracker. About 50% show them in the same position today. So maybe they're bouncing back as things settle in.

Indexing issue going on - https://www.seroundtable.com/google-ranking-index-drop-30192.html

Is this the second time that an update goes along with indexing issues?

Update going on?

Seeing some drops.

Started a few days ago.

I had a post do the "full takeover" I always talk about and literally double the traffic to this site. Jumped from about 7k users a day to 14k users daily and doubled revenue. I knew it wouldn't last for long and this is about day three and it's dropped off to about 10k users yesterday.

Here's the traffic to that post this week:

aGTOFoE.png

That's part of my series of posts I talked about in this thread and others that are all of the same style that I identified that Google loves. I'm rolling out a ton and getting a link each and then I'll circle back around for more link building across them all.

Anyways, the point was, yeah, there was an update for sure, and it's starting to settle. I'd expect some corrections as usual if they haven't already started.

Google removed the manual "Request Indexing" button from GSC last week. They say its temporary though.

I kinda miss it. It was satisfying to request indexing on a new page and see it ranking on the first page within 3 minutes of going live!! Little pleasures of life... :smile:

BTW, US and 11 states sued Google yesterday lol. But that's probably not a topic for this thread.

Noticed some big swings in traffic across all of my sites in last 3-4 days. Anyone else?
Yeah there seemed to be a minor update. I'm up on some projects and down on others. In terms of percentages it's less than 10%, but noticeable.

Yeah there seemed to be a minor update. I'm up on some projects and down on others. In terms of percentages it's less than 10%, but noticeable.
I'm seeing very drastic changes in the SERPs, and traffic is already reflecting it.

Terms previously sitting on pages 4-7 are now top of page 2 and climbing daily - others that were page 1 are moving up 3-4 spots, respectively. Traffic is up well over half week-over-week, and it's virtually every page.

Interestingly, though, I've lost several featured snippets. It may still be too early to tell, but about 20-30% are lost.

Covid lockdowns?
Not only about lockdown. SERP changes as well. Still fluctuating but it has stabilised. Pages with more links ranking better. Mostly domain authority weightage as ranking has reduced a bit.

Google removed the manual "Request Indexing" button from GSC last week. They say its temporary though.

I kinda miss it. It was satisfying to request indexing on a new page and see it ranking on the first page within 3 minutes of going live!! Little pleasures of life... :smile:

BTW, US and 11 states sued Google yesterday lol. But that's probably not a topic for this thread.

Wasn't that patched a long time ago?

Looks like exact match anchors again started working well after 1.5-2 years. All of my pages/sites which were demoted (1-2 years back)again back to the top 3. Anyone else noticed the same?

Smart time to release an update, I cant tell if my traffic drop of 20% is due to the end of black Friday/Cyber Monday or the update...testings going to be a pain

Ah yes, the "increase your ad spend for Christmas"-update.
Yeah... that's my thought every year, and it's not unfounded either. Seems to play out that way usually.

Smart time to release an update, I cant tell if my traffic drop of 20% is due to the end of black Friday/Cyber Monday or the update...testings going to be a pain
When did you experience a traffic drop? Was it before today (assuming it really starts today and hasn't already been rolling out). My traffic across my sites didn't have any drastic drop after BF/CM. I'd expect it to have returned to normal by now if it did, but I'm guessing yours hasn't. When did your traffic drop?

I hate these updates not because of their impact, but because it's never an on-or-off switch. If you aren't immediately impacted, the update could still be rolling out. You might take a hit in the next 3 days. And then you know there's going to be a couple of post-update adjustments that could get you too. It's a solid week or two of uncertainty, that's what I don't like.

When did you experience a traffic drop? Was it before today (assuming it really starts today and hasn't already been rolling out). My traffic across my sites didn't have any drastic drop after BF/CM. I'd expect it to have returned to normal by now if it did, but I'm guessing yours hasn't. When did your traffic drop?

I expected a drop after cyber Monday. But the unexpected one was yesterday and today. Went on a few groups and saw the same thing people complaining about 15-20% drops. I am trying not to read into this too much since its the first day but this was consistent on 5/7 authority sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back