Just Sold My Portfolio for 7 Figures USD, AMA.

stackcash

I Sell Words
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Just reading this thread now. Good stuff.

Didn't see anything about capital gains earned as result of the sale. What profit % did you pocket?

Does that % change if you apply an operators salary to your wage expenses?

Also, good on you for starting over from scratch. It looks like you're about 1/2 through your 24-month goal at this point. What's the current MRR / ARR looking like for the new portfolio?

Degree
3. I look at my top 3 competitors and reach out to them and offer to buy their website or compete with them directly. Most don't reply or just reply saying no. I then use SEMRush to download all the pages of the website and replicate each only making it better and adding value.
When selecting competitors to target, are you going after smaller / lower authority sites or larger high DR ones? In other words, is it better to go after a site that’s easier to beat but has less to “take” versus going after the big guys.

Degree
When selecting competitors to target, are you going after smaller / lower authority sites or larger high DR ones? In other words, is it better to go after a site that’s easier to beat but has less to “take” versus going after the big guys.
Sometimes - tbh I just want as big a spreadsheet of content topics as possible. Whilst I may not rank for every thing I target chances are I will pick up enough longtails to make it worthwhile.

Just reading this thread now. Good stuff.

Didn't see anything about capital gains earned as result of the sale. What profit % did you pocket?

Does that % change if you apply an operators salary to your wage expenses?

Also, good on you for starting over from scratch. It looks like you're about 1/2 through your 24-month goal at this point. What's the current MRR / ARR looking like for the new portfolio?

% calculations over a 7 year period and factoring in salary equations is a paper chase.

Money in, money out keeps it simple.

Current portfolio is storming. Slightly ahead of target in terms of monthly revenue needed to list for sale. 16 months should be achievable.

stackcash

I Sell Words
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
% calculations over a 7 year period and factoring in salary equations is a paper chase.

Money in, money out keeps it simple.

Current portfolio is storming. Slightly ahead of target in terms of monthly revenue needed to list for sale. 16 months should be achievable.
I mean... that keeps it simple from an accounting / bookkeeping perspective. But, I'd want to know if I actually made a profit, or if the lump sum I made was simply because I traded away my time for free.

Depending on the profit level, opportunity cost comes into play - in a major way. But, if all you wanted was a lump sum, I guess that doesn't matter.

Good to hear the new sites are working out. Hopefully you're seeing a profit there.

Degree
I mean... that keeps it simple from an accounting / bookkeeping perspective. But, I'd want to know if I actually made a profit, or if the lump sum I made was simply because I traded away my time for free.

Depending on the profit level, opportunity cost comes into play - in a major way. But, if all you wanted was a lump sum, I guess that doesn't matter.

Good to hear the new sites are working out. Hopefully you're seeing a profit there.
Well to answer your question directly my business (which is purely the numbers for the sites) runs at 90% operating profit so yes I believe it has been very profitable no matter what way you cut the cake :wink: