STDDIOT - Stuff That Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

Sometimes I come to this forum and read shit that's so comically funny... But it's so comically funny that I can't laugh. I just shake my head and get back to work. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

72hFAnU.gif

"If you're a pretender you will suffer." - Dan Peña

Thank the gods for village idiots.

This forum needs more work logs and follow-along threads, and less philosophy and big questions.

A real reality check went out today, I hope it actually gets deposited. It won't though.

If you now visit https://thewirecutter.com/ you get 301 redirected to their new destination as a subfolder of the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/

It'll be fun to see how this plays out and if they benefit from an increase in domain authority.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-11-at-9.29.20-PM.png

:D:D:D

Just got a 27 inch monitor to go with my Macbook, any suggestions on how to use that screen space for productivity?

Yeah, I recommend divvy for managing the windows. Some people like Magnet, but I don't.

My setup is slightly different, but maybe it can be some inspiration?

* Left monitor, Dell 24", vertical: half is Toggl for time tracking and log, the top half is Joplin for notes in Markdown

* Center, iMac 27": Whatever I work on. Usually VScode or browser.

* Right monitor, Dell 24", horizontal: I use it for terminal and Slack (1/3 and 2/3 of screen). I sometimes also use this as a secondary work monitor, i.e. when doing accounting, or previewing a website I'm working on.

I used to have both side monitors vertical, but I prefer just one vertical.

I also have a 34" widescreen curved monitor that I use for my laptop and for video editing. My wife usually use it now that she works from home, and typically just has it as 2 virtual screens.

I feel dumb for having to ask this but I'm having trouble logging into one of my youtube accounts! Well actually I can login but can't find my channel there! The channel is live but I haven't used it for a while. Having multiple businesses and accounts is proving a nightmare. It will let me create a brand channel for it but it already has one! WTF? Can't find an email for direct youtube help, just a forum where nobody replies. Any idea folks!

I feel dumb for having to ask this but I'm having trouble logging into one of my youtube accounts! Well actually I can login but can't find my channel there! The channel is live but I haven't used it for a while. Having multiple businesses and accounts is proving a nightmare. It will let me create a brand channel for it but it already has one! WTF? Can't find an email for direct youtube help, just a forum where nobody replies. Any idea folks!

Are you using Chrome? YouTube and Google are linked so if you are logged into a different Google account in Chrome it will log you into that account on YouTube.

On Chrome you can set up different profiles for different accounts/businesses. So if I'm working on one business and have to quickly do something on another one, I'll just go onto the Chrome profile for that business. It saves all of the logging in/out and everything to do with each business is on a separate profile. I created a profile specifically for keyword research that has all the extensions, as they would be annoying when I'm just browsing generally.

I've been on safari which also lets you have different profiles on one account, but I can't find my business on there. I've logged in with all other accounts but it's not on any of them either. The weird thing is, the one account shows I have my business as a brand, under the channels page, but only gives me the option to create a new channel for it. I did follow this but it created a brand new one, separate from the live one. Deleted that one asap. Weird!

So I must be in the right account at least. Just can't figure out how to get into the current channel.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I recommend divvy for managing the windows. Some people like Magnet, but I don't.

My setup is slightly different, but maybe it can be some inspiration?

* Left monitor, Dell 24", vertical: half is Toggl for time tracking and log, the top half is Joplin for notes in Markdown

* Center, iMac 27": Whatever I work on. Usually VScode or browser.

* Right monitor, Dell 24", horizontal: I use it for terminal and Slack (1/3 and 2/3 of screen). I sometimes also use this as a secondary work monitor, i.e. when doing accounting, or previewing a website I'm working on.

I used to have both side monitors vertical, but I prefer just one vertical.

I also have a 34" widescreen curved monitor that I use for my laptop and for video editing. My wife usually use it now that she works from home, and typically just has it as 2 virtual screens.

Thanks, I'm going to try some of this.

So far, I just split my screen into two visible browser windows, then one updating with data in the corner and of course FTP, GIMP, files etc under them.

Just this makes me much more productive.

I would say a 27% screen has increased my max worktime already with 1-2 hours a day. I didn't realise how tiring it is to work at a laptop.

Just got a 27 inch monitor to go with my Macbook, any suggestions on how to use that screen space for productivity?
I find it best to place it "higher" than my other screen, rather than left and right. That way it's more natural to use one screen for reference/research/music/... and one pure for productivity. (So my 2 screen are vertical).
Only if I had a 3rd screen I would put one on the side. And that one would be for the "extra" stuff. Music, chat, maybe the to-do list. The fact that I put one screen higher also did a lot of good ergonomicly for me. My neck is a lot less static switching between screens.
Mileage may vary :smile:

I find it best to place it "higher" than my other screen, rather than left and right.

Yes! I do this. Everyone at work laughs at me. I definitely like the 27” screen above the laptop screen. Thought I was the only one.

You dont realize how much faster you are tthan people until you play 5 minute or less chess. Wow.

I would buy a BuSo cap, t-shirt or pen.

Really need to add some apparel and misc product line.

I'd buy some t-shirts I think. Pen or cap not so much. A mug maybe, for in the office.
To me BuSo is a way to get in "the zone", "get shit done". "Stop overthinking and DO"

Some physical objects might be a good idea, because it's easy for me to get distracted here.

Too much useful information. Too many ideas (please don't remove them, I just mean it's easy to start making endless lists of ideas and end up doing nothing).

And some... OK, I'll say it. I enjoy some pointless discussion as well :smile:

Just want to say thanks to everyone here.

I've had a big change in life thanks to many of your here and just want to let you guys know, the money ou spend with me hasn't been all about 'lampin and relaxing"

I mean.. i lost everything last time I got too far into helping people, so I exercise more control now but I still can't help but want to help people in need. That's because I wasn't born with a silverspoon.

So anyhow, yesterday i spent about $180 and got to feed about 35 youth & 10 adults, who pretty much try to escape hunger by socializing in the community and walk around.... But the reality, most people are not working where I'm at. It's a tourism based community, and everyone's broke because of the pandemic and curfew lockdown/businesses closed for the last 3 months or so (i forget how long no).

The government's failed miserably. It seems they took the money for themselves but it's a well known thing, how dirty they get with the money here. Yet, they still have not stopped. The people are too passive. Doubt it changes, but a few good people appreciate th 'kind hearts,' like myself.

So yeah , I bought a grill (a guy saw me trying to buy one in a store and offered me his for less, and it was bigger/better) & some charcoal..... about 100 hot dogs and buns, 25 chicken legs, 2 bags of chips, condiments, soda..... A store owner donated 2 sodas and gloves (Covid-19 cautiousness) .

Had a cookout in a street side restaurant one of the kid's uncle is in charge of with a foreigner.... And I just cooked and gave plates to whoever wanted them. Needless to say it all ran out. One of the young guys helping, was so focused on helping, he missed eating .. so I bought a litle more to have a private cookout now for those involved.

Next time, I want to try to use about $250-$300 on food. .

So to all my clients from here to do business with me. Just wanted to say thanks and let you know, the good energy's spreading.

Last edited:
You dont realize how much faster you are tthan people until you play 5 minute or less chess. Wow.

Desktop players with pre-moves are lethal. 1 minute bullet games on the chess.com app gave me thumb tendonitis

Desktop players with pre-moves are lethal. 1 minute bullet games on the chess.com app gave me thumb tendonitis

Lol Then you come with the highest score I've seen on the website. I'm awaiting the rematch .

I'd buy some t-shirts I think. Pen or cap not so much. A mug maybe, for in the office.
To me BuSo is a way to get in "the zone", "get shit done". "Stop overthinking and DO"

Some physical objects might be a good idea, because it's easy for me to get distracted here.

Too much useful information. Too many ideas (please don't remove them, I just mean it's easy to start making endless lists of ideas and end up doing nothing).

And some... OK, I'll say it. I enjoy some pointless discussion as well :smile:
A mug would be good. Although I'd prefer a large water bottle that's easy to grip and comfortable to sip on, hah. I drink lots of water throughout the day and keep a water bottle at my desk all day. In fact, right now I have 4 right next to me (varying shapes/size) 2 of them already empty. Be great to have just one huge BuSo water bottle hah. Maybe even buy 2, one for work and one to take to the gym.

Just want to say thanks to everyone here.

I've had a big change in life thanks to many of your here and just want to let you guys know, the money ou spend with me hasn't been all about 'lampin and relaxing"

I mean.. i lost everything last time I got too far into helping people, so I exercise more control now but I still can't help but want to help people in need. That's because I wasn't born with a silverspoon.

So anyhow, yesterday i spent about $180 and got to feed about 35 youth & 10 adults, who pretty much try to escape hunger by socializing in the community and walk around.... But the reality, most people are not working where I'm at. It's a tourism based community, and everyone's broke because of the pandemic and curfew lockdown/businesses closed for the last 3 months or so (i forget how long no).

The government's failed miserably. It seems they took the money for themselves but it's a well known thing, how dirty they get with the money here. Yet, they still have not stopped. The people are too passive. Doubt it changes, but a few good people appreciate th 'kind hearts,' like myself.

So yeah , I bought a grill (a guy saw me trying to buy one in a store and offered me his for less, and it was bigger/better) & some charcoal..... about 100 hot dogs and buns, 25 chicken legs, 2 bags of chips, condiments, soda..... A store owner donated 2 sodas and gloves (Covid-19 cautiousness) .

Had a cookout in a street side restaurant one of the kid's uncle is in charge of with a foreigner.... And I just cooked and gave plates to whoever wanted them. Needless to say it all ran out. One of the young guys helping, was so focused on helping, he missed eating .. so I bought a litle more to have a private cookout now for those involved.

Next time, I want to try to use about $250-$300 on food. .

So to all my clients from here to do business with me. Just wanted to say thanks and let you know, the good energy's spreading.
That's awesome. Wish I could "like" your post. Good stuff, man.

Got my first nature audio recordings done. Trying to have a lot more before i complete it all.

Question, Anybody here doing twitch?

Back