STDDIOT - Stuff That Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

You guys don't think the kids are smarter now than before?
They are dumb in ways that would hurt their chances of success and even survival in previous times drastically.

They're smart in ways that the generations before them aren't, that don't necessarily help them thrive in the present or past.

Fortunately for them, the future world will be molded around their needs instead of them needing to conform to it.

Because what happens when a half your nations kids can't spell most words because they grew with auto-correct doing it for them? That continues to be the norm. What happens when they don't know how to use file structures and mouse and keyboard interfaces any more because everything was touch screens and apps? It'll continue being touch screens and apps. What happens when they can't touch type because all they've known is texting with their thumbs? Everyone uses voice control and thumb texting.

That's because the world either eventually conforms to them as they "become" the world as adults, or the world falls apart. Same thing we laughed about when generations after us couldn't read, let alone write, in cursive. Now nobody does and it doesn't matter. That's what will happen in the future. EVERYTHING will conform around their needs and their lack of skills because there's no choice. Whether that's good or bad is yet to be seen, but you could argue for a few generations now that as soon as the power goes out permanently most everyone is screwed. Even more so for these zoomers. They're less of a waste than the millennials were, at least, all up in their fee fees 24/7.

Yeah younger millennials haha. The perpetually offended generation.

In any case, the zoomers are very socially intelligent in my experience, they've grown up with a lot of focus on empathy and group dynamics.

Of course some would argue that might make it difficult to be the next Elon Musk or Steve Jobs when you don't have that disregard for everything and everyone but the vision.

Yeah younger millennials haha. The perpetually offended generation.
Someone close to me works at a local bank. One of their systems requires all caps, and one of the bosses had his caps lock on accordingly. When this boss switched over to their internal messaging system to tell a young millennial coworker something, he forgot to turn the caps lock off.

This coworker was so upset that his boss was "yelling" at him that he took the rest of the day off "for his mental health" and got HR involved.

It would appear that the competency crisis, as I've seen it called, has two main front: skills and mentality.

Someone close to me works at a local bank. One of their systems requires all caps, and one of the bosses had his caps lock on accordingly. When this boss switched over to their internal messaging system to tell a young millennial coworker something, he forgot to turn the caps lock off.

This coworker was so upset that his boss was "yelling" at him that he took the rest of the day off "for his mental health" and got HR involved.

It would appear that the competency crisis, as I've seen it called, has two main front: skills and mentality.

I'm an older millennial so I feel safe attacking younger millennials, yet I recognise my mental and emotional fortitude is more millennial than Gen X haha.

I'm definitely a Gen X culturally and I find that really interesting the faultlines between Gen X and Millennials. Did you experience arcades or were you always sat before the TV when wanting to play games. Karate kid or UFC. Friends or Seinfeld. Sopranos or Game of Thrones. Grunge or emo. Lots of such cases.

Someone will have to write that book for us narcissistic millennials to divide ourselves into smaller boxes.

I will say, there are good and bad, personally if you want to make it as an entrepreneur, I don't think the millennial mindset is good. On the other hand it seems as if the millennial mindset might work very well for getting promoted in companies like Google.

I'm an older millennial so I feel safe attacking younger millennials, yet I recognise my mental and emotional fortitude is more millennial than Gen X haha.

I'm definitely a Gen X culturally and I find that really interesting the faultlines between Gen X and Millennials. Did you experience arcades or were you always sat before the TV when wanting to play games. Karate kid or UFC. Friends or Seinfeld. Sopranos or Game of Thrones. Grunge or emo. Lots of such cases.

Someone will have to write that book for us narcissistic millennials to divide ourselves into smaller boxes.

I will say, there are good and bad, personally if you want to make it as an entrepreneur, I don't think the millennial mindset is good. On the other hand it seems as if the millennial mindset might work very well for getting promoted in companies like Google.
I'm a younger millennial. A lot of people my age center their lives around how virtuous or cool they look on social media. There is a lot of "poor me" instead of the required focus and grind to get out of the shitty situation of being broke.

Complaining about being broke while simultaneously blowing their money on restaurants and bars and cocaine. Showing off about helping others (or being hot) on Instagram while cheating on their significant other.

However, I also have a lot of friends with kushy tech or finance jobs who have nice houses and wives and kids and stuff. Not many who are entrepreneurs, only a few weirdos like me.

That said, the way that America is set up right now is not beneficial for anybody who is trying to not be poor. And it does seem a bit rigged that way, considering how hard it can be to make a buck or save any money at all when groceries, rent, etc are so expensive.

Personally I don't think America is set up for a successful future. I believe some big changes must be made to the way things are done, and I don't see that happening anytime soon. The government and big corporations have gutted this country and lots of people have their heads wayyyy up their asses or in the sand.

So I'm trying to make myself rich, find a good woman, and build a fortress for my family where I can get old and be happy.

That said, the way that America is set up right now is not beneficial for anybody who is trying to not be poor. And it does seem a bit rigged that way, considering how hard it can be to make a buck or save any money at all when groceries, rent, etc are so expensive.

Yeah, I don't disagree at all, the younger millennials got screwed. Most guys my age seems to have done ok with house, car and wife (in that order eh).

Rent and real estate exploded some years later and I can't see how anyone around 30 can buy a home now in the entire West unless they have two very well paying jobs. It's changed enormously just during the last 5 years.

Something has to give. I see that Trump is now ahead in the 18-35 demographic which is really a watershed moment. I'm not sure if Trump can do a whole lot, because most of these things have to do with monetary policy and immigration, both things that take a long time to change.

I do think there's been an awakening of sorts among younger people, that things simply can't continue as they has, because people are getting screwed.

Something has to give. I see that Trump is now ahead in the 18-35 demographic which is really a watershed moment. I'm not sure if Trump can do a whole lot, because most of these things have to do with monetary policy and immigration, both things that take a long time to change.

I do think there's been an awakening of sorts among younger people, that things simply can't continue as they has, because people are getting screwed.
It is interesting to see how much less people hate Trump this time around than they did the last two times.

That said, I think him and Biden are both shitty choices and I don't think the average American really has a say in this at all.

I'm not planning to vote this year. It's like that South Park Episode, choosing between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.

Why can't we have a candidate that actually inspires and unites people from a leadership position? Is this just me still having some of that youthful naivity to think that's even possible? Or is America just so fucked that we can't imagine that scenario because we're too far gone?

Well, as much as anyone might hate Trump, they'd have to be living under a rock to not see how the Biden admin have completely ruined everything.

Covid lockdowns and the vaxx, inflation, multiple huge wars, immigration out of control etc. Literally nothing works, literally everything in the real world is worse.

You'd have to be some really privileged coastal type to not have seen your life deteriorate massively.

If someone doesn't want to choose between Biden or Trump, they don't really have a say anyway
The problem with this line of thinking is, it looks like you think if someone did choose between Biden or Trump ( they wanted one of them ), they have say anyway too.

But they don't

But they don't
I wonder what would happen in this scenario: The overwhelming majority of the population votes for a 3rd party candidate, and they "Win."

Would that candidate then become president, or would we then find out that we're not actually living in a Democracy?

Hoping to sell my first dream house in October. $3-4 million? A ~$1-2 million profit.

Never thought I would, but I just love to build and want to push the boundaries of architecture. Building an entire side-business out of it.

Going to build a better, partially underground, all-concrete/steel/timber zero energy mountain home with a bunker. This will be my final build. One story so I can age in place, multi-generational so my kids don't have to pay someone else rent and I don't have to live in a nursing home at 80 LOL. Staying in the beautiful mountains.. If you've ever built a home it destroys you, but when you do almost ALL the trades yourself. Holy shit. Always tired from this last one. This new build will have insane architectural finishes, think $50-100M home finishes.

Learned A LOT from this first one. Figured out how to build 1000x better, while reducing costs 1000%. Just by building into the hillside, we're cutting off the entire costs of virtually 1/2 the house in siding, windows, insulation, paint, housewrap, etc. labor and materials in one shot. (Waterproofing/drainage does add costs, but you have to do it on a slab/stem wall anyways). I'll be the GC/architect again on this build.

Speaking of multi-generational living, Tate brothers get it. You have multiple generations living in the same land/lot and house or houses. ONE mortgage (or none). Everyone is driving sports cars, traveling wherever, working on THEIR dream business/ideas. Amazing how families split up and you've got 4-5 different mortgages and homes filled with 4-5x TIMES the tools, furniture, etc. etc. Meanwhile the entire family bond is being broken due to programming.

"Bill [Gates] comes out with a company wide memo stating `we're going to be nice people from now on, we're not going to disparage our competition or anything`." - Dave Cutler​

That while his team was sending coffins to the competition.

AI is really only good for rewriting data, or generating lists. It's so terrible at compiling provided data and putting it into a written copy. Esp, when you try to get AI to talk more about that data. It just jumps off the rails.

AI is really only good for rewriting data, or generating lists. It's so terrible at compiling provided data and putting it into a written copy. Esp, when you try to get AI to talk more about that data. It just jumps off the rails.

Agree.

It's very good at certain standardized types of text and also tropes in fiction and writing etc. It is almost useless at making real intelligent conclusions.

generating lists
That is exactly how I'm leveraging it right now.

Terrible at writing "can dogs eat almonds" but fantastic at "101 best names for german shepherds." Low-stakes content.

1. Rex
2. Sparky
3. Adolph
4. Hund

Dumb, simple, shareable, indexable.

Noticed Liquidweb support becoming more and more overseas-like. Finally got to a point where I'd have to disconnect with agents and find other ones because it was so bad. This week, the server has been insanely slow. First time I've really been working on it in a while. Liquidweb has been ROCK SOLID over the years... Until now.

A little homework and Liquidweb got bought by a "private equity" firm in 2023. Same route MediaTemple and the likes have gone over the years, which turned them to trash. These private equity folks just completely kill any form of heroic service/sales.

I swear all these companies that boomers touch, they destroy. I'm not just talking about PE, it's literally any business run by boomers. I have literally seen it all. Even in small/big manufacturing companies, if there's a boomer in the leadership team, you can bet there's a LONG line of pissed off customers and absolute shit products.

Amazing how many people think the world has near ended at one point, or is about to end. Post Malone has talked about this for ages.

Joe Rogan/Katt Williams:

We are at a point where one serious event, would disrupt everything and destroy most of society. We rely on others for EVERYTHING. Even an electric grid collapse, and 95% of people are absolutely screwed. Virtually no one grows their own food/ranches. Imagine no food transport services.. Everyone is way too reliant on a third party for everything these days. Ignorance everywhere. I mean living in a world without modern amenities would suck, I can see why 99% of the population would just give in and give up.

N1tR7QB.jpeg

THEY sent their guys to talk to me about the Negative SEO topics. One of them, I guess the handler assigned to me, said "Don't give monkeys hand grenades."

"I'm not, I'm giving them nukes."

What are you guys doing in your free time that makes all of this worth it? Or how do you personally justify it.

Women, houses, vehicles, toys, vacations... All get boring after awhile.

Next generation (kids) is a good motivator but is there something else?

What are you guys doing in your free time that makes all of this worth it? Or how do you personally justify it.

Women, houses, vehicles, toys, vacations... All get boring after awhile.

Next generation (kids) is a good motivator but is there something else?
I'm spending my days doing things I just want to do: hitting the gym, making music, reading books, watching a movie, lying around with the GF, painting, cooking new things, experimenting with other ways of making money (dividend investing, other MMO activities), etc.

Being able to simply exist makes me happy.

Oh, it's 2 o'clock on a Wednesday, and my friend is in town for a few hours. Hell, yeah, I've got time to see you. "Hey, want to go to San Diego in a few weeks for a family get-together?" Yup, don't have to submit any request for bullshit.

And someday, I'll be an awesome stay-at-home dad.

Back