STDDIOT - Stuff That Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

CEOSAM... that brings back memories.

It all started with a kid that sold ice to eskimos... I mean, you just had to be there.

TsSJl4l.gif

Honestly the Chat GPT saga is wild.

OpenAI Fires Sam Altman.

Microsoft Hires Sam Altman, tells OpenAI board to resign.

So now Microsoft is about to straight up own Chat GPT?

My guess is that the price goes up and they begin locking down "premium" features soon. And, possibly the AI becomes much more powerful much more quickly.

$20 per month has been a gift.

Haven't posted in awhile, but I'm back. 18 hour work days on the computer will be come the norm once again. House is nearly finished and I've gotta pay for that 5 story tall bunker with 12' thick walls somehow. LOL. It's happening..

I took a break to go work in the real world, leading a $50M manufacturer's marketing; wanted the industry connections and insider look at the product manf for content generation. Lasted 12 months, and I'm out. Holy sh-t that was painful - never again. Worth it for getting what I needed (The $ was a bonus, but meant nothing in the grand scheme of things). Being around these people who do 9-5 happily is absolutely mind-numbing. I don't get it. Worthless, but I understand; laziness is a DIRECT result of the "leaders" failing to lead, reward, etc.

Amazed at how there are virtually ALL incompetent people at the top of these large companies; specifically boomers who have no idea what they are doing, admit this, but still think they are right on everything. So much laziness all around. So much desire for all-day meeting calendars. So much FEAR over EVERYTHING to the point where it halts growth. No accountability to be found. I knew this going into it, but I had to deal with it to get what I wanted. So many fake people who have "experience" or "job history", but are just full of sh-t.

I would rather die than to EVER work for someone else again. Time to get back to work on my own dreams. I can't believe I did that but it had to be done. REALLY looking forward to using the intel I got.

I swear these trades/service providers these days. HVAC for example. These are supposed to be professionals, with a high rating in metro area.

- Quoted $200.

- They show up to the job site without knowing what they are doing. Even though it's been emailed/clearly explained they are to do ONE thing which is fix this unit by recharging refrigerant and fixing leak.

- Next day, show up to job site without the proper information. Can't work on until because they don't know how much refrigerant to put in unit. I tell them the model # in person. They won't Google it, and go home?

- Next day, they come back to job site. Finally, the recharge the unit. It lost 1lb of refreidgenrt due to a leak. They don't have the right tools to fix it. So they charge it anyways.

- Next day, refrigerant leaks out. Unit won't work.

That will be $1,000 sir.

WTF..

Every single trade I work with, it's the same story. The exception is old guys who are masters/have their own business and are the ones DOING the work themselves.

Damn.

I swear these trades/service providers these days. HVAC for example. These are supposed to be professionals, with a high rating in metro area.

- Quoted $200.

- They show up to the job site without knowing what they are doing. Even though it's been emailed/clearly explained they are to do ONE thing which is fix this unit by recharging refrigerant and fixing leak.

- Next day, show up to job site without the proper information. Can't work on until because they don't know how much refrigerant to put in unit. I tell them the model # in person. They won't Google it, and go home?

- Next day, they come back to job site. Finally, the recharge the unit. It lost 1lb of refreidgenrt due to a leak. They don't have the right tools to fix it. So they charge it anyways.

- Next day, refrigerant leaks out. Unit won't work.

That will be $1,000 sir.

WTF..

Every single trade I work with, it's the same story. The exception is old guys who are masters/have their own business and are the ones DOING the work themselves.

Damn.
The bar really has never been lower for offline service-based businesses. The problem is hiring.

Any suggestions for a bluetooth speaker that has good sound?

I've used JBL Flip speakers a lot and been happy with them. They're like 80 bucks a pop.

The coolest bluetooth speaker I've seen is the JBL Extreme. Super loud, big, badass. But expensive, $200+.

I second @chubes comment. I've used both JBL Flips and JBL Charge. Another benefit of the JBL Bluetooth is you can pair them to one another if you want multiple speakers. I've done this in an outside space and it works well. Maybe all Bluetooth speakers do this. Not sure.

First baby son born last week!

Sn5ov8M.png

So tired. Building for next generation.

Anyone else have kids?

Awesome man! Would "Like" if I could. Don't have kids yet but planning to this coming year.

First baby son born last week!

Sn5ov8M.png

So tired. Building for next generation.

Anyone else have kids?
congrats man, thats awesome!

Congrats. Not long and they'll be 18!!! Trust me time goes so fast - but maybe not the first few months lol. Good luck!

Thanks all!

Man, OPEN AI has gone downhill. Won't follow prompts, won't listen to clear statements. They've dumbed it down so so much. Seems like all these AI companies get people interested and then slowly scale back the power.

Thanks all!

Man, OPEN AI has gone downhill. Won't follow prompts, won't listen to clear statements. They've dumbed it down so so much. Seems like all these AI companies get people interested and then slowly scale back the power.

Yes, ChatGPT has gone bad, but it seems to have become better in the last week or so, maybe since Gemini was launched.

My theory remains that Altmann is a charlatan, who is basically just adding new shiny features to keep the investment money coming in. As long as he can add some fancy feature, like Dalle integration, then normies will find it interesting enough to generate buzz.

As for actually developing the model, that's only gone downhill since March imo.

However, I did have ChatGPT do some translations yesterday which were quite good and with no fuss about length. There are still some ways to make it act better, but it shouldn't have to be like that.

My theory remains that Altmann is a charlatan, who is basically just adding new shiny features to keep the investment money coming in. As long as he can add some fancy feature, like Dalle integration, then normies will find it interesting enough to generate buzz.
I don't really want to get into it that much, but from everything I have seen, I agree with this.

Yes, ChatGPT has gone bad, but it seems to have become better in the last week or so, maybe since Gemini was launched.

Are you talking about the free version or the paid version?

Are you talking about the free version or the paid version?

Paid.

It seems much improved recently. Used it a lot these last days. Still has some max token issues, but we're back to being smart and able to do inference from vague and short prompts.

Fully agree with this. It almost reminds me of Coca-Cola launching the new Coke or Vanilla Coke. It really looks like "let's make something new just to grab more money".

They already have a great product, but there's potential for more $$$. So why not?

Still, I'll have to be honest about it - progress comes EXACTLY from this appetite for profits, as Adam Smith used to say.

Fully agree with this. It almost reminds me of Coca-Cola launching the new Coke or Vanilla Coke. It really looks like "let's make something new just to grab more money".

They already have a great product, but there's potential for more $$$. So why not?

Still, I'll have to be honest about it - progress comes EXACTLY from this appetite for profits, as Adam Smith used to say.

Sure, appetite for profit, and competition.

Linked in and other platforms arnt dead.
People are just more aware of how things work these day. They know damn well if they like or comment their whole networks gonna get it shoved into their feed. As a result they lurk and don't really engage.
That doesn't mean your messaging isn't hitting home. They're seeing it in the feed while they doom scroll. You just arn't going to get them to engage as easily on platform. Let alone click a link. The messaging is still getting there if you format it right. Make your posts into bullet points and image galleries and you can brain wash like a MOFO. Post volume is way down so getting your messages into the feeds is easy. The free clout building gurutarded winner method right now is formatting your content for consumption and interaction in the feed with out asking them to leave the scroll section. Just keep right on posting away. Its a bit awkward shouting into the wind, but you can pick up market share pretty easily atm as the ratio of posters to lurkers has never been better.

GOSU pro tip. Write your headline content in a way that lets your followers think they will look smart by sharing your content.

GOSU pro tip 2. Write your content in a way that gets your audience to go look up your brand name and a line item that has a valuable longtail keyword worked into it in smooth way.

Last edited:
LinkedIn seems to be highly active for me, I don't use it much, but it seems extremely active with people commenting, liking, sharing etc. Of course this is in the online marketing niche, so people want to be seen, but overall seems as a good place to market, but everyone is tired of people you don't know trying to connect. Having real life connections, or online relationships, should pay off on LinkedIn tho.

For marketing on Twitter, you have to be personal it seems. There are some notable accounts that do great, and imo, it's because they add their personality, so they attract non-niche virality too and they can leverage that into broader niches like "indie hacking" or "crypto bro" or "investment guru", because Twitter is big in all these.

Twitter is also a highly reactive community, so I would imagine quite easy to play people. Twitterers are emotional and like to rage, so that's a sure way to get attention, by basically being an old school trollface in your niche. Like that guy who set coffee twitter on fire by doing a video of him drinking cold Nescafe. Perfect marketing making all the coffee nerds rage, because that's how Twitter works.

Back