Spinning Articles in 2018

Degree
Hello guys,

I am looking for a way to create lots of content for an amazon review site. I have the product data broken down in an excel, where each column represents an attribute. (f.ex. name, feature1, etc.)

I would like to use on the one hand this data and an article spinner to create content pages.

1. Any recommendations for an article spinner in 2018?
  2. Whats your spinning process that you currently use?

Appreciate your replies!

I have not heard of anyone suggesting spinning in a long time. Maybe I am just too white hat?

I think you would be better off hiring writers.

I have not heard of anyone suggesting spinning in a long time. Maybe I am just too white hat?

I think you would be better off hiring writers.

True, but writers still just sometimes rewrite articles and given it the "human touch".

Software such as automatedinsights.com seems to generate articles that are unique and have the human touch. So it seems to be possible to generate articles based on a certain form of spinning.

I would be highly interested how and if its still possible to create articles programmatically?

I don't get it - at this late date. If you keep doing the same weak tactic what results do you expect to gain?

Wouldn't it make more sense to sit down and create a high quality article/page for each product. That way you set a higher standard for within your industry and naturally will get more attention from not only the search engines, but also people willing to link to a high quality website.

One of the easiest things to happen to this site is it gets flagged for spam spun content and then you are in an uphill battle, with Amazon or Google or anyone else along the pipe, when you could have started with high quality from the start.

Search engines and their tools have gotten ALOT more sophisticated since 2007. Ask yourself this - do your own research first: Do you see any spun content ranking within the top 20 or 30 or even 100 results for keywords with traffic?

No. Unless it's some obscure niche, just not worth starting off in mud.

Why not have an article up, and turn on a voice recorder (is Dragon Speak still a thing?), then just "summarize" each sentence very quickly?

You're now "writing" just as fast as you can read, comprehend, and rehash.

Edit, publish, repeat.

I haven’t heard of anyone using spun content on their money sites in a long time. Would you click an amazon link and buy a product if you were reading spun content? Instead, write something yourself or use a reputable writer to create a detailed product review. The money that it costs you, you’ll make back in the long run from amazon sales and you’ll make it back for years to come.

Now, if you’re thinking about using spun content on tier 2 or 3 links, spin rewriter and x-spinner do pretty well.

Spinning is outdated and Google will flag that stuff ASAP. I don’t even use spin articles on my PBNs or buffers

I still use hand "spun content" for local citations, but I put a lot of time into it and ensure everything comes out reading well. It definitely helps keep more of them indexed over time. Technically its spun but the result doesn't even remotely look like it. This might only help you if there are sections that will be reused over and over again to make it worth the time investment.

Everything is pretty much a re-girjitated form of a collective of information into a post, save some $$ using re written content for filler and focus your main money making content on unique compelling shit... Yes, I play the game, but still deliver. I'm not squeeky clean as an SEO, but I DO abide by the rules and feed "the machine"...

I test a lot of stuff.

Google isn’t as smart at handling content as some would suggest.

However they are very good at detecting spun content, just because the SEO community abused it for so long.

Sentence structure and grammatical errors Google are very good at detecting.

Keep spun content off your money site and don’t link build on sites with spun content neither.

I have never seen a spinner that made any sense at all, grammatically or financially.

It's better to hire some cheap writers than to use article spinners. At least writers will produce original content which can be improved later when you have earned some money.

Maybe you could try WordAI. It was the biggest POS back in the WF days... nothing like selling picks to miners that never want to do any work.

If I remember correctly (And I think I do, since there's an anonymous testimonial on their homepage highlighting this practice), it even came with a guide to teach writers how to rip-off clients by selling spun content and trying to pass it off as original.

That rubbed me the wrong way. If your whole business model is to pollute the internet - that's fine you can do what you want, but at least don't actively encourage freelancers to scam other webmasters so that you can sell a few extra memberships.

There are entire businesses that generate content from data that a lot of us probably read and don't even realize its spun from a template.

Is spinning going to help me build a better website? No.

But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

If I remember correctly (And I think I do, since there's an anonymous testimonial on their homepage highlighting this practice), it even came with a guide to teach writers how to rip-off clients by selling spun content and trying to pass it off as original.

That rubbed me the wrong way. If your whole business model is to pollute the internet - that's fine you can do what you want, but at least don't actively encourage freelancers to scam other webmasters so that you can sell a few extra memberships.

I remember that. And also remember the masses of spun crap that began to flow from "reputable" sources of buying filler content afterwards.

I have never seen a spinner that made any sense at all, grammatically or financially.
This is exactly what I was thinking when I read the post. Most spun content reads horrible, every now and then I see something on local city/state sites that doesn't make my eyes burn but not often enough.
I would work on building up readable pages that answer the question your niche is asking in Google.

Hello guys,

I am looking for a way to create lots of content for an amazon review site. I have the product data broken down in an excel, where each column represents an attribute. (f.ex. name, feature1, etc.)

I would like to use on the one hand this data and an article spinner to create content pages.

1. Any recommendations for an article spinner in 2018?
  2. Whats your spinning process that you currently use?

Appreciate your replies!

CaptainT,

For what you're suggest, I'd be 100% against putting spun content on a money site. MAYBE if you were selling different variations of the same core product (quantity, color, etc) but def not as part of your review.

As mentioned by a few others here, the technology of talk to text would cut down your work load by 80%. Find a positive review on someone else's site, put your own voice on it (literally). Take that article, throw it into a program like Content Samurai (VSL creator) and make it look like those "NowThis" style videos about the product.

Export a version for FB/Insta and a full screen version for YouTube. Use the Authority Sites mentioned on SerpWoo's blog to syndicate the videos thorough via RSS push with IFTTT. Manually post the ones that aren't automated.

You should now have a bunch of YouTube embeds, cross-linking high DA/PA pointing to your site, and some decent metrics at that post.

NOW you can spin and point those spun articles to the Authority Sites in any fashion you want, because those properties can take a hit and it won't count against you in any way.

I've posted about it before, but I prefer putting those types of spun articles in Google Drive in multiple formats, pointing back to a single Doc that has a naked URL of the page I'm trying to rank in it, effectively straight-line DA stacking to your money page. The content in there can be used a couple times if it's spun, but don't go overboard (like anything else in this day and age).

It's a bit removed by 1 or 2 steps, but it allows you to push DA and PA at the page, mitigate risk, and turn off that buffer doc or redirect it, should G not weigh it in your favor anymore.

Hopefully that helps answer your question, or at least understand where in the process that spun content can be used.

TL;DR: If you're gonna spin, point it at something that can take the heat. Risk vs. reward. Or, slap a couple spins together in a 5 tier G Doc fashion pointing to what amounts to a 301 redirect, and fire away.

I've had large scale sites in production with several million words of spun content. So, I can speak very comfortably on this subject.

Spun content is a race to the bottom. That's nothing to build a "business" around.

My recommendation would be to figure out what a particular article could be worth to you, and then invest in content production.

Say you achieve a #1 rank for your article's primary keywords. What kind of traffic do you think you might get? At x.x% CTR / conversion, what kind of margin do you think you can push through that 1 article?

For example:
  • 1,000vol keyword
  • #1 rank might equal 200-400 visits/month
  • Ad is ~$30 CPA
  • You estimate 5-10% conversion (10-40 conversions)
Congrats! That article is now generating you $300-1,200 per month. In a perfect world, if that maintained, that article would generate you $3,600-14,400 per year. The real numbers might be quite a bit different, since you're also going to pick up other ranks for related keywords.

Now, for a lot of people it's hard to think about investing in content. It's easy to miss the big picture. Think about this example above though. On the low side, if that article stood to make you $3.6k/yr, can you see how it might make sense to invest $100 in that article? What about $500? Let's say even $1,000.

For most people, the thought of spending one thousand dollars on a single article sounds downright crazy! For most businesses, though, even a 30% profit margin is well worth going after. So with the example above, even at $1k for the article, that might be a no-brainer.

Now imagine what you can do with that investment. What is your competition not doing? Maybe you could add video along with that article, to really spice it up. Regardless, the point is it's about investing in your content.

@turbin3 Great advice. Seeing each article as an asset, and investing in it with a clear vision of the potential ROI and lifetime value. Makes it much easier to take the leap.

Just spinning articles doesn't seem work anymore. I bought a smallish site with some material I know is spun, meant to go back in redo it correctly but haven't made it a priority because it (sadly) ranked for long-tail terms and was doing it's job of giving the main pages on the site some topical relevance. That died in these fall updates; those articles went from top 10 to not in top 100 for the terms in the past month. Probably better for the internet if I'm honest.

I'm still looking at ways to 80/20 though. Here's something I've been playing around "in my free time" for some of my longer-tail "answer factual questions" material- I'll say up front it's a lot of work, and it's not a way to save time in the way a spinner is used. I'm looking at it as more of a research project to build some skills and try to figure out how smart Google has gotten at handling language. It also gave me a reason to buy a 1080Ti graphics card :smile:

There's more to it than this, but here's the basics:

I've built a large corpus of scraped results for informational queries in a large niche - in other words, I've built a database of text from ranking pages for "what is","how do you", "why is" type questions for an area I'm interested in. I then change those articles into their parts of speech, and run create a neural net that can be used to predict parts of speech. I put that aside.

Next, I preprocess the actual text so it can be used in the same manner. I then whipped up something to use them together to spit out text. Sometimes it's complete garbage, but it's usually grammatically-passable garbage at least. Other times, it's a decent article that answers the question. No matter what, I put it up. No interlinking to other pages, just a lonely informational article of average length +/- some amount of words. I've just begun, and have put it up on a new domain but plan on slowly putting some articles on an established site with some authority to see if they are treated differently.

My thought process is, I'd like to see if any of these articles get some traction before putting much effort into them. If they do rank at all, I plan to go back and edit them.

If they do rank, it gives some insight into how Google looks at textual data now, and how it values links vs content vs some other factors. That is until it changes it mind and goes in a different direction.

ok, I have a serious question about this.

Lets forget spinning for ranking articles or money sites for the moment.

What is the best spinner/content generation tool on the market these days though?

Meaning if I had some text now and wanted to spin it, it would produce a pretty good readable result?

My thought process is, I'd like to see if any of these articles get some traction before putting much effort into them. If they do rank at all, I plan to go back and edit them.

I'm not interested in doing this myself but I am interested in the results. As you say, it's all about the insight. Please let us know how it goes. There's definitely no real way to isolate the variable of the content itself versus the pre-existing authority of an established domain. And if you're going after sufficiently weak keywords, then that kind of blurs things too, to a degree. Either way, you'll glean something out of it for sure, and hopefully some tidbit you can share with us white hats.

Meaning if I had some text now and wanted to spin it, it would produce a pretty good readable result?

I don't know, but I think you should clarify if you care whether or not it has a certain level of uniqueness. Every one I ever saw in the past that offered uniqueness meant it was gobbledygook. If you wanted high readability then they barely spin at all, touching a few verbs and adjectives, if even that. The difference being syntax spinning, which nobody seems to have nailed on the "off the shelf" market yet and single word spinning, you know.

Google isn’t as smart at handling content as some would suggest.

I disagree with that statement.

I have recently had a bunch of content written by above average content writers, I provided sources to essentially re-write uniquely as ‘fresh’ content. To be clear, this isn’t single page re writes, its multiple sources with introduction and summary content added that wasn’t referenced.

Within a week, good ole google locked my Adsense as some content (the new stuff) was ‘scrapped and or copied’

To clarify, this content wasn’t or isn’t cheap spun with shitty synonyms, 100% copyscape passed, run through grammerly until it’s 100% clean in terms of grammar and spelling. Studies refenced, formatted differently yada yada yada.

Now, I can’t be sure what or where the wire was tripped, but it was, they knew it was rewrites, maybe they just think so and want to see how we deal with it? Maybe it is something I’ve missed, and there is some content laying about that looks 100% scrapped or ‘curated’. One thing I’m sure of tho’. I don’t publish scrapped or spun content and never have on this site.

Granted it is YMYL health with high competition, maybe that makes some difference to how content is handled.

Maybe I am wrong, but I’d errk on the side of caution and never under estimate how smart or dumb big G is.

Back