Newbie Question(s) so dumb, you're afraid to even ask!

I know I read about this somewhere but my retarded mind dont remember so I need enlightment again.

Lets say I find a good keyword like "can you fish with fishrod" and it have decent search volume but it says 2 people have that in their H1 so I feel like I cant compete with that.

But then I spot "can you fish with a fishing rod" and noone have that in their h1.

Do google value those 2 keywords different or is it the same?

Because I meet quite a few of these variations when I search and its starting to confuse me again.
Are the posts with the keyword in their H2 on authoritative websites and do they answer the query effectively? Also, are there links pointed to the page(s)? Sometimes, it doesn't matter if the keyword isn't in the title tag or H1. If the query is answered effectively and there is authority and links involved, it's probably not worth going after on a new website.

I run a tech-related blog. If I were to cover news articles in my niche, would it be better to add it as a separate category called "news" or is it better to post it under the category the news pertains to? With the first option, I can group all the news articles into one category. They're also much shorter (~500-700 words) than my usual articles.

People who have done this, do you worry about dilution of link authority due to lots of short news articles?

I run a tech-related blog. If I were to cover news articles in my niche, would it be better to add it as a separate category called "news" or is it better to post it under the category the news pertains to? With the first option, I can group all the news articles into one category. They're also much shorter (~500-700 words) than my usual articles.
I would put them in a /news/ category and separate it from evergreen content. This is useful to you, your site, to users, and to Google. Google seeks to understand what each sub-folder of a site is about and ranks them appropriately. You even have a chance of appearing in Google News with a separate category. And if you ever want to remove the news section, you'll have a much easier time of it this way. I see zero benefit in scattering them about the site, honestly.

People who have done this, do you worry about dilution of link authority due to lots of short news articles?
Sure, but you gain opportunities to interlink and push relevancy, gain traffic and links, etc. The benefit, if done right and diligently, outweighs the cost. News gets a lot of links, and if you can "break" it early enough, you can get reference links from bigger sites, too.

When you want to stay anonymous, how do you deal with emails such as ‘who is running this website’ and ‘how do you make money’?

What's the best way to spy on/research Reddit ad campaigns? I know it's quite niche but is there any tools out there that can help?

What's the best platform to use (with SEO in mind) for articles/content with different categories?

When you want to stay anonymous, how do you deal with emails such as ‘who is running this website’ and ‘how do you make money’?
If you want to stay anonymous, you simply ignore those emails. Is there some reason you feel like you need to respond to them?

What's the best platform to use (with SEO in mind) for articles/content with different categories?
I'm assuming you're asking about a Content Management System (CMS) platform? It depends on your skill level with things other than SEO, but it's a very safe and simple bet to use Wordpress due to the thriving ecosystem. There's others like Drupal and Joomla. There are ones like Wix that will host the site for you and give you an easier time designing things if you want to customize the site. There's flat file CMS's that don't have databases. There's all manner of eCommerce ones, though Shopify may be the leader of the pack. So on and so forth. They can all be used by SEO's just fine as they are, assuming the skillset needed is there.

I'm assuming you're asking about a Content Management System (CMS) platform? It depends on your skill level with things other than SEO, but it's a very safe and simple bet to use Wordpress due to the thriving ecosystem. There's others like Drupal and Joomla. There are ones like Wix that will host the site for you and give you an easier time designing things if you want to customize the site. There's flat file CMS's that don't have databases. There's all manner of eCommerce ones, though Shopify may be the leader of the pack. So on and so forth. They can all be used by SEO's just fine as they are, assuming the skillset needed is there.

I'm not an expert but not a beginner either and I've used WordPress in the past. Just wasn't sure if something else is much better these days or not as it's been a while for me. I'll go with WordPress. Thanks for the help

If you want to stay anonymous, you simply ignore those emails. Is there some reason you feel like you need to respond to them?
Yes, I think I feel rude to ignore those 'fans' who i.e. are subscribed to my email-list. Maybe I'm overthinking it and just need to get used to this.

Hey Buds,
I'm in the Insurance Biz (boring but pays the bills Until i hit the Power-ball).
I ran across a guy who is a PPC expert who's now doing instagram marketing to sell tangible goods (Mugs, Pens, Amazon items, etc).
  • Would Instagram Marketing work in a business like mine?

I've seen ads for some kind of insurance agency, which I forgot the name of!

I think actually, yes, insurance, banking and other boring niches can work really well on SoMe, if you play it right.

I do remember that ad for the insurance, because they marketed it very well as "everything you need" kind of thing, but in a way that made it seem believable.

What I think is important with trying to win in SoMe with "boring" topics is using gamification and "lifehacking".

There's a reason we get bombarded with all these ads for apps that can make us read the classics in 15 min, learn Yoga stretches, lose 20kg in 30 days etc.

It's this weakness that younger generations have in thinking that you can lifehack your way to everything. There must be an app that simplifies things.

And to a point, they're right. We've seen it a lot in finance, right? There's so many online banking services and easy investment services and they like to use gamification and making things fun and sexy.

I think insurance is due for a similar overhaul as that business is so convoluted and scammy honestly.

Can the guy you talked to do it? Who knows. I do think this is a topic that older millennials (30-40 years old) are thinking about and that they would respond to with SoMe ads.

I've seen ads for some kind of insurance agency, which I forgot the name of!

I think actually, yes, insurance, banking and other boring niches can work really well on SoMe, if you play it right.

I do remember that ad for the insurance, because they marketed it very well as "everything you need" kind of thing, but in a way that made it seem believable.

What I think is important with trying to win in SoMe with "boring" topics is using gamification and "lifehacking".

There's a reason we get bombarded with all these ads for apps that can make us read the classics in 15 min, learn Yoga stretches, lose 20kg in 30 days etc.

It's this weakness that younger generations have in thinking that you can lifehack your way to everything. There must be an app that simplifies things.

And to a point, they're right. We've seen it a lot in finance, right? There's so many online banking services and easy investment services and they like to use gamification and making things fun and sexy.

I think insurance is due for a similar overhaul as that business is so convoluted and scammy honestly.

Can the guy you talked to do it? Who knows. I do think this is a topic that older millennials (30-40 years old) are thinking about and that they would respond to with SoMe ads.
Insurance is a hugh intergral of Finance. IF there wasn't insurance, banks would not lend money to anyone. Too much risk for them to offer low rates or lend Millions and 10's of Millions to institutions, private business, etc. ----I've never heard of SoMe....but i'll check into it...Thanks

Ok guys so when I started out I fell for this Bluehost trap trick from a youtuber.
Any recommendations, should move my domain or stick with it?

Ok this confuses me.
Google analytics says that I have zero traffic last 5 days?
Is there a problem with GSC or GA, and if GA is right is it something with my content punishing me?
Any ideas?

o9kzIti.png

JelIAaj.png

Ok this confuses me.
Is there a problem with GSC or GA, and if GA is right is it something with my content punishing me?
Any ideas?

o9kzIti.png

JelIAaj.png

Could be a problem with your analytics tracking. It’s unusual for traffic to drop to 0, especially if Search Console is normal.

Ok this confuses me.
Any ideas?
Investigating an analytics issue on one of my sites right now, too.
GSC and Bing webmaster tools show no change in traffic, but UA and GA4 both show an 80% drop in organic traffic over the last 2 days (oddly, not to 0 in my case).

I haven't touched the analytics code on that site in months, so I have no idea what's going on.

Hi SERP Gods

Two dumb questions:

1. Which category structure of the site ranks better?

mysite.com/category/topic/
or
mysite.com/topic/

I've looked at many sites, and everyone uses it differently. I intuitively like the structure mysite.com/topic/ , but is it better for SE ranking?

2. What is the best way to write the Title and H1?

I always thought the correct scheme: Title is user's question/intent, H1 more simplified version of the Title. But I often see on various sites that the Title and H1 fully coincide. So what is the right way? If at all there is this "right."

@redsox

Title is H1, never use H1 in your text.

Title (aka H1) What do cats eat in 2022 - Guide.

Intro (hook)
H2: What do cats eat
H2: Why do cats eat
H2: Best food for cats
H3: Best fish food for cats
H3: Best meat food for cats
H2: conclusion

@redsox

Title is H1, never use H1 in your text.

Title (aka H1) What do cats eat in 2022 - Guide.
I think @redsox was possibly talking about the page title, which is indeed a different thing from an h1 (which is used for the page heading).

I tend to use similar wording to the h1 for the title - but switched around a little - and use the most attractive or eye-catching one for the page title (since it is usually the one attracting people from outside your site).

1. Which category structure of the site ranks better?

mysite.com/category/topic/
or
mysite.com/topic/

I've looked at many sites, and everyone uses it differently. I intuitively like the structure mysite.com/topic/ , but is it better for SE ranking?

2. What is the best way to write the Title and H1?

I always thought the correct scheme: Title is user's question/intent, H1 more simplified version of the Title. But I often see on various sites that the Title and H1 fully coincide. So what is the right way? If at all there is this "right."
Neither category structure ranks better. There are reasons to choose one or the other, but their impact on SEO isn't one of them.

Including the /category/ in your URLs will allow you to break down the traffic and behavior on the site by "topic category" which will give you insight into which are performing the best for you. It can offer you better actionable data. Excluding it makes it easier to move posts around from category to category without needing to deal with 301 redirects, which don't always work out the way they should. It's often a gamble on whether or not you'll lose traffic and rankings when doing that.

The reason that the H1 and the Title are the same for most people is because most people use pre-made themes and most theme developers set it up that way automatically in the templates. You do NOT have to keep them the same, and you can override this theme functionality if you use something like Yoast. It would allow you to have a separate Meta Title and a separate page title (which would effectively just be the H1 at that point).

Whether or not it's worth your time to do it is up to you. I think you're far better off showing the same title in the SERPs and on Social Media, and then when a user lands on the page they see the same title. It creates consistency and affirms to them that they've landed on the page they intended to. You're fulfilling expectations this way.

Neither category structure ranks better. There are reasons to choose one or the other, but their impact on SEO isn't one of them.

Including the /category/ in your URLs will allow you to break down the traffic and behavior on the site by "topic category" which will give you insight into which are performing the best for you. It can offer you better actionable data. Excluding it makes it easier to move posts around from category to category without needing to deal with 301 redirects, which don't always work out the way they should. It's often a gamble on whether or not you'll lose traffic and rankings when doing that.

The reason that the H1 and the Title are the same for most people is because most people use pre-made themes and most theme developers set it up that way automatically in the templates. You do NOT have to keep them the same, and you can override this theme functionality if you use something like Yoast. It would allow you to have a separate Meta Title and a separate page title (which would effectively just be the H1 at that point).

Whether or not it's worth your time to do it is up to you. I think you're far better off showing the same title in the SERPs and on Social Media, and then when a user lands on the page they see the same title. It creates consistency and affirms to them that they've landed on the page they intended to. You're fulfilling expectations this way.
Thank you for the detailed answer!
One more clarification.

How does the presence of the prefix "category" in the URL structure?
mysite.com/category/my-category-name/topic/

Or it's just a default CMS setting and I can safely delete the prefix from URL?
mysite.com/my-category-name/topic/

How does the presence of the prefix "category" in the URL structure?
mysite.com/category/my-category-name/topic/

Or it's just a default CMS setting and I can safely delete the prefix from URL?
mysite.com/my-category-name/topic/
You can delete it safely without issue. It used to, and still may, require some kind of function or plugin solution to remove it on Wordpress. Yoast has the option, if you use that plugin.

I'm not an expert but not a beginner either and I've used WordPress in the past. Just wasn't sure if something else is much better these days or not as it's been a while for me. I'll go with WordPress. Thanks for the help
I have something to say about wordpress. I am also learning to use wordpress, sort of again. I took a break of 4 years and entirely focus on my business which was entirely runing on FB & Skype. However, as I plan to expand it, I am feeling the need to have my own blog to attract organic traffic. In my opinion, with the omnipresence use of mobile browsing, the basic structure of wordpress websites have changed a lot since the time (say 7-8 years ago) when it was primarily a blogging tool. The earlier design of a header, content page and two/one sidebar has changed to a one single column with no sidebar type of pages with too much glittering around it. Most of the themes look like a brochure of a company with glossy images, hero pages and difficult-to-read gray fonts. Then the use of blocks for everything has also increased the learning curve of the wordpress and, if we don't have a basic knowledge of CSS (at least of things like padding/margin etc), it is difficult to come up with a good-looking site from a beginner's point of view. Taking help of wordpress themes and builders is also not much helpful unless we are contended with the copy-paste design they offer.

I spent last weekend creating my homepage in Generatepress Theme (Pro version) and found it very hard to work with and to come up with a custom design. In their overzealous passion to make it the fastest loading wordpress theme, the developers of Generatepress have consciously not provided any pre-built block for header/ footer. The users are forced to create Elements and hook them on the sites with an endless series of trial/error attempts to come up with a workable header. What a waste of time. Even the youtube videos are of no help because they only cover a single nut bolt of the designing one time, and it takes many hours to watch these random videos to come up with a logical understanding of the whole thing.

In summation, what I feel is that, if we ( the non-designers/programmers) are comfortable with ready-made templates these pro themes/ block builders provide in their package then wordpress is a good option. Otherwise, learning it and mastering the ability to design a cutomized design of our liking has a huge learning curve.

I spent last weekend creating my homepage in Generatepress Theme (Pro version) and found it very hard to work with and to come up with a custom design.
Have you tried generateblocks?

Something occured to me this morning.. If you use 'Hot Models' in an Instagram Ad with excellent photography, you can get clicks just because ppl enjoy looking at beautiful women (even Women study beautiful women).

NOW, the trick is, 'How can i find a Beautiful Model to work for Free~' !
???

Back