My Post went Viral & Controversy Erupted Claiming I Copied Someone's Content

Degree
I made a post and maybe the idea has similarities to something a blogger did a couple of years ago. It is in no way a copy. All the text and images are original and my own. Actually the idea is an amalgamation from several sites. The other blogger accused me of stealing their content on a niche forum. Is this a problem? or is it good, if people notice this and it becomes a controversy. @Ryuzaki @CCarter

the post became a bit viral on the forum and it got me some decent traffic.

Last edited:
Is this a problem?
No, fuck them. Use the controversy to your advantage and ride it. You can create unique content and it will still piss people off. If you try to please everyone you'll just create a ton of bland content. Fuck them.

Getting a reaction is the whole purpose of clickbait!

The whole premise of ahrefs.com is to look up people's backlinks, content and reverse engineer it. Then throw in Brian Dean's "skyscraper technique" - it's literally to take content already created, copying/mimicking and then make it better. YOU DID! You are winning, so what if some losers on some forum throw hate your way.

This is really up the alley of Polarizing Content and Trolling. Embrace being the troll it's HUGE for traffic leaking, being the bad guy has it's perks.

No, fuck them. Use the controversy to your advantage and ride it. You can create unique content and it will still piss people off. If you try to please everyone you'll just create a ton of bland content. Fuck them.

Getting a reaction is the whole purpose of clickbait!

The whole premise of ahrefs.com is to look up people's backlinks, content and reverse engineer it. Then throw in Brian Dean's "skyscraper technique" - it's literally to take content already created, copying/mimicking and then make it better. YOU DID! You are winning, so what if some losers on some forum throw hate your way.

This is really up the alley of Polarizing Content and Trolling. Embrace being the troll it's HUGE for traffic leaking, being the bad guy has it's perks.
Thanks, that's a relief. I'm new to DM and I'm sitting here imagining the other blogger coming at me with an army of lawyers.

I already discredited them politely saying that it was inspired from something (non-copyrighted) that was created even before they did and linked to that content. I'd already disclosed that it was inspired from there in my original post as well.

Will ignore and move on. Thanks for replying.

army of lawyers
Well anyone can sue you for anything. But realistically no sane lawyer would take on this case. Come on, copying content on the internet? Copying and pasting? The movie industry wasn't able to shutdown Pirate Bay for YEARS. Some blogger's content looks like another blogger's content in some industry? That's LITERALLY the SEO Playbook - copy content that works and make it better.

You have to get over being sensitive to what people say about you and in general. A bunch of keyboard warriors fiddle farting on a forum on all day ain't got much resources behind them to do anything. If they did they wouldn't be barking, they would bite. They would just sue you, not make a ton of threats or crying about it. Tell them to call the Google Police.

You people are way too nice - sometimes, actually A LOT of times, you just need to tell people to Fuck Off.

This is not a Microsoft versus Amazon bidding for government contract stuff. A bunch of bloggers bickering on a forum, come on... get real.

I can just imagine the Headlines "Some blogger slightly copied a blogpost from another blogger! There will be blood! Story of the Century!"

Who would even read that?

Who would even write that?

Yes, this would be right up the alley in a marketer dominated niche. This niche has less marketers and more mommy bloggers and this is probably why I got that reaction. I'm going to tell them to fuck off and keep up the promotion of my posts.

My only worry is that it is common in this niche for bloggers to collaborate and I don't want to be out of their club just because of this incident.

oh man! I need to build tougher skin. Thanks a ton for the advice. This is the first time I tried a real traffic leak and was happy that it worked. Will try this even more now. I Created sticky content and engaged meaningfully in the community and it worked. Who would've thought?

this niche for bloggers to collaborate
Once you show them numbers nothing matters. It can be followers on twitter, tiktok, Instagram, YouTube Videos, Youtube subscribers, website traffic - NOTHING MATTERS except the numbers. So they'll see you doing numbers and then want to collaborate out of their own greed.

Think about it how many people hate Kim Kardashian? Or Trump? A lot of people talk a lot of shit, but if either of those people gave you a phone call and wanted to collaborate with you on a project to make money WHO would say no? No matter how much you hate whichever, that greed/survival factor is going to make the calculation.

I don't care who it is EVERYONE is going to "consider it" and most people will do it - PERIOD.

When money comes into play: "Well he/she is not that bad of a person. They do have some good qualities." You're brain starts justifying the collabo in some fashion.

"Money talks bullshit walks".

Once you show them numbers nothing matters. It can be followers on twitter, tiktok, Instagram, YouTube Videos, Youtube subscribers, website traffic - NOTHING MATTERS except the numbers. So they'll see you doing numbers and then want to collaborate out of their own greed.

Alright. Thanks for the encouragement. Going to keep up the promotion and taking good ideas and making them better.

Back