Introductions Thread

Hello,

My name is Jared. I'm an unaccomplished high school dropout who's pushing 30, and I've turned to the world of getting rich on the Internet to hopefully get rich off of the Internet.

I've been quietly studying for the past 9 months or so, reading and watching hundreds-of-thousands-of-dollars worth of tutorials and courses that I've downloaded from black hat forums. Along the way, I've gained experience in pretty much every necessary area: web tech, design, copywriting, link building, etc.

There's just one problem: I haven't yet worked up the nerve to really reach for that brass ring. I've been timid. Some might even say a pussy. I've lacked aggression.

That's about to change.

Maybe.

First of all welcome to the forum!

Now, reality check, slap yourself in the face then get to work because you could have learned infinitely more by DOING than by spending 9 months reading a bunch of rehashed courses. Don't let the next 9 months be the same. Start something, fail, learn from it, start something else, fail a bit less, learn from it, start something else, fail even less, until you succeed.

Do you have any ideas in mind for a project?

Hello builders..
I am Albert from Malaysia. Have been doing SEO and building sites for some time. Found this forum via nohatdigital and seonick blog. Look awesome thus registered and joined this society.
Hope to learn more from all the builders here.:happy:

We're glad to have you along for the ride.

What kind of sites are you building? Content sites? Ecommerce?

What kind of monetization do you prefer? display ads? affiliate products? drop shipping?

I work as SEO for a travel website. Had worked as SEO for ecommerce websites & marketplace website for several years.

For my own free time I am building content website and affiliate review website. Just started recently after loss all my websites to a server crash. I am doing keyword research now.

I have experience in monetization at display ads & some affiliate programs for my own website in the past and now I am trying to explore more in affiliate products and hopefully one day I can learn about media buying and get skilled up in affiliate marketing. Was amazed by those affiliate marketer living the dot com life.

How do I get started in this forum? Is there like a must read thread?

Last edited:
How do I get started in this forum? Is there like a must read thread?

The green notification on the homepage wants you to make three posts in this Orientation Room section and receive one like (you just need one more post!) and then you can post everywhere. It's set up to make sure people put in a little effort and to keep spammers out.

Otherwise, I'd give the Rules a quick read, which you can always find linked on the top menu. The Laboratory is always fun, where we all keep our case studies and talk about our projects as we work on them. The Boardroom is for all business talk, and the Water Cooler is for off-topic relaxed conversation.

Have fun, looking forward to seeing you around the forum :smile:

Hello all,

I am Bloghue - you can call me Abhi

I code stuff, market stuff, run stuff.

I was aware of BuSo since it's inception. However, couldn't get myself to sign up for the fear of it being a time-sink. Have been reading some stuff here and there and needless to say, it's all brilliant.

A lot of people here might already know me from WF or Skype. For everyone else, there's my intro.

Look forward to participating more and more in the community.

Peace

Thank you @Ryuzaki. I like this quote in Rules section. Today’s newbie is tomorrow’s millionaire. :D
Looking forward to the day I am qualified to contribute back my knowledge to the society!

3o85xvSx4BOTYs8gNy.gif

Been anonymously lurking for a while.

Used the lightning theme for some projects and felt dirty not contributing. Signed up and donated dat dere $15 as thanks.

Previously owned a London web/design agency. Just sacked all staff last week and terminated the lease to focus on more scalable stuff instead of getting everyone else filthy rich. Best thing I've ever done. Has made me so hungry it reminds me of the early days cold calling through the phonebook 10 hours a day from my kitchen table.

Some of you have worked with me before unknowingly on client related projects.

My goal is to go from $0/day to $1k/day net average within a year.

The strategy is a multi-pronged attack across client work, short term quick bucks as they come along and long term big brands. Just hired the first VA, seems legit. Time to put the plan in motion.

I'm writing about it as I go on a little blog. Just to keep me accountable, also uses the lightning theme. I'll be making a follow along here on BuSo for the first big brand site too.

Can I be free now?

Can I be free now?

What, you don't like these:

"Clients buy your time. You're selling your life off; one Comic Sans font change at a time."

Welcome, and best of luck.

Welcome!

Oh man, I love what you did with Lightning. You used it precisely as I had hoped, as a foundation and not as an end-all-be-all. Your version looks fantastic. I'm glad you're getting good use out of it.

Love what you've done with the theme, it really does look good.

Will be bookmarking it and will be following along with your journey, best of luck mate and welcome!

Hiiiiiiiii Bloghue. I thought you were here already. Glad to see you made it.

Haha! I have been meaning to join for a while, but just couldn't get myself to do so. Finally decided to go ahead and participate.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

What, you don't like these:

"Clients buy your time. You're selling your life off; one Comic Sans font change at a time."

Welcome, and best of luck.

Ha. I try to educate clients as much as possible usually, but what could've been a perfect centrepiece for our portfolio became a Ling's cars ripoff real quick. Had a few too many of those in one month.

Welcome!

Oh man, I love what you did with Lightning. You used it precisely as I had hoped, as a foundation and not as an end-all-be-all. Your version looks fantastic. I'm glad you're getting good use out of it.

That theme is so solid. I stripped out a few extra bits and on a VPS that site was showing a 300ms load time on Pingdom with the header image and demo content. It's replaced Responsive as my go to theme. Thanks man.

Sounds like we have similar goals but you're starting way ahead of me from a position of strength you worked hard to establish. I'm back at dialing the phone book mode :wink:.

Good luck man, I'll be following along here and on your blog.

Hi, BuSo

I've been lurking a long time, enjoyed the content immensely, and intended to keep lurking because I don't feel like I have anything to add to the conversations happening here.

Decided to register because I can't access member's profiles here to view their previous posts, and it's really a hassle to search manually.

So here's my first ever post. Any kind soul can point me to the basics of traffic leaking? Like stuff I need to read to get going. I'm building an ecommerce site and I do a bit of SEO (PBN's mostly). I'm interested to learn how you guys do social.

Thanks a lot, and hope I can contribute something here sooner than later!

@CCarter is the resident traffic leak master, and I think he even coined the phrase. He's posted some great information here concerning leaking:
Thanks for signing up. Even if you feel you can't add much to the conversations (which I doubt it true!) you can always ask questions. That's a great contribution in itself, as it gets everyone talking and sharing more and more knowledge and experience.

@Krass - if you are looking for the very beginning of the traffic leak concept with examples you can check out the original article here http://www.wickedfire.com/enlightened-members/177893-traffic-leaks-final-level.html or at the new site www.trafficleaks.com (which has it separated in pages and is a bit more SFW then wickedfire).

Also welcome to BuSo!

@CCarter is the resident traffic leak master, and I think he even coined the phrase. He's posted some great information here concerning leaking:
Thanks for signing up. Even if you feel you can't add much to the conversations (which I doubt it true!) you can always ask questions. That's a great contribution in itself, as it gets everyone talking and sharing more and more knowledge and experience.

Thanks CCarter and Ryu. I like the mantra a world without Google. Ahaha. I think I've spent too much time trying to understand and game their algo instead of just going out and making money. Thanks for the list. It'll keep me busy for days to come.

Hi everyone. I'm not new to the whole IM/SEO/affiliate marketing thing, but I've never been able to make a living at it, either. I make a good living as a coder/SEO but (ironically!) I can't seem to make money for myself. I make money for the company (and the boss). How sad is that?

So - once again - I'm going to try to do my own thing.

My main problem (besides everyone's problem - focusing) is that I don't know what to do. Maybe I'm overthinking it. I can code anything thrown at me, but when it comes to ideas I don't seem to have enough or enough clear ones that can be turned into money-making opportunities.

Perhaps it's because I like to make things work and enjoy the technical aspect of marketing more than the creative/design/copyrighting side. Who knows.

The bottom line is that I want to change, become better, become more focused, and execute a plan that works. I'm going to try yet again. My hope is that I'm among some like-minded people who can be encouragements, inspirations, or maybe even provokers for me to finally have some success in IM.

Hey welcome to BuSo!

I'm trying to come up with something that Builder Society can do / create to help everyone with focus since it comes up so often in intros and journals. Going to make a thread now...

I've been where you are at - tons of potential with no "grand" idea, or maybe you assume that grand idea someone else is already working on. You're a coder - code something that solves a real pain for people. If you are going after the IM crowd - code a tool that solve a pain - there are tons of pains once you start listening to IMers. Hell even automating something that takes X amount of hours of work for them is a service. But there are problems that small businesses have that you can solve as well - tons of problems, you just have to get to know business owners or employees of firms and figure out what pains they have. Easier said than done.

Here is the problem you'll run into - once you build it guess what? You still have to market it. I've seen coders create some spectacular projects but they never got the traction that they could have since they didn't market it or have a partner, employee, or team to do the actually pushing.

Building a business is tough - but once you've got the business you want to be in now you are in the situation like EVERY business in the world finds itself in - need to get the word out there about exactly what it is you do.

SO success in IM, I guess means success in promoting something, affiliate offer, your own service/product, or whatever. But you still need to solve that one problem of what are you going to promote, that is up to you. It might make sense to partner up with someone that has an idea and marketing capabilities but just need a coder - but you have to trust each other to the ultimate level to really jump in, cause it's like a marriage at the point.

Welcome to BuSo.

You still have to market it.

That's probably the biggest challenge of all. I've thought of ideas in the past and even created working services that were very good (IMO) but they ultimately faded away and I shut them down primarily due to this one thing. For example I had a working link indexing service a good year before Linklicious (and others) came out. But you heard of those services - and not mine.

Marketing, for me, is unappealing and just doesn't come naturally. It's hard for me to attempt it.

So the suggestion that partnering with someone who is a natural marketer makes a great deal of sense. Good advice.

Hey welcome to the forum, glad to see new faces still arriving.

With what you and Carter were talking about above, think you've made a smart decision. If marketing doesn't come so naturally there's no point wasting time if you already have a great idea - which you will.

Just keep learning in the mean time and when the time comes, if you need a partner, this is the perfect place to find one!

Hello All,

I work as a SEO consultant for an agency, so I'm not completely new to the game but I want to branch out and start some projects that generate income for myself.
My question is If you could recommend one article, post, video as a starting point for a newbie what would it be?

Back