Long story short:

Went to top 30 college - didn't get much out of it
Played online poker to pay for said college
Coached, invested other players
Traveled for a bit after school
Realized I didn't want to play poker for life
Started building sites
Realized there wasn't much recurring revenue
Starting marketing sites for clients (still do this)
Realized I could build my own sites
Started building my own sites (still do this)

End.

I've got a lot of random hobbies and I read like a fiend. Feel free to connect w/ me - I'm always around :smile:

Hey David, welcome to the forum!

What type of thread are you looking for? Definitely check out the Boot Camp area in the Laboratory, but there are countless nuggets to be found just about everywhere :smile:

I've noticed a lot of cross over between online poker players and online marketers. Maybe they take similar skill sets?

Welcome to the forum Kevin, good to have ya on board!

I've noticed a lot of cross over between online poker players and online marketers. Maybe they take similar skill sets?

Welcome to the forum Kevin, good to have ya on board!
Not sure, could just be fact that online poker players (that do well) have an aversion to getting a standard job and a knack for picking things up and self-study, so moving through to something like online marketing just sorta..makes sense :tongue:

Just a quick hello, I wanted to reach out and thank everyone for the great content on the forum so far - I've been lurking and digesting the content so thought I'd better post.

I am enjoying the "leakage" projects you guys are doing well and will be following along with my own project (something ive sat on for ages) and to get away from pure seo traffic.
The latest onpage and big brand stuff by ccarter have helped me re evaluate what the site should look like.

Thanks guys.
Delta

Hi Everyone,

My name is Tom, I am a 25-year-old guy living in London. By day, I work as an SEO Consultant for a well-known agency and during the evenings I dedicate myself to learning.

History

From 2012-2013, I did very well for myself through Black Hat SEO & PBNs. However, I knew I was on borrowed time.

My early sites and PBNs had some serious problems, but my greed prevented me from taking steps to address these flaws.

It was inevitable really, but I was mauled by the webspam team at the start of this year. I lost all of my sites and my entire network.

Luckily, I invested the majority of the money I had made online into property, rather than live an excessive lifestyle.

Present & Future

Some of you might not relate to this way of thinking, but after my setback, I didn't immediately jump back into new projects.

This year I have dedicated all of my time to learning. A big part of this included my decision to work at an agency that was highly skilled in not just SEO, but in the entire spectrum of digital marketing.

Over the past 12 months, I have significantly improved my knowledge of Coding, WH SEO, PPC, Display, and Social.

So, what is the next step?

The next step is to apply everything I have learned to my own projects. This time around, I will not be a slave to Google and their algorithm. SEO will be one of the many traffic sources to my sites.

I'm in it for the long haul, and I'm looking forward to building some great things in 2015.

Tom

Hey BuSo,

I've been a full-time self-employed SEO for the last 4 years. No client work (other than offering a few services while rebuilding after Penguin 1), just building and ranking my own properties. Over the last year I've been working on improving my online business/marketing skill set and branching out into other ventures.

I usually prefer to lurk, but decided to finally sign up after seeing so many familiar names I respect. Really impressed with the quality of the sharing and the community here, and I'm excited to be a part of it.

Cheers,
Nate

Hey guys,

I've joined the forum for a few weeks already (just before the start of CC9), and have been following along everyone's progress since. Mad respect on the hustle all of you are putting in. CC9 is after all the reason why I signed up.

Anyway, it's about time I get involved and get rid of the green box on the top. Judging by my RecueTime activity and browser history, BuSo is now my new home. Love the info shared here and most of all I'm inspired by all the action takers!

Looking forward to learning and getting inspired all of you here.

Cheers
Ash

Long time WF user, saw a link to a case study from BuSo and have been loving the content on here so far. Long walls of text just the way I like it. :wink: Cheers

HI, I'm the author of the post discussed here: https://www.buildersociety.com/thre...company-4k-to-100k-in-less-than-6-months.412/

I was just invited to join, and thought I would to answer any questions I can or just to hang around and see what these forums are like. Thanks for the invite kind redditor!

Oh and Happy Holidays to all.

Appreciate the invite very much. Had no idea my stuff was being discussed over here...haha. I thought I would pop in to clear up the misinformation and speculation! : -)

That thread was massive. I thought about doing a sub box about a year ago. Never got around to it, but reading your experience put some more ideas into my head. Baller status.

Looking forward to seeing you around here!

It's Christmas Eve and the most exciting thing I've done today was sign up for this forum. Been meaning to for a few days. Excited to get involved with the community.

It's a Christmas miracle!!!!

You can collect your Red Ryder bb gun from the guy in the corner.

Welcome :smile:

I did read your Reddit post, It was amazing and creative, good strategies and a great market research tips, I just want to add that you can double your traffic in teen times by doing videos, you can co-partner a half famous person in your niche just find the right one to partner with, like a brand in your niche did ! I wouldn't name it so you can find it easily :smile:

Hi @MoneyStalker that's in our plans for next year. Do you have any experience in the space? And would be interested in knowing what that brand is if you don't mind : -)

Hello everyone, I've been dabbling in online marketing for a few years now, unfortunately spent too much time looking at courses and jumping from one idea to next every few months, like a dog chasing its own tail :smile:

Hey Martin, welcome to the forum. Time to get srs and get focused, all the resources you need are already at your disposal so all that's left is a lot of hard work.

Hi @MoneyStalker that's in our plans for next year. Do you have any experience in the space? And would be interested in knowing what that brand is if you don't mind : -)

Yes! I had some experience advertising to ( a medium and big brand in ******), my best advice is to make your video a bit abstract and funny, you can use an unknown actor or actors too. You just need an idea that can make your fan base of your brand not only buy your service or product, but also share it like crazy on social platforms.

Anyway, no need to name the famous club lol!

-------

I forgot to say that sweepstakes are much controlled and less money consuming then a video ad.

1- Use video tutorials about techniques of shaving or how to apply shaving oil...
2- Do some giveaways for 3-6 months each year.
3- Sweepstakes and contests are more traffic driven then an ad could be, make sure to add them in your marketing toolkit.

Got into affiliate marketing about a month after the doors to Facebook Ads first opened. Found a thread on WickedFire about how an affiliate was killing it on there.

Ran berries, bizop, email/zip submits, MyLife, all the gutter trash that ran a shit ton of affiliates face first into a brick wall, myself included.

Got into SEO about 6-8 months before Panda/Penguin struck. Was starting to build out a network of MFAs and Amazon sites, then ran face first into a brick wall.

Recently decided to resurrect my career in affiliate marketing. The plan so far has been to target physical products through Amazon. Create quality review sites, layer my links, all that fun stuff.

It feels like I've come full circle, but this time it's going to be different, I hope. I'm not going to rely on taking the easy way out. I'm trying to build quality sites that will last, and hopefully make me some money.

I currently spend a lot of time freelance writing for sites like textbroker and fiverr. I use this money to fund my own projects.

It's been slow going, but I KNOW the money is out there. I just need to align myself with the right inspiration, motivation and techniques in order to succeed.

Just found this site through a reddit post. I see some familiar faces from WickedFire. Looking to get aligned with the right minds to make a million this time. Until then, it's back to the grind.

Hello BUSO, I jumped over here from BHU a while ago, but haven't really posted anything until now.

2015 is a new year for me, as I have resigned from a physical business to a silent partner, so I want to focus back on what i love and explore further opportunities to sell physical products across the ocean.

So thanks for having me! I'm still managing other businesses but I'll put aside 3 hours a day initially to kickstart my link building, article and private network to get back into the scene.

My initial idea is wedding dress and accessories, or "fung shui" related stuff as clients usually are willing to wait for a longer shipping period than let's say iphone or hdmi cables.

Here's a start to a great new year!

hey, did you express interest in my life story?
I had a pretty good thing going with my consulting practice (mostly ecommerce marketing) -- but I kinda don't love consulting -- I mainly just wish I had the reins for most of the businesses I was working with, they leave too much $ on the table.

Anyway, I was feeling the doldrums from working from home, and wanted a little more influence on a business, I was really losing my ability to productively help my current clients, too much process BS mostly, and a low level of technical competence (it is shocking how bad some web development teams are, or how many or reliant on terrible outside resources for their web sites).
So I took a position with a well-financed startup as an early hire. Great money, great title. Everybody in my world was really proud of me. I wound up my consulting practice, which was bothering me in the back of my mind, but I like the opportunity in front of my nose, right?

The boss was formerly pretty much a one-man show, leading a virtual team and brought in a bunch of subject experts, then proceeded to tell us how to do what we were experts at. This provoked much disagreement and 2.5 months in, more than half of us are fired. I lasted the longest of the fireds (woo?)

So here I am. it has been a long time since I was in the wind.I'm pretty good and highly-experienced at most forms of traffic generation (SEO, PPC, Email, Social) but it's been years since I was trying to develop products for myself, and I am literally starting from nothing. I'm trying to create equity from scratch.

think I have found some great product niches but, i am feeling nervous about trying to find dropshippers in those niches. I really need to pick a product and get to work on it though, so I'm thinking I might throw up a t-shirt site real fast just to get working. But, I'd really like to find a nich where I can do some PPC.

I know of several methods to find niches but my best list of ideas so far has been trendhunter , if you have never been there that is a bananas site for brainstorming niches.

Anyway, that's my tale of woe and a low-wattage tip that I hope will be new to some of you.

Hey welcome to the forum, sounds like getting fired is the best thing that could happen for you in the long run. Looking forward to hearing about your "rebirth", consider starting a thread in the Lab? :smile:

Hi,
I'm new here, hoping to learn lots of interesting stuff.

I work for a start-up responsible for their SEP and Social Media and in my spare time I am building a few web projects which is one of the reasons I joined here.

I have 16+ years of SEO and website operations experience and I'm into photography also.

Cheers

Stephen

Back