What are you listening to while you work?

turbin3

BuSo Pro
Degree
What do you like to listen to while you work? For me, usually it's trance, D&B or some other type of electronic music, maybe occasionally atmospheric/ambient stuff. Usually I just have DI.FM streaming, my YouTube playlist playing, or else stuff from Anjunabeats playing. At this very moment, Arty - Zara, because it's never too early to get jacked up listening to some upbeat trance music! :wink:

I got back on the pomodoro train yesterday (Thanks @CCarter) and I knew I couldn't listen to my usual podcasts or Run the Jewels 2 if I wanted to really buckle down and get anything done... so I found this... lol... This shit is magic for productivity.

Anything instrumental or foreign language works. I just can't engage the English language portion of my brain while thinking or writing.

And what's weird is I go for polar opposites. It's either super chill like the Braveheart video above, or it's extremely aggressive like some hardcore dubstep. No middle ground.

I might be out of the norm.. but I don't normally listen to anything. I mind is always going and that just adds to it. Having said that, after listening to a few minutes of what @MetaData posted I'll give that a shot.

Like Vinny said, I'll often sit in silence, drive in silence, exercise in silence, etc. We get so much sensual overload throughout the day that I feel the need to check out as often as I can. In this age of information, the struggle isn't access to it, it's filtering it out.

I tend to work in dead silence as well. I had a boss once who forbid a radio in the office becasue he said outside noise makes your productivity go down by 15%. I've no idea where he got his factoid from but it fit in with my normal way of working so I didn't question it at the time.

That being said, I only like silence when I'm doing brain work, if I'm organizing my stock or packing out orders then I put on ICP, Eminem or Rammstein :smile:

and randomly enough sometimes country western music from the '90's

Lots of trance-- it's the only thing that keeps me sane at work.

I actually also don't listen to music when I work or study... I can't concentrate when I have any distractions. I'm very, very easily distracted. I do listen to music when I meditate though, by meditation I don't mean "ohhhmmm" but more like inward reflection, downtime/r&r. I listen to alot of Reggae/Dub in those times. And I love listening to rock when I clean.

Righto on. Right now I'm going through the HTML/CSS course and wanted to try some "thinking music" so I search on youtube and found this (
). Now I don't normally listen to music while I work but really digging this. You guys should try it and report back too!

@vinnypolston I forgot I was listening to anything, just tuned it out but when it got to the end of the 30 mins it was like I snapped out of some kind of trace. That was cool.

@BANG I know, right? Same thing here. Also listened to the ADHD one. Really good stuff. I may have found something to listen to after all

Youtube search queries:

"chillstep, long"
"ambient, long"

Or go to MrSuicideSheep's channel.

Back