How much do backlinks help for a 1 yr old site with no backlinks...

Degree
What kind of boost we talking here? I have a site that is 11 months old and no backlinks. actually there's 3 from random low quality "image search engine" sites.

How much would a good set of backlinks boost a site like this? (assuming they are correctly set up and are good links from fairly good DA sites)

It would help a lot for sure, but can't really say how much without knowing the specifics, but yeah, if you have any traffic without backlinks, you'll be doing much better with.

This is great to know. Thanks guys. I'll report back with my before and after for the other new guys who may come across this thread.

No need to rush with the backlinks. Diversification with different types of backlinks will be great, but you may start very easy with basic links from relevant profiles, company info sites etc. Don't take the link building so hard. I am always reading very good case studies of websites with lots of traffic with no link building built. Give users value, don't waste their time and everything will go well.

I agree with Nikola. The more you focus on backlincks, the less you're adding content and/or proofreading. I would do SEO backlinks when I am ahead of the game on my content output. Just my two cents.

I agree with Nikola. The more you focus on backlincks, the less you're adding content and/or proofreading. I would do SEO backlinks when I am ahead of the game on my content output. Just my two cents.
This is very bad advice especially for newbies who don't know how SEO and Google works. The algorithm still gives a lot of importance to Pagerank, so not focusing on links won't work out well most of the time.
Google increased the weight of backlinks in many updates (one of them was the may update) and sites with no or very weak links got wrecked. I saw this time and time again.

Yes, you can rank without links, but you must target a lot easier keywords and publish hundreds/thousands of articles on the topic to have huge topical relevance. Most of the time you still won't be able to move to the top for hard keywords (without links). Great content is not enough most of the time for top3 (for hard keywords). Yes, great content is needed for the visitors (to stay on your site), but great content alone will not be enough.

I am not creating enough links myself and I'm still working on improving here. But I know how important links are. At least get the basics down create some social profiles, get some guest posts, some forum posts. Even weak links are better than nothing.

I did a guest post over at @andreint site a while back looking at this in more detail. The tl;dr is it'll vary depending on your niche and what keywords you're targeting but there's always/often a link gap to close to people who have the rankings you want. If it's too big you may want to reevaluate your strategy/target terms etc.

https://www.brandbuilders.io/analysing-beating-link-building-strategies/

No need to rush with the backlinks. Diversification with different types of backlinks will be great, but you may start very easy with basic links from relevant profiles, company info sites etc. Don't take the link building so hard. I am always reading very good case studies of websites with lots of traffic with no link building built. Give users value, don't waste their time and everything will go well.
Personally I do agree with @nikolaykrastev . Good quality contents will be more important and will attract backlinks automatically in a long run .

Links is what every good ranking site for hard keywords have. Basically, you can rank keywords with no competition without links, but you are not a content publisher only, you are a lion wanting to rank and beat every competitor in the serps.

Here is what links can do for sites without links:
Captura-de-tela-de-2021-02-26-14-01-33.png

The graph represents 20 weeks of link building for a website I've bought. Total of 200 root domains linking with the process I detail below.

Here's the steps I generally follow when building (or buying) links for sites that not have authority yet.

- Week 1

Go for social profiles, interlink them as much as you can, make sure your "brand" (aka sitename) is mentioned, do not focus in keywords or something like that.

You can go hard and make as much social presence as you can. 20, 30 links are ok for this week. 99% will be nofollowed.

- Week 2 to 10

Buy posts about your brand and link to your website AND social profiles.

When something start to make noise online, news websites can talk about the topic/brand. Go and buy links with branded anchors only for your home page.

From 5 to 10 links per week is probably what you need to make really progress in rankings.

One thing you should know is that links need to AGE and sometimes sandbox only start to kick in after some initial links. Creating a website with less than 100 pages and let it age without links IS NOT the way to defeat sandbox.

One way to do that more securely is create a "fake viral asset", like a infographic. You can make this (or translate one from another language) and make those sites embed this image content too. It will justify the links.

- Ad infinitum

Building branded links to your homepage is the fundation you need. But that's not a guarantee of huge serp spikes.

By the way, at this point you have to ensure that you are out of the sandfuckingbox. If not, repeat the process from week 2 to 10.

You will need links to your money pages now. Snipe high authority sites with articles linking with branded + partial match keyword as anchors.

If you have time and need to do something really PRO, you can optimize those articles you're sending to they post with WF-IDF tools, create really long and qualityu articles.

Some of those articles will rank top 20 for some money keywords. You can track via ahrefs or semrush. Then you can tier with PBNs or other less quality types of links and get page one.

If you can get a good CTR on those links, you are getting high quality traffic of keywords you WANT to rank even before you rank your own website.

That's your roadmap o/

Last edited:
Does this mean that to gain the initial authority I only build links to homepage?
Even though I have tons of other internal pages, for example 100 posts?

Does this mean that to gain the initial authority I only build links to homepage?
Even though I have tons of other internal pages, for example 100 posts?

Get links to any page on your site that you can. Money page > homepage > random filler post. Don't overthink it.

Back