How Does Reddit Detect Previously Banned Users?

No, let's say you posted or commented on r/biotech 2 months ago. For that specific comment or post, you were banned from r/biotech. If you create a new account (new proxy, new email, and use an anti-detect browser), you can join r/biotech, but you cannot post or comment in the sub. You'll get permanently suspended from the whole Reddit for "subreddit ban evasion". Simply put, once you are banned from a sub, you are not coming back on THAT sub (no comments, no posts).

I am currently testing if this is true, though. It seems too strict, even for reddit standards.
alright, that checks out. thank you for this. i think im only banned from maybe 1 or 2 subreddits. the part thats tripping me up was that the rest were warnings/bans handed down from reddit themselves. like id say something on some random ass subreddit and get a ban from reddit, but not the subreddit itself. one of the bans i recall was me getting a 1 month ban for saying pedophiles should be slaughtered like pigs (go figure) i dont really have any reason to ever go back to those 1/2 subreddits im sure i was banned from so if i try the apollo/vpn method i think ill be alright.

on that note...
I wanted to report my experience with others:

Last year in Spring, I got a site wide permanent ban for upvoting my own post. All of my 5 accounts were banned on the same day, and any new accounts I made were banned within hours. One account I made using a new email (but on the official Reddit app) survived a week before getting banned.

I then made a new account using the Apollo app for iOS, used a new email, got a VPN, and it has been 9 months without any new bans. I am just as active as I always have been, making a dozen comments a day, and it seems like I’m in the clear (knock on wood.)

I do not have a new IP or a new device, just a VPN (which has turned off a few times while I was leaving comments), the same phone I used when I got banned, same iOS account, and etc. I’m posting on my desktop every day as well, which was in use during the ban last spring.

I’m considering taking my VPN off after the 12 month mark to see if I truly am good to go again. It seems like just using a VPN is the most key part. And don’t use the official app on mobile even with a VPN.

I am curious if you guys think it will ever be safe to stop using a VPN though. Do they actually dump data? Am I safe after X amount of time?
what vpn did you use? or, for that matter, what would you recommend?

The only true way to evade Reddit bans is to create accounts on a new device, IP adresses and dont go back to subreddits you were banned from.
I'm on a different laptop, different IP, and new Reddit account.
I am posting on the same old subreddits, however
I don't see how they can link it back to my old account

for any newcomers reaching this thread via google like i did and looking for answers, it appears that the method to evade is in fact using a VPN and an alternate reddit app for your phone. the app Apollo is your best bet for IOS, and for android i am personally using Infinity. using a vpn on your computer or laptop with a new account is a futile endeavor as they have your hardware information through fingerprinting. (see: https://amiunique.org/) just dont bother trying to circumvent it on your computer, unless youre on a brand new system.

there should be many cheap vpns out there with some good deals, and if you need one anyways for other reasons, thats a bonus! anyway, create a new email (whilst connected to your vpn if you want to be extra safe and precautionary) and use that to sign up to reddit. sign up through one of the alternative reddit apps using that email. if you didnt turn on your vpn while making your email, this is the time to enable it. dont open your app without it enabled, and sure as hell dont make your new account without it enabled!

and youre good! the alternative reddit apps, as far as im aware, dont have the machine learning to catch ban evaders that the regular reddit app does, but if youre feeling paranoid, youre more than welcome to avoid any subreddits you used to browse for a few weeks, and can change up your comment writing style if youre feeling super paranoid (that being said though, at that point thats being a bit silly XD). if you REEEAALLLY want to be safe, use the free website on your desktop (dont log into old accounts on your phone. do not. dont.) shreddit to delete all your comment history and post history so they have no basis for how you talk or speak. hell, delete your entire old account/s.

take note that this method surprisingly works even if youve previously had the default reddit app installed on your phone before. im assuming the alternative apps dont care about phone mac addresses, or dont have any way to know that reddit knows what your mac address is??? oh well. if it works it works!

the only thing that i cannot say for certain will work under a vpn and a different reddit app is visiting subreddits you were previously banned from on any old accounts. i wouldnt risk it. just try to avoid being an asshole in general and you should be ok.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST: NEVER LOG ON TO YOUR OLD ACCOUNTS WHILE USING YOUR VPN. IT WILL TAINT THE IP YOU'RE CONNECTED TO. NOT SURE WHAT ELSE IT'LL DO BUT A RULE OF THUMB: DON'T.

Are you using the same hardware, new IP, and different reader app? The reader app may be a key since this will not give the same hardware fingerprint that a browser does. Otherwise, I think if you want to use a standard browser, you need to use new hardware (or reformat your OS on the same hardware)

Bottom line:
VPN to create account = soft ban
So, you need a new IP, either way. VPN won't cut it.
And you either need a new hardware or some sort of reader to evade the hardware ban.
The hardware ban is really a cross-browser ban, so maybe the reader does not behave like a browser?

Are you using the same hardware, new IP, and different reader app? The reader app may be a key since this will not give the same hardware fingerprint that a browser does. Otherwise, I think if you want to use a standard browser, you need to use new hardware (or reformat your OS on the same hardware)
correct and correct. same phone, new ip, different reader app. like you said reader app is very likely the key here, and i doubt reddit is going enforce their fingerprinting software onto alternative apps any time soon because they probably wouldnt want to risk putting that kind of info into other applications that are potentially more prone to datamining. that, and the risk of the creator leaking the information. that is however pure speculation on my part.
Bottom line:
1. VPN to create account = soft ban
2. So, you need a new IP, either way. VPN won't cut it.
3. And you either need a new hardware or some sort of reader to evade the hardware ban.
4. The hardware ban is really a cross-browser ban, so maybe the reader does not behave like a browser?
1 / 2: are you sure about this? i remain to be shadowbanned and the only thing ever restricting me from posting is my low "karma" score.
3. this is correct for desktops and laptops. the amount of fingerprinting that goes on with browsers regarding your hardware is insane, and attempting to circumvent and lessen the fingerprinting only makes you stand out more against the general populace and breaks the features of many websites. (see again: https://amiunique.org/) fun fact: one of the fingerprinting methods involves using all of your specific hardware (gpu/cpu ect) specifications to draw a unique geometrical picture. go figure!
4. correct, it is cross-browser. its possible that those high user security browsers like Sphere and Tor might circumvent this but i cannot speak on those matters. i do know that previous people in the thread have tested this however. regarding reader behavior, yes. thats it really, the reader apps do not have the same fingerprinting technology, if they have any at all for that matter!

I was using a popular free VPN, so that one may specifically be flagged.
Paid VPN is probably less popular and therefore not flagged?

https://amiunique.org/fp

The field called "canvas" seems to be the regardless of browser, or Ghostery, or anything you do.
I bet this is one way they identify you.

Oddly, part of this field is highlighted.

I was using a popular free VPN, so that one may specifically be flagged.
Paid VPN is probably less popular and therefore not flagged?
sadly that is likely why you are shadowbanned. not sure the exact reason why free flags and paid doesnt but free vpns in general are a rocky place. always better off buying one. theres usually cheap deals!

Free VPNs are probably widely abused by low quality spammers by a facto of 100 to 1
Moot point for me, since I reset my router to a new IP. But, I was hoping to keep that shielded.
Now, I am posting to Reddit using my raw home IP address on a new laptop

Today they announced that they'll be killing all 3rd party Reddit browsing apps on July 1st. This is going to be the nail in the coffin for circumventing bans on your mobile device. RIF and Apollo were reliable alternative apps that didn't scrub your phone for data like the official app.

Desktop will largely be unaffected by this change at least. I think the only option on mobile would be to only use the web-version of Reddit, and then download a pop-up blocker (so you don't see any of the " get the app" pop ups that fill your screen constantly), use a VPN, and some sort of browsing fingerprint scrambler/hider. Many of these are not available on iOS though so you're shit out of luck if that's the phone you use.

Today they announced that they'll be killing all 3rd party Reddit browsing apps on July 1st. This is going to be the nail in the coffin for circumventing bans on your mobile device. RIF and Apollo were reliable alternative apps that didn't scrub your phone for data like the official app.

Desktop will largely be unaffected by this change at least. I think the only option on mobile would be to only use the web-version of Reddit, and then download a pop-up blocker (so you don't see any of the " get the app" pop ups that fill your screen constantly), use a VPN, and some sort of browsing fingerprint scrambler/hider. Many of these are not available on iOS though so you're shit out of luck if that's the phone you use.
im not really one to go on about all that conspiracy theory bullshit but this is just getting ridiculous. they really, REALLY want to make sure they know who you are and what you're up to. heaven forbid someone evade an arguably unfair ban and come back to their platform just to browse and leave 1 or 2 comments once or twice a week without inciting anything. at that point, if someone is doing just that and are being sane humans showing respect, theyve won XD why go to such lengths when you can just ban the evaders if they be an asshole again? its pretty easy to distinguish human behavior

that being said however, i am fairly certain theyll backpedal on their decision when they realise itll fucking gut their visit numbers. consensus is their app is beyond dogshit with a slew of technical issues. so even though i made a nice compact little mini rant in my comment above, i kind of dont think theres a worry here. maybe. we will see wont we XD

Just get a new hardware. Or factory reset your existing hardware. That should do the trick.

im not willing to go that far for reddit XD your second point of factory resetting however is interesting. have you tested this?

Not yet.
I am going to use a spare SSD drive to reinstall Win10 on my desktop

I will then compare The field called "canvas"
Oddly, part of this field is highlighted.
I bet this is one way they identify you.
https://amiunique.org/fp

If it is different, then I will use my new Reddit account on my desktop and see what happens

Hey guys, I'm not sure if anyone is still seeing this thread but I'll post my experience here anyways. I got permbanned back in June for "Harrasment" (I was having an argument with a powermod, they got mad and reported me, boom, banned. Never cursed or sweared or even called them stupid. It was just a disagreement) Anyways, ever since then when I've tried to make a new reddit account it has been permbanned, with my newest attempt lasting 1 week. Except one exception. Back in July 2nd, I created a reddit account with a default username. I forgot about that account until August, where I signed into it and can comment on reddit with it. I got banned on my ipad and that new account is on pc under a different email. The problem is, is that I am afraid if I log into it on my ipad/phone, it will permban it. I can only use it like once a day on PC since I am not in the house the majority of the day. Now, I have some questions.

1. Can reddit moderators (not admins) tell if you are using a new account after your old one got perm banned?
2. How can I create a new reddit account on IOS without it being auto-banned
3. I heard reddit can shadowban you if they detect a vpn, is there any good vpn for ipad that won't make reddit shadowban you
4. If anyone here appealed and had their account reinstated, how did you word your appeals? I've been sending appeals for 3 months and reddit rejects them the next day. Each and every time.

Any tips/comments help, I can elaborate on some points

Hey guys, I'm not sure if anyone is still seeing this thread but I'll post my experience here anyways. I got permbanned back in June for "Harrasment" (I was having an argument with a powermod, they got mad and reported me, boom, banned. Never cursed or sweared or even called them stupid. It was just a disagreement) Anyways, ever since then when I've tried to make a new reddit account it has been permbanned, with my newest attempt lasting 1 week. Except one exception. Back in July 2nd, I created a reddit account with a default username. I forgot about that account until August, where I signed into it and can comment on reddit with it. I got banned on my ipad and that new account is on pc under a different email. The problem is, is that I am afraid if I log into it on my ipad/phone, it will permban it. I can only use it like once a day on PC since I am not in the house the majority of the day. Now, I have some questions.

1. Can reddit moderators (not admins) tell if you are using a new account after your old one got perm banned?
2. How can I create a new reddit account on IOS without it being auto-banned
3. I heard reddit can shadowban you if they detect a vpn, is there any good vpn for ipad that won't make reddit shadowban you
4. If anyone here appealed and had their account reinstated, how did you word your appeals? I've been sending appeals for 3 months and reddit rejects them the next day. Each and every time.

Any tips/comments help, I can elaborate on some points
hi there!
heres a short answer: stick to the pc. the reason its working is because you havent signed into your computer with any of the ipad accounts that were banned. the moment you do so, the computer and its hardware becomes flagged as belonging to someone who owns perma banned accounts and as a result the computer hardware will be flagged in their system so that whenever accounts are made on that hardware they are perma banned. in my extended response below, i have provided you with two potential other avenues but one involves risk and a little money and the other a lot more money but little risk. dont forget that you have the third option of just putting up with using it on your PC. i dont want to tell you how to live your life like certain other egomaniacs in this thread but still being able to use it once a day is huge.

anyway im gonna go through the list and answer your questions more in depth now.
1. no, moderators cannot tell but that is only IF you are using a vpn and a third party app that doesnt use hardware fingerprinting and tracking. if you arent doing those things, it doesnt matter if a moderator (not an admin) can tell if you were previously banned because you immediately get added to a purge list the moment you make a new account under the same IP, its just a matter of when youll get banned as the purge list gets taken care of at random.
2. use a third party application, such as infinity or boost ect, alongside a vpn. even if you use a vpn on the official reddit app, you will still end up getting banned because they have your hardware info and the official reddit app tracks these metrics. unofficial third party apps do not. HOWEVER: as of recent reddit has forced all third party apps to be subscription services or else they will not work. you can either choose to pay this subscription fee on your app of choice, OR you can search online for a guide on how to use Revanced, an app cracker, to patch a third party app to work without subscription. you said youre on an iphone so sadly unless your phone is jailbroken this option is not open to you...
3. as far as im concerned, any free vpns will get you on a shadowban list. paid ones very likely will not give you any issues. i got a cheap 2 year deal myself with the vpn Private Internet Access. youll have to explore your options for this one and research what will be best value for money and quality.
4. i wouldnt bother with appeals. ive never heard any stories about appeals working (that being said ive never actively searched for said stories) and i imagine the only people who succeeded were appealed due to extreme circumstance like an accident ban ect. even if it was possible to appeal a ban through being articulate in your appeal, would it really be worth the ass kissing? save your dignity.
4a. this is pure speculation but if i had to guess most appeals probably get thrown into the bin through automation and filters. theres no point. if it didnt work the first time it wont on the fortieth or the sixtieth.

hwid means identification of hardwares like roll numbers of students.

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/258681/can-somebody-abuse-my-hardwares-ids

to bypass them, you've to change some or all of them.(good news, according to stackexchange answer above, it seems they calculate your total hwid hash instead of each one as yours id of say "hard disk" can be easily used by someone else)

i said some because if you change any of them, the hash will change (if they're hashing all the ids in their server)..
say these are your hardware ids-:

ssd: 123
hdd: 101
other_hardwares: 201

now the possibilites are lot, we don't know how they actually store this in reddit's server.
1 possibility would be to add all of them =425
and pass them through a hash function.
it could be anything "integer->integer", "integer->ascii" etc mapping
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_function

say they do simple hashing
output=sum modulo 100

then the output would be 425 modulo 100=25

now if you change one of your hwid say ssd and make it to 321

sum=623

output value would be 23.

It seems like they're using this and you don't need to change every hardware ids. But I recommend changing all of them. I am following the article about how to bypass it. I'll share it in dms if required as if many people read that, reddit will find sth else.

the site starts with "s" and has a "tech" in its name.

Man, true that. At least mods in other forums are getting paid for running the site. Reddit mods are sth else, doing that stupid thing for free. most of them don't even promote anything in their subreddit. maybe some bigger power is paying them to censor posts....the thing is if you've written more than 100 unique comments with a same userid, btw comments which are very unique not like "oh so nice" and "lame repeated reddit jokes"..people will identify you very easily. My new plan is to use new reddit account every 15 days so that people don't find about you that bad. but it's practically impossible as you need some karma to write your opinions, else you'll get shadowbanned by negative karma.

i can help you bro. pls google "how to bypass hwid bans". honestly i'm very hopeful that it works,. i am on my way to change hwids. if you google the term, there's a website that starts with "s" and has a "tech" in its name, follow its tutorials. i'm 1/4 way of following it. GOD I hope it's not browser fingerprint, if that's the case, it's impossible to bypass.
I'm new here. I got suspended from Reddit. I don't know anything about computer. Can I get new router and new phone and create new accounts on Reddit and go back to banned subs?

Got hardware banned on my desktop PC back in June
Reset my IP and got a laptop for Reddit.
Been using new Reddit account since June
Will it ever be safe to use new account on banned desktop PC?
Does hardware ban list ever get purged ? 90 days ?

Does Reddit ban a new account if you make too many posts in the first day?

New accounts generally have a limit of new posts or comments. A timer will appear that will prevent you from posting too often. Some subs won't let you post if your account is too new or has very low karma. Some won't let you post if you are not a member.
Reddit is tough.

Occasionally, I need to start a new Reddit account for promoting whatever. Here's a brief overview of the process I follow:
  • I start by making a few comments each day for the first week or two in places I know will get some easy upvotes. The relationships subreddit is a good one if you just agree with the girl, and any left-wing political subreddit (ie: the politics one) is a good one if you just parrot left-wing talking points. These comments aren't particularly lengthy, maybe 2 sentences on average. I'm spending 10 minutes on this at the most.
  • From there, I'll have a list of maybe 5-7 subreddits that I want to start building a presence in as relates to the topic at hand. I put those into a custom feed (how to do that) and just visit that feed daily to make a few helpful comments where it makes sense while never being combative in the least bit at this stage to avoid trigger-happy mods. I'll do this for 2-3 weeks, and again, I'm spending 10 minutes on this at the most.
  • At this point, I have an account with 30+ days of comment history of the "correct" opinions that a lot of Reddit mods want to see as well as genuinely helpful advice. I'll start posting genuinely helpful or interesting things at a rate of about one post per day (one post total daily, not one per targeted subreddit), and if any of them get removed because I haven't hit karma requirements, I'll just make a note of it and keep going from there.
  • After I've done that for a couple of weeks and have about 10-15 posts in my history, I'll start posting my own links that I want to promote at a rate of about 1 of mine for every 8-12 others I post.

I made a new account made 20 posts in the first hour or two, and it got suspended.
Made a new one today and made one post only.

It's a long story. Let me share everything that happened. I hope someone can find me a solution.

I made my first ever reddit account back in 2020 which worked fine until April 2023 ( I got perma banned)
I made a second account the next day, it worked fine too until this Friday (I got mass reported for a prank and banned without human verification).

Anyways, so I made a 3rd account while using a VPN and it got shadow banned one day later.

I made a 4th account. I used a different browser and VPN. I got shadow banned again. I took the blame as may be I was posting comments/posts too frequently for a new account.

Finally, I made a 5th account yesterday. I only joined 9 subreddits and made 2 posts in 2 different subreddits just to be safe.
To my surprise, both the posts did fairly well. One got 200+ upvotes and one got 1.3k! I was over the moon. I got 1.1k karma in day 1. I was finally at rest that I got a working account.
But today I woke up and found this account also shadow banned. I was honestly broken and mad. Reddit is my only means of human interaction for the past 2 years.

I cleared the browser and used a different VPN location and made a 6th account with a different username and this time it was shadow banned within a few minutes!
Frustrated, I cleared all my browsers, flushed my DNS and also uninstalled reddit on my phone and decided to not even touch reddit for 2 weeks.

What do I have to do to get back to reddit? (I can't buy another device)

I literally talk about this here: VPNs are easy to ban

ALL IP Addresses are registered to a company or data-center or some organization.

Most Data-centers literally post their IP Addresses so developers can block potential problem people.

Example here is CloudFlare's IP Addresses.

As a SAAS I just download their latest IP Addresses and ban them from ever coming to my site. Why would someone be coming to my site using CloudGlare or another data-center's IP Address? Cause they are VPNs setup there.

Banning VPNs from around the world is like a walk in the park for developers. Reddit doesn't even need machine learning or A.I. to detect VPNs - they just do reverse IP Look ups which already free (https://ipapi.co/), and see whether the IP address is owned by an ISP or a data-center.

cool! but what do I need to do now?
Uhhh...
Reddit is my only means of human interaction for the past 2 years
Go outside and interact with humans. Get off the internet - if you continue this route it can only end badly for your social life.

The universe and reddit is doing you a massive favor. Get out your comfort zone.

Take improv classes.

I get banned every so often when I appear to offend the sensibilities of some Ritler (combination of a reddit admin and well known German dictator from the 30s and 40s)

Download the Brave browser here: https://brave.com/download/

Grab a temporary email address here: https://temp-mail.org/en/

Do not close the temp email address inbox until you have verified your account.

Set it on the highest settings that allow Reddit to still work on Brave, trial and error - the highest security settings do not work but disallowing finger printing is the big one that you likely need.

Do not cross the streams as in do not try and login from any other browser with that reddit username because they will be able to detect and link the old accounts regardless of your IP address.

I can access all old subreddits even the ones I was banned from no issues and no VPN required.

Also should note that I am logged in with my banned accounts (lots of history) on the same notebook and this was the same hardware I got banned on so you most certainly do not need to purchase new hardware to get around this. Brave does something that prevents Reddit from figuring out your accounts are linked.

Here are both accounts side by side on the same computer.
tfmgPSX.png

Last edited:
Back