Google Algorithm Updates - 2022 Ongoing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My website, even though relatively new - saw a crazy drop in traffic from the last update on May 25. Today and over the past week - things have been improving. I HAVE NOT DONE ANYTHING DIFFERENT.

Anyone experience the same thing? Literally went from page 1 - 2 for a few keywords to ZERO. Back to page 1 - 2 for the same keywords.

Anyone experience the same thing?
How old is the website?

My website, even though relatively new - saw a crazy drop in traffic from the last update on May 25. Today and over the past week - things have been improving. I HAVE NOT DONE ANYTHING DIFFERENT.

Anyone experience the same thing? Literally went from page 1 - 2 for a few keywords to ZERO. Back to page 1 - 2 for the same keywords.

Anyone experience the same thing?
Hey @wikibum yes of my two sites (both were hit) one has recovered the other has yet to recover. I’ve done nothing to either site.

For our site that got hit, we had pre-update levels of traffic. Could be temporary, we'll see
yup our traffic has recovered. not sure if its 100% but much better. we didnt do anything

I looked the organic traffic levels and its a small recovery. Definitely no pre-update levels but its better than nothing. I think Google screwed the pooch and got a lot of people panicing and re-evaluating their strategies, when in reality - a lot of the sites that got hit are doing exactly what they are supposed to do.

Good thing, I am not a reactive kind of person (+ somewhat lazy lol) and decided to do nothing.

I was looking through some GSC data + Ahrefs data and noticed that around July 17/18 there was a lot of movement. Some sites went up and others went down.

I am not sure if this has something to do with the indexing issues, but I doubt it because the sites that saw the most changes are old and the content on the is new (at least the pages that were affected), so could it be another update? I read this post on seroundtable and they also think there might have been an update https://www.seroundtable.com/google-algorithm-search-update-33768.html

Anyone see major movements on July 17/18?

Seeing significant traffic drop on one site starting Friday (July 22).

This site dropped around the May update time (May 23 ish) - Fully recovered June 22 then dropped again July 22.

So we’re looking at 30day cycles of drops and recovery with me doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING else to the site than publishing new articles.

Now the interesting part:

The site dropped in May as a result of several old pages completely dropping out of top 100, despite still in index, and new pages not ranking at all.

Things returned back to normal in June, as if a switch was turned back on. Now, they turned off the switch again July 22.

All newly published articles post May 25 update - Date that we’re already ranking and getting traffic have ALL disappeared drop top 100. Some old pages also disappeared.

I’m just here folding my arms and laughing at this whole thing. It’s amazing how incredibly fickle this traffic source is and how thing can just switch off at anytime.

@Encrypted Pretty much the same exact thing. Another reason why more traffic sources are essential and maybe even more projects, just incase one goes down - another hopefully won't

I was looking through some GSC data + Ahrefs data and noticed that around July 17/18 there was a lot of movement. Some sites went up and others went down.

I am not sure if this has something to do with the indexing issues, but I doubt it because the sites that saw the most changes are old and the content on the is new (at least the pages that were affected), so could it be another update? I read this post on seroundtable and they also think there might have been an update https://www.seroundtable.com/google-algorithm-search-update-33768.html

Anyone see major movements on July 17/18?

This is why we tell people all the time to use SERPWoo, or at least follow our YouTube channel.

We saw heavy volatility across our millions of keywords on the 16th and 19th, bookending your dates.

erbG5wo.png

We also see it in real time, which none of the other trackers on the market do.

Be one of the first to know when things like this happen.

Man I was going through my rankings on Ahref and I'm appalled at how poorly some of my mainstays do now, like 15-20 where as 6 months ago they were all around top 5.

Got to figure this out.

So far I'm focusing on:

1. Increase trust through links from high trust sites
2. Include more popular products in listicle tests, but less in depth guides
3. Optimize speed

I'm unsure how much on point this is, but I do feel like 2 and 3 might be more important than I thought. The shorter, more focused listicle type articles also are about speed and ease to some degree. I might change the theme.

Man I was going through my rankings on Ahref and I'm appalled at how poorly some of my mainstays do now, like 15-20 where as 6 months ago they were all around top 5.

Got to figure this out.

So far I'm focusing on:

1. Increase trust through links from high trust sites
2. Include more popular products in listicle tests, but less in depth guides
3. Optimize speed

I'm unsure how much on point this is, but I do feel like 2 and 3 might be more important than I thought. The shorter, more focused listicle type articles also are about speed and ease to some degree. I might change the theme.
You using topic clusters and internal linking properly, @bernard ?

Define properly?
You have identified topics relevant to your site, identified content silos relevant to those topics, built pages for the content silos and are internally linking up from those pages to the main topic. In other words, do you have a proper internal link structure supporting the pages you wish to promote rather than having a more random and less focused way of internal linking?
See Kyle Roof: https://hvseo.co/blog/the-hidden-hero-of-on-page-seo-reverse-content-silos/

My personal site was hit by the May update. I waited a few weeks, and did another kitchen sink method. I admit I did have some shenanigans content and I was overoptimized. So, I cleaned my act up, to eliminate that, pagespeed perfect (even if that wasn't a factor), and I am cleaning up my anchor text profile currently. The needle is slowly moving back up.

This is why we tell people all the time to use SERPWoo, or at least follow our YouTube channel.

I am sure your tool is great, but I have too many already and I know that if I pay for it, I won't have the time to use it. PLUS, not sure if you clicked on the link I posted in my earlier message but seroundtable has the same screenshot you sent already posted in their blog post. ‍♂️

You have identified topics relevant to your site, identified content silos relevant to those topics, built pages for the content silos and are internally linking up from those pages to the main topic. In other words, do you have a proper internal link structure supporting the pages you wish to promote rather than having a more random and less focused way of internal linking?
See Kyle Roof: https://hvseo.co/blog/the-hidden-hero-of-on-page-seo-reverse-content-silos/

Silos work but I have one main issue with it -> You have to be very careful and track every single outbound links from every single page to make sure you are not breaking the silo. That is too much work for me and the way I am interlinking is sending users to relevant pages (even if those pages might not belong to the same exact topic cluster).

I could be better at internal linking and creating supporting content.

I usually do like:
  1. Category
  2. Main review page
  3. Product review pages
  4. Supporting info content
Linking to each other.

I could be better at creating supporting info content for sure, but if so, that's because it is a site wide thing. Some pages that have declined have a lot of decent supporting content and some that didn't decline didn't.

Anyway, I seem to have fixed the page speed for now by deferring javascript (except the necessary). I was by far the worst in top 15, so I guess that will be interesting. I noticed some low DR sites that were in the low 10s and they had 90+ in efficiency. We'll see.

Update: July 27, 2022
Product Reviews Update

OhbeRj3.png

Two to 3 weeks to roll out, with no new info coming out. Likely just a rebalancing of things and then packaging in tweaks to other algorithm changes too (hopefully from their disastrous May Core Update).

Update: July 27, 2022
Product Reviews Update

OhbeRj3.png

Two to 3 weeks to roll out, with no new info coming out. Likely just a rebalancing of things and then packaging in tweaks to other algorithm changes too (hopefully from their disastrous May Core Update).
Not seeing any movement across my sites. All a little too quiet

^^^ Brutal.

FWIW my informational only sites seem to have had a bump from something the last week. Weird given this was meant to only be product sites and my SERPs aren't product queries either.

I think they are still fixing their earlier "fuck up" with another update. It's weird how other sites with shittier content that doesn't meet their guidelines compared to mine are now ranking. If you check your SERP's and see what ranked instead of your pages - you will notice that some pages just don't make sense and provide the user with less information than the sites that used to rank.

Its also suspect that they would do a product reviews update so frequently (and announce it) - usually it will be crickets..

I got pretty badly hit both in May and June, don't know if it can get even worse honestly.

Semrush Today
High range
Position changes for numerous sites!
5.1/10

Anyone seeing any changes? I had 2 small sites I never touch lose 85%, was only 100 visitors a day on each so didn't matter, but interesting to see, both affiliate sites using Affiliate Lab method.

I haven't seen anything happening at all with this update. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back