Google Algorithm Updates - 2022 Ongoing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all, it’s stressful and hard to just chill after seeing income drop 70%-80%. I understand emotional reaction is often not the best route. I suppose I can give it a few more weeks to simmer and post a few articles on both sites to see what works. Just sucks feeling so hopeless,

Thanks all, it’s stressful and hard to just chill after seeing income drop 70%-80%. I understand emotional reaction is often not the best route. I suppose I can give it a few more weeks to simmer and post a few articles on both sites to see what works. Just sucks feeling so hopeless,
I will for sure put the energy in a new site instead of moving the current article.

im experiencing the same thing, I went from 1.2-1.5k views per day to 300!! Most of which are from duckduck and other search engines.

I really think my site will come back because it makes no sense right now. I wouldn’t even know what to fix if I try.

My plan is to let it sit for as long as possible. I won’t put more energy into this site, if I’m doing anything at all, I’ll start a new project.

Yeah Googs seems ass backwards today, I've got a crummy site that dropped slightly and a much better site that dropped more drastically. Looking at winners I see URLs with 100+ RDs, mostly broken link redirects.. utter garbage.

This fuckup seems quite large though, like idk if "tweaking" will fix..wonder if it won't take another 4-6 months and another core update to fix..

Yeah I would't draw any conclusions yet because this is a pretty crazy update. I think they fucked up with something and they are trying to fix it.

Ask people to review your site. Your friends and family.
There isn’t anything for them to review.
Sites that took my spot aren’t doing anything different.

Also, my ranking didn’t drop, it just disappeared from serp. It went from 1 to NA. Even though the pages are still indexed. If I moved from page 1 to page 2 or more then I’ll start thinking about bad content or poor optimization. None of which applies here. Also, I am yet to receive any message about manual action.

What that tells me is that, the problem isn’t from my end, it’s just Google playing around.

Also, my ranking didn’t drop, it just disappeared from serp. It went from 1 to NA. Even though the pages are still indexed. If I moved from page 1 to page 2 or more then I’ll start thinking about bad content or poor optimization. None of which applies here. Also, I am yet to receive any message about manual action.
100% agree when your no where to be found it’s either Google f’d up or penalties,

Two things I can see on the SERPs that I compete in:

1) More weight given to authority sites again. Some heavy-hitters like The Verge are now outranking me without even explicitly targeting the keyword.
2) Forums seem to make a comeback. Seeing a lot of Reddit and Quora in the search results.

Could this have something to do with the upcoming recession? Namely, Google pushing bigger corporations again (vs. n=1 blogging businesses) to soften the blow on declining ad revenues, inflation, and higher interest rates.

Update: June 23, 2022
Unacknowledged Update

KrSIr0u.png

h1rqPuS.png

pGqVhmT.png

Felt this rolling in the past two days but it wasn't big enough yet to embarrass myself if I was wrong. It's definitely real. My traffic isn't changing but my affiliate clicks are probably up 50%. Hopefully this is the rollback that many people need, especially a straight up re-inclusion into the index.

main site was minus 10 the whole month now it’s back to plus 5 while competitors are increasing losses. Good times.

Don't see anything here in Europe yet, but probably on the way. I could use a bit of a boost back.

Results for info content are seeing a lot of volatility and to be honest, some search results are just bad.

OXrnlAu.png

Fatty liver is caused by alcohol, pharmaceuticals and carbs.

There is turbulence in the serps again, anyone seeing this? Today, one of my sites returned to what it was before it got hit in the last update. Looks positive.

one of my smaller sites is back
06.29.2022-00.07.jpg
tech blog still dead like disco
06.29.2022-00.09.jpg

I don't see the problem here. The article answers the question. Also, it looks like it's a website that is specialized in pork. So topical authority is a check as well.
For sure. From a technical standpoint it makes sense. Their onsite is on point, but you are missing the point and that is my fault cuz I didn't really explain what I meant.

To be clear, I was pointing out that the information within the article is not accurate and misleading. They even highlight the misleading part in bold!! I know it's not accurate because I have a medical background. Feel free to ask a doctor if you don't believe me.

Anyway, that article (in my opinion) should be labeled as misinformative/misleading but Google shows it as the second result and that shows me that they are not as smart as everyone thinks they are.

At the end of the day, when users are using Google to answer a question/look for medical advice/look for information, etc.. - they are expecting (or at least I am) to find good/accurate/trustworthy information. Users don't give af about the topical authority, DR, onsite factors, etc.. They just want an accurate answer and in the case above - they failed miserably.

Even with semantic search, AI and all the 10000+ factors they look at to rank a website - showing a result like the above speaks volumes about their algo.

19eRI52.png

Algoroo shows a bigger turbulence today than May 26th. My site has no big change though.

19eRI52.png

Algoroo shows a bigger turbulence today than May 26th. My site has no big change though.
For our site that got hit, we had pre-update levels of traffic. Could be temporary, we'll see

You guys aren't going to see a drop in traffic or anything because it's not a Google Algo update.

Google simply updated the HTML/CSS of the results pages and the rank trackers are not interpreting it correctly. Google then un-did the HTML/CSS changes to the results pages today.

Basically it's like changing a WordPress theme.

Example - Yesterday results show a massive change and the back, above 20% is ridiculously high, so 40%+ is Google changed HTML/CSS:

FEpaa8v.png

(Source: SERPWoo Global Volatility)

Here is a keyword where the results pages crawlers didn't have the new layout, notice only 6 results:

fH9Pa8M.png

With us not changing anything, these are today's results:

cynI4rY.png

Notice how on June 28th there are almost no indicators, but everything from June 29th (today), pretty much is steady from the day before, June 27th.

The amount of data stored for yesterday was significantly less than the average of the previous 90 days, by about 40%, so that's definitely an HTML/CSS update.

This isn't a Google Algo update, just a HTML/CSS update to their results pages that haven't registered with the rank trackers.

You guys aren't going to see a drop in traffic or anything because it's not a Google Algo update.

Google simply updated the HTML/CSS of the results pages and the rank trackers are not interpreting it correctly. Google then un-did the HTML/CSS changes to the results pages today.

Basically it's like changing a WordPress theme.

Example - Yesterday results show a massive change and the back, above 20% is ridiculously high, so 40%+ is Google changed HTML/CSS:

FEpaa8v.png

(Source: SERPWoo Global Volatility)

Here is a keyword where the results pages crawlers didn't have the new layout, notice only 6 results:

fH9Pa8M.png

With us not changing anything, these are today's results:

cynI4rY.png

Notice how on June 28th there are almost no indicators, but everything from June 29th (today), pretty much is steady from the day before, June 27th.

The amount of data stored for yesterday was significantly less than the average of the previous 90 day, by about 40%, so that's definitely an HTML/CSS update.

This isn't a Google Algo update, just a HTML/CSS update to their results pages that haven't registered with the rank trackers.

And this folks is exactly why SERPWoo was built.

To help you be the first to know what's happening in SEO for your niche, and determining if something is an Algo update/penalty/rank drop/or some other issue.

The other trackers just don't have this level of insight because they either don't provide it, only monitor a small subset of keywords, or because they update their SERP rankings weekly instead of daily.

Watch this become a new business practice. Randomly changing search results once a week as a security feature.
Wouldn’t want any 3rd party accountability for customizing people’s realities now would we. Look on the bright side. Maybe it wasn’t a one off. Maybe it will spawn a market for consumer rank trackers. Think of the epic flogs. Break out of ur matrix. Only 9.99$ per month plus micro transactions to do astrology with the data.

@eliquid I don’t think anyone really missed anything. Just a new head fake from google throwing people off for a few days.

@eliquid I don’t think anyone really missed anything. Just a new head fake from google throwing people off for a few days.

Eh... BUT...

It isn't new. This exact issue has cropped up before several times, and people ran around asking about the "algo update" with no explanation from Google.

My website, even though relatively new - saw a crazy drop in traffic from the last update on May 25. Today and over the past week - things have been improving. I HAVE NOT DONE ANYTHING DIFFERENT.

Anyone experience the same thing? Literally went from page 1 - 2 for a few keywords to ZERO. Back to page 1 - 2 for the same keywords.

Anyone experience the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back