CC9 -- Sasha Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to pare the to do list that I keep here on BuSo to just the most important tasks and eliminate the done list.

No need to clutter things up. My notebook will always have a much longer and fluid list.

To-Do
  • Auto response welcome email - Done
  • Send first email to mailing list - Done
My mailing list is by no means large yet, but it's growing almost every day. My priority now is to get that part of the stream flowing into the river.

I made 3 pieces of compelling content so far. Maybe it's just 2 depending on how you want to count. One of them is two parts in that I made an infographic (using that term loosely) and the url that is on it offers a more detailed "how to" than belongs on an easy to digest picture.

After I square away the mailing list I'll look for more compelling content ideas and whip up another piece or two.

Last edited:
Got that last bit of my to-do list cleared up. Here's what on my to-do list that becomes the next most important task:

To-Do
  • Reddit content creation
That's it. That will probably be my only focus until I get further instruction.

I've also been tinkering with getting traction with my posts on reddit and forums. So far so good. They are getting clicks and replies but I'm not link dropping just yet. Trigger finger is getting itchy but I'll hold off.

This is a bit of a nothing update but it's helping me keep my thoughts organized a bit.

@ Calamari,

Great work my man! I'm working on my auto response welcome mail right now too. Loads of work. Good to see that you were able to mark it off the list.

I'm more excited than Steven Tyler was after he blew his first line.

Tomorrow I'll be using reddit for my first leak. I figured I'd put it out there so you could point and laugh if I failed. By this time tomorrow I'll have something awesome to report or I will have learned yet another marketing lesson.

@Calamari Looks like you're on top of the small stuff so you can focus on the traffic, what really matters. Here's a big high five to that. Best of luck on your leak!

FAIL!

This piece just didn't resonate with the subreddit like I thought it would.

I got as high as the number 3 position on the hot list and then it began to slink back down. I'm slightly confused as to why it did that because the last two posts I made had their time in the sun in the number one slot, so I thought I was ready for prime time.

I got some traffic but not enough to bother talking about. My goal is 1000 visitors from a single leak. I was less than 1/10th of that with my first attempt.

I have more content ready to go and I don't think that this particular piece is dead. It's just not perfect for this community. I'm going back in.

Update: Going back over it I can see exactly where I went wrong. Alright so first [classified info censored].

Last edited:
Time of day you posted is critical, and even the day you posted on Sun-Sat.

Time of day you posted is critical, and even the day you posted on Sun-Sat.

I did refer to the chart before posting. I dropped it about 10am this morning.

I can make some excuses for my poor performance if needed. But it would have to be through PM.

My second reddit leak attempt was also a fail.

I'm running another one out there tomorrow, or maybe tonight from another account.

I thought about not admitting it at all to save face, but that's not my style.

Glad you're keeping things real and honest - we're all learning and making mistakes. The important thing is that you're doing not dreaming.

My second reddit leak attempt was also a fail.

Let's talk about why it failed. Timing? Content? Negative interaction? Title?

Let's diagnose and get the next one on top.

Let's talk about why it failed. Timing? Content? Negative interaction? Title?

Let's diagnose and get the next one on top.

I can't get into that too deeply without spilling the classified beans. But I am reflecting on that.

I have had some non traffic leaking posts rise to the top. It's just hit or miss and the first two times I actually tried to leak...

...well you know how that went.

I think I know why the first one failed. Basically title and not focusing it closely enough on the subreddit.

The second, I'm not sure. But I'll form a hypothesis or two and keep trying from here. The format of the second was not the same as my successful posts. I'll be going back to that format (storytelling) and mastering it before moving to another.

I'll get this.

You can do everything right and still have it flop, too. There's a certain amount of chance involved.

You can use a site like http://karmadecay.com/ to see how the same posts will sometimes hit front page, sometimes only get an upvote or two.

Another attempt today and another <100 visitors. It was well received and hit the #2 hole of the subreddit. There was a very strong #1 today. But even if that wasn't there I still would not have not hit my goal.

I have another ready to go tomorrow. I dug deep for this one. I'm physically tired after writing it. Not because it took me long but because I poured emotion into it.

I'm going back in.

YpiOPSI.gif

"The night is dark and full of terrors... Lord, cast your light upon us."

I dropped another into the bottomless pit that has been reddit for me so far. It never made a sound, just kept falling.

I thought it was pretty damn good and it will do well other places. Just not in the hole that I dropped it into.

Edit: taking tomorrow off from this. My list needs an email from me. In the mean time I'm going to review all the instructions I have gotten so far and compare them to what I've done. Maybe I'm missing something. I'll be back.

Last edited:
Basically title and not focusing it closely enough on the subreddit.

I've already seen it a couple of times already - my most successful posts on Reddit are the ones with closest connection to the subreddit's topic.

No more fucking around!

My attempts at traffic leaking reddit have been cute at best.

I'm batting about .400 with dinky shit posts that rise to the top (or very very close to the top) of the subreddit. They have delivered on average, 60 visitors each.

That's not acceptable.

Why do I know who @localcasestudy is? Because he put some epic shit up on reddit that actually helped people.

What causes a site to earn the "reddit hug of death"? It's not the cute little shit posts and images I have been posting. It's epic content that helps people.

That's where I'm attempting to go now.

There will be less attempts at traffic leaks, but better ones. I have three ideas for content. I got the ball rolling on the first one today and plan to be marketing it within a week.

No more fucking around!

Last edited:
I said this:
I got the ball rolling on the first one today and plan to be marketing it within a week.

But I did this:

Grinded all day and night Friday to create what I hope will be my first piece of epic shit. Grinded all day today to create a solid piece of compelling content that is complimentary to the epic shit.

And now instead of being ready within a week I'll be ready in a weekend.

Wow...

Language in the making... The past tense of grind would be ground... but "I ground all weekend" sounds wrong... so does "grinded", tho.

So... any actually native speakers chiming in?

And BTW:
Good work!

::emp::

I've been trying hard over the last couple days to wipe my mind. After bouncing an idea off of @CCarter he advised to focus on getting on base versus trying to hit a home run, and that the home runs would come.

So I got back to the basics of content creation. I wrote up a few titles using the principles that were outlined here: https://www.buildersociety.com/threads/creating-compelling-content.415/

I was also advised to not solely focus on reddit. So I'm creating articles now with the intention of shopping them around to many platforms. But I'll tweak the articles, and especially the titles to fit into the platform. I'm outsourcing a couple of them to @stackcash and I wrote one of them myself.

I made a list of 10 places to explore to potentially market my first piece of content. But in the mean time I released the first first piece of content after my mind wipe onto reddit. I've been studying this particular subreddit for at least a week and here are the results:

Website Visitors: >20,000
Clicks On Affiliate Links: >4,000
Email Sign-Ups: 0 wtf lol

Now that it's no longer bringing me traffic I removed the link to cover my tracks and to fuck you seo. ya dig?

I won't know how much money I made for at least a few days. But I have definitely made at least a few hundos from this one leak. I'll update you all on hard numbers in a few more days.

What I need to work on from here is marketing on platforms that are more specific to my niche so that I can increase conversions.

Next time I'll make sure to have more relevant content for them to click on. Usually I do. But because this was a leak I was just worried about converting them on the one page. I should have had more relevant stuff for them to read so that I could set as many different cookies as possible.

I also still have a problem with my opt-in emails hitting spam boxes. I've got to put the brakes on this malarkey and fix that before anything else.

Last edited:
Nice job! I haven't touched reddit yet because of precisely what you said - haven't created any epic, compelling content to share yet. That's my next big goal, Keep up the grind homie

I'd love to give you some thrilling tidbit or says that OK @Politico. I got nuthin'.

But what are you waiting for, man? Just get in there and get dirty. You don't need epic content. This piece of shit I was wrote was anything but epic.

Was it junk?

No.

But it wasn't epic either. It was just a rehash of more bullshit that's already out there. I just slapped a compelling title on it as per the instructions in the compelling content thread.

I wasn't expecting to go balls deep. I was just trying to put the tip in, and balls deep happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back