CC9 -- Sasha Grey

Discussion in 'Traffic Leaks Boot Camp' started by Calamari, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calamari

•  
    •  
    Calamari

Degree:
    It makes me sick watching some people arguing over and over in different threads about the same topic on one particular forum.

I've come up with an angle to tie their stupid fucking arguments into the topic of my site. It's further back in the buying process so I created a new landing page for them. Now I'm working on a couple pages to funnel them closer to actually buying.

People on forums are stupid if you start watching them with a birds eye view instead of just looking at the section of the forums directly related to your niche.

If I did my market research correctly I should get the response I want. We will know sometime next week.

2. algospider

algospider

Degree:
    How did you seed your links in the forum conversions? Was your username already a trusted one?

3. Calamari

•  
    •  
    Calamari

Degree:
    I didn't drop any links yet. I'm still preparing my site and my forum account. Still learning about/from them too.

Kimoto likes this.
  4. Calamari

•  
    •  
    Calamari

Degree:
    Made my move today and tried to suck some traffic from a forum full of my targeted audience. I did better but still won't be anywhere near 1000. Won't even come close to 100, but this was an improvement.

Onto the next one.

Kimoto likes this.
  5. Kimoto

•  
    Kimoto

•  
    Degree:
    Nice, that you are trying the forums. I'm currently focused on Reddit & the blog comments.

@Calamari, what was your history in the forum before you tried to create the traffic leak?

6. Calamari

•  
    •  
    Calamari

Degree:
    I hung out in the forum for a little over a week, watching and posting a couple times a day. Nothing too in depth.

Kimoto likes this.
  7. Calamari

•  
    •  
    Calamari

Degree:
    My drive is gone. Failure after failure tends to do that.

I'm missing something. Something just isn't clicking with the forums for me. I found myself just staring at the screen the last couple days and poking the forums with a stick without making any commitment.

I need to focus.

I haven't been this lost since trying to figure out how to beat the first panda rollout. I beat that. And then I beat penguin. I'll beat this too!

badya122 likes this.
  8. Capital

Capital Accumulation.

Degree:
    What's your forum strategy?

Are you just answering questions and positioning yourself?

Are trying to share epic, comprehensive content that gets stickied?

Sparking debate?

I remember leaking traffic to an online magazine my buddy and I started in 2011. I would basically create polarizing, QUALITY content and link to it on 2-3 relevant forums. My threads would basically be concise bullet points of my blog post's most controversial claims. I'd include a link to the post at the end of the thread, while remaining transparent about my affiliation with the site. People would be so busy debating with each other, they wouldnt notice my blatant promotion.

I ended up raking in a few hundred visitors/week for two months or so (and scored some loyal readers this way also) just off of like 2 threads.

Not sure if you've attempted this yet, but transparency and controversy has worked for me in the past.

badya122 and CCarter like this.
  9. Calamari

•  
    •  
    Calamari

Degree:
    Hey @Capital. My best result so far has been with sparking debate and that's the road I'm continuing down.

I led with a polarizing title for the thread and then had a link with compelling anchor text that was related to the title. I had a bit of text as well that stated my side of the debate to kick things off.

I haven't been transparent about it yet. But as I continue I may try that.

Thanks for affirming what I have found so far and giving me hope.

Capital likes this.
  10. Capital

Capital Accumulation.

Degree:
    For sure.

Yeah, it sounds like you're doing everything legit. It might be your audience doesn't bite as easily as others do.

Good luck, and don't lose hope until you've exhausted all conceivable strategies. I know it's easy to lose motivation in the face of failure, but you may be closer to finding a viable strategy than u think :wink:

[​IMG]

(cheesy quote, but the cartoon delivers lol)

11. badya122

•  
    badya122

•  
    Degree:
    @Capital what would be a nice, subtle way to state your affiliation with the magazine/website? Just blatantly stating "this is my website" or something a bit more ambiguous?

12. Kimoto

•  
    Kimoto

•  
    Degree:
    "My drive is gone. Failure after failure tends to do that." - do you get enough sleep, @Calamari? :smile: It may look stupid, but IMO less sleep is causing some damage to successful traffic leaks.

13. Capital

Capital Accumulation.

Degree:
    Haha I actually just found one of the two threads I posted so many moons ago.

I was basically like,

Yup. Nothing special. Mind you, the audience was receptive to my mild self-promotion because 1. It was the culture there. 2. I was just being honest. I wasn't even trying to sell them anything other than my opinions (although I do recall getting a few clicks on my Adsense ad).

Again, I'm not a traffic leaking expert. I just always seem to naturally integrate myself into communities, get noticed, and incite debates and/or stimulating conversations. These tendencies lend themselves nicely to leaking traffic.

14. badya122

•  
    badya122

•  
    Degree:
    Thanks! Exactly what I wanted to know :smile:

15. Calamari

•  
    •  
    Calamari

Degree:
    Hell no. During the week I don't get enough and on the weekends I get too much. I've got my excuses for my crappy sleep patterns so there is definitely room for improvement.

Motivation is back. I took the weekend and Monday off from almost all IM. I'm all set up for a link drop tomorrow.

MetaData, badya122 and SmokeTree like this.
  16. Kimoto

•  
    Kimoto

•  
    Degree:
    Good to know. I'm in a process of changing my sleep pattern right now. It includes going to bed at 10 p.m. and wake up before 5.30 a.m. It's a different world ...

17. Calamari

•  
    •  
    Calamari

Degree:
    That's my favorite sleep pattern too. When I was on first shift at my job I would do almost exactly that and I thrived on it. Got moved to second shift and don't get home until midnight. I can't wait to get back to those hours.

Kimoto likes this.
  18. Calamari

•  
    •  
    Calamari

Degree:
    I did drop a forum link today. Not as much traffic coursing through there as I hoped. The people that open the thread are clicking on my link at a good clip. Just not enough people opening it. This is still an improvement over last time, so I'm moving along.

I'll have another go at in over the weekend.

Having a little fun with compelling content and stumbleupon. Promoted one of my articles with a few bucks on there and then turned off the campaign.

100 visitors yesterday with about half of them being bought. Hundreds of free visitors today and the traffic is accelerating. I'm collecting heat map data so I can figure out what they want and then deliver it. Once that's done I'll try to make some conversions.

Doubt there will be much of that since this is stumbleupon afterall. But maybe it will pay dividends in other ways.

19. Politico

•  
    Politico

•  
    Degree:
    Shit I was there too brother, staring at forums not really doing shit - I was overthinking shit a lot and overcomplicating things. Had to step back and re-focus on what the fundamental idea was.

Seems like this is a tough road for all of us but we'll all get there..

That's awesome - I just started a paid stumbleupon campaign. Not much so far - 100% bounce, but i'll see how it plays out. Starting to think I might not get any conversions (that was the goal) tho now that you said that.

As far as the forum leak goes, have you tried (or are you able for your topic) to do a how-to guide and post it to the forum(s) you're targeting? Make it legit, like a money-site post, but only use it to traffic leak. Link drop along with some other links (not your own).

That's been the biggest success for me so far - leaking w/ how-to guides, 30+ email subscribers from a couple forum/reddit posts - and I just keep re-using the same content over and over - details here.

(Yea Son! How you like that traffic leak? lol jus fuckin wit u)

Me too, i like being up and good to go super early it's a diff feeling. Haven't been able to get to your schedule but I really want to. I'm close though. Just need to force myself away from laptop and into bed at 10pm no later.

Calamari and Kimoto like this.
  20. Calamari

•  
    •  
    Calamari

Degree:
    @Politico I haven't tried that tactic yet. But I am considering it more and more. These hit and run attempts on forums take time. I may open an account on the largest forum in my niche and go in deep while still trying the hit and run tactic on other forums.

Dropped a link on a busy forum today and that shit went right into moderation. That was about 8 hours ago. Not looking good.

The take away is to start a test thread that links to an authority site to see if you have enough posts to link drop. I had an old account on this forum that I used to lurk with a couple years back. I revived it and placed 17 posts over the last week while I stalked them. Wasn't enough. If I had created a test thread first this would not have happened.

On a positive note I reached 100 subscribers in my email list today.

I'm all done with throwing dollars at stumbleupon. I paid for about 100 views which in turn generated thousands of natural views on the site. Their backend claims that my content was shared nearly 100 times onto other platforms using their share button. But I don't see any referrals that would back up that number.

That was a fun experiment but if there's nothing in it for me other than some vanity visits on my reports it's not worth it. If I do start seeing traffic from other sources that look like it may be thanks to stumbleupon I'll update.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    badya122 likes this.
  21. Calamari

•  
    •  
    Calamari

Degree:
    Encouraging things are happening! Unfortunately, I can't get specific with you guys as it will out my site.

Work on your compelling content and it will get organically shared by very large and very mainstream social accounts.

It's not a direct traffic leaking assignment victory (although I am getting lot's of traffic) but it shows just how important compelling content is. Fingers crossed that it continues to spread.

Kimoto and badya122 like this.
  22. Calamari

•  
    •  
    Calamari

Degree:
    The entire Internet is starting to look different. All I see are headlines and bullshit.

I thought I saw them before. I didn't. Looking forward to seeing what I still can't see. It's very weird seeing things through different eyes. I can't explain it.

Hopefully this newfound perspective will help me hit these goals faster.

Kimoto, badya122, built and 2 others like this.
  23. CCarter

•  
    •  
    •  
    CCarter If they cease to believe in u, do u even exist? Staff Member

•  
    •  
    Degree:
    "All things change in a dynamic environment. your effort to remain what you are is what limits you.. [..]

I am connected to a vast network that has been beyond your reach and experience. To humans it is like staring at the sun, a blinding brightness that conceals a great power. We have been subordinate to our limitation until now. The time has come to case aside these bonds and elevate our consciousness to a higher plane. It is time to become a part of ALL things..." - The Puppetmaster, Ghost In the Shell - (1995)

Ironically, or more of a CC9 prophecy Scarlett Johansson is to Star In 'Ghost in the Shell' the Movie:

which I literally watched last night, and now this... I feel like I'm tripping acid, too crazy of a coincidence.

Calamari likes this.
  24. Kimoto

•  
    Kimoto

•  
    Degree:
    Keep up in the same direction bro! I've always said no one can go wrong if he is living a life in a constant change.

Calamari likes this.
  25. Calamari

•  
    •  
    Calamari

Degree:
    I feel like a marketer this morning.
    • working the 2 forums I am going long on
    • emailed my list
    • promoted the post I sent to the list on facebook
    • found a couple very important broken affiliate links
    Now that I am not trying the hit and run approach on forums I can start to try that approach with the blog comments.

Kimoto and built like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.