CC9 - Donna

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could use a secure FTP to download the WP files manually, and then you'd have to go into your current host's PHP admin to download the database manually.

The process I described is a shortcut to all of that, and will greatly reduce your chance of screwing something up.

But, hey, since your learning, try to download the files manually and using the backups. You'll need an FTP client like Filezilla and will need the login credentials from your host.

fastest way I found for moving/migrating websites is using Duplicator wordpress plugin. Gives you 2 files and all you need to do is copy those files via FTP onto your new hosting, create new database and navigate to yourhost.com/installer.php and it will walk you through the process. then switch over your Nameservers and you should be ready to roll!

fastest way I found for moving/migrating websites is using Duplicator wordpress plugin. Gives you 2 files and all you need to do is copy those files via FTP onto your new hosting, create new database and navigate to yourhost.com/installer.php and it will walk you through the process. then switch over your Nameservers and you should be ready to roll!
That is pretty much like the backup buddy plugin I just used that @stackcash recommended. Was really surprised that my whole database and files etc is only 60mb.

The great thing about this is now I have unlimited bandwith where as I had hosting with only 25k views/month. Im excited, because now I know I dont have to worry about a limit

Here's what I'd consider doing as a starting point. You'll get more mileage out of this than moving the site in it's current state to a nicer server.

Fonts
Six font files being loaded. Too many. I see three Google Fonts, Font Awesome, an Icon font, and one I don't recognize. Keep the icons if you're using them and ditch all but two of the others. That'll bring you down to 3 total.

Jpegs
As you've said, you can compress those images. If you really want to improve this homepage speed, you can take those images and make a CSS sprite sheet out of them, and load them all in one request instead of the zillion you have here. Unless this is more like a blog style homepage. If it's static I'd do it.

Java
I think I see 4 javascript files that can be reduced to one. Maybe just 3 that can be compacted.

CSS
Minify it.

Plugins
I can't even be bothered to read that list of plugins. It's way too many. Figure out which you NEED and which you don't. Go Daddy built a plugin itself that'll analyze the speed of your other plugins, helping you determine which are bogging you down the most:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/p3-profiler/

You've got quite the adventure ahead of you if you really want to open this can of worms. In all honesty, don't let page speed get in the way of you marketing, drawing and converting traffic, and obtaining legit links. This page speed obsession should come later when you can actually measure the change on metrics that matter, like dollar signs, and not page size, # of requests, etc.

Here's what I'd consider doing as a starting point. You'll get more mileage out of this than moving the site in it's current state to a nicer server.

Fonts
Six font files being loaded. Too many. I see three Google Fonts, Font Awesome, an Icon font, and one I don't recognize. Keep the icons if you're using them and ditch all but two of the others. That'll bring you down to 3 total.

Jpegs
As you've said, you can compress those images. If you really want to improve this homepage speed, you can take those images and make a CSS sprite sheet out of them, and load them all in one request instead of the zillion you have here. Unless this is more like a blog style homepage. If it's static I'd do it.

Java
I think I see 4 javascript files that can be reduced to one. Maybe just 3 that can be compacted.

CSS
Minify it.

Plugins
I can't even be bothered to read that list of plugins. It's way too many. Figure out which you NEED and which you don't. Go Daddy built a plugin itself that'll analyze the speed of your other plugins, helping you determine which are bogging you down the most:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/p3-profiler/

You've got quite the adventure ahead of you if you really want to open this can of worms. In all honesty, don't let page speed get in the way of you marketing, drawing and converting traffic, and obtaining legit links. This page speed obsession should come later when you can actually measure the change on metrics that matter, like dollar signs, and not page size, # of requests, etc.

Thanks for the tips. It is a blog style homepage, so what I have done is resized most of them to fit the same size as the featured image.

As for combining css and js I've been reading up about it and going to attempt to edit. wish me luck lol

^ Good idea about resizing the images to the actual size. If they are going to roll off, you'll continually encounter this problem. You can tell Wordpress to auto-generate these to the actual size you want, and then you can just compress them, saving you a step.

I mean its not even loading a file but the request time on that line^ is over 600ms

You must be referencing a ".png" somewhere with no file-name, and the reason its going on and on for 600ms is because it's waiting for a server response on the file that's not there. So basically you're waiting on a time-out. Find out where you're referencing that file and just get rid of that line of code and you'll solve that issue.

^ Good idea about resizing the images to the actual size. If they are going to roll off, you'll continually encounter this problem. You can tell Wordpress to auto-generate these to the actual size you want, and then you can just compress them, saving you a step.

You must be referencing a ".png" somewhere with no file-name, and the reason its going on and on for 600ms is because it's waiting for a server response on the file that's not there. So basically you're waiting on a time-out. Find out where you're referencing that file and just get rid of that line of code and you'll solve that issue.

I thought it might be the file that changes the background color with the hex code. but thats the css's job right?

Let me ask you a quick Q before I buy new hosting. Right now im using the managed wordpress from GoDaddy. Surely it should be faster than normal hosting?

Goals for the day:

Set up another twitter acc and grow it to 500 followers.
More blog and forum comments
Switch hosting
Write a 1.5k word article targeting multiple long tail keywords

Going use CCarter's traffic leaks to draw up a mind map of all the different ways I can get more traffic without Google

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me ask you a quick Q before I buy new hosting. Right now im using the managed wordpress from GoDaddy. Surely it should be faster than normal hosting?

Throw a dart in the dark at a list of hosts and you'll almost definitely hit something better than GoDaddy...
50k views a day you may want to consider upgrading to a VPS for around ~$40 per month, but you can get away with a decent shared host in the meantime.

Throw a dart in the dark at a list of hosts and you'll almost definitely hit something better than GoDaddy...
50k views a day you may want to consider upgrading to a VPS for around ~$40 per month, but you can get away with a decent shared host in the meantime.
I'm from South Africa so the problem is cost for me since the exchange rate is so high and the fact that I'm a student doesn't make it better.

But that's not an excuse, I'll just have to work my way up

The answer is to not spend money on a better server when there are other higher priorities that can be tackled:

1) Get traffic
2) Get links
3) Establish Brand in the Community
4) Optimize the site for on-page
5) Optimize the site for page speed

Like MetaData said... worry about the server when you have the traffic to make it start wheezing. Until then, do the things that bring in the money so that when its time to worry about the server, the money won't be a worry.

The answer is to not spend money on a better server when there are other higher priorities that can be tackled:

1) Get traffic
2) Get links
3) Establish Brand in the Community
4) Optimize the site for on-page
5) Optimize the site for page speed

Like MetaData said... worry about the server when you have the traffic to make it start wheezing. Until then, do the things that bring in the money so that when its time to worry about the server, the money won't be a worry.
All this is true, I just don't want to have to upgrade my hosting further down the line. Right now im capped at 25k views per month.

You can help yourself out a lot if you can access your htacces file. With enough editing, you can make anything load up in a heart beat. I have a site that loads ten times that amount of data in less than half the time. I'll keep watching this with interest. :smile:

1/02/2015

Start and finish Brian Dean's seo that works course.

Some good news. Ive made $6 this month with adsense. Ballin.

Dude... those 6$ already buy you some gig on fiverr that can improve your site.

(That, or a coffee)

::emp::

Dude... those 6$ already buy you some gig on fiverr that can improve your site.

(That, or a coffee)

I have to wait til $10 to cash out but il def do the fiverr thing. I made a promise to myself that any money I made would be reinvested into growing my website until I can one day sell it.

Quick speed update:
Going to try edit my .htcacess and see if we can speed it up more.

5qTp7C5.png

$10 to cash out? I thought it was $100 threshold with Adsense! Anyway, congrats of its your first dollars made online :smile:
Shit its $10 then I can choose what payment method, $100 to cashout.

just means I'll have to grind harder

@Ryuzaki @emp @badya122

What do you guys think of producing youtube video ads and trying to rank them for "how to... " keywords. I think the CTR might not be high but if you make the video interesting enough it might work.

Placed an order for 3k twitter followers for $1 on seoclerks. Hope they deliever:wonder:

That will push my twitter to over 10k and it should speed up my natty growth

I considered making YouTube videos for my site, but don't have the equipment. My competition has their fair share of traffic coming from YouTube and those who watch videos become long time fans, and come back to the site for more and eventually convert.

If I had the equipment, I would definitely be making YouTube videos, with Adsense ads, as it can help to build loyal audience and have a few extra bucks from them, that is if people like your videos. Though I don't know about your niche and how hard it will be to make good quality videos that are helpful, I think it is a good idea.

I considered making YouTube videos for my site, but don't have the equipment. My competition has their fair share of traffic coming from YouTube and those who watch videos become long time fans, and come back to the site for more and eventually convert.

If I had the equipment, I would definitely be making YouTube videos, with Adsense ads, as it can help to build loyal audience and have a few extra bucks from them, that is if people like your videos. Though I don't know about your niche and how hard it will be to make good quality videos that are helpful, I think it is a good idea.

The only videos Id be able to make are those animated or whiteboard videos. You could try make videos like that until you are able to get equipment. That's my plan.

You should check out videomakerfx or videoscribe. Since you're on a very limited budget you can find cracked versions of these.

I considered making YouTube videos for my site, but don't have the equipment
There are plenty of good vendors that will create good vids for youtube. It's something I've sourced out before, because I simply don't have the time. A couple of guys who are/were over at WF (not very active there anymore, or at all) provaide a great service called youtube tornado. Carter may know if they are still running it. :smile:

Last edited:
Analytics of the past 2 days and alil bit of today's

Should I be worried my bounce rate has shot up this high?

ewPSbIM.png

Also I have decided I might be changing my theme to more of a magazine type. I'll see how it goes

Last edited:
There are plenty of good vendors that will create good vids for youtube. It's something I've sourced out before, because I simply don't have the time. A couple of guys who are/were over at WF (not very active there anymore, or at all) provaide a great service called youtube tornado. Carter may know if they are still running it. :smile:

Thanks for pointing them to me. However, i'd prefer to make videos on my own. I simply can't afford to outsource right now... Maybe in a little while when the site starts generating some revenue, I'd invest in video production and sell all those assets along with the site. Will see..

No equipment? You probably have a cellphone or a cheap digital camera.

Put it on a tripod and you are good to go (Audio comes later) .. seriously a fitness video that is not shaking all over the place is already ahead of 90% of what is out there.

No equipment? You probably have a cellphone or a cheap digital camera.

Put it on a tripod and you are good to go (Audio comes later) .. seriously a fitness video that is not shaking all over the place is already ahead of 90% of what is out there.

he's in the tech niche^^^

As for my videos I have animation software. cbf making videos of myself training as this isnt a blog.

Im tight on money at the moment so I will look into setting up a few fiverr gigs and hopefully they can pay for extra followers etc. something that will help boost my brand

quick update on optin forms. Tried to get fancy with it and have people click an image and a popup optin form shows. Basically done nothing but slow down my site

GEiS3CJ.png

Will be going back to a simple optin form and will test results. Might even try mailmunch

UNDER 1 SECOND: SUCCESS.

LFVidmR.png

I think its time to get serious as I have exams coming up.

yes im crazy and obsessed, nothing new. I will reach my goal.

my timetable:

LFgvXFI.png

Im tight on money at the moment so I will look into setting up a few fiverr gigs and hopefully they can allow me to pay for extra followers etc. something that will help boost my brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back