Avalanche thread questions

Degree
I came here referred to the KGR thread from an interview.
I had a couple of questions.

Get a rank tracker. For now, I'll stick with the Google Console. Is anything else advisable as the site grows? Which one?

On Fiverr, to buy KGR terms, is this a commodity ($5 product is same as $15 product) or do you get what you pay for?

thanks.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to say that I was looking at the Avalanche approach, which means writing a lot (180) low comp keyword articles, so I'd need that many keywords.

Last edited:
That's just a surface screening tool to find low competition queries.

Whether or not you choose to go after these queries is best decided by manually analyzing the actual content for #1-10.

If it can help you, Writerzen has a keyword research filter made for KGR keywords if you want to try it instead of going to Fiverr. I've never used it though so I don't know how good is it, and it's not included in their free trial plan.

If it can help you, Writerzen has a keyword research filter made for KGR keywords if you want to try it instead of going to Fiverr. I've never used it though so I don't know how good is it, and it's not included in their free trial plan.
I actually just tested out writer zen for this reason. I found it quite a useful tool, at least so much as it removes the need to find the right fivver guy or do it manually yourself.

One thing to note, I think WZ’s default is to calculate the exact match all in title results (as if using “ “ in your search.) There’s a setting to open it up to just include any articles where all the KWs are in the title, in any order. I think it’s called something like “similar match”—maybe not that exactly but something like that.

Serpwoo.com is great for a rank tracker and has some great other features, run by the same guys as this site.

Have you tried out the avalanche method yet with any articles? I did one a few weeks back, less than 10 searches a month, super long tail, not one other site with the exact title keyword etc... and it hasn't moved past pos 50. site is aged but has zero backlinks.

I did actually start to use this method many moons ago (like over 7 years ago) on another site that did bounce in to top 3 overnight. from memory I paid for a course on the subject, did a few posts and it worked, but im lazy and gave up as the site was earning decent money as it was. I think they mentioned it was good to have a YouTube video in the content, then do a mobile compatibility checker with google tools and that prompted google to crawl it, would happen overnight. Not sure if that still stands or not, I didn't put a YouTube video on this latest one (as I don't have one for this business) but I did do the google mobile checker, but it took a few days to show up in top 100.

Serpwoo.com is great for a rank tracker and has some great other features, run by the same guys as this site.
This persistent and long-running rumor that my friends over at SERPWoo own operate this forum continues to be false. I don't even know how it got started. They aren't among the earliest members to join the forum and CCarter didn't become a mod for several years after launch. However, their tool is fantastic and I use it personally for all of my rank tracking, keyword research, and SERP analysis needs.

This persistent and long-running rumor that my friends over at SERPWoo own operate this forum continues to be false. I don't even know how it got started. They aren't among the earliest members to join the forum and CCarter didn't become a mod for several years after launch
I'm just gonna pretend I didn't see this one cause this shit is pissing me off a bit...

This persistent and long-running rumor that my friends over at SERPWoo own operate this forum continues to be false. I don't even know how it got started. They aren't among the earliest members to join the forum and CCarter didn't become a mod for several years after launch. However, their tool is fantastic and I use it personally for all of my rank tracking, keyword research, and SERP analysis needs.
I mean, I did join the forum 4-5 months after you did.. I kinda call that early in the grand scheme of things. I did lurk months prior to joining.. so I might have been one of the firsts on this forum if you go by lurk date.

Friends? I'm not sure I would call us that though.

jk

HGvHIom.gif

Okay... Anyways.

I did one a few weeks back, less than 10 searches a month, super long tail, not one other site with the exact title keyword etc... and it hasn't moved past pos 50. site is aged but has zero backlinks.

Perhaps writing a single article... isn't going to get you anywhere. That's not the method, all you did was do a single KGR article - how is that avalanche? What are you expecting?

I'm so sorry, have no idea why I thought that, I've been with serpwoo pretty much since it started and joined this forum around the same time, so for 9 years I've thought it was connected, my bad! If it wasn't just me that thought that then there must have been something out there I read that's causing the confusion.

HGvHIom.gif

Okay... Anyways.

Perhaps writing a single article... isn't going to get you anywhere. That's not the method, all you did was do a single KGR article - how is that avalanche? What are you expecting?
I'm not saying the method doesn't work, I got it to work many, many years ago after buying a course on the subject for another site that had a backlink profile and was ranking for some decent finance keywords already, the pages hit top 2 pos overnight.

"what was I expecting"? well, basically the above, I was hoping as the keyword had under 10 searches a month, was super long tail with no other site using that long tail in title or optimising for it it would at least hit the 1st page. the fact it took a week to register in the top 100 and the best its done is page 5 has put me off using the method for "this site". It took a fair few hours to write the article and I had to make the decision as to what to put my time into, this method or something else. If it would have hit the first page, then I'd have committed and gone full throttle with it. But if I couldn't get it to rank for keywords under 10 searches, what hope did I have? I put it down to the site having zero backlinks, probably incorrectly, as recently the site has started to hit page 3 for a few terms I wasn't targeting with around 40 searches a month, so it must be something I've done on the article I wrote.

Have you tried it yourself on a site with zero backlinks?

It took a fair few hours to write the article and I had to make the decision as to what to put my time into, this method or something else.

So the first time you go up to bat and you swing and miss, not hitting a homerun, you give up? Gotcha.

Did you post the article on social media with popular hashtags like stated to?

Did you interlink it?

Were there images or videos in the content?

Did you see the part where I said not to write the content yourself?

Did you consider age of the web pages ranking in the SERPs? Age of their domain?

Most people do the bare minimum, not all steps, perhaps just 1 step, and fail, and then give up.

You did it your way and your way failed. What were you expecting?

Avalanches are made up of trillions of snowflakes working together (hence the interlinking), that cause destruction. No one ever notices the first snowflakes falling.

If this is truly how you operate your life, do one thing poorly, fail cause of a road block or speed bump, and then give up, you're not going to get anywhere in life.

You are where you are in life because of your work ethic and persistency towards your goals. You did one article and failed, I mean Jesus fuck Christ.

as per the guide, i went after the lowest traffic keyword possible 0 -10 to see where the site was at, it didn't work, you say yourself if it doesn't work then the site has serious problems, I didn't have time to look into it further as to what may be wrong with the site so moved on to something else. I was in panic mode after loosing 2 businesses due to covid, money was running out fast and I needed something to work quickly. Thats why I gave up on it at that point, I put it down to the something being wrong with the site, as suggested by you in the guide. I now know that to be incorrect as its started to move up the ranking for higher search terms I the past few weeks, so prepared to look at it again. So it's probably something I did on the article itself.

I posted the article on Facebook with the popular hashtags linking to the article, can't post on twitter, my niche isn't allowed.

yes I interlinked it

there where images in the article, the file name and the alt tag had the keywords in them

no I didn't see the part where you said "not" to write the content, and still can't see that, all I can see is this on step 3 "Order OR write the content yourself, for those terms". As its a finance related site and I have an FCA license I have to write the articles myself, I can't post non factual content on the site, it has to be researched and correct, I suppose I could use AI and check it and change it around a bit to save a bit of time.

my domain is over 8 years old

I didn't do just 1 step and give up, admittedly I did give up after step 3 as it looked as though there was something fundamentally wrong with the site, as that is what google was telling me by not ranking the article for a term with 0 to 10 searches a month.

As I already explained, I had done it previously (many, many years ago) with another site that had a backlink profile and it worked overnight, so I was expecting it to work. I didn't do it my way, I read and understood the guide and followed it for writing and posting the article.

i don't think I did it poorly, the article was well researched and 2950 words long, I can't put my finger on what I did wrong, maybe I'm rubbish at writing articles? the keyword I went after was 10 words long, could this be a problem, I shouldn't think so.

as per the guide, i went after the lowest traffic keyword possible 0 -10 to see where the site was at, it didn't work, you say yourself if it doesn't work then the site has serious problems, I didn't have time to look into it further as to what may be wrong with the site so moved on to something else. I was in panic mode after loosing 2 businesses due to covid, money was running out fast and I needed something to work quickly. Thats why I gave up on it at that point, I put it down to the something being wrong with the site, as suggested by you in the guide. I now know that to be incorrect as its started to move up the ranking for higher search terms I the past few weeks, so prepared to look at it again. So it's probably something I did on the article itself.

I posted the article on Facebook with the popular hashtags linking to the article, can't post on twitter, my niche isn't allowed.

yes I interlinked it

there where images in the article, the file name and the alt tag had the keywords in them

no I didn't see the part where you said "not" to write the content, and still can't see that, all I can see is this on step 3 "Order OR write the content yourself, for those terms". As its a finance related site and I have an FCA license I have to write the articles myself, I can't post non factual content on the site, it has to be researched and correct, I suppose I could use AI and check it and change it around a bit to save a bit of time.

my domain is over 8 years old

I didn't do just 1 step and give up, admittedly I did give up after step 3 as it looked as though there was something fundamentally wrong with the site, as that is what google was telling me by not ranking the article for a term with 0 to 10 searches a month.

As I already explained, I had done it previously (many, many years ago) with another site that had a backlink profile and it worked overnight, so I was expecting it to work. I didn't do it my way, I read and understood the guide and followed it for writing and posting the article.

i don't think I did it poorly, the article was well researched and 2950 words long, I can't put my finger on what I did wrong, maybe I'm rubbish at writing articles? the keyword I went after was 10 words long, could this be a problem, I shouldn't think so.
This is why the objective is to execute at scale, not get hyper-focused on a single article. Google has been braindead for a long time now - especially in the past year. You could've written a great article, but if Google is being stupid, there's nothing you can do.

Not every article you write, regardless of competition levels and content quality, will rank in the top 10. And some will, but they'll take months to get there. Some will be instant. It's a crapshoot.

The Avalanche strategy isn't meant to be used to get "quick" results - those don't even exist with Google SEO. The strategy is meant to help you diversify your traffic and position your website as an authority in a niche. It's supposed to help you interlink and pass page rank. This is done through volume - not a single article.

I wrote and published 150 articles in 90 days. The vast majority of these articles had between 0-10 searches per month. Only about 20 of them ever brought in any traffic or ranked. However, the search volumes were off, and many of these 20 articles ended up getting hundreds of organic clicks each month. The only reason I was able to receive these clicks is because I executed at scale.

the article was well researched and 2950 words long
Was the plan to really write 180+ articles at nearly 3,000 words by YOURSELF?

3,000 keywords are money page level content. You should be looking at the top 10 results and seeing the average word count for what's currently ranking.

And let's say you got #1 for the article going for 0-10 results - how much money were you expecting to make from that single article. This the reason it's about scale AND I've told people over and over to not write the content themselves, cause 180+ articles is draining on anyone's motivation.

There is a lot more problems here, but the "quick results" turned this into a Hail Mary scenario instead of supplementing and rounding out your current content.

@DanielS already said this - avalanche hinges on scaling, otherwise you'll be dead in the water.

@surfdude, another issue, perhaps the biggest issue, is that you're in the finance vertical. Google rolled out a huge "change" targeted specifically at the two most sensitive niches, which are health and finance. This is called YMYL or Your Money, Your Life. Then to make matters worse (and what's been the big problem the past couple of years for everyone) is EEAT or Expertise, Experience, Authority, & Trust.

The quickest summary would be that Google would rather rank a page that's 1% optimized, written by a person or company with EEAT in a YMYL niche on a domain that's 90 DR, over a page that's 100% optimized on a brand new site with an author with no EEAT and zero backlinks. That's the problem you face in EEAT and YMYL niches.

They're doing that to protect their users primarily and the huge secondary benefit they get is it makes fighting spam that much easier. The two main weapons they have against spam are massive time delays (things not ranking for months and sites not ranking well for a year or more) and tweaking all of the dials to bias towards big brands. This happens in all niches now, and exponentially so in YMYL niches.

Was the plan to really write 180+ articles at nearly 3,000 words by YOURSELF?

3,000 keywords are money page level content. You should be looking at the top 10 results and seeing the average word count for what's currently ranking.

And let's say you got #1 for the article going for 0-10 results - how much money were you expecting to make from that single article. This the reason it's about scale AND I've told people over and over to not write the content themselves, cause 180+ articles is draining on anyone's motivation.

There is a lot more problems here, but the "quick results" turned this into a Hail Mary scenario instead of supplementing and rounding out your current content.

@DanielS already said this - avalanche hinges on scaling, otherwise you'll be dead in the water.
Nope, my plan was to prove the strategy for the site, write maybe 5 to 10 articles then to buy one of the AI services like SURFER, chat gpt 4 or similar, combined them with fact checking plug ins and try and beat the competitions articles that where showing for the keywords I wanted at the traffic level keywords google trusted my site. They would have to be checked and adjusted though by me to make sure, but checking 2 to 3 articles a day and making slight adjustments wouldn't be that time consuming.

The Article getting #1 for 0 -10 results was to prove the strategy for my site and find out where google trusted my site as per the guide, not to make a fortune off! if that worked then i'd have moved up to the next level, then the next level to find out what traffic to start at, thats the whole point of what the guide says isn't it? As far as money goes and why we were seriously considering this method is each successful client is worth over £500 to us so we don't need huge amounts of traffic to make 5 figures monthly.

like I already said many times above, if we popped into the top ten, then we would have scaled, the reason we stopped was because the guide says if this doesn't happen at the 0 -10 traffic level then there's something fundamentally wrong with the site. Thats why i stopped, not because I am lazy. Until found the reason for it not ranking in top 10 there was zero point continuing.

I am going to try another post today and see if I can break the top 10 in another 0 -10 traffic keyword, with less words. But after reading what Ryuzaki just posted I'm not holding out much hope, as like I thought its something to do with zero backlinks and the niche im in.

@surfdude, another issue, perhaps the biggest issue, is that you're in the finance vertical. Google rolled out a huge "change" targeted specifically at the two most sensitive niches, which are health and finance. This is called YMYL or Your Money, Your Life. Then to make matters worse (and what's been the big problem the past couple of years for everyone) is EEAT or Expertise, Experience, Authority, & Trust.

The quickest summary would be that Google would rather rank a page that's 1% optimized, written by a person or company with EEAT in a YMYL niche on a domain that's 90 DR, over a page that's 100% optimized on a brand new site with an author with no EEAT and zero backlinks. That's the problem you face in EEAT and YMYL niches.

They're doing that to protect their users primarily and the huge secondary benefit they get is it makes fighting spam that much easier. The two main weapons they have against spam are massive time delays (things not ranking for months and sites not ranking well for a year or more) and tweaking all of the dials to bias towards big brands. This happens in all niches now, and exponentially so in YMYL niches.
Thank you for that, thats super helpful and actually makes sense. We haven't touched the site SEO wise as we concentrate on brokers and affiliates to bring in traffic. But I have noticed we have slowly started moving upwards in the rankings for a few keywords over the past few weeks, page 3 now for a few, up from page 8 for 40 searches a month keyword. I still think i've done something wrong on the article in question as that hasn't moved past the page 5 mark and no one else in the top 100 is even trying to go after that actual long tail, as in it doesn't show in page title or content of any site in top 100.

off! if that worked then i'd have moved up to the next level, then the next level to find out what traffic to start at, thats the whole point of what the guide says isn't it?

No. It states the target level is what you are getting daily, and use that for target keyword the monthly traffic. So 0-10 ppl a month would require 30 days of articles.

Then Re-adjust when you hit above 10 daily traffic to the monthly search volume to the level of traffic.

So if you are getting 101 ppl a day, you should be going after 100-200 people per month articles.

One article makes no sense. There is no way 0-10 ppl a month would have you leveling to the next level.

Ok I get that, thats why I started at the lowest 0 - 10 as we currently get nothing from google, hovering around pos 30 for a 40 searches month keyword brings in nothing.

So am I getting too hung up on what you wrote in the actual thread where you say this? -

"If you try a 0-10 monthly KGR search term and cannot land in the top 10 - you've got a serious problem with your site."

Or do you still stand by that statement? Because thats why I only did one article and stopped.

After reading what Daniel wrote above where he says only 20 out of 150 ranked, so just over 10%, it looks like I should have carried on and not thought there was problem with the site.

I've posted another article today, I'm going to post 2 a day from now on and see what happens.

wtf is your problem. You're not gonna prove anything by half assing things and posting here about pedantic little sub points and rules of thumb you've picked out from carters le epic text wall.
Stop hypothicating, and write a couple of articles a day for a few months.
Post some of them on your site, and others on literally any platform that will let you.
The method is to do a shit load of work so your own time investment becomes your capital float.
Welcome to reality, you're not getting jack shit if you don't risk something. With this method what you're risking is your time.

Here's a captain obvious pro tip.
Put some actual effort into becoming a subject matter expert and doing a decent job with the content or your only reward will be a little writing experience.

Or do you still stand by that statement? Because thats why I only did one article and stopped.
There's no possible way to close up every single possible caveat someone will find when you're typing out a monster novel of helpful information.

The entire method is about posting a large volume of content, not posting one article. You're cherry picking a statement and making it out to be about one article. Nothing in the method is about one article. It's about dozens, even hundreds.

If you post 30 articles and they all flop, then you have some kind of statistical confidence to some degree and can decide something is wrong with your site. One article on a site with zero backlinks tells you nothing about your site or this method or even your article. Follow the method or don't, but don't misconstrue it by essentially twisting the general meaning of a single sentence by plucking it out of the context of the whole concept.

I'll say it again just to be clear. The method is about dozens or hundreds or even thousands of articles. It's not about one article, and any time you become convinced it's about one article, you're wrong.

A moat isn't made out of one gallon of water, but hundreds of thousands. This method is about building a moat. And each article in one gallon of water. You don't have a moat with one gallon and you don't have a moat with one article.

Ok I get that, thats why I started at the lowest 0 - 10 as we currently get nothing from google, hovering around pos 30 for a 40 searches month keyword brings in nothing.

So am I getting too hung up on what you wrote in the actual thread where you say this? -

"If you try a 0-10 monthly KGR search term and cannot land in the top 10 - you've got a serious problem with your site."

After reading what Daniel wrote above where he says only 20 out of 150 ranked, so just over 10%, it looks like I should have carried on and not thought there was problem with the site.

I've posted another article today, I'm going to post 2 a day from now on and see what happens.
Block Google Search Console and Analytics for the next 90 days and just focus on publishing the articles. Then, check and see how the articles you posted in month 1 are doing. Are they ranking at all? If not, you're either selecting poor keywords (too competitive) or your content isn't tailored adequately to the queries.

Month 1 is 30 articles at 0-10, month 2 is 30 articles at 10-20, and month 3 is 30 articles at 20-30. Don't wait until the end of month 3 to tier-up - everything works on a delay. Assume you'll be at tier 3 by the end of month 3. If you aren't, go back to tier 1 or 2 and publish more content at that tier. By the end of month 4, re-evaluate where things are at.

That's it - that's the strategy. Publish, assess, repeat. And be patient - very patient.

Oh, I almost forgot, you need to do the other things that @CCarter mentioned, too. Interlink the articles (3 per article if possible) and promote them on social media. Use ChatGPT to create Twitter/X threads based on the posts. Then, turn the Twitter/X threads into carousel posts for Instagram and/or LinkedIn. Pair this with Gary Vaynerchuk's $1.80 marketing strategy. You can turn those threads into short-form video content and publish them on those platforms, too.

Sorry, that must of come across wrong, reading it back maybe it does sound a bit snidey. I'm not being pedantic or trying to pick on something he's said. I'm also not trying to disprove his method, I'm genuinely asking his advice and maybe to expand on it. I know the value of the content he puts out and respect his level of knowledge of all things SEO, which I why I didn't react to some of the things he said in his replies.

Just to clear it up, what I'm basically asking is,

Did he mean if you can't get 1 article of 0 -10 searches in top 10 then there's something wrong with your site or is he saying if you move onto step 4 and post say 2 articles day for 30 days and none of them hit top 10 then there's something wrong with the site?

Did he mean if you can't get 1 article of 0 -10 searches in top 10 then there's something wrong with your site or is he saying if you move onto step 4 and post say 2 articles day for 30 days and none of them hit top 10 then there's something wrong with the site?
You're taking this too literally. I'm also sensing that you're not taking the time delay that Google has built-in to their search engine deliberately into account.

This mentality typically stems from trying to find a reason to justify not putting in work. It's like you're afraid to fail, so you try to find reasons not to start (I've been there). The solution is to take action and not care about the results for the next 3 months (that's why I suggested blocking access to GSC and GA).

Nobody has a crystal ball, we don't know where your site will be after 3 months - we need to get there to know. Do what @CCarter said, take the advice of other individuals like @Ryuzaki and implement it where applicable, and get to work. That's it. Once you go through the process, everything becomes 1,000% easier and less confusing.

You too hung up on what you wrote

Every day for the last 10 years when I press the "Start" button on one of my cars the engine would rev up and start. However one day I pressed the start button and it didn't rev up. Were all the previous years of experience a lie? I then pressed the start button 4 seconds later and it rev up the engine, then drove off and forgot about the whole incident.

The reason a lot of SEOs, and just people in life in general, fail is because they swing the bat once and fail and say, "see I knew no one can hit a homerun." But people hit homeruns every day.

I'm not really trying to insult you but perhaps you aren't good at SEO? Perhaps there are basics to SEO that most people know to do and you didn't do. I don't know, but if you have a decent domain getting in the top 10 for a KGR term shouldn't be a problem - that's literally the whole theory being KGR.

UNLESS you are in a niche that's heavy EEAT (that's new information for us).

There will always be exceptions to any blueprints and it requires your own knowledge of your industry/niche to navigate it.

There is no way I can predict your reality and having to put fineprint of all possible scenarios, like being in a heavily regulated niche, just defeats the point of a guide.

I stand by my words because at the end of the day, your site indeed has major problems:

#1 EEAT authority.

#2 You have to write every single article yourself - 180+ articles, 30 articles or whatever, that's not a scalable business model. AND you can't sell it unless to another in your profession. These are things a seasoned SEO would know a head of time. These are things you should know about your niche ahead of any blueprint.

#3 As well this strategy is designed to supplement your overall marketing and SEO strategy, meaning you should still be publishing money page content, videos, interactive content, and anything mentioned or available for online marketing.

You can call this a moat or foundation. If it's a moat you STILL have to build the castle. If it's a foundation you STILL have to build the skyscraper.

Even after all that, the article you created got into the top 50 results, on an "empty" domain. So the potential is there, but due to your industry, EEAT and requiring to write the content yourself, you'll have to worker harder than most.

Something to also think about, even if you HAVE to write the content yourself, there is nothing stopping you from outsourcing it and editing it to get rid of bad info to make sure it's factual.

And to throw in another loop, what's stopping you from creating a tool/calculator or interactive content that monitors something in your industry.

At SW we output the SERPs volatility metrics, that's our one most visited page outside the members area.

Unusual Whales creates awareness by talking about what's going on in their industry:

You can even create a bunch of memes for accounting like TB4A does:

In regulated industries you'll have to get creative to succeed. That's just all of life really.

CCarter, Some great advice and insights there again, thank you, i'l definitely do some more research on the points mentioned and try and implement them. And thank you Daniel for your replies, very helpful.

I may come across as trying to disprove your method, but believe it's definitely not the case. I love the idea of it, no real way of getting banned if done correctly and the numbers in month 6 + would mean a serious amount of money for us and would be safe for years to come.

I was only trying to explain why I wrote one and stopped, when one of the best in the industry writes there may be a problem with my site if I can't hit top ten for 0 -10, then I sit up and listen, I admittedly took it too literally. But it does look like there may actually be a problem as Ryu previously explained and you have in the last post, it actually ties in with what I've seen in serpwoo. There's also the fact I have tried a similar method to this on another site many years ago, it worked instantly and I hit pos 1 to 2 within 24 hours, so I was actually expecting the same to happen (incorrectly) so all the above is what put me off continuing.

I'm not "good" at SEO, never have been, I've played at it, knew some tricks back in the day and did OK, low 5 figures monthly back when SEO was easy! You know, the days of sape, 301 redirects through Wordpress to recover penalties etc... this was in payday and guarantor loans space. I know the fundamentals of on page, but by no means an expert.

With regards to some of the tips you posted, I was watching a YouTube video that was discussing doing an article with a lot of statistics and research in that a journalist would search for to use in their articles, super low volume searches, to attract backlinks. Again loved the idea and im going to try one but I think may still have the same problem ranking for that low volume search term. So with that in mind is there a guide on here somewhere about where to generate some half decent backlinks to try and help the site gain a little bit of authority? I am signed up to HARO but nothing ever comes up in my actual niche.

Back