YouTube vBlog vs. Website Blog

Degree
Is there a clear consensus about which platform produces more revenue for X amount of time spent producing content?

I did a little research and most people seem to think that YouTube is a much better choice if your choice is a vBlog or a classic web site blog in your chosen niche.

Is this true for most verticals? Also, do the results change over time (one platform outperforming another in the long run even though it produces less revenue in the short term)?

Why not both? Make the video, then embed it in a blog post and write about it as well. Include a link to the full article in the description of the video. Now anyone who finds your site is going to get you views on Youtube, and some of your Youtube viewers are also going to head over to your site for more info, too. Also, you can double-dip on the revenue by embedding the video on your website if you have other ads on your site, so if you're promoting your videos on Facebook or elsewhere, you have the option to link to the article with the video embedded instead of directly to the video.

Building on youtube is like building your home one someone else's land. It probably does yield more in the short term, but by the same token they can turn it off or decide that you're suddenly 'fake news' whenever they want. If you control your own site you can make money an send traffic to it from wherever you want.

Putting all that aside, though, I think it comes down to where your talents lie. I'm terrible on video... so my chances of making an entertaining youtube blog are about the same as my chances of joining the NBA... double down on your strengths and do the one you can really succeed at.

Split test. Period

Back