What could you get done in a week?

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
Some guys I know do a concept, where they meet up, spend 24 hours working on some new project, then never touch it again. It's a test to see how much you can accomplish with determined effort in a short span of time.

I was thinking, staying within the same framework, if you had 1 week to launch a new website to make you money, and you only had 1 week to work on it, ever.

What would you do?

Some guys I know do a concept, where they meet up, spend 24 hours working on some new project, then never touch it again. It's a test to see how much you can accomplish with determined effort in a short span of time.

I was thinking, staying within the same framework, if you had 1 week to launch a new website to make you money, and you only had 1 week to work on it, ever.

What would you do?

I have an idea for a microniche affiliate site that could offer some very rewarding commissions.
Though, I would need to spend more time on it. I'm guessing 14 days would be enough.

I have an idea for a microniche affiliate site that could offer some very rewarding commissions.
Though, I would need to spend more time on it. I'm guessing 14 days would be enough.

Cool, how would you approach it?

New domain? Expired domain?

Would you do promotion, if yes, what?

Your whole life can change in a week - IF you REALLY wan it. I'd add one thing - the reason for the pressure helps.

"People only change for inspiration or desperation." - Dan Peña

If I NEEDED desperately to pay rent and some check didn't come through - my brain would go into overdrive mode - cause failure is not an option. You'd be surprised at what you can accomplish under a loaded gun pointed at your head.

If it was me, I'd setup a website that talks about a real sensitive subject like homosexuality or abortion or something that will get people angry on both sides of whatever debate. Then I'd target prominent people within the subject matter that have an "active" following - meaning they are crazed one way or another about the subject matter.

The content would be straight up polarising on both sides, and then I'd go to the forums, Facebook groups, and other places of where the loyal followers of the prominent people hang out and sneak the subject matter into the discussion. I'd create 2 or 3 accounts - one FOR the argument, another one AGAINST the argument, and a 3rd one that's impartial that seems to be trying to find the middle ground. I'd go at it arguing with myself until others take over the conversation. Reddit is a good place for this - did it before :wink:

Obviously I'd be using separate VPNs or proxies that's stuck to each account so the admins can't match IP addresses and see they are alt accounts (duh that's how we find you guys that were banned).

I'd setup CPM offers and email captures on my website, and go nuts on the different platforms back and forth. Then I'd go to the opposing group's websites and do the same thing - but link them to the forums or FB groups where I started the original fight, and traffic leaking the platforms and cross pollinating the anger.

At a certain point big organizations will pick up on it, and people will start creating content around the subject matters and start linking to my website as the source - great for that SEO foolishness, but also perfect for referring traffic. The thing will grow on it's own, and if done right will generate $2-5K in income within a week. Afterwards it's all gravy after that.

Honestly guys it's so easy to manipulate people - especially in a subject matter that they have strong feelings towards that making money off of them can be as easy as selling unfitted red hats or t-shirts that show your support one way or another.

I hate to say this, and this is the MercenaryCarter part of me coming out - but the masses are a mob. And the mob has been getting manipulated since the beginning of the 20th century (a lot harder before mass media communication channels).

If you got 3 hours to kill, want to be entertained, educated, and shown the light on how easy it is to make money in this work, check out this documentary:

That's one that changed my views on people, really lost hope, but saw the opportunity of a lifetime if you are willing to do whatever it takes to win.

"We must shift America from a needs, to a desires culture," wrote Paul Mazur of Lehman Brothers. "People must be trained to desire, to want new things even before the old had been entirely consumed. We must shape a new mentality in America. Man's desires must overshadow his needs."​

If you can't make money in that type of environment, where people are literally "born to consume" - I mean - come on now, what are you doing?

Honestly guys it's so easy to manipulate people - especially in a subject matter that they have strong feelings towards that making money off of them can be as easy as selling unfitted red hats or t-shirts that show your support one way or another.

I got only four words to say to you: Trust me, I'm lying.

Cool, how would you approach it?

New domain? Expired domain?

Would you do promotion, if yes, what?

If I'd find an aged domain that's good, yes I'd rather use that. But, I would be fine with using a new domain as well.

I'd spend the first few hours setting up a basic Wordpress site and spend the next 7-10 days writing content. In total, I would need 15-30 articles. Basically, one cornerstone page, 10-20 pieces of supporting content, and 5-10 pieces of articles for links and attention.

When the content is written, I would finish designing the site (The homepage, about, contact, and do some custom UX elements for the posts, especially the cornerstone piece.)

The remaining 3-5 days would be spent solely on outreach. I'd do some traffic leaking on Reddit, forums, and facebook groups for the 5-10 pieces of content I made for attention. Something shocking or emotional, that get's people engaged. Very similar to what CCarter said in his reply.

I think that this would be enough to get around 10k monthly organics in 6-12 months. I haven't done too much research, but the affiliate programs seem pretty rewarding. I'm thinking 10k monthly visitors would translate to1-5k USD per month. I'm actually planning on building this site, but I want to do it when I'm finished doing the legwork on my main site so that I don't end up with two unfinished projects.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only issue with controversy is the fear of being exposed. I don't like it these days. Seems there are people out to ruin you in a lot of companies.

Here's the dichotomy which is highlighted by the documentary @CCarter shared.

A.) We all WANT to believe we're individual.
B.) But we WANT to belong.

In a world where the consumer wants to feel different, they also value sameness. As long as that sameness fits their idea of different.

There's this brilliant series here in the UK called Escape To The Chateau...

TL;DR
- Engineer & wife buy an old chateau > move to the french countryside (not our @The Engineer )
- Fix the place up massively
- Start hosting weddings and various events (making around 30k per weekend, all summer long)

Why? What makes them different to every other wedding venue?

Well there's a lot of reasons. But Angel, the wife, is a genius.

She can tap into selling a lifestyle that people want. She did it prior to being in the chateau with several ventures (some of which were online).

She taps into both of the wants of consumers easily. She's a natural at it. She works extremely hard and focuses on the right things.

Here's their website if anyone is interested - https://chateaudelamottehusson.com/ not that they need one considering they're booked year round.

Edit: Wanted to link one of her other businesses just so people can get an idea of how tapping into consumers desires is more important than having an amazing website. http://vintagepatisserie.co.uk/about/

If you only have one week to pound out a project, SEO is the absolute worst choice possible, assuming we're not to touch it ever again after the initial week transpires. That's just not how SEO works.

I'd definitely cook up a giant traffic leaking style marketing campaign, seed it all over Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, and related forums, then start emailing bloggers and journalists with tips, and drive as much traffic as I could to one page with CPM ads on it, crafty Amazon cookie drops in the content, and email captures at the end.

If you're allowed to do something with that domain after the initial week, then you have a powerhouse of an SEO start. If you aren't, then you can turn around and sell the site, someone will bite for far more than it's worth in terms of recurring income. You can sell them the email list alongside it, or turn around and sell it to a ton of other companies in the same industry (I hate this practice, but we're talking about maximizing income in one week here).

Am I not playing by the rules if I set up the site and put a content and outreach team in place that continues to work on it for months after the first week is over?

Back