The "No Dev Question is Stupid" Thread - Basic HTML / CSS / Etc.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
@JasonSc, I think defer only defers the execution of the script but not the downloading of it.

I'd try async instead and see if that helps. At least this way the rest of your resources can keep downloading.

Otherwise there's more advanced deferring methods you can use that require more code though.

If this is a script you're inserting into the HTML yourself, you can try to manually defer it by moving it to the footer and "truly" defer it.

Degree
We migrated to Jotforms (not my choice) and these forms are stupid large and are slowing things down. 300KB and 6 server calls for a simple contact form.

As much as I want to use something else I can't, again not my choice. I would like the form to delay loading until after the dom is complete.

This is the code jotform provides:
Code:
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://form.jotform.com/jsform/1111111111"></script>
I tried this and it doesn't work:
Code:
<script defer src="text/javascript" src="https://form.jotform.com/jsform/1111111111"></script>
This is for Wordpress sites and the form is on every page of the site.
Put the line at the bottom of the page. It'll load after the body is loaded.

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
Any idea on dumping a MySQL table into Google Sheets automatically?

Degree
You could use the JDBC google apps scripts to do it. Try something like this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42208721/how-to-connect-google-sheets-to-database

I use Supermetrics which I believe uses the same connection. But it's very straightforward, plug in in the database connection, put in your SQL and go. It will notify you if anything fails. The frequency in which you need to refresh the data on a schedule may determine whether this is the right route for you, pricing goes up for daily and hourly.

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
@ryandiscord Are you happy with Supermetrics and what do you use it for?

I forgot about them, but considering now. I think they could help me with my "battle station" setup to understand what's going on across multiple sites.

Degree
I'm very happy with it, I've been using it for years doing reporting. I use it to collect unsampled data from Analytics (weekly increments). I primarily use the Google Analytics, Google Ads, Bing Ads, and Database connectors.

I use the MySQL connector to combine internal data with traffic data to create sort of a closed loop reporting system.

For multiple sites you can select several accounts in Analytics and pull them all in on one query, which can save you some time stitching things together in Google Sheets.

Degree
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but STDDIOT did not seem appropriate.

While writing posts in wordpress, I noticed a difference betweens "Posts" and "Pages".
I kept the time sensitive stuff in Posts, and transferred my Evergreen and pillar content to pages.
Now I noticed that Pages don't have categories. I'm seriously considering adding a plug-in to resolve this.
I'm just wondering how everyone else is handling this. I read everywhere that adding too many plugins is a bad idea, so I figured I'd better get some more insight.

Maybe people just removed the date stamps from their posts, and kept on posting?

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
@WinMore, that's basically a misuse of the intended Wordpress system.

Pages are for or can do:
  • for boilerplate content like About, Contact, Terms & Conditions, etc.
  • can have sub-pages, like .com/gloves/best-winter-gloves/
  • can have publish dates or not, up to you
Posts are for or can do:
  • for non-boilerplate content, like blog posts, news articles, etc.
  • can have categories, like .com/gloves/best-winter-gloves/
  • can have publish dates or not, up to you
I've seen a lot of people use pages and sub-pages to establish a "silo" structure. Everyone I've encountered doing that has come to regret it. It works that way if you want a "parent post" like /gloves/ and you don't know how to customize Wordpress's category templates.

If you're doing it just to separate Evergreen/Pillar content with posts that have time stamps, that's really not the way to do it. If your Pages don't have timestamps but your Posts do, that's unique to your theme and not anything to do with Wordpress itself.

The way I'd do it is create a function that stops the the_date() from firing in those categories that you don't want it in, or I'd create a child theme and customize the templates with "if loops" to make it only fire on certain categories.

Because now you have a compounding issue. I doubt your pages (not posts) are appearing in your category templates or in any "blog roll of posts" at all.

If you don't want to show dates to Google you have some work to do. If you want to hide them from users you could use some simple CSS to hide them without changing anything else.

If your pages and posts are using the permalink structure where it's just .com/slug/ then great. If you're having to do 301 redirects, I'd rewind everything you did and pursue this in a different way.

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
Yes, I also began working with pages, and they rank fine, but as Ryu says, that's working against Wordpress, not with it.

BCN

$$$$ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ $$$$
Degree
I think most will require you to expose the MySQL port, so something to think about. You can run a script server-side and connect to the database locally, and write to the google sheet i.e. in PHP or Python.

I'm sure there are other ways too, but I've never dealt with it.

Google Data Studio also has a connection for SQL.