The "No Dev Question is Stupid" Thread - Basic HTML / CSS / Etc.

Do any of you have the image "source" or "credit" displaying in a div over a corner of each image in WordPress?

CHRIS WHITE // GETTY IMAGES

I see a lot of larger media companies doing this. If you're doing the same on your site, how is it implemented? Do you use the Image Title field in WP to add that data to each image?

Do any of you have the image "source" or "credit" displaying in a div over a corner of each image in WordPress?

I see a lot of larger media companies doing this. If you're doing the same on your site, how is it implemented? Do you use the Image Title field in WP to add that data to each image?

Why would you do this?

The only reason I can figure is that the notorious scam company Getty Images is paying some of these media companies to use their images to tempt and entrap bots to copy their images.

Getty Images entire business model is suing people.

Although I agree with @bernard's low opinion of the company, there is a way for 'non-commercial' sites to embed Getty Images for free in a similar way to that you describe. I would think extremely carefully about this if you were considering doing it on a site which is obviously earning money from ads or affiliate links (even if 'everyone else is doing it').

(I imagine any company might be more than happy to get backlinks from major media outlets in exchange for images, whereas the reaction to a backlink from 'bestpetfood4iguanas.info' might be somewhat different.)

@bernard @ToffeeLa Let's not focus on the company, I just used them as an example of one that I was looking at when posting the message. We try to buy stock photos or use creative commons images but in many cases we're "borrowing" images as we want them to be very specific.

I want some sort of standard on how we credit the content creators, that is at least a "show of good faith" for crediting them. I'm not a lawyer but understand that this is how many larger media companies get away with using images that they don't own under the guise of fair use.

So our format might be:
{{NAME}} // {{COMPANY}}, or {{USERNAME}} // {{WEBSITE}}

For example:
{{@BERNARD}} // {{BUILDER SOCIETY}}

While it's not the most visually pleasing, you can just put the attribution in the image caption section. Maybe add some css if you want it over the image.

While fair use is simple in theory, it's complex in practice and those media companies have deep pockets to battle fair use claims in court.

All it takes is one person to feel infringed upon. If your goal is to build a authority brand and you don't have $$ to shell out if someone takes you to court, using other people's images under the guise of fair use could be troublesome.

Just to clarify, providing credit/attribution does not absolve you of liability with respect to copyright infringement (that is to say, you can still be sued), but it may help reduce the amount of damages awarded if you end up getting sued and lose. In other words, courts will generally be more lenient and award less damages to the copyright holder in cases where you (the defendant) can show a good faith effort to credit the copyright holder and direct users to the original source material.

Howdy, I have a question on cPanel metrics:

What's resource usage and its purpose? I can guess what it is but when I go into the cPanel dashboard it just shows random graphs and includes technical terms like I/O resources which I know nothing about...

I got an email from my hosting provider telling me that my resource usage is about to exceed its limit and I should upgrade my plan... What does this mean for my website?

Howdy, I have a question on cPanel metrics:

What's resource usage and its purpose? I can guess what it is but when I go into the cPanel dashboard it just shows random graphs and includes technical terms like I/O resources which I know nothing about...

I got an email from my hosting provider telling me that my resource usage is about to exceed its limit and I should upgrade my plan... What does this mean for my website?

Depends on which resource.

CPU: Shows the CPU usage - if this momentarily goes up and spikes, they won't send an email.

I/O: Read/write operations. They will contact you if this is consistently high. But I don't think this is likely the issue either.

"About to exceed the limit" indicates something that has been creeping up somewhat steadily, assuming they set up the alert text properly.
Disk space, bandwidth, server usage percentage and other such things are likely candidates. If you post the actual message and the graph, that will be more helpful.

Thank you for the response.

Here's some screenshots;

Main Dashboard for the Resource Usage page:

1SOKxjU.png

Then when I click on "Details" I'm navigated to a new dashboard under the "Current Usage tab" which has these sections:

LDs3y5h.png

r5E2CEh.png

zg9C92a.png

Also under the final tab, "Options" there's this:

lAm4o9G.png

So I guess that's what triggered the notification in the first place

I've also noticed that a day or two before I got the notifcation my WP site started to become really slow. The website itself and the WP dashboard as well. When I'm trying to do basic tasks like opening up settings or editing a blog post, it takes ages to go from one screen to another. I got this notification shortly after that so thought the speed issue might be related to this.

BWT the problem isn't my net or laptop as I can browse the net and do other stuff just fine.

P.S. This server hosts 3 sites - my main site project, another WP site with Elementor (remained untouched for about 8 months), and a third site which has WP installed but I haven't done anything but installed a theme on it.

Is there a quality WordPress plugin, or hook that I can use to list multiple contributors to a blog post? That is:

Written by: Firstname Lastname, Role
Medically reviewed by: Firstname Lastname, Certifications
Edited by: Firstname, Lastname, Role

Is there a quality WordPress plugin, or hook that I can use to list multiple contributors to a blog post? That is:

Written by: Firstname Lastname, Role
Medically reviewed by: Firstname Lastname, Certifications
Edited by: Firstname, Lastname, Role
Obviously late to the party here but do you already have these authors associated with posts in the metadata somehow? In other words, is there a place in the WP Edit Post screen where you've been entering these authors' names and roles, and you're just trying to display them? Or do you need the backend setup too? Should be simple enough to set up an ACF field to enter that info.

Displaying that info is probably more dependant on the theme you're using, which may or may not include a hook in the template at the right spot for you to add in the additional authors. You could also try using something like the the_author filter, but that could get tricky in other ways. You'd probably have to check a few conditions to make sure you're only showing the additional authors in the right place (eg on the single post template rather than say the actual post author's bio page, etc), but it may be an option if your theme doesn't have great hooks or you want to future-proof against theme changes.

Obviously late to the party here but do you already have these authors associated with posts in the metadata somehow? In other words, is there a place in the WP Edit Post screen where you've been entering these authors' names and roles, and you're just trying to display them? Or do you need the backend setup too? Should be simple enough to set up an ACF field to enter that info.

Displaying that info is probably more dependant on the theme you're using, which may or may not include a hook in the template at the right spot for you to add in the additional authors. You could also try using something like the the_author filter, but that could get tricky in other ways. You'd probably have to check a few conditions to make sure you're only showing the additional authors in the right place (eg on the single post template rather than say the actual post author's bio page, etc), but it may be an option if your theme doesn't have great hooks or you want to future-proof against theme changes.
Thanks, we've got a short term hacky solution for this using the_modified_author. It at least gives us 2 people per post, which is a step in the right direction.

What are coding noobs using to make programs for personal use these days? It used to be Visual Basic 20 years ago. I just want to make something simple for tracking content planning/distribution.

I'm reasonable but not pro at all at PHP, MySQL, C, C++ and Python.

Last edited:
What are coding noobs using to make programs for personal use these days? It used to be Visual Basic 20 years ago. I just want to make something simple for tracking content planning/distribution.

I'm reasonable but not pro at all at PHP, MySQL, C, C++ and Python.

For your use, you can do a lot with the Google Suite, particularly Google Sheets and Google Script, which has integrations for all of the google products. It's very much the VBA of our time. I also used to "code" in VBA.

The issue with going the google route is that there are hard usage limits and you can't really distribute it or make money from it, but from a personal use case, those custom Google Sheets are very efficient and easy to create.

I use a spreadsheet for my keyword research and content planning and pull in earning data and visitor data etc using a Sheets plugin.

Back