The "No Dev Question is Stupid" Thread - Basic HTML / CSS / Etc.

Degree
Like @SmokeTree says, go with what you know.

If this is for the Google sheets thing, then performance and / or library support aren't particularly relevent, since it's not much more than a proxy.
I'm just gonna write a script in PHP and let people self host it, since I think more people will be comfortable running their own script with logins and passes. So it will be a proxy as you say, just taking two parameters and being called from Google App Script. The only reason I need it in the first place is because I can't figure out how to get from a SOAP api with GAS. They deprecated their SOAP client and now you have to write the full request in xml and its basically impossible. So I'm just gonna write it in PHP and then explain to people they have to upload a php file to their own server and such.

Another question,
How possible would it be to pay someone on Fiverr to deploy a Django or Flask app, if I just write the models and the processing scripts (scraping and calculations), then have someone do the views as well?
Is this "standard fare" that can be outsourced (and maintained) easily, sort of like paying someone to install and update Wordpress?
I just find the routing, database, view part of Django and Flask to be a hassle.
Maybe I should just get into Drupal? Isn't that sort of a Wordpress except with no full customizability with regards to types?

Degree
If I was doing this, I would probably chose nodejs with koa, because it's very simple, has good library support, and performs well for this type of workload.
nodejs world moves too fast, std lib is horrible, you'll need to use npm packages like popping pills, node_modules bloat, poor security with npm packages needed for everything, no typing, poor deployment experience, horrible debugging experience. I find it hard to recommend nodejs to anyone nowadays.

How possible would it be to pay someone on Fiverr to deploy a Django or Flask app, if I just write the models and the processing scripts (scraping and calculations), then have someone do the views as well?
Is this "standard fare" that can be outsourced (and maintained) easily, sort of like paying someone to install and update Wordpress?
Expect low quality code. Writing code is a skill, an art-- if you will. It takes a lot of experience to write good maintainable code that is well tested. Fiverr is not where you find people that can do this, they're gonna skip on a lot of things. And when you eventually have to go in and fix it for yourself, you'll be giving yourself a headache.

What you can do, is to get someone to style a framework for you (bootstrap, bulma), and then you just copy/paste in the template code in the views.

Go and look for freelance web designers, there are plenty out there that are self-respecting enough to not go onto fiverr. Many would be open to take jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmokeTree

Developer/Linux Consultant
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
If I was doing this, I would probably chose nodejs with koa, because it's very simple, has good library support, and performs well for this type of workload.
I don't know how the quote in the post above this got attributed to me but I definitely didn't say that. I've been happy with Phoenix for the past 3 years or so. Before Phoenix I used Ruby/Rails and created quite a few apps with it, a couple which still run solidly today. Never was a fan of node for anything more than writing libraries and using it for command line utilities that I'm able to execute from Elixir or pretty much any lang I use these days.

Steve

BuSo Pro
Degree
@FIREman I said if I was doing it I would use node, not that it's the best choice.
You might note my second choice was a bloated, slow framework based on one of the most maligned main stream languages - php.
And my third choice a butt ugly 90's throwback with added memory safety.

My point was, and is, go with what you know.
I would chose koa, because this is a web proxy, something that node is very suitable for, and something I have written in it multiple times, so I could write, test and deploy it in a single session.

Re fiverr I agree, budget outsourced development rarely turns out well. Any outsourced dev work is hard to manage of you don't know exactly what you want, and what good code looks like. Going cheap only increases the likelihood of failure

Degree
Are there any particular lightbox / image viewers people can recommend? I find many to be a bit bloated and heavy, and I don't really want to use a Wordpress plugin for it either.

Degree
Anyone recommend a good resource for learning Google Data Studio?
I want to do some stuff like make numbers flash for a few seconds if the underlying data changes or even play a sound if a condition happens.

Degree
I have an upcoming project that I'm starting from scratch and I started to explore flat file CMS's. I'm not a developer by any means so looking to see if a flat file CMS would work for this project or just go with a traditional database type CMS application.

Looking to get some help/feedback about going with a flat file CMS:

1) Can you set up filtering? For example, let's just say the user is looking for a certain type of restaurant in the US. The user would need to be able to filter the following criteria: a) which state (example: New York), b) which city (example: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Rochester, etc) c) what type of food (example: Italian, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, American, etc).

Is this type of filtering possible?

2) Is there a way for a user (or competitor) to download my flat file database with all the information I've added. There will be hundreds (if not thousands) of entries/results and it will take me some time (and money) to build this database so I don't want someone to easily be able to steal it.

Again, I know a little code but would probably use a flat file CMS (such as Pico) so I can get this project off the ground quicker than trying to code everything myself.

BCN

$$$$ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ $$$$
Degree
Just generate the files from a database, and also make a small script to spit out an API of the items. Then you can get the best of both worlds. Statically rendered pages for stuff that "never" changes, and dynamic content via API you can manipulate on the frontend with any flavour of JS frameworks that can be added to static files as it runs in the client.

You will also have the benefits of integrity and relations from the DB.

Just make a small postgres DB. Then generate flatfiles, and then python or node (or AWS lambda) to give you API endpoints for filters with stuff like

Code:
[
{
    "ID" => 1,
    "title" => "Juicy content",
    "description" => "Juicy description",
    "url" => "/clickbait-me"
},
[...]
]
I made something like this once.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
@propipper, if they want to steal your data, they'll be able to do it without the database. They can scrape with xpath and regex and slurp it right on up. The only defense really is offense later, suing and getting them shut down for copyright infringement. Even if your data isn't unique, the presentation and organization of it is. You can leave some secret errors in there to catch people, like putting some erroneous nonsense in there like changing a city name to "Hamburger, PA" around multiple instances with different names. That kind of stuff will help you prove they ripped you off later.

But typically no. You'd be generating flat file HTML documents and only uploading those to your server, not the database you "ad-lib'd" out of.