The Newsstand (Discussions & Archive)

MetaData

BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
This thread is an archive of all the previous links that have been featured on the BuSo Newsstand. It will be updated as new links are added to the Newsstand, and will also serve as a place to discuss them. Agree with an article? Disagree with it? Have something to add? Here's the place.

The Newsstand features posts that we've stumbled across or that are submitted by you. We'll also feature projects by Builders from time to time if they're public. Don't be shy to submit your own content to be featured on the Newsstand either, we're always happy to support our members.

Note: This is not the place to suggest content for the Newsstand, please PM @The Engineer to make suggestions.

December 15, 2014 - The 9 Have Gathered
December 15, 2014 - 3 Ways to Grow an Affiliate Campaign
December 15, 2014 - Title Tag Doesn't Match Post Title?
December 18, 2014 - 30 Types of Attractive Content
December 22, 2014 - Movoto Makes All Things Viral
December 27, 2014 - The Wet Shave Club
January 3, 2015 - The Content Marketer's Secret Weapon
January 7, 2015 - Ugly Mess & Beautiful Recovery
January 10, 2015 - How Much Copy On Homepage?
January 16, 2015 - Jason Brown's Facebook Strategies
January 18th, 2015 - Painlessly Plan Your Next Project
January 22, ,2015 - Enrich Your SERP Results with GTM
January 27, 2015 - Ultimate Guide to Content Creation
February 2, 2015 - Six Figures a Year Without SEO?
February 13, 2015 - Polyfills to Support Older Browsers
February 22, 2015 - 6 Types of Website Buyers
March 12, 2015 - Analyzing Your Traffic Leak Target
March 27, 2015 - Analytics Analysis & Optimization
April 1, 2015 - The Seven Figure Flip Interview
April 13, 2015 - Post Titles that Bring Traffic
April 15, 2015 - Content Ideas That Win
April 19, 2015 - Scaling From 1k to 10k+
May 3, 2015 - Obvious Always Boosts Metrics
May 10, 2015 - Psychological Pricing Strategies
May 17, 2015 - Generating $3k+ in 13 Days Offline
June 23, 2015 - Custom Analytics Dashboards
July 29, 2015 - Data-Driven Viral Promotion
July 30, 2015 - Diminishing Returns, They Said...
September 10, 2015 - SEO Guide to Mammoth Earnings
September 24, 2015 - Outreach Platforms Compared
September 28, 2015 - 101 Lessons from 5 Years of SEO
November 5, 2015 - Evergreen Content Types
November 20, 2015 - 11,065% Organic Boost - Step by Step
January 3rd, 2016 - 6 NLP Principles to Power Up Your Copy
January 23rd, 2016 - 9 Website Credibility Killers
February 24, 2016 - Outbound Links as a Positive Rank Signal
March 15, 2016 - Tips & Tools for Better Headlines
March 30, 2016 - How to Write Viral Headlines
April 24, 2016 - Selective Organic Growth
June 13, 2016 - Statistics Traps in A/B Testing
October 6, 2016 - Ride the Viral Wake
October 18, 2016 - How to Migrate to HTTPS
October 27, 2016 - Facebook Fishing Formula
November 10, 2016 - +124% Revenue in 1 Week

May 23, 2017 - Gaps in the Patreon Market
October 10, 2017 - Sponsored Post Pitching
October 10, 2017 - Experts Weight In on SEO Heading Into 2018
October 26, 2017 - Shopify Growth Explosion Methods
November 9, 2017 - Domain Age Bullying Revealed
November 28, 2017 - SERPWoo Expert Roundup 2
February 28, 2018 - Copyright Infringement & DMCA Takedown
March 15, 2018 - How To Double Affiliate Revenue In Only 4 Months
April 11, 2018 - Merch by Amazon: 6 Figures per Year T-Shirt Business
April 16, 2018 - Faster Broken Link Building
July 6, 2018 -
The Link Bar, an Ecommerce Mobile Homepage Navigation Alternative
August 8, 2018 - Hacking Quora for SEO Growth
August 8, 2018 - Common Webpage Design Mistakes
August 8, 2018 - How to Perform an SEO Audit
September 25, 2018 -
Predicting Latent Keyword Intent
October 11, 2018 - Link Inversion & Content Hijacking
October 26, 2018 -
How Google Assesses Trust
October 29, 2018 - Natural Syndication Networks
January 22, 2019 -
14x Search Traffic in 8 Months
January 29, 2019 - Penalties - Expert Roundup
February 26, 2019 -
Reviving a Dead Site
March 6, 2019 - Ranking Huge Keywords in Record Time
March 18, 2019 -
Navigating Monopolized Search
March 21, 2019 - Exploiting Google for Millions
March 26, 2019 -
March '19 Core Update Breakdown
April 24, 2019 - SEO Flatliners - 1 Month Demotion
May 6, 2019 -
Preventing Crawler Traps
May 13, 2019 - Preparing for Algo Updates
May 21, 2019 -
Organic Traffic Plateaus
July 2, 2019 - June Algo Analysis
July 3, 2019 -
Credulity & SEO Influencers
July 29, 2019 - The 7 Best Posts to Learn SEO
August 15, 2019 - Portfolio's & Canonical Gifting
September 9, 2019 -
Syndicated Content Gone Wild
September 26, 2019 - eCom Cat Split Test
September 26, 2019 - Nonlinearity in SEO Marketing
October 10, 2019 - Social Proof Link Strategy
December 13, 2019 -
Anatomy of Top Performing Articles
January 7, 2020 - Blog Comments Boost Rankings
January 7, 2020 - Mass Outreach Email Analysis
May 15, 2020 -
Core Update Case Studies
May 30, 2020 - Leveraging Strategic Partnerships
June 14, 2020 -
Non-Success Stories
June 16, 2020 - Content Optimization Roundup
June 25, 2020 -
Canva Backlink Empire
July 20, 2020 - Bypass Tracking Pixel Blockers
August 5, 2020 - How Many Sites Pass the CWV?
October 29, 2020 -
WP / PHP 8 Compatibility Report
February 15, 2021 - Topical Authority Deep Dive
June 23, 2021 -
Easy On-Page SEO Guide

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this list. I was hoping there'd be an archive, because I know I miss some or want to revisit them.

December 15, 2014 -Title Tag Doesn't Match Post Title?
My personal thoughts on this went back to other studies I've read concerning PPC and Landers. This post along with the others have influenced the way that I design websites now. People tend to focus on not repeating certain pieces of content or want to change one to increase conversions but what that does is create an incongruency between the current location and the destination.

For example, if a PPC visitors clicks an ad that has the title "The World's Best Hammer" and then the landing page has a title that says "What Do You Do When You Need to Smack That Nail Down?", you'd think that leading question type of headline would snag the user and keep them on page longer and incite their desires and fears through copywriting, but what it actually does is confuse them before they've even started reading. The basic lesson is don't break conventions so hard that your users get confused, or you lose them, they bounce, and they don't convert. This was a great post.

December 18, 2014 -30 Types of Attractive Content
All I could think about as I read this was... this is the blueprint on repurposing content for different audience channels. You could copy and paste the list of types, and attach items like "Youtube/Vimeo", or "Instagram/Facebook" to them, and create a literal workflow for each piece you publish on your site. Just go down the list and repurpose and post on the other channels and you're golden. Don't give away the whole show though, make them want to click over to your site for the full ordeal. Great post.

January 3, 2015 -The Content Marketer's Secret Weapon
This, combined with the post above and below this one, combine into some holy trinity of content optimization. In my mind, this plugin they are talking about in this post is one of the most valuable tools I've ever encountered. I want to buy it, strip it of functionality, and create a super efficient version for myself. That's how much it inspired me.

More valuable than the data you're earning (because you're actually losing traffic here and there more than gaining at first) is that you're actually doing cognitive-behavioral training of a sort. Before long, you're going to intuit what the best title is of your first batch, and then add variations of that one. You'll START with better title and be able to split-test ideas branched from that, rather than going A/B, and then B/C. You can jump straight to B/C testing, from that frame of reference. This post is 100% gold to anyone who bothers to read and take action.

December 22, 2014 -Movoto Makes All Things Viral
I had to save this one for last. There's nothing new in this post, and it was still the most impactful. If you haven't read it, read it today. It will blow your mind once you realize what kind of company Movoto is, the type of content they are putting out, and the results they are getting. They are competing against the top "viral social posts" publishers out there, and their actual product/service is so far out in left field that you'd never believe it. This showed me that ANY SITE in ANY NICHE can get the big results for traffic, SEO, social proof, etc. There are absolutely zero excuses. Combine this post with the two above it and it's game over.

In an unprecedented move, we've had to take down @eliquid's interview because the information was deemed too juicy for public consumption (I'm guessing, because the link was broken). Mr. Liquid, feel free to hit me up via PM if you'd like to have a post from leanvertising put up there in the future.

Good news for the folks over at fizzle.co who had their seat kept warm for them.

January 18th, 2015 - Painlessly Plan Your Next Project

Sorry guys, I requested that David at affplaybook take it down temp. because it was getting posted at other forums ( not this one ) and bringing in way too much of the wrong type of attention.

I will prob. put it back up later when things have cooled down.

Id be willing to do a podcast just for BuSo though...

you guys tell me what you want to know/hear and Ill set something up with @MetaData

December 18, 2014 -30 Types of Attractive Content
All I could think about as I read this was... this is the blueprint on repurposing content for different audience channels. You could copy and paste the list of types, and attach items like "Youtube/Vimeo", or "Instagram/Facebook" to them, and create a literal workflow for each piece you publish on your site. Just go down the list and repurpose and post on the other channels and you're golden. Don't give away the whole show though, make them want to click over to your site for the full ordeal. Great post.

Hey, thanks for the kind words @Ryuzaki . We wanted to create a resource for anyone who was short on new ideas for content. You're completely right, if you use that post as a checklist of what you want on your site, you will be sitting pretty in a few short months. I don't think anyone can deny that.

If any of you guys have ideas for content-related topics/questions that you want covered, just let me know and I'll do the research and include it in our next blog post - with a few special extras just for BuSo.

I saw this on Reddit just now and had a chuckle. It reminded me of the post above:

Notice the URL versus the Title:

Q3xnFG0.png

Added - February 13, 2015 - Polyfills to Support Older Browsers

Ways to ensure older browsers such as I.E. 8 and below can handle some newer CSS attributes, media queries, and more.

February 22, 2015 - 6 Types of Website Buyers

The Empire Flippers team (@Joe Magnotti and @Justin Cooke) brings us a great write-up on the psychology of website buyers, giving you insight on your own position, whether you are looking to buy or sell. Well worth a read.

March 12, 2015 - Analyzing Your Traffic Leak Target

This post explains how to take a target site that flows a lot of traffic (specifically Buzz Feed here), and how to use data analysis to increase your ability to maximize your leakage. You don't have to get lucky when you have the bird's eye overview.

Read this a few days back. Really insightful. worth reading again and again.

March 27, 2015 - Analytics Analysis & Optimization

15 Ways to gain actionable data from Google Analytics (and others) quickly and efficiently without making the common mistakes that lead to misinformed decision making.

April 13, 2015 - Post Titles that Bring Traffic

A list of 13 types of blog post titles that feed on the interests and insecurities of your potential readers and draw in larger amounts of traffic.

Back