Spinning Unique Content

Degree
Hello Everyone,

I have been building micro niche city specific websites to generate my own leads. It has done well for me. And as far as I am concerned it is a passive way to generate leads and calls. Most of my business is referrals which involves a ton of networking, cold calling etc.

All I did was create one wordpress site, copy it, buy a new domain, upload the copied site and they just replaced the city in the content. These sites, about 35 of them, all rank really well. On a local search level there is very little competition except in "big" cities. To give you an idea out of 230 search terms I am targeting on a local level, 1 site I am tracking has 70 search terms in top 3, and 158 in the top 10. That is with a handful of directory listings. LOL Most of my sites I have done no link building at all.

The niche is microscopic. Gets very little searches and the sites themselves get very little traffic. If my stats continue the way they are I will close 3 maybe 4 deals off of these sites in a year. But that would generate $18K to $30K in revenue.

Anyway, I want to sell the system to others in my niche. When I say system, I mean a complete turnkey site with content, images, videos, plugins etc. There would be training on everything from buying a domain, setting up hosting, uploading the site etc.

I am limiting the amount of these systems that I am selling too.

The issue is that if more than one person per city has the site then they probably won't rank since it is duplicate content.

So, I need to use spun content. And in an effort to make this as turnkey as possible I am having a plugin being developed that would spin all the content with the click of a button.

What I am struggling with at the moment is how much to spin the content.

My thought was just to re-write the paragraphs of each page 3 to 5 times for spinning so that each page would be fairly unique compared to others that may be targeting that same city.

Do you think that would be enough?

Or do you think I need to get down to the sentence and word level too?

I am sure I am over thinking this. But I look forward to your thoughts.

Also, all of these sites will use an overlay like X-ray Serp or something else along those lines. Yes, there is a very good reason they will need to use an overlay, it is for compliance and legal reasons. In other words the content does not need to be perfect, but I don't want junk on these sites either.

Let me make sure I'm getting this straight. You're going to create database sites with spun content and then cloak it from Google so they see the spun content and then you'll deliver the user a different experience entirely?

I would strike while the iron is hot. Google is going to clamp down on spinning eventually, if they haven't already to a certain degree. But even more so now that they got embarrassed yet again by an SEO who won some contest to see who could rank for a real term. He won, ranking in the US for something like 'texas rhinoplasty' using Latin content with the English keyword inserted in the right places. Maybe it wasn't lorem ipsum and made sense in Latin, but still.

I'd have thought you'd need to go lightly on the word level and then hit the sentence level too, until the guy ranked with Latin content.

I'd worry less about the spun content and more about cloaking. I can't imagine that won't get found out eventually. I can't count the number of amazing domains I've bought that were penalized for cloaking.

Thanks Future State.

You nailed it on the head as to what I am doing.

Yes, I am fully aware that I am playing with fire on this. Quite honestly, I would prefer not to cloak / overlay, spin or game the system at all. But it is what I have to do to make this work, have any presence locally and generate any business online.

I am not allowed to even have my own website as are most in my field that work for a company of any size. The only reason I can even do this is because corporate can control what the user / visitor sees. Hell, I can't even have a Youtube channel.

The sites I have, have been up for over 8 months now. They keep chugging along. Every once in a while a site will drop out of the SERPS for a couple weeks, but they bounce right back.

The lead generators in this space are doing the same thing as I am but in a more economical way, they are using subdomains, but they are not cloaking.

I don't recommend doing this, However there are multiple software out there that do what you want already:

1. SERP.farm
2. SERPShaker
3. Mass Page Builder
4. Magicpage​

Go forward at your own peril.

Thank you CCarter.

The sites I am building are not mass page sites. They are single sites targeting a single city. They are only about 15 pages.

I used SERPShaker several years ago, but stopped using it because all my sites kept getting deindexed, usually within a few months. It was a good lesson in futility. HA!

I am not sure why what I am proposing is any different than turnkey sites provided by Web companies in various niches. They all use the same content and typically the only difference on those sites is the about page and the NAP.

There is one such company in my niche where if i took a single sentence and searched for it with quotes, I can find every single person that has a website from this company.

I am not trying to argue with anyone on here as you all are much smarter than me. Just trying to understand and get insight from you all.

Google will rank syndicated articles without spinning. We've seen that a million times with press releases. It sounds like you don't want to spin and it's working for you at the moment. I'm not sure you're going to get $18k - $30k revenue from selling another turnkey spam system though. You might, but you'll burn your method too. If it's working so good, why not expand into different niches and hit the same cities again, or different cities and more niches. There's tons of lead gen where you don't have to nurture the lead at all. It gets submitted and you get paid.

Used to do this with serpshaker years back.. for pay per call and other stuff. I still have a few of them that drip some commissions into cj.com each month for various things. Most of them dropped off the radar entirely and I took them down, but there is one, in a niche with similar tiny competition as you described, and its been ranking top page for the majority of city stuff for a couple of years. Although the only way to make them convert is to get a decent CTA right up top somewhere, because if they decide the read the page, they'll think an alien wrote it lol

Thank You Future State

I would have to get licensed in other states to use this system. I prefer to stay in my own state and work with people locally.

There are no other niches for this. It is a single niche.

There are no affiliate, pay per lead or pay per call programs.

And I can't sell leads unless I am licensed in the state I am selling leads in and revenue share on completed sales is illegal.

I was thinking having a turn key system would be preferable to potential buyers as they really would not need to do much to get it up and running. Spend maybe 10 to 20 minutes per site setting it up.

But maybe it would be better to sell a "how to" course and let the buyers create their own content. This would be a one time fee.

Or

Sell it as a license and only one person per state can use it. One time fee with a reasonable monthly licensing fee.

Either way, it gets me away from having to spin the content. Plus there would be less of a chance of burning the method with too much competition.

Thank you Bernard.

That brings me back to selling this as a "how to course" which it would then be up to the buyer to get their own content created.

Maybe the "how to course" is really the way that this needs to go. I could provide pre-written content that is optimized, which they could either re-write or hire someone to re-write.

I personally don't have the time to deal with providing unique content for each buyer. Plus it would severely limit scalability (is that even a word). In other words, I don't want to have to make a sale and then hire a writer to provide the uniqueness.

Is it really that hard to get content created though? Textbroker or similar can get it very streamlined or hire @stackcash to do it for you. I'm sure it's possible to pay to get it setup without you having to involved. Keep in mind that you can markup the content as well. You seem to know what you're doing, so just consider this devils advocate.

Here is a quick free tool that might help some of you guys out that need "paraphrasing": Paraphrasing Tool

I tried it on some content and it's pretty decent so it can replace some of these spun content subscriptions out here, if people are still into that.

Where are they now?

Thought I would just give an update as to what is happening with my sites and this idea, not that anybody cares. LOL!

It's been almost 2.5 years since my original post.

The bulk majority of my sites are still kicking along, ranking well and driving business/leads/calls/form submits. Ended up the #2 sales rep in the company last year. The only rep that beat me has a huge team. And the next closet rep I beat in volume by almost 40%. And I am on track to to surpass my volume from last year by about 25%.

As you can imagine I was burned out at the end of the year trying to do everything myself. So, I am building a team as well. I just hired my first assistant which will probably allow me to increase my sales another 50% to 100% over last year.

The sites that are not doing so hot are ones that I tried some stupid stuff on, i.e. redirect expired domains to home page, building PBN's on expired domains which were rebuilt scraping from Wayback (they looked like shit), testing various SEO services etc., again, stupid stuff that I knew better.

Here is my plan at this point:
  • Get licensed in other states. I will probably only get licensed in about 3 other states.

• Hire content writers because if I have to spin one more article I think the devil may take my soul. The good news here is that I probably only need about 150 articles as I would be able to use those articles to build 2 to 3 sites per state to cover towns/cities of 10,000 population or higher In other words, make sites that covers regions of the state vs gigantic sites that cover the entire state.

I will use the same articles on each site but just swap out the cities and states. I have tested this with over 40 city specific sites and I have not had a problem. Not saying I won't have a problem in the future. I get that there are risks, especially with overlaying. I would liken this to turnkey industry sites where everyone has the same site but just the address, company name, phone etc. are swapped out.

I want to be clear. I don't like doing black hat stuff, spinning, overlays etc. and I understand it is risky. But it is the only way for me to get local targeted search traffic affordably. And I have compliance hand cuffs which pretty much kills anything else I would want to do besides this.
  • Follow CCarter's avalanche method. My plan is to link up based on population, not on KGR because even in the big cities I checked, KGR's only run at about .30. Small towns won't need any links because no one targets them. But as the population increases so does the competition from local and national providers as well as lead gen companies. I think following this method I will dominate SERPS for those bigger cities which means more leads.

I also get this is not the true avalanche method as I won't have sites that are 20 layers deep with 600 pages. I would have to get really creative to make this work with that kind of depth as the KW's on a local level would easily cannibalize themselves. Plus some states don't even have that many cities in them.

• I'll have to order social shares because I won't be able to have accounts for compliance reasons. (Don't ask, LOL!) I shouldn't even do that but I gotta do what I gotta do.

• Sprinkle outreach links, niche edits throughout the avalanche from the bottom to the top.

• Do some traffic leaks which may just help with link diversification than actual traffic.

Other opportunities:

People really, really want to work with someone local and face to face. I have had people hang up on me because I was 2 hours away from them. Even though I am a subject matter expert and have even written two books about it. Is this everyone? No. But I can tell you it is a much easier sale and process when the clients are local.

The way I am looking at this is if I am finding it hard to convert these leads because I don't live by them or even in the same state, I could easily turn these into rank and rent sites. Rent the city pages in a particular county to a local sales rep. I would use the overlay for this as I would for my own site.

I would easily be able to get $500 or more per month form each site. Just 1 sale from the site would more than cover the cost of the rental for an entire year. I really don't think it would be hard to sell the rank and rents as I can almost guarantee you that if I called another sales rep, they would want to talk to me to see why I am calling. I also know they are all desperate for leads, especially exclusive leads.

If these work the way that I think they will, I may even build in other states I don't want or can't get licensed in and go the rank and rent route that way. This could be some nice passive income.

And finally, assuming these sites stand the test of time and various algorithmic updates this could be a great exit plan. Sell the sites to regional or big national companies. Or if I am renting them, sell them to site buyers / investors assuming they would even want something like this.

Hopefully I will update this thread in another year to two and let you know how this all turned out, for better or worse.

Back