SEMRush Data is Cray

Degree
Anyone else seeing a major dip on reported traffic on SEMRush? - seeing wacky results across a ton of sites.

I see it too, and it doesn't correlate with a dip in my actual traffic analytics or in Ahrefs. Ahrefs has recently adjusted their traffic estimates (too? Maybe SEMRush is doing this but not historically) and their numbers can be really bonkers (incredibly low, like a fraction of a fraction low) on some sites.

So saw this yesterday from Serptrust but they posted the following:
Code:
https://www.serptrust.io/blog/traffic-analysis-comparison-ahrefs-vs-semrush-vs-serpstat/

TL;DR

The results​

Ahrefs: they perform worst of all because GSC traffic estimates are on average 4.03 times higher.

Semrush: second best as GSC traffic estimates are only 2.53 times higher.

SerpStat: surprisingly comes out of the winner, they have the tendency to over-estimate a lot and that’s helping them here as GSC is only 1.305 times higher.

---

Sample size is pretty small in the grand scheme of things only being 56 sites but still something to look at in comparison to actual GSC data.

I see it too, and it doesn't correlate with a dip in my actual traffic analytics or in Ahrefs. Ahrefs has recently adjusted their traffic estimates (too? Maybe SEMRush is doing this but not historically) and their numbers can be really bonkers (incredibly low, like a fraction of a fraction low) on some sites.
Yeah seen it this morning and nearly shit but then checked others and its almost the exact same pattern of drop across all the sites I looked at.

I noticed Ahrefs slashed their estimates by 50% or something. Was just googling it this morning and no info about what happened. It's funny/strange because they were way undershooting before already on the 20K - 300K/mo range, so if anything doubling would have brought them closer. There should be some correction at least to this. Time to whip out my old Serpstat appsumo lifetime account lol.

Yeah ahrefs is whack too. I should be rekt according to them.

So saw this yesterday from Serptrust but they posted the following:
Code:
https://www.serptrust.io/blog/traffic-analysis-comparison-ahrefs-vs-semrush-vs-serpstat/

TL;DR

The results​

Ahrefs: they perform worst of all because GSC traffic estimates are on average 4.03 times higher.

Semrush: second best as GSC traffic estimates are only 2.53 times higher.

SerpStat: surprisingly comes out of the winner, they have the tendency to over-estimate a lot and that’s helping them here as GSC is only 1.305 times higher.

---

Sample size is pretty small in the grand scheme of things only being 56 sites but still something to look at in comparison to actual GSC data.
We've always found serpstat by FAR the closest of them all when we have access to the real traffic stats. Often AHREFS was 10-20x lower than the real site traffic etc. But people just are so obsessed with AHREFS these days. SEMRush def better than AHREFS but like you say still a good few multiples out.

but wut if search console is also bunk just in more sneaky less obvious ways. :evil:

Cereal question for guys that like trying to try and look up other peoples traffic as part of their research process. Would you rather have an extrapalotron number thats closish but has very little real world explanation other than muh ML model or a lower number that's obviously less big picture true but underlying directional information revealed in clearish ways you can go investigate yourself.

I'm not sure if everyone is comparing these tools to the google keyword tool.

Multiple google ad reps of mine have told me that the google keyword search tool is old as balls and not to be trusted. :wonder:

We've always found serpstat by FAR the closest of them all when we have access to the real traffic stats. Often AHREFS was 10-20x lower than the real site traffic etc. But people just are so obsessed with AHREFS these days. SEMRush def better than AHREFS but like you say still a good few multiples out.
Agree with you.

I used to be a regular Ahrefs user. Now ditched it for Semrush. At least I don't have to worry about credit limits while doing KW research. Better SV data too.

I have serpstat LTD. Looks like it's time to use them again.

Is the Pro plan in Semrush similar to the legacy standard plan in Ahref? In terms of keyword research and competitive analysis.

The last update on Ahref is awful

Back