Search Traffic Showing as Direct

Degree
Hi - I have been doing a lot of link building to a site and traffic is on the up from search, however, overall traffic is flying high too. it is showing as direct traffic that is on the increase, however, I am cynical as it has doubled. There is no way its branded or anything liek that.

I did read in the past that natural search traffic could show as direct, was this issue ever fixed? Also I think a lot of people are using private browsing when they come to my site, could this be impacting those numbers?

Thanks!

Degree
I don't have a good answer for you Frog but I feel as though I've been seeing this as well. Has yours been from June 4 (algo update) onwards?

Degree
I saw the spike around 5th may but that was around the time I made quite a few changes to the site to improve the natural traffic

Degree
Check discover traffic on search console. It shows as direct on Analytics.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Traffic from social media that is coming through social media browsing apps (like Facebook, Reddit, etc.) will be marked as direct. Maybe that's a part of it.

Degree
Yep Ryu is onto something here. I knew that Instagram used to do this but yesterday I ran a "successful" leak on Reddit and had 63 direct sessions, 13 social from Reddit. That many direct sessions is a lot more than average so I'm confident the bulk came from Reddit.