S&P 500! Stock Market trading — Tesla, Amazon, META, others

GNews

White Hat Genius
BuSo Pro
Degree
Who made moves on META before the jump?

I'm more into cryptos but the META news has me jealous a bit!

META is up on shaky volume. I'm going to have to see some major volume/support at $180 to see this new level taken seriously, otherwise it's a pump. If it dips below that more than like $7 or so, look for mean reversion towards 150 if it doesn't pop right back up. This doesn't look like it will hold currently. I personally don't play looks like this, there's no confirmation of uptrend, I need to see it dip back and bounce/refuel. I'll sit and wait till the news hype and all wears off and this thing dips back below $180 cause without more news, that's what's going to happen IMO.

I bought meta in June thinking, "Has this company really changed in such a fundamental way that it's worth half as much as it was a few months ago?"

Then I doubled up in November with the same thought when it tanked again. Similar idea with Peloton around $7, and Shopify around $40 CAD.

Holding onto things for now (but I took a bit off the top this week) until I feel like people are getting a bit too optimistic, then I'll sell a chunk back into cash and wait until people are acting irrationally doom and gloom again.

I'm not super keen on thinking I can beat the market picking individual stocks in the long term, especially when I'm just going off "feels" so I keep most of my portfolio in XEQT, I never want to get lucky on a few picks and start drinking my own kool aid or turning this into some astrology nonsense.

But yeah, things have been pretty good lately lol

Does anyone here rake profits when there's a major gain?

Does anyone here rake profits when there's a major gain?
Every time profit is at least 3.5% or so, I set a stop to protect that profit. As the price moves in a favorable direction, I move the stop too. Unless the levels are clear and the thing is moving, I'm going to get out of it at the first sign of barcoding and get back in on confirmation of movement. If for some reason news breaks and people are riding the hype either direction, I'm looking at RSI, volume profile and previous levels hard to help forecast when (not if) it will crash.

I'm in up for long term on VVWCE, S&P500 and Cloudflare. I dont care about meta, i dont trust them.

Amazon or Nothing. They are even taking over South America now.
My entry for AMZN is $83. It's one of the blue chips stocks I'm concentrating on. For a long term hold in the long direction anything under $100 is fantastic IMO.

My entry for AMZN is $83. It's one of the blue chips stocks I'm concentrating on. For a long term hold in the long direction anything under $100 is fantastic IMO.

You think we have a drop coming?

You think we have a drop coming?
I'm looking at the $94.30 level currently. Volume isn't super strong in buy direction currently. This is the point where news/hype can kick the price up real fast (fundamental catalyst). I'm looking for a test of $93 and possible break under unless there's some kind of news that can give this a kick. If this runs again, $97 is going to be a pretty big wall on the way to try to break $100 again, which I'm about 99.9999% positive it will within the next 1-2 months and probably closer to about 2-3 weeks. Most things will depend on what kind of lies and bullshit both political street gangs can conjure up and what people actually believe. Too much of this economy situation is artificial inflation and magic cup games.

I bought meta in June thinking, "Has this company really changed in such a fundamental way that it's worth half as much as it was a few months ago?"

Then I doubled up in November with the same thought when it tanked again. Similar idea with Peloton around $7, and Shopify around $40 CAD.

Somebody PM'd me to request an update...

PERMISSION TO RAMBLE: GRANTED.

I'm up about 35% since the sky supposedly began falling last year. I'm not saying it's smooth sailing from here on out, but the gains are a nice cushion regardless, rather than having sat on the sidelines trying to time a perfect entry point.

TAX SHIT

There's a new account in Canada called a FHSA where you can write-off your yearly contributions, up to 40k total (8k/yr) and you don't pay tax on whatever growth you manage to pull out, as long as it goes towards a home purchase within 15 years. Beyond that, there's a TFSA where you don't pay tax on the money when you withdraw it, and a RRSP where you don't pay tax on your contributions but you do pay tax when you withdraw. The FHSA is the best of both worlds.

taxed on contributions taxed on withdrawals
FHSAnono
TFSAyesno
RRSPnoyes

PS if you don't end up buying a house, I think the FHSA just converts to RRSP. Choosing between TFSA vs RRSP comes down to "Is my income going to be higher when I withdraw, or lower?" Anywoo, 98% of people won't care about that and the other 2% probably already know it.

STOCK UPDATES

Sold most of my $90-$180 META for around $310 (and chunks of it leading up to that, too, like at $240, $280 iirc), just kept a little taste at this point, no plans on buying more.

Sold most of my $7 Pelaton around $12 iirc (might have been $10). It's around $6 now. Thought of dipping my toes back in. They got slammed with a huge recall which lead to a lot of subscription cancellations, but it's a very seasonal business so if they do anything even remotely decent around the holidays, might be some gains there. I'd only buy a little bit for the memes, if anything at all. They had a bunch of layoffs, store closures, so at least the bleeding might slow down. They'll be burning money at a reduced speed, but money is more expensive and they have tons of debt still... eh, idk.

Over the past year and a bit, I would buy or sell 20-40% of my position in Shopify at a time, whenever it would go up or down by $10ish, to grind out some extra money and take some risk off the table. I was sitting at 60% of my initial position after it last touched $90 about a month ago and I cashed in 40% of what I had, but I bought back in fully last week for around $75, and it's chillin at $89 again today. They made a deal with Amazon to offer "Buy with Prime" buttons on Shopify stores. I wonder if Amazon is thinking of acquiring them?

I have a decent chunk (maybe 30%) of my portfolio in "cash" at the moment earning about 5.39% (cash.to on the TSX, specifically). It's an ETF that holds high interest savings accounts at a number of different banks. Worth it for the 0.21% fee to not have to jump around finding the best promo rates myself. That's about 14 years to double my money at that rate.

Other than that, it's still boring XEQT and some Canadian banks.

I'm down about 5-6% on my bank stocks, but their yields break me even. I'm hoping they continue to drop so I can lock in some even higher yields. I see it as buying income with upside potential on the share price. Our banks are very highly regulated. They're all down, and some are paying 6%+ yields.

I've been picking up Enbridge as well below $50 for that 7.5% yield, not a lot of room for growth but they print money and if they can maintain the dividend, it'll take less than 10 years to double this money.

Same with the Canadian bank dividends hitting 6%+, that's 12 years to double my investment even if the share prices were to stay flat.

MOVING FORWARD

All of my dividend payments get put into XDIV so that I can keep track and earn dividends on my dividends. XDIV is a collection of banks, telecoms, energy, etc - basically the biggest industries in Canada that pay decent yields. I'm definitely over-exposed to Canada at the moment, and banks in particular.

My goal is to keep feeding the moose until I can live off of the dividends, inshallah .

I'm about 15% of the way there. I'm not strictly chasing yields at the moment (hence the cash at 5%, the Shopify, and the divs being reinvested into something that only pays about 4%), I'm still looking for growth as well, which is why stuff like XEQT and XDIV are a nice middleground.

Also, the "XX years to double my money" estimates up there are off, since I'm taking stuff that pays 5-7% yield and compounding it into something that pays 4% (but has more upside in terms of growth. Maybe).

It might be smarter to ignore dividends and go strictly for growth since I have a long timeline, but I'm not a financial advisor and you shouldn't listen to me. It's fun to get dividend payments.

DISCLAIMER: I AM RETARDED
MORE RETARDED THAN SOMEONE WHO STRICTLY BUYS LOW FEE INDEX FUNDS
LESS RETARDED THAN THE GME MEMERS​

Back