CCarter

Final Boss ®
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Digital Strategist
Degree
QWuc9uf.gif

Let the games begin!

Pinterest is no longer banning affiliate links on its service, after decreeing more than a year ago that it did so to prevent spammers from abusing those links. The company today updated its policy to reflect this change, saying that it has improved its spam detection to better remove any bad content and that it will be “rolling out all affiliate networks today and over the coming weeks.”

In February 2015, Pinterest warned “power pinners” that it was “automatically removing all affiliate links, redirects, and trackers on pins.” At the time, the company said that it “observed affiliate links and redirects causing irrelevant pins in feeds, broken links, and other spammy behavior. We believe [the ban] will enable us to keep the high bar of relevancy and quality pinners expect from Pinterest.”

If you posted such a link, Pinterest said that its systems would block it and thereby prevent the landing page from loading. Now you can resume posting affiliate links without any changes.

Adelin Cai, the company’s head of policy, told VentureBeat that Pinterest wants to enable good use cases of affiliate links. “We know there are good influencers out there,” she said emphasizing that the service was “not anti-affiliate.” The process to create these links hasn’t changed, she said, “as long as you don’t share spam or engage in spam behavior.” Cai explained that Pinterest has been spending the past year working on improving automation and human review of links to eliminate the spammy affiliate experience.

The company thinks this support will particularly benefit users outside of the U.S. Cai said that the re-enabling of affiliate links will help grow local markets, allowing users in the region to create content that’s relevant to the people there. “We want to get local influencers to stretch their content out on the platform,” Cai remarked.

And as Pinterest continues to grow its international audience, which is where most of its users are already coming from, affiliate links could play a big role.

Sauce: Pinterest lifts affiliate link ban after improving spam detection technology

I know 2 guys who were banking a nice 5 figures a months in the earliest days of Pinterest with spam affiliate and bots.

It won't be as easy now, but more latitude is always good news.

Opportunists engage!

But... No. #stayfocusedbro

Allowed, after Pinterest rolls out their advertising platform. :wink:

I know 2 guys who were banking a nice 5 figures a months in the earliest days of Pinterest with spam affiliate and bots.

Where do you find a tute on how to use bots to do this stuff?

I have no idea. But, what they were doing was taken down anyway. It was during the first year Pinterest became known

A few questions for those people who are doing affiliate sales through Pinterest . . .

1. How many followers did you have before you started to see a decent return on your affiliate Pins?

2. How many affiliate Pins do you post daily?
2A. What percentage of your overall Pins would you say are affiliate links?

Thanks.

There seems to be some confusion as to whether or not Amazon Associate links are allowed on Pinterest. Most say no, yet I just read this:

NOTE: You CAN now put AMAZON affiliate links on Pinterest! Yay!

Update 9/1/16: I phoned Amazon’s Affiliate program support and Samantha told me you can use links on Pinterest. Yay! To learn how to be compliant (yes, there are rules), go here and follow the simple steps.

Is anyone here using Amazon on Pinterest without issue?

Thanks for sharing that, Jared. I've only placed a couple Amazon ads on my Pinterest page so far but good to see that we are allowed to continue doing it.

Back