Newbie Question(s) so dumb, you're afraid to even ask!

Hi Zoro,

Here are my answer to your three questions :-

1) Out of the three questions you have asked, first one is not very clear. As you want to offer the ebook for free on your website, it is entirely upto you to make it a copyrighted one or not. In both case, it will be free and accessible to your readers. In my personal opinion, you should not allow the material in the ebook to be copied and used by anyone for any commercial or promotional purpose. For the second part of your question i.e. the site to use for free downloadable stuff like these, you should use your own website to host the file for the ebook. It is the most common norm for such types of lead magnates.

2) I assume that your website is built on wordpress. You can use any of the pop up plugins like Optinly, Optinmonster or Fluent Form to create a popup offering the ebbok. In case it is not built on wordpress, you may use any other pop up script (I think Optinly has such option) to offer the ebook through a pop up. Once the visitor enters his email address and click the submit button, you can redirect him to another page on your website where they can download the file.

3) To get the ability to autosend the ebook to the email address of the visitor, you need to set up an email service provider (any free option will do in most cases for upto 500 contacts). This way wehenver someone enter his email and press the submit button, his email is added to the email list at the server of email service provider and an auto email is sent to the visitor's email with the download link. You may use a combination of any popup script with any decent email provider like Mailchimp, Convertkit, Encharge, Sendinblue etc to accomplish this.

The above are pointers in the direction you need to take. Setting up such lead magnate is definitely work and has a learning curve, But once done, it is all mostly automatic.

I hope this helps.
Thank you so much for your reply, I have a wordpress site and I have a popup but I can´t get it to work lol. Any idea what to search on, on youtube for a tutorial? Or a link to such a guide?
I know it´s lazy asking but Im not sure what to look for lol.

Thank you so much for your reply, I have a wordpress site and I have a popup but I can´t get it to work lol. Any idea what to search on, on youtube for a tutorial? Or a link to such a guide?
I know it´s lazy asking but Im not sure what to look for lol.
Please create a free account on Optinly(.)com. Then download there free wordpress plugin and install & activate it. Do all the desigining in the Optinly dashboard and you will get a popup in no time. They have a huge list of integration with most of the email service providers. In case you are stuck, feel free to ask here.

Hello,

I'm new here and have a question about using Youtube for the Seo of a website. I have an art/travel-related website and it has continuously gone down since last September.

It has been a reverse stepped pyramid with every time a chunk of traffic being lost after a Google update. The overall result is from 100K+ pageviews to less than 30K pageviews today.

After analysing things and reading the thread by @Ryuzaki I can only conclude the EEAT factors are killing my site. The content is fine and should compete on the first page with my competitors. I use fake writer profiles without credentials and my social media presence is non-existent.

I recently started a Youtube channel and want to use this to show "expertise," which is what I believe is needed to increase the level of trust in Google's eyes.

I have about 20 videos now and embedded them into related posts of about 50 articles. I would like to know what more I can do to increase EEAT signals and improve the rankings of all my articles.

In short, what are some actionable steps to use a Youtube channel to increase EEAT signals on a website?

Thanks so much!

In short, what are some actionable steps to use a Youtube channel to increase EEAT signals on a website?

Thanks so much!

I hope someone gives you a better answer, but honestly, I don't know if there are any surefire ways to get EEAT signals.

I think doing what you're doing now is the right way. I'd also add, if you feel comfortable with it, then start blogging and Youtubing under your own name. Get your own name to become an "entity" in Google, so that when people google your name it should say "Travel blogger", like try to google "guy from best ever food review show" and it will turn up as Will Sonbuchner.

Which means that he is an entity with Google. You don't even need his name or his full show name, Google understands contextually who he is.

I would think this is the way to do it. You need to be present on all kinds of formats and websites with a name and really build that name.

I have a dumb question I feel like I'm overthinking. Let's say for example I'm making a site about tools, like power tools and hand tools. Would you suggest creating a category for Tools/Power Tools and then create a sub category for the brands like "Milwaukee", "Dewalt", "Ryobi", etc? If I make a post about Dewalt power drills it will be Tools(or Power Tools) > Dewalt > Post

Not sure if Tools > Power Tools > Brand(Dewalt) is overdoing it because it would be Category > Sub Category > Sub - Sub Category > Post

or I just do Tools/Power Tools > Post

@ItsYoBuddy, a part of me is thinking that categorizing by Brand isn't useful to anyone at all, and that I'd categorize it by type of tool: drills, sanders, saws, hammers, axes, etc.

But it's not over-kill to categorize tightly. I've had a parent category > sub-cat > sub-sub-cat > post before WITH all of that in the URL and it was fine. These days I don't include it in the URL and just have .com/post-slug/, and let the breadcrumbs and site navigation take care of it. It's easier to move posts around that way, since otherwise you end up having to create 301's which can cause a massive disruption to your traffic.

@ItsYoBuddy, a part of me is thinking that categorizing by Brand isn't useful to anyone at all, and that I'd categorize it by type of tool: drills, sanders, saws, hammers, axes, etc.

But it's not over-kill to categorize tightly. I've had a parent category > sub-cat > sub-sub-cat > post before WITH all of that in the URL and it was fine. These days I don't include it in the URL and just have .com/post-slug/, and let the breadcrumbs and site navigation take care of it. It's easier to move posts around that way, since otherwise you end up having to create 301's which can cause a massive disruption to your traffic.
That is what I figured but just needed confirmation. I do remember a post/reply you made about just doing /post-slug/ for the URL and I did that with my last site. Not sure if visitors even look or care about the long URLs but it's easier on the eyes when it's shorter.

What do you guys think about the citation schema? I think external linking is underestimated and citation is a good way to let Google know which external sources you used (i.e. papers, websites).

Been using about and mentions to link to sources and put citations in schema. Similar for entity seo. Might not be doing it right though.

I hate to ask this and I'll preface by saying yes I've gone through the course -
how do you increase the dr of a new site asap? Assuming you have money to throw at the project. (but trying not to spend unnecessarily)

I can't find aged domains in my (relatively narrow) niche that are ok to use so that's out, it'll be a brand new domain
I plan to put up 5-20 articles written by myself and a whole lot outsourced to high quality native writers, plus original images (I own products I plan to review) and shutterstock ones. Hopefully onsite seo will be top notch.
The niche lends itself to reviews a lot and lots of sites are reviews only (think, book review blogs but different niche)
I do plan to do a few reviews and "best 10" type listicles since that's really expected in this niche

What can I do link building wise? More money than time to spend (I run two other businesses)
- will get someone to do all the social media profiles
- will start putting content on social media - any tool/service suggestions?
- will maybe do a tiny bit of relevant blog commenting manually (or outsource) using writer name as anchor
- will get a wikipedia link
- will hire haro service

- is it ok to start using a few link service providers on buso at a slow pace? Will probably point links to home page initially plus one two to a few money/review pages

- have done my kw research etc

- I'm prepared (financially, hopefully emotionally also) to sit in the sandbox for a bit

- also, for product reviews is it ok to use the product image from the manufacturer/seller websites?

Also the goal is not to increase DR for Dr's sake but to actually start ranking, getting traffic, making affiliate/ad sales, etc.

Thank you :smile:

Also - another question I have to ask but hate to -
is starting a website at this time a really terrible idea?
with ai content (I do believe ai content blogs are getting slapped after a few months but they're still competition), people switching to ai instead of google (though I think in my niche people want to read real blogs by humans and also interact a bit), google taking over the whole above the fold search results with ai responses etc - although in the demo video there are three tiny websites with images on the right, so maybe getting to be one of those three will work?

of course I'm hoping that people will say "no, it's a great idea!" lol

but my take is:
- ups and downs and fragility is inevitable in most/all businesses (re the algo shifts/hits)
- you need to become a big brand regardless that people will trust, which means direct/social traffic in addition to search
- I'm picking a niche that I think might be slightly more ai proof ie people prefer a personal take and there's a lot of ugc which I plan to encourage and ultimately maybe have a forum

hope my question and potential take on it makes sense and doesn't sound overly optimistic!

I can't edit my post so here's my third post in a row (sorry!)

Would you buy this aged domain?
- tangentially related to the niche I want to be in eg domain was about car headlights and I want to write about car motors
- has some wonky thing happening - prior to being purchased by domain seller it was getting some kind of redirect error as per archive.org - some kind of 302 that isn't happening
- site had lots of 302's, the previous owner basically moved to a new site and probably didn't set up the 301/302 properly?
- at some point the domain was 301/302ing to a different domain, then the domain owner brought their content back from the different domain to the domain that's up for sale, but that's a lot of (old) 301/302ing happening
- on the plus side, the site is reasonably high dr and has some incredible niche-relevant backlinks but I might be able to get those backlinks with a bit of haro outreach

I'm new to buying aged domains and the 301 stuff is setting off red flags for me

- has some wonky thing happening - prior to being purchased by domain seller it was getting some kind of redirect error as per archive.org - some kind of 302 that isn't happening
- site had lots of 302's, the previous owner basically moved to a new site and probably didn't set up the 301/302 properly?
- at some point the domain was 301/302ing to a different domain, then the domain owner brought their content back from the different domain to the domain that's up for sale, but that's a lot of (old) 301/302ing happening
yep it's me again - I sorted this out, it's basically a known archive.org error - which means I'll get the site hopefully, woohoo

Question: ai generated images have some code embedded going forward (for the serps, per some news release), I'm assuming there's no way to remove the code?

Hello Ashley. It might be better to buildout your first site first to get to know the ropes and then buy writers and outsourcing etc. It’s difficult to tell others how something specifically needs to be done or know what to target otherwise. If it’s not done correctly for your site, it may not yield results. For domains, brandable names that you can grow into and would be desirable for buyers like bagbuff.com or bagbuffbobby.com>backpackbuff.com>backpacksite.com Also, if you’re Goku level there’s no real sandbox. It just takes time to learn the skills needed. Socials and newsletters are part of the online oyster as well. Others have more experienced insights though.

Does anyone have any experience with .io domain names? I always go .com but found an available .io domain that was shorter compared to the .com name. Just curious if you ever had any difficulty ranking compared to .com.

Question: ai generated images have some code embedded going forward (for the serps, per some news release), I'm assuming there's no way to remove the code?
I guess making a screenshot of the generated image with Snipping Tool (if you have Windows PC) or a similar tool and saving it would get rid of the code.

I'm preparing to sell my content website. The expected valuation at 36x (12 month average profit) is ~$400,000. I checked empire flippers and their commission is a bit too high for my liking at 15%. Should I consider other marketplaces like motion invest (7%) or investors club (7%)? I understand that Empire Flippers is the largest but is it worth paying the extra commission? Would love to hear from people with experience selling through any of these marketplaces.

I'm preparing to sell my content website. The expected valuation at 36x (12 month average profit) is ~$400,000. I checked empire flippers and their commission is a bit too high for my liking at 15%. Should I consider other marketplaces like motion invest (7%) or investors club (7%)? I understand that Empire Flippers is the largest but is it worth paying the extra commission? Would love to hear from people with experience selling through any of these marketplaces.
Was this expected evaluation done by empire flippers or you?

I’m buying some links to my website. What are the metrics of a good backlink?

I want to make sure the links the vendor gets for me are good backlinks, not from link farm.

Does anyone have any experience syncing up a separate CMS with Wordpress on the same domain? I'm trying to find a solution to maintain my core site and blog in Wordpress while adding Beehiiv for a newsletter.

Currently I have the Beehiiv part of things running on a subdomain, but think I'm wasting all of the SEO benefits from it. Hoping to find a way to migrate onto the primary domain without messing everything up.

Ideally, click on a link to newsletter on homepage in wordpress and go to the Beehiiv half of things. Right now, you click on a link to newsletter from homepage and go to newsletter.website.com

I've tried Googling around but haven't found any good solutions. I'm also not entirely sure what terminology to use to describe the outcome I'm hoping for, so running into difficulty figuring this one out.

Thanks in advance!

Spam scores (moz) - how much importance do you place on them? Eyeing a few aged domains with high spam scores compared to competitors. Won’t be getting those - unless aged domains have a naturally higher moz spam score for some reason? I guess many legit links are taken down once the site is down?

This is false. I've had domains and pages penalized and recovered in full. The exact same pages can rank again. But if you do new pages they have to re-age and you may not rank for many months, if not a year.

This is the move. This will turn the links "nofollow" in the eyes of Google and become discounted in their ability to give you a penalty.
I had thousands of backlinks reflected in the search console, why could this be?

Does anyone have any experience syncing up a separate CMS with Wordpress on the same domain? I'm trying to find a solution to maintain my core site and blog in Wordpress while adding Beehiiv for a newsletter.

Currently I have the Beehiiv part of things running on a subdomain, but think I'm wasting all of the SEO benefits from it. Hoping to find a way to migrate onto the primary domain without messing everything up.

Ideally, click on a link to newsletter on homepage in wordpress and go to the Beehiiv half of things. Right now, you click on a link to newsletter from homepage and go to newsletter.website.com

I've tried Googling around but haven't found any good solutions. I'm also not entirely sure what terminology to use to describe the outcome I'm hoping for, so running into difficulty figuring this one out.

Thanks in advance!
It seems to me that you could simply move the Beehiiv system to a sub-folder like you desire. But be aware that you'll need to change some settings in it's dashboard (I've never used it, I'm just presuming) so that those changes cascade throughout the database. It'll rely on knowing what the primary URL is, so it will need to be changed. Then you can 301 redirect the sub-domain to the new location, and make sure all the sub-pages resolve to their new spots, so you re-coup any current backlinks and power.

Spam scores (moz) - how much importance do you place on them? Eyeing a few aged domains with high spam scores compared to competitors. Won’t be getting those - unless aged domains have a naturally higher moz spam score for some reason? I guess many legit links are taken down once the site is down?
Expired domains lose less links than you'd expect and it's not a reason to not move forward. I'd be more concerned about building a high quality site on the domain so you don't lose any more links once it's in place.

Regarding the spam scores, I shrug at them. Google ignores most of what those scores are measuring when it comes to backlinks. So a lot of the power that these softwares like Moz and Ahrefs and Majestic assign to the domains isn't really there since Google is ignoring the spam parts. This is why you can go to Fiverr and for $5 pump your Ahref's score up to DR50 and all that. They're such suckers for spam. They crawl it and eat it up and use it in their calculations and can't ignore it like Google does. Spam score or not, you should be manually looking through the referring domains anyways, which will give you a better idea of what's lurking in the backlink profile.

I had thousands of backlinks reflected in the search console, why could this be?
Auto-generated spam that you can ignore that every website gets. Some ding dongs are out there pumping out thousands of sites and automatically created pages that link out to every other site they can get their hands on. Nobody is sure why, though it's probably so they can keep Google's spiders crawling the links they want them to crawl.

Thankfully these people are often kind enough to nofollow the links to legit sites, so you don't need to worry about them. And if they're dofollow the pages are deleted eventualy anyways. And even if not, Google knows to ignore them. You don't need to worry about it.

I read somewhere (possibly search engine journal) that google can’t tell the difference between comments and the article. Surely that can’t be right.

Expired domains lose less links than you'd expect and it's not a reason to not move forward. I'd be more concerned about building a high quality site on the domain so you don't lose any more links once it's in place.

Regarding the spam scores, I shrug at them. Google ignores most of what those scores are measuring when it comes
Thank you, really appreciate this as well as your other post re: expired domains where you explained the niche/sub-niche concept.

Some noob questions about tier 2 links:
- let's say I get some nice, relevant clean incontext/guest post/haro links to my money site (via manual outreach or it just happened naturally)

- scenario A, this page (where I got my links) has no links pointing to it. I assume it's a good idea to point some tier 2 links to this?
- what anchors should I pick for tier 2 links [eg "click here" vs "Best Headphone Reviews" where money page is about headphone reviews - just an example, not my niche!]
- how "cheap" can tier 2 links be? Fiverr "increase dr" type services ok? (otherwise I was thinking cheaper niche edits). I don't want to do anything that would annoy a site owner.
- if the tier 2 links are slapped at an update, will the tier 1 links (those pointing to money site) lose power?
- I'm assuming it's not worth spending money/time/etc on further tiers and better to spend those resources on more content?

- Scenario B, the page where I got my links already has a bunch of links pointing to it with various anchor texts ranging from "best dating sites" to "personal injury lawyer Minnesota". what would tier 2 link best practices be in this case?

Back