Nameservers: Registrar vs. Hosting

Degree
The crash course says that we should change our name servers from the registrar to the ones on the hosting company.

I was just wondering, what are the benefits to doing this?

OK, I just looked at the "crash course" - I think you meant Day 4?
The Overview section says:

1. A user clicks or types in your domain
  2. Their browser is directed to the nameservers set for the domain at the registrar
  3. The nameservers tell them which IP address to follow
  4. Which points them to a specific server and root folder for the domain
  5. And the homepage or inner page requested is loaded

So, the domain's name servers tell everyone where to look for its content.

Edit: If you really want to use the domain registrar's servers, you can create an A record with the registrar, but I guess that's not what you asked for.

Last edited:
That's not quite what it says if you're referring to the portion I wrote in Day 4 - Setting Up Your Website:

Your hosting company that you're renting the server from will have an IP address dedicated to that server and will have set up nameservers for it. So you might see nameservers such as:
  • ns823.hostgator.com
  • ns824.hostgator.com
You'll get two sequential numbers up front, one is for redundancy (that's not the whole story but don't worry about it). Later you can learn to create your own nameservers. @The Engineer has done so for BuSo:
  • ns1.buildersociety.com
  • ns2.buildersociety.com
These point to the IP address associated with the server. On a shared server you'll be sharing the IP address with others as well. That's all fine and dandy for now, possibly for forever depending on the size of your operation.
It's not a matter of using registrar nameservers versus hosting company ones. Your registrar might be your host, but it's always host nameservers as default. Notice that I'm saying "Later" you can create your own, which I meant to imply that it's not necessary. There are millions of sites knocking down huge sums of money without their own nameservers.

It's free to set up and easy to do. You'll learn how to do this anyways if you start using a CDN.

The benefit is mainly for a professional presentation. My guess is 99% of people never look. But for those that do it gives off the appearance that you know what you're doing and care.

For people running a PBN or a network of money sites it's one less method of tying it all together. It stops people from running checks to see what all other sites exist on the same nameservers. If you're on shared hosting this can still be done through the IP address.

It doesn't really matter until you start messing with dedicated IP's on VPS's and Dedicated servers. Then it's just about putting your best face forward everywhere possible.

EDIT: @builder beat me to it!

Back