Missing the power of 'real life' could be destroying your dreams...

Steve Brownlie

Building Links
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
I wasn't sure if I'd write this one or not, but I think it'll offer a lot of value to new people here who aren't really sure how to achieve their long-term dreams and objectives. How to get started. How to avoid going bust in the first year. How to make sure they have the patience they need to actualy make it to the finish line (due to not being starving the whole time... or spending all their savings).

I want 'fuck you' money, not have a boss, be free to spend time with my family, pursue my hobbies...

---

TL;DR:

You can do most of this stuff online (networking, making connections, taking gig work to supplement your grind etc) but I think for some of us we can get a lot more out of face-to-face and it might even lead to a much more exciting idea/business in the end.

---

We hear that a lot from new members here, looking to change their lives for the better. Some are pursuing the 'Gary Vaynerchuk' recommended method of 'making the evenings count' while grinding out a day job. Others jump in and go all out, living frugally until their online projects take off.

This post is probably most practical for those of you who've gone 'all in' or are close to wanting to do that because it'll help you get closer to your dreams by embracing 'real world' opportunities as well as focusing on your online ambitions. Something so many are just ignoring completely, despite some notable online marketers and businesses getting their start that way.

Whodunnit!? And What Can I Get From This 'Real World' Thing Anyway?

I didn't decide one day to start an SEO agency, throw up some online ads, start building links to my own sites and compete with 10 year old SEO agencies with 1000s of links in the SERPS, put my feet up and watch business roll in. I realised that real small businesses, that I could meet face to face need one of the skills we had - designing websites. So I went out and sold those so we didn't have to 'go get a real job' while we worked on the other stuff. Not going bust, actually making it to the finish line is all that matters... your great idea or site that would have been worth millions only happens if you spend years on it and get it done.

Now I didn't come up with that myself - it's actually how Distilled got started - https://www.distilled.net/about/ - I can't find the original blog post but they went out and 'door knocked' local small businesses to pitch them web design services.

@Ryuzaki complements his successful online endeavours with his web design work - https://www.buildersociety.com/thre...livered-in-under-7-days.721/page-3#post-24223

I'm not saying you should all go out and become a web designer. What I'm saying is that people have needs out there in the real world. If you connect with them, and service those requirements, you can have a much faster route to freedom than learning a ton of new skills to become a hugely successful online entrepreneur.

You're Human, Take Advantage of It

What I am saying, however, is that to win at this 'online game' you have to develop some pretty sick skills. Take a read of the crash course here... It's huge. And the skills can be taken one at a time, and you will become 'very good' if you take it seriously. But it'll take a lot of time.

Right now, you almost certainly have the skill we all have as a 'social animal' (even if you, like me, believed for most of your youth that you were an introvert and didn't like talking to anyone...). The ability to have friends, connections and relationships with other humans.

And what's more, lots of those people have needs/things you can do for them that will make you money. The magic of being self-employed and fulfilling those needs is that you can make way more per hour than if you 'go get a real job'. Imagine you run a seminar once a week for small businesses on how to use YouTube. Even if you just charge $20 a ticket, and have 10 people come that's $200/hour less your booking fee for the venue...

Leverage some of your new 'real life' friends who want to promote their businesses and have them speak for 5 minutes, host the event at their premises and you're back to $200/hour with no booking fee!

Maybe you can't use youtube, but you're a great writer: help local businesses with their content, advertising plans, social media.

Why "Real Life"?

All the things I'm suggesting here are possible online. You can go to upwork, advertise your services etc etc. The truth is when you have no brand, and no reputation, you can shortcut that because of how humans behave/think when they get to know you. People will pay you a lot more for that content you wrote for their plumbing website if they ordered it from you face to face over a beer, than if they were putting a proposal together, trying to find the cheapest person, on an online platform (like Upwork etc).

What's even more exciting is that real life interaction, and experimenting with selling things and solving people's problems in exchange for money, doesn't just keep you from starving while your authority site grows...

It helps you understand the needs people have, that you can solve immediately, and start making more money because you've suddenly got an idea for a unique business.

Let's say that whole YouTube training thing wasn't your bag initially but you were happy to make the money for a while. But you constantly get to hear the problems small businesses are having with youtube and realise you can code a solution. Maybe you'd be the next Explaindio (but different, of course). A real product/business born out of learning what people need - directly.

I know someone (someone I met through networking) who has a similar story and is just quitting his job to start a business in the Social Media space on the back of following that exact route - networking, figuring out what people wanted, building a business to sell it to them.

The beauty is that it combines 'what you know/can do' with 'problems people actually have and will pay for' into a real business, that's easy for you to manage and grow, because it's something you're passionate about.

Sure you can definitely just pick some random niche (organic baby dummies) that you hate and build it up until you dominate the mommy space and make that passive income dream come true. But that is a much tougher road, and much longer road. Is it right for you? Maybe. Is this alternative right for others? Maybe. Are there online equivalents that you can also use? Of course - I love BuSo and all the private groups (slack etc) that I'm in online. But I also love this!

I'd say it's definitely worth exploring for many of you though. And if you want to explore here's how you get started...

Exploring Face To Face Networking

There are tons of guides probably about this so I'm not going to go on for ages, just put down some of the winning tips I've experienced personally over the years.

Expand Your Network: When I lost one of my largest ever contracts, the first thing I did was book travel around the UK and a flight to the US (lots of internal flights... 5 hour flights in domestic economy... super fun!). I met everyone I knew - family, friends, friends of family, business associates, and booked to attend dozens of random live networking events in cities I'd never been to before.

The plan was simple - meet more people and get introductions to more people, all the while trying to 'return the favour' and constantly referring people back to people I'd previously met/had helped me before.

I wasn't there to sell directly - we didn't even have an exact product defined in those early days. We were there to explore needs, find out what people wanted, and meet people who were connected to our potential clients.

One of the biggest points is that the perfect people you want to meet won't often be at the events you go to. Getting intros to people (subtly eg you don't know a good accountant in Chicago do you? I might need some advice...) who might be gateways to opportunity and then building a relationship with them (without asking for anything immediately) from the networks of the people you meet is very powerful.

Become Known Within Communities: Focus on certain cities/regions/towns for deeper networking. Attend 'most' groups in that area until you find the most active/most useful ones. I attend ones, for example, that attract lots of web devs and other industry folks that I can chat to about what's going on, and introduce people to. Sometimes we get business back but the main purpose for me is to get ideas, and build my new products in areas people actually want/need service.

Give Knowledge Away Free: Gary Vaynerchuk is right offline as much as he is when he talks about this online - give away knowledge to people. Don't try to bill on day one. Show yourself to be an expert, and get people's trust over time. It's tough when you're looking to make money today - but remember if you weren't doing this you wouldn't be making that money anyway - this is a gateway to more money and opportunity if you put the effort in.

Summary

I hope this has been interesting to some of you newer marketers. It's great to get out into the 'real world' and meet people with problems, solve them, and then build scalable solutions to those problems that then become your real business. Selling your own range of products is super fun compared to being an affiliate (for me anyway, and maybe some of you), and can lead you to have some ideas for products that you just won't get (unless you're a genius) from researching some keywords and slapping a 'niche site' up and trying to grind for years. Some of you will get rich that way, of course, but we all know from experience hanging out in these types of forums that the success rate is not a 'slam dunk' and different personality types suit different types of venture. But they can still lead to the same end result...

I want 'fuck you' money, not have a boss, be free to spend time with my family, pursue my hobbies...

There was something I mentioned in the Crash Course somewhere that fits in here. People get attracted to Internet Marketing, on the surface, because it seems like a get-rich-quick thing that "can't be too hard." But I think deep down a lot of people are attracted to the idea of making money from home without having to interact with people personally. They think their website will be a proxy for that. That can be the case only to a certain degree.

As soon as you need to outsource something you're talking to a real person. As soon as you need tech support on your hosting... real person. Want to buy a link? Real person. Need to negotiate a commission rate? Real person.​

There's no escaping it and it's absurd that that is even an approach that's attempting to be undertaken. Money flows between people and that's it. If you want gobs and gobs of money then you can expect to impact and interact with gobs and gobs of people.

And that leads into what @Steve Brownlie is saying... don't wait until you're forced to shake someone's hand. Get out there and do it. Not only is there still an entire class of people alive on this earth that never touch the internet, but they do all of their business offline (and lots of it). But they know they need an online presence, if not for the sake of having one when they pass the business off to their child. And someone's going to get that job.

The person who gets the job will be the first person that hits them up about it or the first person that gets referred to them.

Absolutely nothing is more powerful than real life referrals. It bypasses every time-consuming, stress-causing road block. If someone you trust refers someone else to you, that means the vetting has already been done and the trigger can be pulled right away. We all know time is money and you can convert the crap out of a deal fast if it starts based on a referral. As a matter of fact the deal is already closed before you meet, it's usually just a matter of negotiating a price (or a trade).

Everything about success is relative. It's ALL based on comparisons with other people. Everything about money is based on other people. It's all about people. Value is determined by what someone else is willing to pay. People people people! @Alanwatts33 mentioned this in the Garden section... there is no part of success that is isolated to your actions and intentions, because it's a duality. Transactions, whether financial or emotional, occur between people.

The dissociation within digital relationships can be minimized over time, but they'll never match even 30 minutes of pounding the pavement and meeting someone face-to-face.

Great post. It is a nice one to be read especially for people who are just getting started into the whole IM world.

Even if you are not the greatest sales person or have close to no charisma by just being authentic and hanging around other people (in the right context/scenario) you can get to know several potential customers.

We often don't realize how we can serve others because we most of the time only think as consumers. But if we take a step back to actually analyze the pain points / needs of others we can figure out very quickly business opportunities.

You mentioned Gary Vaynerchuk. Love the guy. He mentions a lot empathy. That is just huge in business. If you listen to others instead of just waiting your time to talk you can truly understand people and then figure out a way to give them what they want.

Give people what they want and they will give you what you want.

I agree.

Long story short... I don't get out in the real world often. Most times I am working at my desk and hardly go outside except to eat or mow the grass. Sometimes I watch Netflix if Vikings is on, Walking Dead, or Better Call Saul.

Any other time? I'm working right here online.

With that, I have a somewhat warped sense of what is really going on in the "real" world.

When I did start to go out in the real world and knock on doors again, I was shocked that people had PPC needs and also are only willing to pay a $350 a month retainer. What? I shit that out a day in sushi and steak.

Time travel back to 1999. If you knew HTML and could put a website up, you were getting paid 6 figures and possibly driving around in a lambo out in So. California as a "developer" with a cushy corp. job.

Forward to 2007-2008, if you knew how to put up FB ads and Adwords ads, you could charge easily $4k a month for a retainer fee.

I carried those experiences around with me as I became more and more "home bound" and didn't keep up with "real life" outside of mine. I guess places like Upwork, Full Sail University, Indian VA's, Udemy, $10 eBooks, and blogs have eroded away the value of people who really know this shit from experience.

It was a shock to learn people are humping their ass for $350 a month to consult with PPC to make another person rich. Although, when I go into those accounts I can see the person has no clue wtf they are doing.. but the client who is paying $350 doesn't know this and continues to pay it.

Lesson learned. Sometimes you have to go out in the real world and ask questions, dig in, and find out what is changing and what people want.

You might think you know what people want because you went out and knocked on doors, but that was 10+ years ago. Not only do you still need to knock on doors and ask questions, you need to do it frequently.

Back