Local MAP packs & HSA questions/thoughts

nbt

Degree
I read the thread from CCarter regarding GMB not having any visibility unless signed on with HSA and I am in full tinfoil hat mode:

Does this have any link to the Advanced Verification process beta for locksmiths and plumbers?
I have a theory that Google have always been planning for GMB local listings to be completely monetized, and pushing for brick mortar businesses to create GMB listings to be eventually taken over by Adwords.

I believe that the rebranding of Google+ as a pure business offering as GMB was a way for them to push for local map listings in organic as a pathway to convert these to paid listings, and increase above the fold SERPs to purely paid offerings. Right now it seems that the HSA will only just replace the top spots:

4) Are there any plans to to tie the HSA program to conventional AdWords?
Yes, eventually. But for now this is driven by AdWords EXPRESS. Any conventional AdWords campaigns targeting the same or similar keywords, physical area, etc. will need to be disabled.

However, what I'm wondering is if the eventual "tie in" for HSA programs to conventional adwords just means that either Google will either start showing both HSA ads as well as normal paid search ads (that's complete above the fold dominance for SERPs) and/or the eventual move for all Adwords accounts to be fully managed by Google, in an Adwords Express type scenario where all campaigns for brick and mortar businesses are created and managed by Google based on their own campaign management model?

Tell me I'm crazy because what I'm seeing for the future is a Google controlled/managed Ad dominated above the fold SERP (excluding big brands), with below the fold listings that are highly reliant on social engagement metrics.

It will all come down to which method gets Google more money. Maybe I'm crazy but I don't think this program is going to make it. I assume the phone numbers are tracked by Google and each call is billed otherwise G would only be making money when a quote is requested. In my experience people see a phone number and call, they want to talk to a human. With the insane amount of telemarketers it will be interesting how they deal with billing those calls. It is going to take a huge staff to vet all these companies with background checks, license verification etc so they will have to pay them too. I would think that high CPC on adwords will be more that what they can charge people for a call or quote request although it is sent to 5 pros.
Even if this is rolled out across the board, put the tin foil hat away. For real companies offering quality service this is not a bad thing. Most people take a long time to respond to these so respond quick and get a leg up on competition. Also gets rid of spammers narrowing the field and brings stability by knowing if you pay you will get leads, with SEO you rank or you're dead. G might take a cut of the profits but if there is not enough meat on the bone to handle that it probably isn't a great niche anyways.

Back