Local MAP Packs Will Be 100% Sponsored Soon

CCarter

Final Boss ®
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Digital Strategist
Degree
Browsing my favorite local seo forum, I saw this crazy discussion:

I'm not a big fan of AdWords Express and was curious what my Agency Development Manager at Google thought about this program. He wasn't intimately familiar with the HSA program but contacted the folks in Mountain View who are involved with it. I was invited to call the HSA account manager directly which I did. I asked her:

1) Where on the SERPs will ads appear?

Top of Page One and she directed me to search Google for "Plumber in San Francisco". The result are three "sponsored" listings. No organic.

jm9BwYJ.jpg

2) My client claims that Google told him that his GMB listing was going away and that he would have no local visibility unless he signed on with HSA. Is he correct in this?

Basically yes as the HSA program rolls out to more metro areas.

3) Obviously there are more than three plumbers in San Francisco. Will the HSA listings be rotated? If so, on what basis?

Yes, based upon the business "ratings", or reviews on Google.

4) Are there any plans to to tie the HSA program to conventional AdWords?

Yes, eventually. But for now this is driven by AdWords EXPRESS. Any conventional AdWords campaigns targeting the same or similar keywords, physical area, etc. will need to be disabled.

5) Given the lack of keyword control with Express, will the CPC of these broad matched keywords be the same as conventional AdWords?

No. Advertiser is not charged per click but per phone call received that last > 30 seconds, thus a forwarding number will be provided. Similar to AdWords' "Call Only Campaign" except ads are visible on desktop as well as mobile.

I'm sure I am not alone in my significant concern with the Home Service Ad program. The death of the local pack for most, or all, home service business categories is upon us.

Sauce: Three Pack To Be ALL "Sponsored" With Google's New Home Service Ads

This might be a bit... much.

02z9CM8.gif

google has always fucked with plumbers, locksmiths, electricians etc., but what's really gonna suck is when they extend this out to basically all brick and mortars.

Smart move, Google. Those niches are high converting because they fill an immediate need. The good news is that the first organic result is now above the fold. Doubt it will stay that way.

Back