Linkbait idea generation

Degree
Hello guys,

I am struggeling with generating linkbait ideas in my niche. This excellent post from ahrefs describes to find linkbait ideas by looking at your competition or using related/different industries.

I am in a niche that does not have a lot of competition in terms of linkbaiting. I looked in other niches f.ex.:food and kitchen, but haven`t found any great opportunities for linkbaiting. Besides, if I find any good opportunity I often lack the availability of data to make an infographic or blog-post.

Am I overcomplicating things? What is your process to find a good linkbait opportunity?

Appreciate your replies!

PS.: My website is about product reviews in a smaller part of a larger niche.

food and kitchen

Any popular, information-based post ever that someone has done in the niche of 'food and kitchen' would likely do well if you prettied it up as a one-page resource and made it easy on the eyes for linkers.

You're probably over thinking things if you're busy spending time seeing what other people have actually done etc (though as AHREFS point out it can help when you come to promoting, but if you follow the tips in my free guide here on BuSo you can figure out who to promote it to anyway).

Just figuring out what people like to read/talk about in the broad niche is sufficient to know what will get enough traction to build some links. The only thing I'd caution is that - light/entertaining = you get a lot of social shares when you promote it, more informative = you get more links. People seem more inclined to quickly share fun stuff, but want to go to their deeper discussion platform (their blog etc) when it's something a bit more substantial.

There are exceptions, of course.

Any popular, information-based post ever that someone has done in the niche of 'food and kitchen' would likely do well if you prettied it up as a one-page resource and made it easy on the eyes for linkers.

You're probably over thinking things if you're busy spending time seeing what other people have actually done etc (though as AHREFS point out it can help when you come to promoting, but if you follow the tips in my free guide here on BuSo you can figure out who to promote it to anyway).

Just figuring out what people like to read/talk about in the broad niche is sufficient to know what will get enough traction to build some links. The only thing I'd caution is that - light/entertaining = you get a lot of social shares when you promote it, more informative = you get more links. People seem more inclined to quickly share fun stuff, but want to go to their deeper discussion platform (their blog etc) when it's something a bit more substantial.

There are exceptions, of course.
Thx for your reply. I would appreciate if you could point out any good examples.

Two responses, one macro, one micro.

Macro:
PS.: My website is about product reviews in a smaller part of a larger niche
All of these niche affiliate sites reviewing kitchen spatulas that everyone builds make them really hard to promote. Even if you have this great link bait, eye brows will be raised when all of the rest of the content on the site is commercial reviews linking off to the best kitchen spatulas. A big part of getting those links is editorial credibility.
/Rant

Micro : you can go pretty tangental about link bait. Said kitchen spatula blog could do an infographic or tool around obesity or body image , for example.

One of your problems is you're trying to "find" linkbait opportunities and asking us for examples. Don't find, don't wait... CREATE them.
  • How the Burger Industry Scams Us All (angle: meat is sold in pre-cooked weight)
  • 7 Times a Spatula Saved or Took a Life (angle: kitchen accidents, violent attacks)
  • How Science Has Turned Our Simple Spatulas into Space Age Products (angles: materials used, laser precision edges, heat resistance, hydrophobic coatings)
It's literally a piece of cake.

On the example of spatulas above, I can think of a dozen almost immediately. Getting links like this to a review page is simply the wrong way to go about it. Make standalone linkbait pages, get links to them, and interlink from them to the pages you want to rank. Meanwhile your entire domain will be growing stronger due to these links too.

Another problem (and I'm not saying this is you) is that people think "review sites" and start slapping up reviews of individual products and top 10's with tables and crap. But nobody thinks about nurturing the traffic. Why drop 10 reviews when you can drop a Buyer's Guide with 5 reviews of even more expensive options within it? Suddenly you're making more money and have something linkworthy.
726 x 338

Um, what Ryu said.

Tbh, I don't know how people with 10TopBestSpatulaReviews.com get any backlinks at all. Assuming your domain doesn't immediately send up red flags of "this site only exists to siphon search traffic to amz" there are so, so,, so many opportunities.

Do what Ryu said and don't try to outreach with freaking reviews unless you are doing some kind of next level shit.

Also, consider writing articles that offer value that may seem to detract from your profitability. So, going with the spatula thing..
3 Ways to Upgrade Your Old Spatula for Free
3 DIY Spatula Ideas​
I think people are always afraid of either
1) showing free alternatives / tips to avoid buying
2) giving away too much info/value for free​
But, let's be honest - your only chance of getting 10K repins and lots of mommy blogger round-ups backlinks is on a "3 Ways to Upgrade Your Old Spatula for Free," not a "Top 10 Best Spatula of 2017." AND, articles like that won't actually detract from your sales. You're getting 100x more viral exposure, and the % of sales you're losing to "DIY" people is probably super low.

Because, let's be honest, most people value time > money and aren't actually going to put in the work to take long, but free, shortcuts.

Back