Keyword tracking

I just grabbed a subscription to SerpBook.com - which has been working out fine. Their Bing/Yahoo rankings don't seem to be as accurate as their Google rankings, though. However, they do show rankings above spot 100, which is something that was important to me. It's a trade off on features regardless of what tracker you use.

+1 for SerpBook - it´s basic but does everything I expect from a rank checker, including historical graphs and the option to send PDF ranking reports via email to other people on your team.

Recently started with Microsite Masters. Solid so far. Big fan of Cardine (also owns WordAI).

Recently started with Microsite Masters. Solid so far. Big fan of Cardine (also owns WordAI).

Have you tried many of them? I did free trials for every one I could find and Micro Masters left me confused it seems rushed. I like serpbook and serpfox and im still using free trials but I am going to upgrade one of them soon. Take a look at them @PChange :smile:!!

However, they do show rankings above spot 100

What do you do with the ones that are above 100? How does that help? Im still learning about all this ranking business.

What do you do with the ones that are above 100? How does that help? Im still learning about all this ranking business.

Same thing as for any other keyword - I like to know where I'm ranked. There's a huge difference between being ranked at spot #103 and spot #350. A keyword at #103 might be something to focus on - but I'd never know that with a tracker that stopped at #100.

It's useful to mention that Google Keyword Tools will have all of this data and you can "star" the ones you want to stick to the top of the list. They will also show you keywords you weren't aware of that you are ranking for. Those are ones that Google already is lending a bias towards you for and you can push those on up with some on-page tweaks and a single link or two with the right anchor. I don't recommend using manipulative link building though.

proranktracker
I don't recommend using manipulative link building though.

tumblr_mdrg9i1GWC1rrfiwuo1_500.gif

Have you tried many of them? I did free trials for every one I could find and Micro Masters left me confused it seems rushed. I like serpbook and serpfox and im still using free trials but I am going to upgrade one of them soon. Take a look at them @PChange :smile:!!

I've trialed quite a few, but I admit that was some time ago. I felt like Microsite Masters was pretty straightforward. Not sure what you mean by rushed. I'll have to take a look at the other 2 mentioned as I don't think I've ever actually used them, and apparently people are fans here. :smile:

I don't recommend using manipulative link building though.
Err...is there any other kind? :wonder:

We decided to build our own because when you monitor over 80000 keywords, all of those cloud based tools tends to get quite expensive and many of them can't even handle that many keywords.

But overall I can't recommend building your own tool because it's a constant hassle to keep scrapers working, proxies alive for the countries you need etc. So unless you're running a dev team in-house it's probably still cheaper to use one of those cloud services.

We decided to build our own because when you monitor over 80000 keywords, all of those cloud based tools tends to get quite expensive and many of them can't even handle that many keywords.

But overall I can't recommend building your own tool because it's a constant hassle to keep scrapers working, proxies alive for the countries you need etc. So unless you're running a dev team in-house it's probably still cheaper to use one of those cloud services.

Do you Silo your keywords in anyway?

Would be awesome to get some breakdown of what you are up to and the methods you are using.

Do you Silo your keywords in anyway?

Would be awesome to get some breakdown of what you are up to and the methods you are using.

We measure per market/submarket so in a way yes, we silo them.

It depends on the project but usually we track pure ranks, trends and do few different share of voice metrics to get the overall picture.

I've trialed quite a few, but I admit that was some time ago. I felt like Microsite Masters was pretty straightforward. Not sure what you mean by rushed. I'll have to take a look at the other 2 mentioned as I don't think I've ever actually used them, and apparently people are fans here. :smile:

Hard to explain it just didn't seem as well thought out as some of the others. To each their own tho :D The one thing I learned from trying a lot of them is that they're more or less the same it just depends on preference

Hey, I'm not a shill but I am a cheap ass. I found wincher and have been using it to track SERP keywords for my website. It allows unlimeted # of keywords for a single website for 6 euro a month. Does US/EU etc. Addon websites are cheaper like 2 or 3 euro I think. I don't know for certain how reliable it is since I don't have any other paid services, maybe I'll compare it with 3 of my registered terms in my free trial of serpwoo.

Hey, I'm not a shill but I am a cheap ass. I found wincher and have been using it to track SERP keywords for my website. It allows unlimeted # of keywords for a single website for 6 euro a month. Does US/EU etc. Addon websites are cheaper like 2 or 3 euro I think. I don't know for certain how reliable it is since I don't have any other paid services, maybe I'll compare it with 3 of my registered terms in my free trial of serpwoo.
Very interesting find. Sounds a bit too good to be true though :wink: As we just discussed in another thread with @CCarter, running this type of service at scale is not something you just quickly setup and maintenance certainly isn't free. My guess is that either they are planning to increase prices once they get enough customer mass and history data to make leaving more painful, or they're subsidizing this with another business based on SERP data. In either way better keep exporting results just in case.

Nevertheless a good find, even we have our own stuff I'll give these guys a go :smile:

When all people can do is compete on price its a race to the bottom, good luck with that model...

The problem I am finding is that with the sites that have the better UI the cost per keyword is too expensive, a lot of these sites have rushed to make a lot of bells and whistles that are not needed. I want a dedicated tool for keyword tracking, I don't want backlink analysis or other stuff as it will never be as good as Ahrefs or Majestic.

I'm sort of thinking that there is quite a lot of room for improvement in this space. Sort of tempted to build something myself.

@Stephen you want to remove the bells and whistles and THEN reduce the cost per keyword cause you believe it's too expensive. Sooo.... it's a race to the bottom by competing on price for your model right?

How does removing features and then reducing margins, create more profit for you?

It doesn't.
That's why nobody wants to serve this segment of the market.
Make it free and they'll complain about the UI, and then bot the bejesus out of your system when they realize they can save 20 cents on proxies by botting you instead of Google.

@Stephen you want to remove the bells and whistles and THEN reduce the cost per keyword cause you believe it's too expensive. Sooo.... it's a race to the bottom by competing on price for your model right?

How does removing features and then reducing margins, create more profit for you?

I think you missed my point, or that is how I am reading, excuse me if I got that wrong.

When I am looking for a keyword ranking tool, I'm looking for a keyword ranking tool and not a tool that does a lot of other things half well at the expense of the UI.

I am finding it hard to find a proper Keyword tool that offers a clean and easy to use UI that does pure rank tracking at a sensible price.

I understand companies want to offer added value, but they should not do it when it means they rush their core product to the users detriment.

SERPBook and SERPFox offer 50 keywords at $9.95 and $10 respectively. Is $10 really not sensible for a product that gathers data for you daily?

Proranktracker offers the same 50 keywords for free. Is free not sensible?

Is this wincher at 6 euros for unlimited keywords not sensible?

If you don't like their UI... Which keyword tracking tool's UI do you like? Why not just use one of the cheap one's API within your own UI shell?

You want a tool that's cheap AND has profit margins enough to hire a great UI designer and coder, but still cheap and accurate... And has a great UI and costs are sensible? And that's going to be the business model you propose running a profitable company off of? Why not just start a charity keyword tool, cause I really can't see you beating 6 euros for unlimited keywords - nor do I see you beating free for 50 keywords.

One of your complaints was accuracy - you're saying that these tools which have been out for years, aren't accurate. Did you stop to think of the reason they just can't get anymore accurate in your eyes?

Even though we are not a rank tracker there is a reason at SERPWoo we don't go after certain markets - the ones looking for free stuff but super accurate. It's a bit difficult to buy IPs in each country or get ISPs within that country to give you IPs through some backend deal without increasing costs which reduce margins.

But if you can get IPs in each market and get them pulling as accurately as the higher end tools, AND deliver it for a sensible price, while having a great UI cause you can squeeze margins even further from the dwindling profits, then by all means do it, and knock all the hundreds of rank trackers out there out of the waters...

You do have a marketing budget to let the world know about your low cost tool right? I assume you realize that affiliates aren't going to push a product that's got extremely low margins cause of the pricing being too low, meaning their commissions are near nothing - making affiliate marketing not a viable option for either party.

In all seriousness, not trying to clown you or talk down to you, I am trying to be as genuine as possible with this question - have you ran an actual business before @Stephen ? Like with employees, taxes, w2, healthcare costs, office costs, and normal business overhead? I am assuming you don't plan on running this business out of your home forever and want to actually grow it. Obviously you aren't going to increase pricing once you've put all these other rank trackers out of business, since one day someone might come along and say, "man, I wish @Stephen's rank tracker was more cost sensible like before the cost increases... I'm going to make a cheaper version." - Therefore starting the copycat and "reduce the price/margins/profits" cycle all over again - racing to the bottom...

Have you thought about why so many cheap products can't offer great customer support? Cause the margins aren't there... The worse thing you can do is put out a product and expect customers to just get it and not provide support for their questions. No support will ruin your brand faster then you can imagine.

We didn't even talk about you and your coders' salaries, which is different from profits, cause I assume you don't work for free, correct? Or is all this some side project that's never going to get off the ground and was an idea you had once...

Like I said... It's a race to the bottom when competing on price solely. I honestly wish the best for you if you go down this endeavor, and if you need any help let me know - I can always use a great rank tracker to partner up with, I just don't think you've thought this through.

I respect your views @CCarter I really do.
I'd love to get the UI of something like AWRcloud with a little more reliability perhaps and more keywords for the money.

I think they have the best UI I have seen yet, they have not ventures in to too many other areas like backlinks analysis and keyword suggesting tools, both of which are much better catered for with the dedicated tools already out there.

There is a really good business model out there, stop being a generalist jack of all trades and doing things in an average way.

And yes, I have run several successful businesses with staff and sales in multiple $MM territory.

I'm simply saying, that there is a very big difference in the pricing on rank tracking software platforms that seems to follow little logic or pattern. Why do I want to pay for some extra tools that offer nothing of use against the pro-tools.

Could one of the backlink tools be really good on price and UI but not have added a load of average extras that can't compete with the other better, dedicated tools on the market.

It seems there is a market for someone to develop a quality product in the medium price range that just does what it says on the tin and does not aim to be everything to everyone. I don't want backlinks analysis, I don't want keyword research, I don't want social tracking all done badly and bolted on to these tools in the name of offering a better allround product, it is a fools errand at the pricing these guys are pitching at, I think we agree but don't understand each other actually!

AWRCloud... you mean these clowns:

contest.jpg

contest_2.jpg

They MIGHT be about to release something that might be copying something off of SERPWoo - I doubt it though but we had to send a shot at them too. Hopefully they got a chuckle out of it. Although they've since removed that "favorite" of theirs from that individual's tweet talking about SW.

It seems there is a market for someone to develop a quality product in the medium price range

You're not looking for medium price range, you're looking for 'cost sensibility' - meaning cheap. That's how everyone interpreted your comments about 'cost sensible'. There is a reason AWRCloud isn't catering to anything below $49, you'll find out once you start down this business venture of yours why. And if you think 'medium price' is UNDER $49... well... a race to the bottom like I said.

Back