Ideas to monetize a local arts and wellness community

Degree
I've recently become very acquainted with a growing community of arts and wellness related small business and solopreneurs within my city. They are all of the younger generation and conduct their businesses primarily on Instagram and TikTok. They don't have websites, but wouldn't mind having one if it looks good- which is the primary reason why they don't- it costs too much in time/effort/money to make a nice one.

I wouldn't mind creating a nice single page or small website that scrapes their social feed to publish on their site, but I know they wouldn't have a budget worth my time. If I built them websites, they would probably (or are obligated to) link their socials and Google business profile to the website as well.

How could I monetize this gap and turn it into an opportunity?

Since you're familiar with this community, what potential benefits do you think they could derive from having a website?

Since you're familiar with this community, what potential benefits do you think they could derive from having a website?

I have a stake in a business within this community. I saw that by helping this community- basically creating a simple hyper-local and unbranded website to band this community together, it would help generate goodwill for this business, which has already paid off both in local news coverage, increased visibility, reputation and revenue.

I'm thinking of how I can develop this strategy even further, because I feel like it will soon peak and reach a point of diminishing returns, which means either accepting that it has run its course with no avenue to expand it further, or find new pathways.

paid off both in local news coverage, increased visibility, reputation and revenue
It sounds like you are getting sufficient value from this strategy, which is great...

I have a stake in a business within this community
But, I asked you how having a website would benefit these TikTokers/community members, not you personally.

develop this strategy even further
Figure out what benefits these TikTokers can derive from a website... and then monetize it. That's how you develop this strategy further.

But, it's 100% possible that there is no tangible or intangible value that they derive from having a website.

If that's the case, then maybe you need to explore other channels to leverage the community and goodwill you've built.

... just a few prompts to help you think through your options. Good luck!

From what I see, I would leverage this by:

- Creating contests and competitions (lots of PR, brand awareness, engagement)
- Using the artists to create honest reviews about products (when you want to start with art, there are tons of expensive stuff/tools you'd like to buy... I know this from experience lol)
- Creating courses, the art niche is great for that...
- Use their artistic talents and audience to start an ecom and sell stuff

I have some experience with this. If you're talking about people who sell artwork like vendors and such, first and most importantly, you need to recognize that artists dont like to be "monetized" unless it's something they all feel like they're partaking in.

You could host an event like a market or something. Pick a nice outdoor space where they can all set up tables to sell their things. Do it on a Saturday and plan it well in advance and get creative with your marketing tactics to reach the people in the community and pack it out.

Eventually, once the community knows you will bring people out, you can monetize it by charging a fee or a percentage of wares. You could maybe do it for the first one but it would be more difficult. The relationships with the artists are really the most important aspect and having them trust your brand name will open all the doors.

I will also add that monetizing a small community is a little bit of a pipe dream. I've been trying to do it for years and while the money hits every once in a while, it's not often a significant chunk of change and the time and money investment is often higher than what comes out the other end. Unless they're rich, you're kind of working with their peanuts.

A lot of this world is for the love of the game. The real way you make money is by either selling thousands of tickets to an event or getting some big corporate sponsor to slap their logo on your marketing in exchange for monetary compensation.

Everything else is often guerilla marketing that has intrinsic value but doesn't pay the bills.

Back