How do news sites syndicate content across the web?

Degree
Noob question but I have a competitor who writes news articles every day or a few times a day. Let's say the topic is Coins. He'll write whatever is in the news for Coins and he'll include a statement in the third person such as... and this Coin article was reported on CoinMarketingWebsite.Pro. Then there'll be scraper news sites that syndicate his content and because his article has his URL in it, he gets a backlink. These news sites aren't BS sites. Some are quite legit since he hired real journalists to write the news articles. This might sound expensive but we have journalists on our team too and you can get an article a day for your site for $1,000 month salary. That's like $45/article for the journalist to keep up with industry news and write you an article.

So, how do I get these news stories syndicated to other news sites? It isn't PR Newswire or another press release service. There's no "press release" anywhere on the syndicated sites. Any ideas? PM me if you want to see the site and examples.

Approach the 3rd party sites and tell them to start scraping you too?

The news site I had ownership in years ago, people started scrapping our content and doing that once we got big enough and produced unique content, including by sites like Yahoo and such.

Maybe reaching out to them and actively asking them would speed up the process. But in my experience, it was just about creating the type of content people wanted to scrap pretty much. It would usually happen when we were the first website to report on a story or something.

The news site I had ownership in years ago, people started scrapping our content and doing that once we got big enough and produced unique content, including by sites like Yahoo and such.

Maybe reaching out to them and actively asking them would speed up the process. But in my experience, it was just about creating the type of content people wanted to scrap pretty much. It would usually happen when we were the first website to report on a story or something.
Sounds simple but, after analyzing the top performing news sites in the industry, I think this is it. One competitor publishes an article a week and the other 3 articles a day. They basically get their best backlinks from news stories that were quoted in other news stories, after I researched their site.

So, my strategy is this: report news that's actually a milestone for the industry, stuff that has a chance to be evergreen or cited later; then, make the posts keyword rich so that it can rank for terms related to the event; finally, keep on publishing stories and some will be linked to, if your site can rank.

Now... how do I know what will be quoted in the future? Hmm... probably only serious stuff and no popular pieces such as "top 5 beach destinations for vaccinated Americans to travel to this summer." Let's see! Thanks Mike!

Sounds simple but, after analyzing the top performing news sites in the industry, I think this is it. One competitor publishes an article a week and the other 3 articles a day. They basically get their best backlinks from news stories that were quoted in other news stories, after I researched their site.

So, my strategy is this: report news that's actually a milestone for the industry, stuff that has a chance to be evergreen or cited later; then, make the posts keyword rich so that it can rank for terms related to the event; finally, keep on publishing stories and some will be linked to, if your site can rank.

Now... how do I know what will be quoted in the future? Hmm... probably only serious stuff and no popular pieces such as "top 5 beach destinations for vaccinated Americans to travel to this summer." Let's see! Thanks Mike!
For my current small digital PR project/experiment I'm running, I looked what worked in the past with the ahrefs content explorer. You could also write topics for events (if applicable for the niche) that are every year, e.g., Christmas. Thanksgiving etc. Check which journalists wrote in the past about the topics an approach them before the event.

For my current small digital PR project/experiment I'm running, I looked what worked in the past with the ahrefs content explorer. You could also write topics for events (if applicable for the niche) that are every year, e.g., Christmas. Thanksgiving etc. Check which journalists wrote in the past about the topics an approach them before the event.
I think what I'm going to cover is legislation changes. We'll report on changes in the law in a readable way. It'll increase the brand's authority and hopefully position us as a good reference resource for both consumers and journalists.

Back