Graphic Cards for Laptop / PC

GNews

White Hat Genius
BuSo Pro
Degree
My main laptop crashed 2 weeks ago out of the blue.

I really think it had to do with a Windows 10 update b/c after that, I had Blue Screen problems. Read people saying there' a bug in the update, so i uninstalled it. Problem went away. Download happened again, and I wanted to see if things would stay smooth as things didnt' go bad at first. Then it did, blue screens and eventually I couldn't get back into the drive.

Luckily I didn't have much saved there.

Anyhow, I need to replace the laptop now. Wondering what are the better graphics cards now in 2021 for:
1) Laptop
2) PC

I want to know both options. I need something that can handle video editing & graphics.

I'm on my 'spare'/backup laptop now which has a quality SSD but I noticed..... the screen has problems with certain colors. I don't get to see yellow in the color palettes, which is super strange.

Anyhow, chime in BuSo! I'm probably going to get a Dell scratch and dent. I was a Lennovo & Toshiba guy the last few computers but a family member in Computer IT told me go with Dell again. So i'm going to check it out.

I wouldn't look at GPUs for PC right now, the scalpers and crypto miners have made it extremely difficult and expensive to get one. Even the supposed low-end Nvidia GTX 3060 is tough to procure.

I wouldn't look at GPUs for PC right now, the scalpers and crypto miners have made it extremely difficult and expensive to get one. Even the supposed low-end Nvidia GTX 3060 is tough to procure.

i noticed there was mostly 'integrated graphics' card on them majority of laptops on Dell

i noticed there was mostly 'integrated graphics' card on them majority of laptops on Dell

GPU's for PC have been insane for a while, as @cactus said. I put together a computer in mid-2020 you can see here and I really overpaid for the GPU at the time. It was a 2080 Super and the generic one I wanted got sold out so I had to upgrade to one of the brands that "makes it fancier". I don't recall the exact numbers but what should hav ebeen like $500 ended up being $770, and that was July 2020.

Now, with the semi-conductor shortages and crypto miners still at it, it's still a bad situation.

At the same time, I feel like with most laptops these days you'll end up with integrated GPUs. Apple will end up going that way for everything I think including their high-end desktop computers, except maybe the Mac Pro which is stupidly priced now.

The good news is the new generation of graphics cards, especially the GeForce 3000 series, I know they're taking efforts to try to ensure gamers and computer users can get them before the miners, but whether or not that's just marketing talk, who knows. I didn't investigate it at all.

If you're just doing light photo and video editing and the rest is standard internet stuff, then an integrated GPU is probably fine if you can manage any heat issues, I would think.

If you're just doing light photo and video editing and the rest is standard internet stuff, then an integrated GPU is probably fine if you can manage any heat issues, I would think.
I would check your video-editing software technical requirements very carefully indeed, especially if you plan on doing version upgrades in the future.
(For example, the latest version of mine requires the following minimums: NVIDIA® GeForce GTX or RTX 9XX series or higher with 4GB, AMD/ATI® Radeon with 4GB and VCE 3.0 or higher (Radeon Pro series with 8GB for HDR and 32 bit projects), or Intel® GPU HD Graphics 530 series or higher.)

I kinda got lucky.

I don't do video editing and heavy graphics work.. but I bought a good laptop pre-covid/GPU/Chip shortage.

Recently, I've been buying lower-end Dells for the family. But again, no one does video or graphics work.

For anything like that ( graphics ), I have 2 Desktops also from pre-covid/GPU/Chip shortage and a Mac Book Pro from the same era.

I'm waiting until things clear up before buying anything high end myself.

Last edited:
AMD recently announced some new processors that have actual-decent integrated graphics. A lot of people are going to be using this as an upgrade route that takes care of them today, while still leaving the door open for a proper GPU once things settle down a bit. Not sure how much upgrading you want to do, but that's one option on the PC side.

For a laptop, the Apple M1 can handle video editing etc very very nicely, even some light gaming. The M1's have Apple's highest single-core performance. Surprisingly powerful for the price, but still some minor hiccups (Like needing the beta version of Premiere Pro for now) but Rosetta takes care of a lot of it. There's a mac mini if you want a desktop, a MacBook air, and a MacBook pro... Performance-wise, they're all using the same chip so they're all very close, just different form factors.

If you buy the M1, be sure to get at least 16GB ram or probably better 32GB.

I'm very dissapointed with the performance of my 8GB.

I'm very dissapointed with the performance of my 8GB.

Hah, same, good advice. I'm really happy with it overall but I definitely feel the bottleneck with the ram. Will prob get the next version with more ram and sell this one or use it for a media center or something.

I use my Macbook M1, it's a perfect laptop for living a digital nomad-style lifestyle.

Usually, work with 5-6 tabs open at the same time and maybe some excel. I don't feel 8Gb being a bottleneck.

I even bought one for my top-performing hire and he loves it.

Some light gaming with emulators works better than expected. I believe in a few generations this new chip will actually be good for mainstream gaming also.

Wish it was waterproof somehow haha.

It doesn't really matter how many tabs you have open when Chrome / Brave / Chromium leak memory like crazy.

I use my Macbook M1, it's a perfect laptop for living a digital nomad-style lifestyle.

Usually, work with 5-6 tabs open at the same time and maybe some excel. I don't feel 8Gb being a bottleneck.

I even bought one for my top-performing hire and he loves it.

Some light gaming with emulators works better than expected. I believe in a few generations this new chip will actually be good for mainstream gaming also.

Wish it was waterproof somehow haha.
Which MacBook did you go with? I'm assuming the Air.

It doesn't really matter how many tabs you have open when Chrome / Brave / Chromium leak memory like crazy.
I've been using Safari as my daily driver for the past year and have felt zero need to use a Blink-based browser. I do have Brave installed for testing though.

MacBook air M1,

Is this real life? Is this just fantasy?

I thought 4x more tabs open at the same time was the min. needed to perform work-related tasks.
Imagine I love saving things on my desktop as well, ahahhahaha, I'm a so called desktop saver

A friend mentioned to me the M2 yesterday

This is about to be released correct?

I know absolutely nothing about mac b/c how to edit graphics... asi studied commercial design int he University. But I never took one home......... I kept my PC

A friend mentioned to me the M2 yesterday

This is about to be released correct?

I know absolutely nothing about mac b/c how to edit graphics... asi studied commercial design int he University. But I never took one home......... I kept my PC
Yeah m2 will be the next version but I'm not sure when it will be released.

Either way, I think macOS is better than Windows in terms of productivity and terminal use, but you can use virtualization to use Windows on it as well.

Most adobe products support m1 https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html

Back